Sign in to follow this  
Dave

This years Barry Butler award deserved by many

Good or bad season every year there are normally 1 or 2 stand out players who deserve the award.

This year is so different the whole squad has played as a fantastic team and I think they all deserve it jointly.

I''m sure the same was said last year, but thats not how it works. I''m sure all of those players know (and will be told by Lambert) they have all done brilliantly, every player, ever the fringe players have played there part.

I think Holt should get it, a third great season, and a hattrick of POTS awards for him would be fantastic. Have a feeling Ruddy might win it though.

They are the two standouts I guess. But they have all been great. Ruddy''s save was a game changer today. If we had gone 2-1 down that really would have been an uphill battle. But Holty offers you so much inspiration with his leadership and goals. What a tough decision. But a lovely change from the days of Lee "Buzz Lightyear" Croft and Sammy "Sideways" Clingan battling it out for the award.

Ask who our side can least do without? Who we have not done without?

No one has ever won a hat-trick of POTS and it is tough on others but Grant Holt is difficult to look beyond.

Yeah, I think Holty.

Considering Morison has stopped scoring, Jackson only has 2 or 3 in the league. Surman, Pilks and others only contribute occasionally, without Holt''s goals in recent months we would be in a relegation battle. Morison did very well early on, with Holt just playing a (still very effective) bit part, but since what, Everton away? He has been absolutely fantastic.

[quote user="The Gruffalo"]Pilkington must be fairly high up the POTS list too.[/quote]If he had played more often then he would be in pole position methinks.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Yeah, I think Holty.

Considering Morison has stopped scoring, Jackson only has 2 or 3 in the league. Surman, Pilks and others only contribute occasionally, without Holt''s goals in recent months we would be in a relegation battle. Morison did very well early on, with Holt just playing a (still very effective) bit part, but since what, Everton away? He has been absolutely fantastic.[/quote]

GP - 8 goals from midfield from a player who has not played in the Premiership before is certainly not to be sniffed at.

Pilkington and Tierney and two that should be considered definitely.

If Tierney hadn''t have been out for so long he would be right up there too.

As for Pilkers, today proved how much we''ve missed him in recent weeks.

Holt has led his team for a third succesful season and is one of our all-time leading scorers. It doesn''t get much better than that. Ruddy certainly deserves it but for me, there can only be one winner. Holt it is.

I''d say there are two front runners for it, Ruddy and Holt. But I believe this is partly down to the fact they have been injury free/consistent all season. If you look at the start of the season, Tierney won the first two club player of the months. Had he not of got this injury lay off this year, he could of won it. If Howson had been here all season, he''d be up there. Whitbread also, as he has had a few injuries.

Naughton, Russell Martin, Fox, Pilkington and Morison have all had good seasons, too.

There are many heroes but this has truly been Holt''s season.

To start with many of your own fans doubting you can be more than a bit player and to end it as the leader of a team which has astounded the pundits, as a leading goal scorer in the top league in the world and as the source of national debate regarding playing for England is beyond dreams.   There can only be one player of the season.

When do we start the campaign for Holt as Player of the Year?   Scott Parker showed you don''t need to be with a big club to win.

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]

I''d say there are two front runners for it, Ruddy and Holt. But I believe this is partly down to the fact they have been injury free/consistent all season. If you look at the start of the season, Tierney won the first two club player of the months. Had he not of got this injury lay off this year, he could of won it. If Howson had been here all season, he''d be up there. Whitbread also, as he has had a few injuries.

Naughton, Russell Martin, Fox, Pilkington and Morison have all had good seasons, too.

[/quote]

Also, those are the two eye-catching positions - saving the goals and scoring them. Of the others, from what little I''ve seen, I would say Pilkington stands out. Fans wondered whether Holt would make the transition from the second tier to the first, but Pilkington has made jumped two divisions quite effortlessly.

I think Holt will win it by a country mile as what he has done recently is clearly in everyones minds. Personally my vote goes with Ruddy as he has put in the best performance over the whole season rather than just the last few weeks. IMO he has been the most consistent performer for the whole year especially remembering how he got over the Norwich fans giving him some stick when he first came.

Personally I would go for Ruddy. Firstly, I think he has rescued at least as many points with his saves, as Holt has won with his goals, and secondly, I don''t think goalkeepers generally get the credit they deserve, compared to strikers.