Sign in to follow this  
super dave

chris martin

That''d be a good deal for all parties. He clearly has talent and bags of potential, but he''s not going to get games with us any time soon. Brighton are a great club with an excellent manager who can hopefully help him progress to the level we all know he is capable of reaching.

The price is good but I hope there''s a decent sell-on included!

I''d love to see him make a breakthrough and carve a name for himself.It happened for Grant Holt at City, so why not our local boy Chris?

I like Martin, but it''s difficult to see what he offers that is good enough for the Premier League.

He''s a decent finisher, but lacks that bit of pace to trouble the best defenders.

He''s an intelligent footballer*, who plays that second striker role very nicely, but you wouldn''t pick him ahead of Wes or Howson in that position

I would love a local boy to be playing for us regularly in the Prem, but I just can''t see it. As you say, Cluck, Holt has blossomed in his late 20s, but he has the physical presence which Martin lacks.

Hope I''m wrong, but think it''s the end of the road for him.

*this is not the same as being an intelligent man.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]I like Martin, but it''s difficult to see what he offers that is good enough for the Premier League. He''s a decent finisher, but lacks that bit of pace to trouble the best defenders. He''s an intelligent footballer*, who plays that second striker role very nicely, but you wouldn''t pick him ahead of Wes or Howson in that position I would love a local boy to be playing for us regularly in the Prem, but I just can''t see it. As you say, Cluck, Holt has blossomed in his late 20s, but he has the physical presence which Martin lacks. Hope I''m wrong, but think it''s the end of the road for him. *this is not the same as being an intelligent man.[/quote]

I agree with every word. He''ll never be a Prem player.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]I like Martin, but it''s difficult to see what he offers that is good enough for the Premier League. He''s a decent finisher, but lacks that bit of pace to trouble the best defenders. He''s an intelligent footballer*, who plays that second striker role very nicely, but you wouldn''t pick him ahead of Wes or Howson in that position I would love a local boy to be playing for us regularly in the Prem, but I just can''t see it. As you say, Cluck, Holt has blossomed in his late 20s, but he has the physical presence which Martin lacks. Hope I''m wrong, but think it''s the end of the road for him. *this is not the same as being an intelligent man.[/quote]

[/quote]Unlike Cody of course Paul [:D]

[quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]Unlike Cody of course Paul [:D][/quote]Be fair Lord, didn''t Cody score in his last match? [8-|]

But is it all about being a ''Prem player''?There''s more to English football than the over-hyped over-priced Premier League....If either of my boys made ''Championship'' level I would be very proud of them... and they would still make a very good living out of it.

Cody is just biding his time. He''ll still be the next Messi.

[quote user="Jeremy Cluckson"]But is it all about being a ''Prem player''?There''s more to English football than the over-hyped over-priced Premier League....If either of my boys made ''Championship'' level I would be very proud of them... and they would still make a very good living out of it.[/quote]Absolutely Cluck. I think it''s a massive achievement to make it to any level of "league" football, especially given how competitive the sport is these days.Let''s be honest, everyone strives to be the best, but there''s no shame in being a lower league player.

[quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

Unlike Cody of course Paul [:D]
[/quote]

Cody is still unproven whereas Martin is proven not good enough IMO.   

Thats ridiculous, Martin is not proven not good enough, he showed he was quite capable of playing at this level, he didn''t shine, but he wasn''t rubbish.

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

Unlike Cody of course Paul [:D]
[/quote]

Be fair Lord, didn''t Cody score in his last match? [8-|]
[/quote]

His last two matches actually after a couple of months out through injury. 

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Thats ridiculous, Martin is not proven not good enough, he showed he was quite capable of playing at this level, he didn''t shine, but he wasn''t rubbish.[/quote]

Not rubbish but too pedestrian for the Prem IMO.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Well I think Bryan Ruiz is too pedestrian for the Prem, hasn''t done him any harm at Fulham has it...[/quote]

Martin also has other failings that others with green and yellow tinted specs can''t see.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Well I think Bryan Ruiz is too pedestrian for the Prem, hasn''t done him any harm at Fulham has it...[/quote]

Martin also has other failings that others with green and yellow tinted specs can''t see.

[/quote]Rather have those than a pair of Cody Goggles.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

I don''t have green and yellow tinted specs, i''m perfectly capable of seeing things impartially. People who think fans views are completely restricted by the team they support are, well I don''t want to be rude so I won''t carry on.

Obviously it is just a rumour but I think if someone offers Norwich £1.2 million for a player you expect to be largely on fringes of the squad next year should he stay, then some serious consideration needs to be given to that offer. Next season will be an incredibly tough one for us and I think particular areas of the squad need to be urgently addresssed. In particular the full back area (due to injuries and loan arrangements) and the centre forward area. So any cash which can be freed up to help would be most welcome..

[quote user="Jacko"]

Obviously it is just a rumour but I think if someone offers Norwich £1.2 million for a player you expect to be largely on fringes of the squad next year should he stay, then some serious consideration needs to be given to that offer. Next season will be an incredibly tough one for us and I think particular areas of the squad need to be urgently addresssed. In particular the full back area (due to injuries and loan arrangements) and the centre forward area. So any cash which can be freed up to help would be most welcome..

[/quote]

Agree with that Jacko. Any bid by Brighton (or anyone else) of over £1m  for Chris Martin ,and we should bite theitr hands off.

I don''t really understand Cluck''s remark about " Premier Lge not being the be-all and end-all" etc etc. The fact is that whether he likes it or not , that''s the league that Norwich City is in, and, as such we need a squad full of players who can excel at that level . Martin is not, and I doubt ever will be, in that category . I accept that he could , in theory make the grade some time in the future, but Norwich are not the sort of club who have the luxury of  being able to have squad players for years on end who "might" make it . Just look at some of the quality PL has bought for £1m or less. Surely better to put that cash to good use ?

[quote user="pete_norw"]

I thought Palace were going to bid 3mil for him? If we are to believe all that we read.

[/quote].........i doubt that palace have the means to bid anywhere near that figure for him. if they do put in an offer i would expect it to be nearer £500,000.

For £500k I would actually be more tempted to hang onto him as he could be useful as the 5th striker. As well as Alby has done in recent games I would be surprised if he got offered a new deal.

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"][quote user="Jacko"]

[/quote]

Agree with that Jacko. Any bid by Brighton (or anyone else) of over £1m  for Chris Martin ,and we should bite theitr hands off.

I don''t really understand Cluck''s remark about " Premier Lge not being the be-all and end-all" etc etc. The fact is that whether he likes it or not , that''s the league that Norwich City is in, and, as such we need a squad full of players who can excel at that level . Martin is not, and I doubt ever will be, in that category . I accept that he could , in theory make the grade some time in the future, but Norwich are not the sort of club who have the luxury of  being able to have squad players for years on end who "might" make it . Just look at some of the quality PL has bought for £1m or less. Surely better to put that cash to good use ?

[/quote]We''ve been in the Premier League how many years within the past 15 years? Proper football exists and flourishes outside the top flight and as a club we''ve had more experience of that than anything else in over 100 years.  Let''s just say I''m a realist and next season will be a lot tougher than this one.As for Chris Martin... I wish the lad well wherever he goes. Clearly he doesn''t fit in with Lambert''s plans and that''s good enough for me.

Most players are best to move to fresh pastures as it is rare to make it at home, unless in a large conurbation. It sort of makes you wonder about Academies.

[quote user="Jeremy Cluckson"]We''ve been in the Premier League how many years within the past 15 years? Proper football exists and flourishes outside the top flight and as a club we''ve had more experience of that than anything else in over 100 years.  Let''s just say I''m a realist and next season will be a lot tougher than this one.

[/quote]

Well, yes, Cluck, I think most of us are aware of the stats on that.

But the fact remains that we are currently a Premier Lge club, and the vast majority of us would like that to continue (even if you don''t) . You don''t have the monopoly on "realism", and yes, next season is going to be very tough. All the more reason then surely, to fill the squad with people who can compete effectively at Prem level ? As you rightly say, however, if PL does not see Martin as part of that picture, then let''s sell him asap.

It all depends on how Lambert sees it.  Is Chrissy boy going to play the Wilbraham role if Wilbraham leaves?  Remember also, Chrissy boy was picked over Holt in the first game.  So Lambert might think he still has something in him.

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"]

[quote user="Jeremy Cluckson"]We''ve been in the Premier League how many years within the past 15 years? Proper football exists and flourishes outside the top flight and as a club we''ve had more experience of that than anything else in over 100 years.  Let''s just say I''m a realist and next season will be a lot tougher than this one.[/quote]

Well, yes, Cluck, I think most of us are aware of the stats on that.

But the fact remains that we are currently a Premier Lge club, and the vast majority of us would like that to continue (even if you don''t) . You don''t have the monopoly on "realism", and yes, next season is going to be very tough. All the more reason then surely, to fill the squad with people who can compete effectively at Prem level ? As you rightly say, however, if PL does not see Martin as part of that picture, then let''s sell him asap.

[/quote]Enough said........Next.

[quote user="Jeremy Cluckson"]

Enough said........

Next.
[/quote]

Well, point taken, Cluck.

But with your constant gripes and moans and your narrow views on the Premier League, it has to be said that you do a damned good impression of someone who''d prefer Norwich to be well out of it.........