Sign in to follow this  
Brighton Yellow

Away fans at Spurs - an absolute disgrace

[quote user="Harry"] 6, BW what is wrong with with our wig wearing fans? Personally I don''t want to wear a wig, I''m quite content wearing my shirt but can accept that people can wear what they want, up until a few weeks ago I lived oposite the daughter of the older guy who is quite often pictured wearing the green and yellow spikey wig, she was telling me that he is a home and away season ticket holder and goes to all the preseason games so who are you to tell him what he can and can''t wear?[/quote]

Spot on Harry. Who gives a toss what people choose to wear as long as they''re supporting City? I find it ironic that the people who are usually talking about being embarassed by wigs, morph suits or facepainting are almost invariably the ones who don''t attend away games. If someone is prepared to lay out the significant cost of an away day they can wear what the hell they want IMHO.

[quote user="Rob Sims"],however i went to see an NFL game in New York and it seems alot of the NY giants fans don''t like each other.Saw 2 fights, and all you can drink there is bud light. and it stops at the beginning of the 3rd quarter.crazyiness.[/quote]the barbeques, tail gates and none stop party in the car park leading up to the start of the match might have something tod o with it...Sod the giants... take a trip upstate next time to Orchard Park, Buffalo... the Bills arent the team they used to be but being New york states "3rd" team you get a welcome warmer than any other in the NFL im told.

[quote user="Dicky"]

[quote user="Canarykeg"][quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]Didn''t see anything of the sort at Craven Cottage last week....utterly disgraceful if true.[/quote]I did see one guy punch another one during half-time at the cottage. Not entirely sure why but it was a pretty solid connection. Apart from that everyone seemed to be on their best behaviour.[/quote]

The bigger bloke had called the smaller bloke''s girlfriend a slag because she was smoking.  Smaller bloke landed a corker on him - totally deserved in my opinion.  Bigger bloke looked all embarassed and tried to get the stewards involved.  All good wholesome fun ;-)

[/quote]Ah, that''ll be fair enough then. I was walking past and missed what had been said.To be fair I thought the bigger bloke took the punch pretty well. Stewards were already on their way there though, walked straight past me a moment later and were making a bee-line for the two of them.

Yes do that Shaker Maker and afterwards explain how you misinterpreted the OPs intent to point out that a small minority let down fans like your brother and three friends.

Good job!!

[quote user="Harry"]

IMO the reason people behave differently at away games is probably a combination of 2 things, away games are an all day event when travelling is included and you have a concentration of supporters in a small area who want to stand and be vocal where at Carrow Road they are spread around the ground.

[/quote]`

Thanks for that Harry. I think maybe you''re right but some of it doesn''t make sense to me. My seat is LB E rowW so I spend the whole match on my feet at home. The atmosphere is the same as away from home for me. Sometimes better. I can get involved with banter and sling abuse at the away fans. Nobody behind me tells me to sit down. Nobody complains about language. I watch the posh fans taking their seats elsewhere in the stadium. I watch them remain seated during the game. If anybody enters their posh areas and stands in front of them they are told to sit down. If anyone stands up and screams at the ref that he''s a fecking bellend they''re told about their language. But when these fans travel away from home it''s like they go into the local phonebox as a prim and proper Jarrold Boy and come out transformed into beer drinking potty mouthed Barclay Boy for the day.[;)]

But to be serious for a minute I think we have a responsibility to help eachother. If someone is too old or young to be able to enjoy the game from their seat because of those around them then we should find a way to help them out. City fans fighting amongst themselves is one of the most abhorrent things I can imagine at a game. We should look after our own.

The idea that travelling away to a football match means that a fan can behave in a way they would never dream of behaving at any other time is one of the reasons why the future of the game was threatened in this country back in the 80s. It took many deaths to change that culture. I''m not suggesting that any of this is like it was then but the principle is the same.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

To be fair to BW I tend to agree. The number of grown men who seem to feel the need to dress up like t**ts at our away games is embarrassing. Fancy dress last game of the season used to be the tradition but some of our fans seem to feel the need to do it every game. You don''t see it from fans coming to carrow road so why do we feel we have to do it everywhere we go or that taking 500 beachballs somehow creates a "special" atmosphere. Hopefully now we''ve stayed up then next season a few people will stop treating our away games like some kind of once in a lifetime funday and dressing up like complete prats. Look at the photo of our players and fans celebrating Benno''s goal at Spurs if any further proof were needed.

[/quote]

I reckon this is your little hobby horse Jimmy[;)]

But if anybody suggested what you should wear and if you didn''t tow the line you should go support the scum you wouldn''t be so quick to agree.

What do you see our fans doing that other clubs fans don''t do?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I''m afraid you - and Archant - are in serious legal trouble, nutty. My eye-wateringly expensive lawyers got a Ryan Giggs-style super injunction months ago forbidding publication of this photograph of me, taken in a purely private context at the Chateau PurpleCanary Christmas party.

[quote user="nutty nigel"] 

I reckon this is your little hobby horse Jimmy[;)]

But if anybody suggested what you should wear and if you didn''t tow the line you should go support the scum you wouldn''t be so quick to agree.

What do you see our fans doing that other clubs fans don''t do?

[/quote]

Yes you could say that Nutty. I''m not advocating that fans should go and watch the sc*m and ultimately people can do what they like. If they want to dress up then so be it but i just don''t understand why we have so many fans who think it somehow adds to the atmosphere or match day experience for them to dress up like clowns, paint their faces or wave li-los around. Ok maybe once a season at the last game or if its some kind of special occasion a bit of fancy dress can be amusing but at every away game we are forced to endure the MOTD camera''s panning in on groups of our fans dressed up in some ridiculous get up. It just makes us look a bunch of mugs if you ask me. For me (aside from Cardiff) the best atmopshere''s i''ve experienced watching norwich over the last few years have been at games where such antics have been noticeable by their absence. You don''t need to be dressed like a pillock to make some noise. 

Do you really think other fans watching on the tv think "oh look at those Norwich fans in their wigs and face paint, aren''t they a laugh?" No they don''t they think "look at those weirdos wearing wigs and facepaint for a meaningless mid table game at Fulham". Other fans do not do it (or at least don''t do it as much as ours).

http://news.daylife.com/photo/0cQZbBI0hrgWW?__site=daylife - front row. Why?

Thought i would join up and give my take on what happened monday.I had a feeling of deja vu about the scuffle as the same guy swinging the punches did exactly the same thing at west brom in the cup earlier this season punching another of his own supporters, a younger lad in the head!Just to clarify there was a spurs fan sat directly in front of us, which we had no idea of until Defoe scored. By all accounts he was with a couple of Norwich fans sat in the same row, but on the other side of the aisle.Was too busy celebrating myself when Pilks scored to notice anything, but I would imagine his mates came across and gave him some stick. When Defoe scored he moved across the aisle to celebrate in his mates faces. He was way over the top and definately not the smartest idea in the world and one that got everyones backs up around that part of the ground. Eventually the stewards/police threw him out, but in the meantime it kicked off as I suspect his mates were now being thought of as Spurs fans too.I''ve sat in plenty of home stands myself for Norwich games when I couldnt get tickets for the away end over the years, and you have to be savvy enough to know when to sit on your hands! If you are going to celebrate wildly like he did, there is only going to be trouble.

There''s two in wigs Jim. And then there''s Alison who''s hair is permanently yellow & green. Or is it the shirts and scarves that pee you off? Surely you must know those people if you go away very often. Or don''t you ever talk to anyone?

I don''t get why what anyone else does reflects on you.

I''m confused.

My next away game is Arsenal, what should I wear? I don''t want to be a bellend, or a prat and I definitely don''t want to become a binner.

Perhaps someone could suggest some kind of uniform?

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]

I''m confused.

My next away game is Arsenal, what should I wear? I don''t want to be a bellend, or a prat and I definitely don''t want to become a binner.

Perhaps someone could suggest some kind of uniform?

[/quote]

A green morph suit ?

"Perhaps someone could suggest some kind of uniform?"

Some people would like you to wear sackcloth & ashes. Probably forever.

Fck up though.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Harry"] 6, BW what is wrong with with our wig wearing fans? Personally I don''t want to wear a wig, I''m quite content wearing my shirt but can accept that people can wear what they want, up until a few weeks ago I lived oposite the daughter of the older guy who is quite often pictured wearing the green and yellow spikey wig, she was telling me that he is a home and away season ticket holder and goes to all the preseason games so who are you to tell him what he can and can''t wear?[/quote]

Spot on Harry. Who gives a toss what people choose to wear as long as they''re supporting City? I find it ironic that the people who are usually talking about being embarassed by wigs, morph suits or facepainting are almost invariably the ones who don''t attend away games. If someone is prepared to lay out the significant cost of an away day they can wear what the hell they want IMHO.

[/quote]

I don''t attend away games are you joking? I may have not done much recently due to work but i have been to places such as exeter stockport and visited over 60 away grounds. Had away season tickets 4 times and certainly done my fair share of away games. Now can you re-clarify what exactly is your point.

Harry, you''re right.

On your point about standing generally at away games, I can further elaborate on the problem.

Away fans can very often spend several hundred pounds on that day on travel, tickets, food, extras and booze. Add to this, in my case particularly, that returning home full of vim and vigour after yet another big away performance, I tend to go on out and celebrate long into the night.

Also, away games can take up a whole weekend. For example, I stayed with friends on Friday night in Cardiff before the Swansea game, returning to London at 10pm on Saturday. Essentially over 24 hours of travelling and planning for 90 minutes of football.

As such, for 90 minutes of football we spend a fortune and a lot of time and effort getting to and fro. I, for one, make the most of the 90 minutes, singing hard and getting firmly into it. This involves standing for the duration. One doesn''t spend all that time, effort and money to sit quietly for 90 minutes.

Therein lies the problem. I came to (verbal) blows with fellow, more senior, NCFC fans at Swansea when they insisted our little section should sit, whereas the rest of the 3000 away fans were standing. I regret the altercation, and my fiancee has since exchanged apologies (in Stoke), but it was unavoidable at the time. We moved elsewhere at half time and the 2nd half was immense for obvious reasons (team and fans were magnificent).

Given that most of us want to stand, and in order to accommodate the many while placating the few, it could be suggested that those who need to sit through need or desire, ask to be allocated seats at the front.

I wonder whether this is too much to ask though. At Swansea we were able to move as some of the Capital Canaries lot had some spare seats with them, but at other stadiums this may not be possible.

I hate arguing with my own, but one doesn''t devote a weekend to 90 minutes of football, only to sit meekly throughout the game.

Perhaps as I get older this view will change. I hope not.

Anyway OTBC

Mozza, disabled supporters can''t stand, not because they don''t want, to but because they can''t. I don''t think they would take too kindly to you describing them as "meekly sitting".

[quote user="mozzaman"]Harry, you''re right. On your point about standing generally at away games, I can further elaborate on the problem. Away fans can very often spend several hundred pounds on that day on travel, tickets, food, extras and booze. Add to this, in my case particularly, that returning home full of vim and vigour after yet another big away performance, I tend to go on out and celebrate long into the night. Also, away games can take up a whole weekend. For example, I stayed with friends on Friday night in Cardiff before the Swansea game, returning to London at 10pm on Saturday. Essentially over 24 hours of travelling and planning for 90 minutes of football. As such, for 90 minutes of football we spend a fortune and a lot of time and effort getting to and fro. I, for one, make the most of the 90 minutes, singing hard and getting firmly into it. This involves standing for the duration. One doesn''t spend all that time, effort and money to sit quietly for 90 minutes. Therein lies the problem. I came to (verbal) blows with fellow, more senior, NCFC fans at Swansea when they insisted our little section should sit, whereas the rest of the 3000 away fans were standing. I regret the altercation, and my fiancee has since exchanged apologies (in Stoke), but it was unavoidable at the time. We moved elsewhere at half time and the 2nd half was immense for obvious reasons (team and fans were magnificent). Given that most of us want to stand, and in order to accommodate the many while placating the few, it could be suggested that those who need to sit through need or desire, ask to be allocated seats at the front. I wonder whether this is too much to ask though. At Swansea we were able to move as some of the Capital Canaries lot had some spare seats with them, but at other stadiums this may not be possible. I hate arguing with my own, but one doesn''t devote a weekend to 90 minutes of football, only to sit meekly throughout the game. Perhaps as I get older this view will change. I hope not. Anyway OTBC[/quote]

Hi Mozza...

Did the guy you came to verbal blows with spend a fortune on his day too? Or did he get it cheap?

While I sympathise with those who want to stand. And I prefer it that way too although it''s becoming more difficult. We are standing in seated areas. We are the ones in the wrong. So the least we could do would be to try and help people who need to sit.

Hi Nutty,

Totally understand. It''s a battle of wills between a loud majority and a small minority who don''t want to be bullied into standing up.

The only way around it is for those who insist on standing (me for example) to ask the club to give us seats near the back, while conversely those who insist on sitting asking to be sat near the front. After Swansea, I asked the club to arrange this for me, and I''ve been happily near the back, standing in no-ones way and getting involved.

We must compromise so we all realise value for money and enjoy ourselves, in our different ways.

As for the disabled Marvin, of course not. Disabled fans, and Norwich have a large cohort of which we can be proud, tend to be sat near the front anyway, therefore negating the problem I''m talking about. Please don''t muddy the waters on a genuine issue on which I think we all broadly agree, despite having different perspectives. This board often gets muddy with rancour and rubbish, and keen to avoid that here.

As it goes, the more senior gentlemen with which my cohort has a brief verbal altercation with, have since bumped into my fiancee (at Stoke) and the air is cleared, I understand. I think we all regretted it, and, for our part, we have at least taken steps to avoid this in future by being seated higher up (behind them) in future.

[quote user="Canarykeg"][quote user="Dicky"]

[quote user="Canarykeg"][quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]Didn''t see anything of the sort at Craven Cottage last week....utterly disgraceful if true.
[/quote]
I did see one guy punch another one during half-time at the cottage. Not entirely sure why but it was a pretty solid connection. Apart from that everyone seemed to be on their best behaviour.
[/quote]

The bigger bloke had called the smaller bloke''s girlfriend a slag because she was smoking.  Smaller bloke landed a corker on him - totally deserved in my opinion.  Bigger bloke looked all embarassed and tried to get the stewards involved.  All good wholesome fun ;-)

[/quote]
Ah, that''ll be fair enough then. I was walking past and missed what had been said.

To be fair I thought the bigger bloke took the punch pretty well. Stewards were already on their way there though, walked straight past me a moment later and were making a bee-line for the two of them.
[/quote]

It was just a bit behind me and i turned around just as the punch landed,and yes,the older bloke took it really well.

That was the only bit of trouble all day.

Bet I''ve seen you around the country. Bet I have seen Jim Smith too. I''m always on the look out for an "old grumpster" stabbing inflatables with a pen knife[;)] I think I''ll have ''nutty'' printed on my shirt so you can all say hi to me. My away days are over for this season though.

I always requested seats at the back when I was an away season ticket holder Mozza. It''s not so easy now I''m category two. Compromise is the word though. Always the way forward. Communicate and compromise. At Carra we''re ok. Lower Barclay Block E Row W and nobody will complain about us behaving like away fans and nobody in their right mind would buy a ticket their if they needed to sit down. Other stands you will be told to sit down and nobody in their right mind would buy a ticket there and expect to stand up. But these are unwritten rules and the problem is the law. The club couldn''t sell seats to stand and seats to sit. So as I see it the only way we can make it work so that everyone gets what they want is through communication and compromise between ourselves.

I keep reading that those who wish to sit should get seats at the front away from home, yeah that really works. I usually have back tickets & although I would prefer to sit as I''m only 5 foot, I put up with it. However on two or three occasions when there is an upper tier I have requested tickets nearer the front. Third row at Chelsea, second row at QPR and Everton..result I have had people standing in the front row & abusing me if I ask them to sit. Last season at Doncaster as there was space , those who wanted to sit moved to the side block only for 4 blokes to arrive just on kick off & insist on standing and deride those who wanted to sit as just out to spoil their night & not proper fans

[quote user="BW"] That goes to snakepit girl too you must be getting a bit old for it all now? I know you like being on the end of season review every year but we don''t want to see it.[/quote]

Whoever do you think you are or writing crap on behalf of ? I really think you need to get over yourself [:@]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="BW"] That goes to snakepit girl too you must be getting a bit old for it all now? I know you like being on the end of season review every year but we don''t want to see it.[/quote]

Whoever do you think you are or writing crap on behalf of ? I really think you need to get over yourself [:@]

[/quote]

Coming from you? Mr high and mighty pc plodington

[quote user="The 12th Devine"]Good to hear stewards finally making fans sit down as I''m sick to death of going to away games with my nine year old and him having to stand precariously on the flip up seats just to be able to see any of the action.

Anytime I ask the stewards about it they just say there''s nothing they can do, which is probably true unless the clubs really get behind them by imposing a policy of ejecting fans one by one if they don''t sit down from the off - starting on the front row.

Yes it''s a better atmosphere when you stand up but only if you''re five and a half feet tall or more. I loved the old Barclay when the terrace was in place and you could stand with groups of mates without a massive effort at organisation to coordinate seats, but it''s a long time ago now and time people accepted that we now have all seater stadia and you''ve got to put your backsides on those crappy lumps of plastic.

Clearly we don''t have the same problem at home because we can elect to go somewhere other than the Barclay lower but away games can be a real pain for families. I''ve even been to away games near the front where most people are sat down except a couple of drongos, blokes in their 40s and 50s who still think they''re 15, stood up in isolation knowing full well people are sat down behind them. Jesus, just put the same principled determination into campaigning for standing sections in each ground and you might actually get what you''re after.[/quote]It is not good at all. How boring would it be  to see all our fans sat in silence every away game. I''m sure Lambert and the team would love it.Your kid is 9, standing on a plastic seat is not too dangerous is it, not exactly hanging off the edge of Mount Everest. Though you know what you are getting with away matches, people will stand, if you''re that concerned you could always ask the ticket office for seasts down the front, in my experience the club are very good at helping with things like this. The rest of us can concentrate on getting behind the team.

Why should it be so black & white that if you stand you make noise, if you sit you don''t. That is c**p. The atmosphere at Spurs was great but looking round loads of fans were sitting and singing. As I said above it doesn''t matter even if you get a seat near the front some selfish a****e will stand up if they want to stand & accuse anyone daring to criticise of not being proper fans. Its not just kids who have problems seeing, some vertically challenged or elderly can''t stand but to here some fans on here & at matches the only people who should be there are males between the age of 15 to 40...oh and for god sake don''t wear yellow & green

I think you will find that choirs stand to sing as it allows the diaphram to move properly allowing singers to sing louder.

Tilly just had a private message from one of the inner circle telling me to back off. Who do you guys think you are? Are you guys styling yourselves on the Mason family or something?

Give us a clue who the members of the inner circle are BW, I don''t really know who the members of this supposed group are and if you are that bothered by this PM why don''t you post it up for all to see outing the recipient for all to see?