Sign in to follow this  
Andy Smith

Ian Crook - The Greatest Player Ever

I think Ian Crook is Norwich''s best player of all time - he could put a ball on a sixpence from 100 yards - genius.

Who''s your favourite ex Norwich Player.

Ian Crook - Better than Mick Mills - EASY

Difficult to pick one out as I have several.

David Phillips

Chris Sutton

Ian Crook

Bryan Gunn

Darren Huckerby

...to name a few of my favs.

Kevin Reeves was a great talent until injury plagued him, but city have had a bundle of talent over the years very hard to pick just one i guess.

Martin Peters could do everything Crook could and then some more. Andy Townesend was pretty good as well.

Keelan, Woods, Dave Watson, Bruce, Peters, Bowen, Reeves, Crook, Fox, Townsend, Drinkell, Huckerby, Bellamy and Eadie are all true greats blessed with exceptional but they are fall behind the hugely under-rated Chris Sutton in my eyes

OTBC

I''m delving into the future here, but providing that we keep hold of him, i reckon that Super Dean Ashton WILL become our all-time top goalscorer.

[quote]I think Ian Crook is Norwich''s best player of all time - he could put a ball on a sixpence from 100 yards - genius. Who''s your favourite ex Norwich Player. Ian Crook - Better than Mick Mills - EASY[/quote]

Andy. Looking at your previous messages on this Forum, you say you were once an Ipswich fan, and you still have a soft spot for them.....don''t you feel slightly embarrassed when admitting this fact?

As for Norwichs greatest player of all time - it has to be Jan Molby - 5 games of pure magic. Better than Crook anyday.

[quote]Andy. Looking at your previous messages on this Forum, you say you were once an Ipswich fan, and you still have a soft spot for them.....don''t you feel slightly embarrassed when admitting this fact? ...[/quote]

Yes Rusty, it''s true, i was once a blue, i loved Eric Yates and Paul Mariner, but now i''m as passionate a Norwich boy as you''ll find.

I have to agree with you as regards to Jan Molby - all the most talented footballers have got a bit of weight round the middle!!

How can anyone support one team and then drop them for another? Although a good swap from the binners to City i find it rather strange. Almost a bit like glory hunting i supose,with the kids of today Man Utd strips being left in the wardrobe & swapped for the Chelski strips!

[quote]How can anyone support one team and then drop them for another? Although a good swap from the binners to City i find it rather strange. Almost a bit like glory hunting i supose,with the kids of today ...[/quote]

I agree Twosheds - that Smith boy can''t be a true Yella fella like us - He probably enjoys prawn sandwiches at half time as well.

Once a blue, always a blue.

Canary Boy - Dave Phillips as the greatest player ever!! Good to see your sense of humour is in working order in these trying times.

For me, Dale Gordon and Ruel Fox were simply awesome, although I also thought Mike Phelan was brilliant in that team. (Guess when I was going week in / week out!)

As for this year - I think the anti-Worthy and the board brigade need to have a glass of wake the hell up. What would you rather they did? Yes, they were planning to go down, as they have a long term plan. There''s no secret we''re copying Charlton''s model and they yo-yoed for a few years before finding stability. They never broke the bank in gambling on staying up. You HAVE to be realistic.

Palace this year - Andy Johnson''s 1 man team, but they''re going down as well. Southampton are too strong and good on ''lurchy'' Crouch for playing so well.

WBA - They''re also going down. Do you want to copy them? Horsfield and Campbell up front and Robson as manager. No thanks.

As for us, I think we''re down too but I''m optimistic that next year will be successful. Deano, Leon and Hucks up front with Shackell looking good at the back, cash in the bank from Greeno and Francis and no massive debts. Worthy has worked wonders and deserves every credit.

Come on boys and girls - we''re a great club with a great manager. Just be realistic.

Have to say my favourites were the old wingers - Disco Dale, Ruel Fox, Louie Donawa (spelling? ). What about Duncan Forbes, Chris Woods, Robert Rosario, Justin Fashanu - all cult hero''s.

Ian Crook - a poor mans Glenn Hoddle.

[quote]Have to say my favourites were the old wingers - Disco Dale, Ruel Fox, Louie Donawa (spelling? ). What about Duncan Forbes, Chris Woods, Robert Rosario, Justin Fashanu - all cult hero''s. Ian Crook -...[/quote]

Not sure Robert Rosario that was a cult hero for his scoring prowess... Goal of the Season winner aside, he was hardly prolific. A player we''ll never forget, but hardly City''s greatest player. And whats with the none mention of Victor Segura? [tongue planted firmly in cheek] Whatever is the world coming to...?! *tut, tut*

In years to come I''ll probably say Darren Huckerby because I don''t think I''ve ever seen one player make such a big difference to a team before

[quote]In years to come I''ll probably say Darren Huckerby because I don''t think I''ve ever seen one player make such a big difference to a team before[/quote]

Sorry...have to stop you there BedsCanary. Huckerby was a good championship player..nothing more/ nothing less. He''s not good enough for the premiership - with the exception of maybe 3 or 4 teams. All blind alleys and wayward shots. He''s tried before at this less level with bigger teams and failed. Admittedly he gets an A for effort this season - but he knows this is his last chance to prove himself. Nice haircut though.

Kevin Keelan.

Just sorry that all you youngsters were not around to experience the joy of seeing the King of Carrow Road in all his majesty - year after year after year after year! And with what theatre, and with what style, and with what success Kevin entertained us............ oh yes - no argument.

OTBC.

i really couldnt really split culverhouse and crook . both were fantastic players in a very good period for the club , and to find two better city players would be difficult . btw louie donowa ? now that was funny !!

A very good player, no doubt about it BUT for me it would be Ron Davies, for a time thought of as the best centre-forward (yes, it was that long ago) in the four home countries. Signed by Ron Ashman from Luton Town and a quite superb performer, particularly in the air.

O.K. it was a long time ago.

We have been well entertained well over the years, certainly during my time there have been many very good players and several comedians*

(70s) Foggo, Forbes, Keelan*, Boyer, Peters, MacDougall, Reeves, Cross, Paddon, Bone*

(80s) Woods, Watson, Bruce, Fleck, Channon*

(90s) UEFA team need I say more, Bellamy

Plus Steen Nedagard, Jury still out on current squad

Robert Rosario,Victor Segura,Marc Libbra,Roger Handsbury,Ross Jack,Kevin Bond......Oh sorry it was best ever player        Well know one has really given him a mention probably because he has either been forgot about or because he wasnt with us very long..............so im gonna give a big round of applause to Mick Channon because he deserves it. I seem to remember he had the same kind of effect on the City team of that time just like Hucks did last season.

My list in no particular order - Fox, Crook, Culverhouse, Sutton, Gunn, Roberts (probably fave)

Also agree that Deano will get added to a lot of these lists in a few years - if we can keep hold of him

Hux - probably needs to be added to a different list - greatest impact in a season

Been a season ticket holder at Carrow Road now for near on 40 years. Seen some great and not so great Norwich players come and go. Unfortunately not too many great. Especially in recent years. The best player i''ve seen in my time has to be Ian Crook. Not quite good enough for England or a top team - but a great player for Norwich nevertheless.

[quote]Been a season ticket holder at Carrow Road now for near on 40 years. Seen some great and not so great Norwich players come and go. Unfortunately not too many great. Especially in recent years. The bes...[/quote]

Good choice Jimmy. But Crook should of played for England. If he''d played for a big team like Liverpool, he would of got 100 caps. It''s all corrupt and all about the big teams and their money. If i played for Man United i''d get a game for England. It''s just a shame i''m rubbish at football. My brother Darren got all the talent.

[quote]Good choice Jimmy. But Crook should of played for England. If he''d played for a big team like Liverpool, he would of got 100 caps. It''s all corrupt and all about the big teams and their money. If i pl...[/quote]

Sorry Andy. You are obviously blinded by your passion for Norwich, because you''re talking absolute pony. Crook was a very good player not a great player, and as for you getting a game for England, you''re a man who lives in a dreamworld.

Looks like Ashton could be an all time Norwich great. Up there with the likes of Crook, after his performance on Saturday. Hopefully he''ll keep us in the League we belong! It was like watching Marco Van Basten.