Sign in to follow this  
Monty13

Drury

(First post, be gentle, but this has really started to get to me)

I really don''t understand why whenever threads about next seasons squad pop up, Drury''s name is always prominent (or in the case of the last thread first!) to be out the door. Even if you completely ignore the fact that he''s been a great servant to the club for over ten years, which is fair enough as PL has never struck me as the sentimental type, I can''t honestly understand why so many fans on here want to see him go.

In my opinion he should get another year for the following reasons:

A) I have watched every game this year (admittedly mostly online) and in every game I have seen him play I don''t really remember him putting much of a foot wrong. He has kept some top players generally under control.

B) He can''t cost that much in wages, and we won''t have to pay for a replacement.

C) If we replace him we need to replace him with equal quality. That''s not cheap. We will also either be trying to get Naughton or another quality right back and I don''t think PL will want to spend the same amount on the left side. Which brings me on to...

D) What''s the point of replacing one back up LB with another at a significant cost? Next time we buy a LB surely it will be one that''s meant to start, that''s how PL usually buys players. The we need to have players leave for the 25 man squad argument doesn''t make much sense in his case as we need a backup LB, you can''t juggle the squad around that fact.

E) While I believe we have shown you don''t need Premiership experience to do well, we do have quite a young squad now and keeping some of the older heads around in the dressing room, that have seen the rough times not just the good, is probably a good idea.

I know its a risk with every signing but I genuinely believe he is one player we could spend a hefty amount on to replace, pay bigger wages too his replacement and not improve the squad. So why bother? Wait till we can afford to buy a quality LB and spend the money in the summer elsewhere where most people on here from reading seem to think its more vitally needed. That all being said I can see him going if PL has someone in mind that none of us know of as a quality replacement. But why people on this forum are so keen for him to go with no idea who that would be is beyond me.....

I like Drury, wouldnt get rid of him but,

He isnt getting any younger and would ideally like someone that provides more going forward.

I think we have missed Tierneys explosive pace and aggression.

[quote user="CDMullins"]

He isnt getting any younger and would ideally like someone that provides more going forward.

[/quote]

He isn''t getting younger but at 33/34 I think he would be good for one more year. I agree he doesn''t offer as much going forward but would also argue (in my opinion) that he is a better man marker and tackler than Tierney so offers something different if not better. I also thought against Tottenham he was getting forward a lot more than usual, I definitely think PL can teach an old dog new tricks and if he is working harder on that part of his game its all for the better, but you are right, going forward he will never offer what Tierney was at the start of the season, he was immense at times.

I would imagine Drury, like Wilbraham, is a very prominent figure in the dressing room. I believe he''s got a couple of years left yet, and will probably retire here too.

Think he''ll be offered a 1-year contract.

Good professional, has been sound defensively in most games he''s figured in, and sounds like he''s good to have around the dressing room.

Tierney''s ongoing injury, which probably requires surgery, also suggests we need Drury for cover.

Agree with pretty much everything the OP says except....

[quote user="Monty13"] B) He can''t cost that much in wages, and we won''t have to pay for a replacement.[/quote]

He''s been here ten years and this is his second time in the Premier League. And he is a former captain. I would imagine he is at the higher end of our wage scale. And deservedly so.

I''d certainly give him another year at the very least. He''s hardly put a foot wrong since coming into the side and although I would agree that we miss Tierney and the aggression and positivity he brings us going forward Drury is a better defender for me. Get Tierney fit over the summer and offer Drury another year and I don''t hink we need to worry about bringing in any new left back.

Drury has been absolutely fantastic this season, barely put a foot wrong in any game I''ve seen him in. At the start of campaign I thought he would get found out for pace but his excellent positional sense and tackling ability has seen it very rarely be exposed. Definitely good for one more year at least in my mind. Would then love to have him on the coaching staff afterwards, seems very level headed and would be a great influence.

[quote user="CDMullins"]

[/quote]

Seems like I am gonna be at odds with most people here.

He''s played well this season thats for sure but as pointed out above - His age and his lack of attacking are his weak areas.

Plus, we may not be in the Prem forever and I believe we should invest in younger players as if we need to generate money no one is going to want Drury. We must always plan for the future by reducing debt and having players worth who are worth something to other clubs.

We have Tierney on the left and Martin on the right and in my opinion we should be looking at a player like Naughton with the same set of talents and at the same age on both flanks.

Thats not to say we should necessarily get rid of Drury.

Would love to see Drury get another year. That and, if he''s into coaching and doing his badges, getting him involved at the Academy. With our upgrade to A status we''ll need some good people in and around it and running it and, for me, Adam being there, the person and the player would be ideal.

He just oozes class at every level-again, as a person or a player. Has never made a fuss, never stirred things up, has done a job whenever asked and just fitted in right from day 1. It would be beyond weird to see him playing for another team now.

Hucks reckons he is the best left back he has played with-and Hucks will have seen a few, including Ian Harte who isn''t too shabby himself.

Lambert seems to value having "good pro''s" around the place-for what they offer at Colney, socially and in the dressing room as much as they do on the pitch. Drury (along with Wilbs and Lappin) seem to fit right in there as far as that is concerned, just as others have in the past- Malky, Iwan and Lord Nelson to name but three. I suspect its a legacy of his time in Germany where clubs are very much more rounded holistically and emphasis is placed on the whole club and its "people", not just the first team.

We may have got shot of Malky and Iwan a year too soon, retaining them for the reasons given above might have been a good option back in 2004. But thats a debate with opposing sides and one that could run and run. I''d have kept them on for those reasons but then again I''ve got this naive notion that these things are important!

But yes, keeping Drury on-I hope so. And, as importantly, for footballing reasons (good grief!) as well, and as the OP has pointed out. He knows how to play still, the Italian defenders are masters of the art of playing when their legs are going, its about awareness and being able to read the game. We have missed Tierney and I hope he''s back and running at 100% again in pre-season but, as far as cover and being a squad and team man is concerned, I hope Drury stays put.

If we are honest, we''ve been pretty lucky with injuries this season, particularly to key players . I know we''ve had the ongoing Vaughan/ Tierney thing, and Ward was out for a while. Also Ayala. But none of these have been core first team shoo-ins. We may not be so lucky next season, so all the more reason why people like Drury and Russell Martin are such important players to have in the squad . It''s not easy to pick up versatility and consistency like they display, particularly on the sort of budget Norwich have.

I''m not sure age is a relevant issue in this at all. Let''s face it; MoanUre have had pretty good service out ogf Giggs and Scholes this season, and they are ancient compared to Drury.  If Adam keeps himself in good shape, I can''t see any reason why , on and off, he should not be good for another 2 years.

Interesting thread - before the Spurs game I was surprised that PL played Drury for as much as 75 mins on the Saturday, I was expecting him to rest Drury on the Saturday (maybe bring him on as sub) with Naughton being unavailable for the Spurs game 2 days later.  As it happened, Drury did really well for the full 90 on Monday, so good decision by PL to give our back for of Drury Ward Bennet Martin more playing time to bed in together on the Saturday.

So I''d be surprised if Drury isn''t kept for another year or two at least.  It''s a squad game and he''s performed well this season, especially Monday, we need players like him.

In my opinion Drury is better in attack than many are giving him credit for.

As has already been mentioned Drury is very good defensively, he reads the game very well and his positional sense is excellent.

Drury the man, what a character and as has been previously mentioned he is ''pure class''.  A quality player, pro and man.  He has just got on with it from day 1, through thick and thin, no fuss, no problems, pure quality.

One thing that really impresses me with Drury is that he can be out of the team for weeks or months, then he just seemlessly fits back in when called upon.

You may get some younger defender who can bomb forward quicker than Drury, but to find a player with this and as rounded as Drury with all of his attributes, well does one even exist? And if so you''d probably be looking at one of the best in the country, if not the best who would cost a fortune.

Is Tierney better than Drury? Different yes, better no.

Wondering if Drury could play as a sweeper?

We''d have to play the system of course-under Mike Walker we play a 1-3-4-2 formation at times which was basically the standard back 4 on paper but with Cully roaming behind Butterworth, Polston and Bowen -who had support from either Gossy or Gary Megson, so, being fanciful it was almost a 1-3-1-3-2 at times, or looked it!

Cully read the game and did the job well. Wonder if Adam could?

Hypothetical of course, can''t see Lambo playing a sweeper but an interesting one! I know 4-1-4-1 is also seen as a sweeper formation but that "1" in front of the midfield four is more of a defensive midfielder to me rather than the traditional ''libero'' prowling at the back and mopping up.

We are all assuming that drury wants to stay and be second or third choice left back.

Would imagine there will be a host of championship clubs lining up to offer him a 2 or 3 year contract something he might not get if he stays on the bench at Norwich next year

I would like him to stay but would you turn down 250k to stay loyal to your employers just saying

Fair point Ulf-we may have the Adam love but it might not be so reciprocal if a Derby County come along with a 2 year contract, signing on fee and £10k a week!

Well I reckon Drury''s our best left back. Have said so all season. The only issue I would have is fitness. It was a monumental effort to do the 90 on Monday and he was suffering at the end. I reckon fitness is the only issue that would prevent him being first choice. I don''t see a problem with giving him another contract. And I don''t see a problem with it being for two years. We will after all be getting the Premier League millions for the length of that contract whatever happens.

i have been critical of Drury in the past but think he has been superb this season!Solid and dependable when relied upon and has done a fantastic job.he has matured into a fine left back, last time out in the premiership i thought he was out of position far too much, lightweight and lost too many tackles leading to us conceding alot of goals due to his mistakes.This season has been his best yet with us imo,. whilst i dont think he will be here next season if this is his swansong for us then what a great way to go out.

i think a fully fit drury, and it appears he is over his injury problems, is still our best pure defender, and that is primarily what a full back is supposed to be. it''s very nice to have the great all round full back but they are very rare and conversely, very expensive. i would be very surprised, and disappointed, if adam is not still with us next season. one of the clubs truly great servants. [Y]

Quick plug....Adam will be live on The Scrimmage tonight at 6pm on BBC Radio Norfolk.You can put forward questions for him on Twitter using #AskAdam.Or call us on 01603 617321....we will endeavour to read out all questions.Add Paul McVeigh as a friend on Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/pmcveigh77 if you''d rather just leave a question on his wall.Should be a good listen.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Do you have an email address for those of us who don''t twitter?

[/quote]

Ask your question here and I will put it to him.

[quote user="mrbrutler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Do you have an email address for those of us who don''t twitter?

[/quote] Ask your question here and I will put it to him.[/quote]

Sorry, I didn''t have a question. I wanted to send you an email about something unrelated.

My email addy is canaryeddie@aol.com

Definitely offer a 1-year contract. Once again he''s been reliable and consistent when called upon. I believe he would take the offer rather then uprooting his family for the sake of a 2-year deal.