Sign in to follow this  
Bryangunnshairline

is football better now or was it back in the 90s, 80s or 70s........

Ok a lot has been posted recently about the devaluation of the fa cup, what clubs priorities are , league finish positions , money , money, money ect but is football better now or back in the 90s , 80s, 70s ? I''m only 30 yrs old so started watching city under mike walker. Things were magic back then , a bit like now but back then it felt like we were on a level playing field. The sky money was just coming in but was no where near as much as now. We sold our best player Chris sutton for a massive 5 million. Carlos tevez picks that up in a few months without playing these days. I have always felt the premier is our rightful place because that''s where I first remember us. We as a club have gone full circle but imo its not as good now. Back then the fa cup was a massive thing and EVERYONE wanted to be a part of it. now even Norwich put out weaker teams and really don''t care how we do. Were the 70s, 80s not as good because of racism , hooliganisam and disasters like the bradford fire and hillsborough or were they great days or did u enjoy a good old ruck!? Now the average working man is having to pay far more at a game than ever. I''m a regular at carrow rd but as its a seven hour trip I''m finding it harder and harder to get excited. It''s just not as exciting now and until fifa and or uefa or even the fa bring something in that involves fair play on the money side of things and all clubs wage cap and only spend what they have in the bank I really don''t think my interest will increase. The collapse of Wimbledon and possible teams like darlington , pompey and even rangers are what''s wrong with football I think. The suits in charge are only interested in lining their own pockets a bit like the world is now and its very sad. Carrow rd currently sells out but a 35000 seater stadium is on its way and that worries me. It''s all about compete with others financially. so are we in a better place? or was the early 90s,80s or 70s or even before that time a much better experience as a football fan?????????????

in my opinion ,not just football but just about any sport you care to mention was in its heyday in the 80''s.....many of sports all time greastest icons hail from this decade.........I may too be slightly biased as this was the time in which i grew up and started watching football, but from Botham,Viv Richards,Mansell and Prost,Steve Davis, Eric Bristow, Ovett and Coe, Carl Lewis, Mike Tyson through to the football icons of Dalglish,Rush,Souness of the Liverpool teams, the Southall,Ratcliffe,Sharp and Reid of the Everton side, Kevin Keegan,Bryan Robson,Charlie Nicholas,Glenn Hoddle....every team had a star that is still talked about today.....and my own personal favourites from the time that I pretended to be in the playground....John Deehan & Kevin Drinkell !!!........and on the rather moot subject of the FA Cup......again the 80''s was a classic decade for cup final in which it contained arguably the best final of all time in 1987 in Spurs v Coventry.....its says something of this era that I could name every scoreline and scorers from all of the cup finals of the 80''s but would struggle to do the same with the 90''s and 00''s ?!?

It''s an entirely different game now.... and I''m so glad I enjoyed those many years before Sky came along and ruined it.Carrow Road may have been creaky and ugly years ago... but all the noise that came out of it came from the vocal chords of the supporters inside instead of a tacky pre-meditated sound system.... plus the players on the pitch knew they were playing for the City of Norwich.... not some corporate business existing out of self interest.So yes.... it was much better in the 70s and 80s.

You''re right about one thing BGHL,  money has become the most important thing in most walks of life, usually to the detriment of the ordinary person.   Football is no exception and I think the football experience is different to how it used to be.    When I was in my teens I absolutely loved going to Carrow Rd and the feeling stays with you, even as you get older.   However, as a supermember, only getting to certain games from a long distance, I do find where I sit has a big effect on the experience.     When you had standing terraces, you could get there early and get the best position to watch the match with people you wanted to be with.   So the experience has changed - in fact it changes with every match.   But the thing that changes the experience more than anything is the fans turning up 5 minutes before the kick off, just in time for one chorus of OTBC.  No creating a noise, atomosphere etc, no build up to the match.   Seats are partly responsible for this. Everyone knows exactly where they are sitting.  When you stood, you had to get there early to get a good position.   Then you could choose who you stood near. Now if you are unfortunate to sit near a serial moaner every week - that is going to diminish your enjoyment.  

In short, the hurdles to pure enjoyment are increasing - expensive tickets, choreographed support (goal music etc), seats, fixation with alcohol (drinking x pints before the match)  greed,  not being able to relate to players (thank goodness for Grant Holt), too much football on tv.    I''m not complaing though, I still get great enjoyment from going to the live football, the characters are still there, we still have a great club and I can''t think of a better club/fans anywhere in the country.  And it''s a great time to be a fan, especially if you''re in your teens and can''t remember the 90''s.   My first match was the 6-0 demolition of Birmingham, (I think in the late 60''s?) but I used to watch them every week on Match of the Week with Gerry Harrison  before that.     It''s always a great time to be a fan of Norwich - and when you support a club, you have to take the rough with the smooth - I just think its a different experience to each generation.    Memories, or the present?   You can never forget when you first start supporting your club, but when you follow the development of your club over many years, it is now that is most important and it is now that things are happening. Enjoy.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Mansell [/quote]I think anyone curious about sport from the 1980''s era would do well to watch this short clip from about 3mins onwards.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTqI2Ox3_38&feature=relatedThat wasn''t for first place or even 2nd it was for fifth, that''s what sport was like before money took control.

The Premiership was created to make the big clubs bigger and it worked better than any of them could have imagined !

It was before my time but this period must have been unbelievable, who could guess the next League Champion ?

Season First Division Champions

1958–59 Wolverhampton Wanderers

1959–60 Burnley

1960–61 Tottenham Hotspur

1961–62 Ipswich Town

1962–63 Everton

1963–64 Liverpool

1964–65 Manchester United

1965–66 Liverpool

1966–67 Manchester United

1967–68 Manchester City

1968–69 Leeds United

1969–70 Everton

1970–71 Arsenal

1971–72 Derby County

1972–73 Liverpool

1973–74 Leeds United

1974–75 Derby County

After this period it was taken over by Liverpool followed by Man. Utd. making them bigger & bigger

[quote user="swindoncanary"]The Premiership was created to make the big clubs bigger and it worked better than any of them could have imagined !

It was before my time but this period must have been unbelievable, who could guess the next League Champion ?

Season First Division Champions

1958–59 Wolverhampton Wanderers

1959–60 Burnley

1960–61 Tottenham Hotspur

1961–62 Ipswich Town

1962–63 Everton

1963–64 Liverpool

1964–65 Manchester United

1965–66 Liverpool

1966–67 Manchester United

1967–68 Manchester City

1968–69 Leeds United

1969–70 Everton

1970–71 Arsenal

1971–72 Derby County

1972–73 Liverpool

1973–74 Leeds United

1974–75 Derby County

After this period it was taken over by Liverpool followed by Man. Utd. making them bigger & bigger[/quote]Exactly.....Modern day predictability makes for a very dull game.

Like others I am probably biased due to my age (mid thirties) but football was so much more enjoyable in the ''80s/''90s. Basically pre-Premier League and Champions League. There were still big teams who dominated (my dislike of Liverpool is a direct consequence of growing up in the ''80s) but the rest felt like they had a chance of achieving something. There was an air of unpredictability back then and it was not uncommon for a team to move through the divisions and make a real impression in the top flight (I can remember Watford doing it under Graham Taylor, Wimbledon and I think Swansea might have done similar under Toshack) and you could watch a team grow over the years. Now any half decent young player gets snapped up by the big boys at a ridiculously young age at placed in their reserves or out on loan for years. Looking at Napoli the other night who are probably one of the most entertaining teams in Europe I couldn''t help but think this is the last season we will see their team together. It would be great to see them add to their squad and challenge the really big teams but sadly the likes of Cavani and Lavezzi will sold and they''ll have to start from scratch again.

I don''t think there is much doubt that the overall standard of football has been improved. In the ''90s Eric Cantona made a huge impact in the Premier League despit being relatively modestly talented compared to the foreign starts that followed him. But something has been lost. Maybe there is just too much football available and that devalues the whole experience? You can watch a game of football somewhere in the world at pretty much any time of day. I''m not suggesting that it was better when there was hardly any live football but it did make the experience of going to a game that much more special. We didn''t have a season ticket when I started going as a kid (we went when we could afford a ticket or didn''t have other plans as a family) so there might be three or four weeks, sometimes more,  between visits to Carrow Road. With less televised football players and teams would emerge seemingly from nowhere to surprise you. Nowadays everybody has seen every goal the latest Brazillian starlet has scored on You Tube so there are no surprises when he pitches up at the World Cup.

I could go on for days about this but basically modern football is sh*t. I still watch it though.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Like others I am probably biased due to my age (mid thirties) but football was so much more enjoyable in the ''80s/''90s. Basically pre-Premier League and Champions League. There were still big teams who dominated (my dislike of Liverpool is a direct consequence of growing up in the ''80s) but the rest felt like they had a chance of achieving something. There was an air of unpredictability back then and it was not uncommon for a team to move through the divisions and make a real impression in the top flight (I can remember Watford doing it under Graham Taylor, Wimbledon and I think Swansea might have done similar under Toshack) and you could watch a team grow over the years. Now any half decent young player gets snapped up by the big boys at a ridiculously young age at placed in their reserves or out on loan for years. Looking at Napoli the other night who are probably one of the most entertaining teams in Europe I couldn''t help but think this is the last season we will see their team together. It would be great to see them add to their squad and challenge the really big teams but sadly the likes of Cavani and Lavezzi will sold and they''ll have to start from scratch again.

I don''t think there is much doubt that the overall standard of football has been improved. In the ''90s Eric Cantona made a huge impact in the Premier League despit being relatively modestly talented compared to the foreign starts that followed him. But something has been lost. Maybe there is just too much football available and that devalues the whole experience? You can watch a game of football somewhere in the world at pretty much any time of day. I''m not suggesting that it was better when there was hardly any live football but it did make the experience of going to a game that much more special. We didn''t have a season ticket when I started going as a kid (we went when we could afford a ticket or didn''t have other plans as a family) so there might be three or four weeks, sometimes more,  between visits to Carrow Road. With less televised football players and teams would emerge seemingly from nowhere to surprise you. Nowadays everybody has seen every goal the latest Brazillian starlet has scored on You Tube so there are no surprises when he pitches up at the World Cup.

I could go on for days about this but basically modern football is sh*t. I still watch it though.

[/quote]

I think I can safely say that I enjoyed football more in the 60''s, and wonder how the players of today would get on with  the lace up ball, when they were soaking wet, no multi ball in those days, and being a goal keeper I can tell you they got very heavy as the match wore on, didn''t wear gloves then either. but I also remember full houses everywhere, and hanging around at the Newsagents after the match  waiting for the evening news to come out, But being honest TV has killed the  football I remember     

The late fifties, early sixties, you had proper footy, every tackle wasn''t a booking, diving was restricted to the swimming pool, crowds were huge and refs were honest, 2/6d would be your total outlay for the day, including train fare and your packet of rolo''s.

In fact............bliss.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]in my opinion ,not just football but just about any sport you care to mention was in its heyday in the 80''s.....many of sports all time greastest icons hail from this decade.........I may too be slightly biased as this was the time in which i grew up and started watching football, but from Botham,Viv Richards,Mansell and Prost,Steve Davis, Eric Bristow, Ovett and Coe, Carl Lewis, Mike Tyson through to the football icons of Dalglish,Rush,Souness of the Liverpool teams, the Southall,Ratcliffe,Sharp and Reid of the Everton side, Kevin Keegan,Bryan Robson,Charlie Nicholas,Glenn Hoddle....every team had a star that is still talked about today.....and my own personal favourites from the time that I pretended to be in the playground....John Deehan & Kevin Drinkell !!!........and on the rather moot subject of the FA Cup......again the 80''s was a classic decade for cup final in which it contained arguably the best final of all time in 1987 in Spurs v Coventry.....its says something of this era that I could name every scoreline and scorers from all of the cup finals of the 80''s but would struggle to do the same with the 90''s and 00''s ?!?[/quote]

It''s an age thing. We all look back to our formative years with rose tinted specs.

How about the 60''s? England won the World Cup.

http://blog.sport.co.uk/Football/219/Top_Ten_Reasons_why_football_was_better_in_the_1960s.aspx

The thing about the 60''s was that we had all that but were still relatively safe. The 70''s and 80''s we remember the good bits but block out the awful parts. Heysell, Hillsborough, Bradford fire. Our clubs banned from Europe. How many would have taken young children or grandchildren to away games wearing colours? Some times it weas even dodgy at home games. I took a young Duncan in the 80''s but that was the exception rather than the rule.

I think each decade has it''s merits. I started attending games in the 80s and I was spoiled really, we won the Milk Cup, relegation was quickly forgotten at my age by winning Division 2, then came World Cup 86, Maradona, Lineker the swansong of Zico, Platini, Laudrup and Elkjaer, Francescoli, Butragueno....I even ended up with a pet budgie called Diego..!! Remembering all of that is easy, but it is tempered with the sights at Heysel and the scenes at Hillsborough while I was at Villa Park. What I would say is that in the 1980s the best players in the league were the best British players around.

Once we hit the 90s, things started to change. Leeds won the last Division 1 and they were aided by the flamboyance and unpredictability of some bloke called Cantona and once the Premier League got in full swing there certainly was a more international flavour to proceedings. But...we did have the mighty Canaries playing European giants, World Cup 90, Euro 96, Gazza, Chase Out, the foreign invasion gave us the opportunity to watch players like Juninho, Ravanelli, Yeboah, Amokachi, De Waard, Zola, Vialli, Gullit. This though is the decade where the saturation of football began as we ever increasingly moved towards "Planet Sky" - the gap between the top clubs and the rest started to widen and clubs started to pay the price for gambling to try and keep up.

Since 2000, the football and players we watch has continued to change probably even more dramatically. The players that have played in our top flight are no longer just the best British players, no longer is there a smattering of foreign talent, it''s now full of elite players from every continent. Players like Cristiano Ronaldo, Fernando Torres (well...) have played in our top flight, indeed England internationals are regularly found plying their trade in the championship.

Sky sell themselves and fill our heads with the self professed "Best league in the world", we are saturated with football from all divisions, european competitions, domestic cups, internationals all on our screens all the time. Is football better now? I''m not sure, it''s unlikely that a "Norwich" will break into the top 3 in the forseeable future, the plight of clubs throughout the pyramid is a huge concern too, we are in danger of losing sight of from where we came. The huge exposure that Premier League football brings certainly has it''s benefits, exiled fans can watch games and feel more in touch with those of us fortunate enough to attend. We do get to watch some of the top players in the world "live" rather than just on TV....however.....it comes at a price. The competitiveness of the 80s has gone, teams like Norwich, Southampton, QPR finishing in the top 5 or 6 is massively unlikely, the magic of the FA cup has disappeared, the prestige of winning that once coveted trophy somehow obscured by the financial windfall that is the Champions League.

When was football best? I honestly can''t decide, but in terms of being a Norwich fan, these last three years have been right up there.

[quote user="Hugh J Wurzell"]

Err, which England internationals "are found regularly plying their trade in the Championship"????

[/quote]

Err, Robert Green for one, Carlton Cole for another....

But thanks for your stunning input.

As someone who grew up watching football from around 93/94 time I have only ever known a select band of clubs winning the league and of having a chance of winning the league. Nowadays we really have a glass ceiling to how high we can go which didn''t seem to exist when you read about years gone by.

The players seem better athletically now and the grounds seem safer now which are good but a game with less money in it 30 or 40 years ago seemed to help make the results less predictable and give more teams a chance of winning.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

The late fifties, early sixties, you had proper footy, every tackle wasn''t a booking, diving was restricted to the swimming pool, crowds were huge and refs were honest, 2/6d would be your total outlay for the day, including train fare and your packet of rolo''s.

[/quote]

Nah! Proper football was when a hundred of us used to gather in a muddy street and kick an inflated pig''s bladder about for hours or until the first fatality. No need for namby-pamby referees in them days.

There''s often too much romanticism towards football outside of the modern era, and whilst the players at the time were great at the time, watch the football they played nowadays and tell me you genuinely think it''s better.Take for example the Hungary side of the early 50''s, masters of a 31 game unbeaten run until losing the Germany in the ''54 world cup, a side that demonlished an excellent England team 6-3, and were very much the 50''s version of what Spain are now, here''s the highlights from the game against England:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1HDNHXpzXUShocking defending throughout, no closing down with the Hungarian players left to their own devices most of the time, and at times it looked a bit shambolic.That''s the criticial response to the football played back then, in no way should that demean the quality of the players for their time, nor their acheivements and the way that they helped football develop, but the ''old'' game just can''t be compared to the modern game, just as the game in the 50''s can''t be compared to that of the 20''s and 30''s.There''s a lot of aspects I''m sure we''d all like to see back in the game, such as respect towards refs, tackles being allowed to be more than breathing near someone and players not being paid the GNP of Cuba every week in wages, but all this aside, the football on the pitch is arguably some of the best it''s ever been.That being said, the period towards the end of the 80''s and into the early 90''s saw some fantastic football, with the departure of the previous legends like Zico and Platini, ushering in the best of the new generation of Baggio, Van Basten, Maradona and Laudrup. It also saw our best overall period as a club in my mind, with the Milk Cup in 85, some great league finishes following this, and the 3rd place finish in the Prem in 92/93 where we really should have won the league.Ideally what I''d like is an amalgamation of the football ''experience'' throughout the decades, so that we maintain the quality of play on the pitch, but combine it with fairness and lack of corruption, sensible wages and a change that allows the average working man to watch their team again - be this terracing, price changes or something else.Take all the external crap away from modern football, and it''s hard to argue with the talents on display, but what makes it less attractive and therefore ''less'' than it used to be is the insidious external forces that have changed the face of football, which makes preferring things ''how they used to be'' seem a much more attractive and understandable stance by comparison...

[quote user="BroadstairsR"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

Nah! Proper football was when a hundred of us used to gather in a muddy street and kick an inflated pig''s bladder about for hours or until the first fatality. No need for namby-pamby referees in them days.

[/quote]

Pig''s bladder? Luxury! We had to make do with half a cauliflower. And the thing is, you tell kids today that and they don''t believe you...

Hmmm, have Robert Green or Carlton Cole played for England since West Ham''s relegation? You could stretch your point even further by referencing  Teddy Sheringham turning out for League One Colchester

[quote user="Hugh J Wurzell"]Hmmm, have Robert Green or Carlton Cole played for England since West Ham''s relegation? You could stretch your point even further by referencing  Teddy Sheringham turning out for League One Colchester[/quote]

Robert Green is in the current squad, is there a reason that you are clinging to this one particular point? Perhaps I could have worded it better, perhaps I could have added "plying their trade in the championship or not automatic first choices for their clubs"?

The pertinent point I was trying to make is that it would have been pretty much unthinkable for an England starter to not be first choice for his club back in the 80s, this isn''t the case now because of the influx of elite players from abroad.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="BroadstairsR"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Pig''s bladder? Luxury! We had to make do with half a cauliflower. And the thing is, you tell kids today that and they don''t believe you...

[/quote]

A more serious answer is that, for good and ill, sport reflects society, and society has changed a fair bit since the end of the second world war. So with football, and so also with cricket, which is vastly different from how it was a few decades ago.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]The Premiership was created to make the big clubs bigger and it worked better than any of them could have imagined ! It was before my time but this period must have been unbelievable, who could guess the next League Champion ? Season First Division Champions 1958–59 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1959–60 Burnley 1960–61 Tottenham Hotspur 1961–62 Ipswich Town 1962–63 Everton 1963–64 Liverpool 1964–65 Manchester United 1965–66 Liverpool 1966–67 Manchester United 1967–68 Manchester City 1968–69 Leeds United 1969–70 Everton 1970–71 Arsenal 1971–72 Derby County 1972–73 Liverpool 1973–74 Leeds United 1974–75 Derby County After this period it was taken over by Liverpool followed by Man. Utd. making them bigger & bigger[/quote]........i make that 11 different champions in 17 years which made for a very exciting competition to nearly all teams in the 1st division, as they may not be close to winning it this year, but next year it could be their title. the problen now is that so much money is leaving the game in agents fees and salaries that little is left to trickle down to the lower leagues. remember the days, long gone now, when all top teams did what city are currently doing and find their new stars in the lower leagues. where are the keegans and seamans of the future going to be able to progress when top teams are only interested in top foreigners. if the lower leagues fold then there will be no england team in the future as there will be nowhere for english players to progress and improve.

I am about to turn 30 and my first games that I can vaguely recall are under Stringers lead in 91-92, although I have been told I have been to other games. I must have as I remember how I felt the day I saw that Robert Fleck was on his way to Chelsea, I felt that was the end of the club as I was unaware of the transfer market as such. I do remember the terraces at Carrow Road, the old Barclay and the terraces in the River End. I remember my first away game and the huge Bramall Lane in the 91-92 season. I had never seen a stadium like it.

What an era I was fortunate to grow up in, well and to be honest if you watch the 1902-2002 dvd you see that our football club has had an amazing story. It certainly is right now. I think if you look at it in that way we have had an amazing time as a club, with many highs and many lows. Their are heroes along the way G. Whatling for one.

I look back at old videos from time to time, the style of football we played in the 70''s was exceptional and certainly we have always been known as a passing side and that time we were incredible. We have always brought through exciting youngsters in my time until about 10 years ago. But now we are beginning again. But I believe we have been known as a passing side much from our years in the 70''s and 80''s. I grew up with Disco Dale Gordon as my hero, I have seen great players put on the shirt and no doubt it is a pleasure being a fan of a club with a rich history and exciting players.

But the game, and that is the word, the game has changed dramatically. My father lived on Dereham Road by all the house owned by the club, he went to school with players sons and daughters. We all know former players who have had to find alternate careers, pub land lords, haridressers etc upto the 80''s when the £££ was nothing like it is now. The best book I read was by Gary Imlach who wrote about his dad playing in the first division, the rates of pay and the way of a plyer in the 70''s. It is right.

I do wish the game was more ferocious, flying tackles, strength being awarded. It has changed to the detriment of the game. Diving, rolling about and crowding a referee are things I cannot stand. As a supporter I grew up in the Family Stand of the South Stand and the rest of the ground was a rite de passage with very few prawn sandwich brigade. You can sit at the game and listen to someone on their phone, talking about anything else but the game etc. I am there for the game and probably why I prefer away games. The real fans, genuinely there for the game. I do go to different grounds around the country those under the blue sq. or whatever it is called and the atmosphere is brilliant. It is real football. Small pokey stadia, maybe with a handful of seats, local advertising but charm. I look and appreciate that is the ''real football'' that I know and care about and if that was taken away from me I would be very bitter about the great game.

Do I enjoy the modern game? Well I enjoy it in a different way. I agree with Gunnshairline... I did go through a period where I was a little dispondent as the game I grew up with the terraces ££ changed the game. So I enjoy it on a different level, I shed a tear each time I see us line up for that game against Brum in Cardiff on the 1902-2002 dvd. I remember the feeling, I remember the feeling when I was outside City Hall when Hux and Iwan had helped us to the prem. and my first ever experience of a promotion. Since then a mixed bag, I have worked at the club, worked in soccer in America, celebrated our League 1 championship while living in Singapore. The game is different, many things I don''t like and hence why I do like other sports.

I do think the modern game and everything about the football development here in the UK needs a shake up. Clubs going out of business, big clubs I am talking about, may be the only way for it to happen.

On a side note my first experiences of football were free nights at Carrow Road to see the reserves, fantastic nights with great players. Competitive games and many soon to be first team players, it was on a Friday night. For me get reserves back on a Friday, reach out to the community and a new supporter. Research states that by the age of 8 a child will have emotional attachment to a club, I still think NCFC fail at this having worked in the states and seen there methods. But reserves are an important way to engage with football fans that are now priced out of the game. I would not say £100-150 just for tickets for a family of 4 will always be good value for money. There are other sports where for that money you will be entertained and see sporting achievement, in football you sometimes miss out.

But for me engage the young and bring them in to the story of NCFC. I always think a new player/ manager should see our 1902-2002 dvd alongside recent developments. This is a club with a rich history and it is important that people coming in understand what the club is.

I''ve watched Norwich since the 1950''s and all eras have their good and bad points!

I always laugh at those who look at everything in the past through rose tinted glasses cause it wasn''t all good. The violence of the 1970''s till the mid 80''s was hidious, the overpacked terraces were diasters waiting to happen, the atmosphere wasn''t always wonderful with all the crowd singing all through the game like some make out and some of the dirty tackling was outragous!

Todays era would be better if their was proper stadning areas for the many who wish to stand, cut out playacting by the players, more Saturday 3pm games, Norwich taking cup games seriously and Carrow Road being able to hold at least 10,000 more than what it currently does!

[quote user="BroadstairsR"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I went to my first game on Boxing Day 1948, and paid at the gate with one of my mint-condition 1938 shillings. You see, back in those days, rich men would ride around in Zeppelins, dropping coins on people, and one day I seen J.D. Rockefeller flying by. So I run of the house with a big washtub which I''d used that very morning to wash my turkey, which in those days was known as a walking-bird. We''d always have walking-bird on Christmas Day, with all the trimmings: cranberries, injun eyes, yams stuffed with gunpowder. Then we all went to watch football, which in those days was called baseball.  I forget the score, it was something-something to one side or the other, but I was hooked, I tell you, hooked!

[quote user="Bore Bore Bor"][quote user="BroadstairsR"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I went to my first game on Boxing Day 1948, and paid at the gate with one of my mint-condition 1938 shillings. You see, back in those days, rich men would ride around in Zeppelins, dropping coins on people, and one day I seen J.D. Rockefeller flying by. So I run of the house with a big washtub which I''d used that very morning to wash my turkey, which in those days was known as a walking-bird. We''d always have walking-bird on Christmas Day, with all the trimmings: cranberries, injun eyes, yams stuffed with gunpowder. Then we all went to watch football, which in those days was called baseball.  I forget the score, it was something-something to one side or the other, but I was hooked, I tell you, hooked!

[/quote]I took my grandson to his first game in 1912 when football was played in black and white and happened very quickly, which is why old films look so strange.  I lost my right eye in a bizarre rattle injury and still had change from a tanner when I got home.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I took my grandson to his first game in 1912 when football was played in black and white and happened very quickly, which is why old films look so strange.  I lost my right eye in a bizarre rattle injury and still had change from a tanner when I got home.[/quote]Ah, 1912 brings back vivid memories. I remember me and some mates having a kick around on the decks of the Titanic when it hit that bloody iceberg. Made it vey difficult to control the ball after that. Then people started running on the pitch and we had to call it off.Never did get to replay it though! [:(]

"I lost my right eye in a bizarre rattle injury"

Sorry, Chopsy, but when your celebratory flat-cap throw caught me full in the scrimmage, my rattle came in handy in administering a "Nelson".

And what''s this nonsense about refusing to support our boys in their blue and white halves, spouting something about preferring our away kit of green and yellow.

That''s about as likely to catch on as these new-fangled motor-car thingies, or our wing back Lancelot Smythe Hoolahan being able to use his right foot.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="BroadstairsR"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Pah! We needed four fatalities each game simply so we''d get something to use as goalposts.

Football is always better NOW.There have been lots of NOW''s over the last 59 years and I hope for lots of NOW''s still to come.In fact I expect to see another NOW tomorrow afternoon.[;)]