Sign in to follow this  
Bryangunnshairline

is football better now or was it back in the 90s, 80s or 70s........

Goalkeepers have improved considerably however players not so much. Back in my day you had to have two feet to consider yourself a footballer.

[quote user="BW"]Goalkeepers have improved considerably [/quote] Goal keeping seems more centred on "shot stopping" today, I was watching a few youtube clips of 80''s matches just a couple of weeks back and what I noticed was that goalkeepers then rarely if ever punched the ball and only seemed to turn the ball out if they couldn''t quite reach. catching the ball in a diving save is a sight that has disappeared from the modern game, someone somewhere decided it''s better to play the %ages and tip it round for a corner. Chris Woods was an excellent "saver" as was Keelan, most of our more recent ''keepers play(ed) the modern way so I actually find it difficult to compare the eras on goalkeeping.RIP[img]http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/63431/63431,1155920898,1/stock-photo-soccer-football-goalie-making-diving-save-1703799.jpg[/img]

[quote user="BW"]Goalkeepers have improved considerably however players not so much. Back in my day you had to have two feet to consider yourself a footballer.[/quote]

Was going to make a joke about one footed players, then found this picture -  

kind of  puts things in perspective.........................

[quote user="lake district canary"]

[quote user="BW"]Goalkeepers have improved considerably however players not so much. Back in my day you had to have two feet to consider yourself a footballer.[/quote]

Was going to make a joke about one footed players, then found this picture -  

kind of  puts things in perspective.........................

[/quote]There does seem to be a surplus of left sided players.....Odd that.