Sign in to follow this  
Ernie

Norwich a team full of internationals

At present we already have Morrison, Crofts and Martin playing for their countries with players like Ruddy, Pilkington possibly Surman having the potential to step up. Hoolahan should have more caps and with young guns Rudd, Steer and Bennet its looks like Norwich could have the most international players playing for us than ever before in our history.  Good times.

[quote user="Ernie"]At present we already have Morrison, Crofts and Martin playing for their countries with players like Ruddy, Pilkington possibly Surman having the potential to step up. Hoolahan should have more caps and with young guns Rudd, Steer and Bennet its looks like Norwich could have the most international players playing for us than ever before in our history.  Good times.[/quote]

Years ago, when I was a youngster, I hasten to add, I felt so proud when a certain Jim Bone was selected for Scotland.

If he was not our firs evert international, then somebody please put me right.

Nowadays, with all sorts of pidley didley countries involved and with the lax regulations regarding eligibility (which were exploited to perfection by Jackie Charlton and then finely honed by the French International slectors)  and with so many worthless friendlies and even many near- worthless qualifying games, I fail to feel the same sort of esteem. Many international games are a nuisance nowadyas and often lead to an empty Winter''s Saturday. The opposing argument being that friendlies are necessary to perfect the tournament team ... but it never seems to work out like that.

Neither am I bothered about Hooly missing out on a friendly international for Ireland although I feel for the player. At least he won''t risk tiredness or even injury.

Additionally, I hope we can avoid signing players eligible for the African Nations Cup. Too disruptive. Do the clubs keep paying these players when they miss such a large chunk of the season?

Maybe some will think that I am being a little selfish here, but players are paid a fortune by their clubs nowadays and to lose them with injuries not picked up in the cause or due to other commitments doesn''t make total sense. There has to be a balance I suppose.

Holt for England.  

[quote user="Ernie"]At present we already have Morrison, Crofts and Martin playing for their countries with players like Ruddy, Pilkington possibly Surman having the potential to step up. Hoolahan should have more caps and with young guns Rudd, Steer and Bennet its looks like Norwich could have the most international players playing for us than ever before in our history.  Good times.[/quote]That''s stretching it a bit, isn''t it?  A couple of welshmen - I could play for Wales - an honourary Scotsman, a one footed Irishman who''s been consistently overlooked by Trappatoni, and then some "possible" ones for the future including Ruddy, Rudd and Steer who all play in the same position...I''m all for the glass half full approach to life, but this is something else.

Dean Ashton is a prime example of how being picked can work out, a real shame as he''d still be in his prime right now and England would be far better for it.

I am with many others who is club ahead of country every time, but that''s not to say I don''t support, watch and want England to win.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Ernie"]At present we already have Morrison, Crofts and Martin playing for their countries with players like Ruddy, Pilkington possibly Surman having the potential to step up. Hoolahan should have more caps and with young guns Rudd, Steer and Bennet its looks like Norwich could have the most international players playing for us than ever before in our history.  Good times.[/quote]

That''s stretching it a bit, isn''t it?  A couple of welshmen - I could play for Wales - an honourary Scotsman, a one footed Irishman who''s been consistently overlooked by Trappatoni, and then some "possible" ones for the future including Ruddy, Rudd and Steer who all play in the same position...

I''m all for the glass half full approach to life, but this is something else.

[/quote]

Yeah I know, still what the hell.  Holt for England, now that would be something to get excited about!

Actually the best player I''ve ever seen play for Norwich who didnt ever get a call up was of course the Cat, Keelan, man he was goooood.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Ernie"]At present we already have Morrison, Crofts and Martin playing for their countries with players like Ruddy, Pilkington possibly Surman having the potential to step up. Hoolahan should have more caps and with young guns Rudd, Steer and Bennet its looks like Norwich could have the most international players playing for us than ever before in our history.  Good times.[/quote]

That''s stretching it a bit, isn''t it?  A couple of welshmen - I could play for Wales - an honourary Scotsman, a one footed Irishman who''s been consistently overlooked by Trappatoni, and then some "possible" ones for the future including Ruddy, Rudd and Steer who all play in the same position...

I''m all for the glass half full approach to life, but this is something else.

[/quote]

Yeah but did you notice I didnt throw Johnson or Whitbread into the mix!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

I think we actually may have had more internationals in our squad the last time we were in the Premiership??

Green,Ward,Gallacher,Helveg,Doherty,Francis,Holt,Safri,Johnson,Mulryne,McVeigh.....have I missed anyone?

[/quote]

Did Ward, Doherty, Francis and Holt ever get called up?  If so I must be having a senior moment!

[quote user="Shyster"]BroadstairsR ~ [quote]Years ago, when I was a youngster[/quote]

You have a terrific memory.
[/quote]

Yep, must have it was 1972 and I was in my teens fighting hormonal changes and the divided loyalties of worshipping the opposite sex or NCFC. The latter won as they got promoted that year.

I know what I''d choose nowadays. Sorry Grant.

But good point OP.

Shows Lambert is really developing these what most would have described as average Championship/League One players a couple of years back, into potential internationals.