Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

How is John Ruddy not in the England squad?

He''s got to be better than Scott "dodgey" Carson who plays for Bursapor in Turkey and Greeno who plays in the league below. Has Pearce spent to long with Capello? Ruddy has to be 2nd choice behind Joe Hart.

[quote user="Alan BowCLUCK"]Errr.... how about he''s not good enough?
[/quote]

I think thats a bit harsh considering who''s in front of him.  Hart is clearly no 1, but Green, Carson, Robinson as a number 2 I''m not totally convinced.  I think he needs to be given a chance as all the others have. Maybe if he played for a more fancied club he would be.

Ray Clemence and Trevor Brooking were at Carrow Rd last Saturday presumably to have a look at Ruddy. Ruddy must be thanking his lucky stars that the manager preferred Jed Steer on the day.With the rest of the team around him having a ''mare he wouldn''t have done his prospects any good whatsoever......

[quote user="Ncfc123"]He''s got to be better than Scott "dodgey" Carson who plays for Bursapor in Turkey and Greeno who plays in the league below. Has Pearce spent to long with Capello? Ruddy has to be 2nd choice behind Joe Hart.[/quote]As I said on another thread, what on earth does the league they play in have to do with it? When Greeno was with us in the Championship we continually lamented the fact he was not in the squad and said it was due to him not being in the premiership. Now its the other way round and we quickly change our tune.That said, Ruddy should be in the squad in my book. Although I have not watched Carson or Green play this season.

[quote user="Alan BowCLUCK"]Errr.... how about he''s not good enough?[/quote]He''s plenty good enough but he plays for the wrong team. He certainly looks a lot better this season than that cyclist who plays in goal for arsenal who people like to use to benchmark if a ''keeper is any good.Sadly Nu England seems to be the same as old England ie a ''keeper is measured primarily on clean sheets, not convinced Clemence is up to it as imo he destroyed Greeno at the World cup with this nonsense positioning mantra which caused him to think too much leading to THAT goal. Never once saw RG collect a ball in that textbook/training ground fashion playing for us, too much pressure on the backup goalies one chance, muffed it job,James, Robinson, even Seaman eventually went the same way, watch Hart wilt, then there''s the injuries, keepers seem to get injured in England training sessions  or friendlies..............Actually; come to think of it on a personal level I''m very pleased Ruddy hasn''t been called up for a meaningless friendly with all the risk and none of the gain that means he''ll not get injured, not get blamed, not get booed playing the Dutch but he''ll probably play a blinder for us against the Mancs instead and be that much harder to pass over for the Euros by the end of the Prem season anyway.

It shows pretty stupid thinking by the England hierarchy if they were expecting to see Ruddy play in the Cup game - it was hardly a surprise to see Jed in goal. They have had plenty of chances to see him and clearly think Carson and Green are better options, which imo is slightly odd.

Isn''t this just another crazy example of Norwich City supporters getting carried away?A few games in the Premier League... some of which have been decidedly dodgy and he''s good enough for England? As good as Robert Green was in comparison.... he''s little better than ordinary.

Sooooooo.... the ''I''ve been to every game'' snobbery appears yet again.... and you were doing so well.This is the Premier League Harry with endless televised games and plenty of replayed action.... not something possible at a live game. I suspect you just as I did at CR often don''t know who scored the goals at Carrow Road until the tannoy tells you... let alone spotting goalkeeping errors.I''m happy parked in front of the box for now with a pint in my hand.... and will see just as much as you would sitting/standing out in the cold.I think also that might go for the vast majority of contributors on here who have another life. A big screen tv gives a much more comprehensive view of a game than watching live.... and it''s free.

It''s about time you stopped playing the victim Cluck I simply asked you a question, I didn''t criticise so where have you got the "I''ve been to every game snobbery" that you say I have from, I haven''t been to every game, I have the home games but only a few away games due to financial restraints, that doesn''t make fans who go to every game home and away better than me just like me having a season ticket doesn''t make me better than a casual fan who gets to the odd game or the fans who don''t get to games for whatever reason, we are all Norwich fans in our own way.

I''m sure that if he continues his good work he will get picked. But it is his first season in the premier league and he hasn''t had a carreer in goal for any other club at any other level yet. I think most of the England set-up will see this as a handicap . I''m just glad he''s doing well for us and he''ll get his chance if he keeps performing like that for City! That''s the most important thing, isn''t it?

I can see no reason why they wouldn''t pick him if they felt he was good enough.

So, it''s purely down to the opinion of skilled scouts who don''t rate him in the top 3 English keepers, or there''s a certain style they''re looking for.

I''ve not seen Carson or Green this season in any capacity to make a comment, although obviously know Hart is a quality keeper and would get in to most top teams as first choice.

As good as Ruddy has been for us, we''ve conceded more goals than anyone around us, i think it''s only the bottom 4 that have conceded less and obviously only the one clean sheet.

While that is not a direct reflection on him, i imagine that it''s something the England staff take on board.

Personally, i would have him above Green and Carson. But like i say, i''ve not the experience/know how to pick for england. :)

[quote user="Harry"]It''s about time you stopped playing the victim Cluck I simply asked you a question, I didn''t criticise so where have you got the "I''ve been to every game snobbery" that you say I have from, I haven''t been to every game, I have the home games but only a few away games due to financial restraints, that doesn''t make fans who go to every game home and away better than me just like me having a season ticket doesn''t make me better than a casual fan who gets to the odd game or the fans who don''t get to games for whatever reason, we are all Norwich fans in our own way.[/quote]Victim Harry? You asked the question "how would I know via the radio"......The point is simple. Someone watching the game live on television will infact have a better view of events than someone in the ground.Saying it is ''better'' to see a game live is absolutely right.... but it doesn''t mean someone watching at home can''t have an opinion based on what they see. It may lack the atmosphere (although a pub full of supporters is a great laugh) and the television viewer might miss movement off the ball, but it every other aspect watching a match on the tv is a comprehensive way to assess a player''s performance.... and replays mean that what may have happened in a crowded goalmouth or in a micro moment elsewhere is spotted and analysed within seconds.It''s chalk and cheese.  Both have their own merits and trying to belittle the opinion of someone who ''wasn''t there'' is pure snobbery.

I think Ruddy is fast proving himself to be one the best keepers in England.  Every week he proves what he is capable of, and every week we see how he reacts under pressure something that we rarely get to see with Joe Hart.  I personally think he deserves a shout and should have at least a squad place.

On another point I am really pleased that Rob Green has another chance.  I think the way he was treated at the world cup was disgraceful, I also believe that the ay he was treated affected every member of the squad.  From that point onwards we played with fear and nervousness.  He deserves his second shot.

Cluck how would I know you watch it on TV in the pub, I can''t ever remember you mentioning it on here?

You still haven''t answered where you got "I''ve been to every game snobbery" from my post.

[quote user="Harry"]Cluck how would I know you watch it on TV in the pub, I can''t ever remember you mentioning it on here? You still haven''t answered where you got "I''ve been to every game snobbery" from my post.[/quote]

I can remember posts about having a "bank of season tickets" and "throwing them in" whilst encouraging others to do the same in protest against "Smith". Is that any help[:^)]

Although i think he should be in squad, i cant help but feel the proximity of the tournament is probably an issue, he''s never had a cap for England, isnt used to the set up and for a goal keeper he probably needs 3 or 4 games to get over those ''I''m playing for England, and if i muck up it''s a goal'' nerves. There just isnt the games to give him the matches i think england keepers need before going into a major tournament even as third choice.

[quote]watching a match on the tv is a comprehensive way to assess a player''s performance[/quote]

So how come the England scouts go to the actual game instead of to the pub with you?

Looks like those idiots have missed a trick. How silly must they feel now.............

[quote user="Paint Me Yellow"]

[quote]watching a match on the tv is a comprehensive way to assess a player''s performance[/quote]

So how come the England scouts go to the actual game instead of to the pub with you?

Looks like those idiots have missed a trick. How silly must they feel now.............

[/quote]Eh?I think you''ll find most managers and scouts watch hours of video footage before ever going to watch a player live... or indeed watching a forthcoming opponent to check out tactics etc.... That''s how it''s done these days.

So many perfectly decent goalkeepers have had their reputations destroyed playing for England. Looking for a common denominator, Ray Clemence seems to have been around most of them despite various changes of Manager. Makes me wonder whether the ex-Spurs goalie is a negative influence? If it''s time for a change, perhaps get Chris Woods to do the job?

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]So many perfectly decent goalkeepers have had their reputations destroyed playing for England. Looking for a common denominator, Ray Clemence seems to have been around most of them despite various changes of Manager. Makes me wonder whether the ex-Spurs goalie is a negative influence? If it''s time for a change, perhaps get Chris Woods to do the job?[/quote]I''ve long thought that too..... [Y]Time for a clear out of the jaded backroom staff and let''s start afresh.

[quote user="Alan BowCLUCK"][quote user="Harry"]It''s about time you stopped playing the victim Cluck I simply asked you a question, I didn''t criticise so where have you got the "I''ve been to every game snobbery" that you say I have from, I haven''t been to every game, I have the home games but only a few away games due to financial restraints, that doesn''t make fans who go to every game home and away better than me just like me having a season ticket doesn''t make me better than a casual fan who gets to the odd game or the fans who don''t get to games for whatever reason, we are all Norwich fans in our own way.[/quote]Victim Harry? You asked the question "how would I know via the radio"......The point is simple. Someone watching the game live on television will infact have a better view of events than someone in the ground.Saying it is ''better'' to see a game live is absolutely right.... but it doesn''t mean someone watching at home can''t have an opinion based on what they see. It may lack the atmosphere (although a pub full of supporters is a great laugh) and the television viewer might miss movement off the ball, but it every other aspect watching a match on the tv is a comprehensive way to assess a player''s performance.... and replays mean that what may have happened in a crowded goalmouth or in a micro moment elsewhere is spotted and analysed within seconds.It''s chalk and cheese.  Both have their own merits and trying to belittle the opinion of someone who ''wasn''t there'' is pure snobbery.[/quote]Excellent post, not that it fits in with many peoples ideals on here [Y]