Sign in to follow this  
PH

Its a sad day - 'Norwich' glory hunters are back in town

Yankee I dont go in for generalisations, I do know the background of the people I am talking about and I can assure you they will not be here when things start to go wrong. I welcome new fans if they are going to be good supporters of the club. Nobody is more pleased than me to see Carrow Rd full to the rafters.
I am talking about people down the pub and on the bus and other such places, who find they have discovered something that no one else is aware of or as in the original thread decide they have on their doorstep a vehicle for seeing the likes of Van Nistelrooy and Henry.

Sorry getting away from the original thread but onto the "sub thread" & with reference to Gazzathegreats point in particular.

Like many others who are not fortunate to live in the area I make every effort to get to games. Despite travelling over 400 miles (round trip) from the footballing backwater of Swindon I still hold a season ticket & until the birth of my son last year I''d attended every home game bar midweek. Not only that but I bring my nephew too who I managed to turn from being a Gunner (Glory hunting father supporting Arsenal but from Northampton-Go figure) into a fully fledged young canary.
My son will grow up knowing all the players I can remember & hopefully he will have NCFC memories of his own to pass on to his kids & so on. Just because he was born in Swindon why does that make his opportunity to follow the canaries any less valid than me as I was born in the fine city?

Get over it & realise the world is a smaller place & people move not because they always want to but still have a right to hold onto their roots.

I''m not looking for a medal (unless it''s a nice shiny one) but we are getting to the stage where we''re endorsing the "your not from round these parts" approach.

Regardless of if you''ve followed the Canaries for 100''s of years or travel from the moon to a game each week it doesn''t matter as long as you wear the yellow & green for whatever reason. Why should someone have a degree in NCFC just to come along & cheer them on?

Rant over. Lets stuff the unhappy Hammers this Saturday. OTBC.

I think a lot of people are making a lot of good points here, and I stand somewhere in the middle.

One point I think is important is "will they still be here next year". If they won''t AND they are taking place of a fan who WILL be then that is quite hard to take.

On the other hand, people wanting to come and cheer us on is a good thing.

On the OTHER hand (I have three hands) - if we end up with an atmosphere like Highbury where no-one knows the songs, most people are on business trips, everyone gets annoyed when one person passes the ball astray, and leaves 15 mins before the end to get to the car first then THAT WOULD BE A BAD THING!

I think we need to make a distinction here between people who can''t make it to the footy due to travel distances, family ties etc but still take an active interest in Norwich City and have done in the past. These people are of course NOT glory hunters. The people that make my blood boil are the "fans" who know little of the game, the club and the players and who''s number one reason for getting a season ticket is that we will be in the Premiership playing teams such as Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal. These people are in my opinion taking up seats for my worthy supporters.

I am someone who has suffered because of these glory supporters.
I am a student who has just come back, and i have been a fan as long as i can remember.
I had a season ticket for a few yrs in the days of Hamilton and even being a student have invested in shares.
I have gone to as many games as i can make and now i am able to make all Saturdays but i see there are no season tickets left. Obviously fans like me are worth nothing to the club as when i contacted them they didn''t want to know.
I think it''s a disgrace i cant get hold of a season ticket because of these glory fans, who don''t even like Norwich or follow our songs.
Very dissapointed at Ncfc for not doing anything for people in my position. I am not the only one either.
Maybe if i could prove my past season tickets, shares tickets from last season, cardiff i could get some sort of priority.
I don''t mind if were in div1 next season, i just want to watch my team play as i love ncfc.

ok, regarding ''rights'' to tickets

if the club restricts tickets to previous season ticket stub holders then there would never be any new fans.

I''ve been a Spurs supporter since the year zero (born in ''ackney''), - my dad used to take me to nearly every match at the Lane, I''ve got all the programmes and rosettes etc...it doesn''t get me a ticket these days.

We moved to Norwich because we love the place and as ''proper'' football supporters we get behind the local team. I''m sorry, but if we lived in Ipxxxxx we''d support them.

I believe in supporting my local team (blimey, I used to go to Sarfend!)

Without being flash (so of course I will be) I can afford for my missus and me to be season ticket supporters of City and we''ll be at every game we can with our colours on - eating the pies, drinking beer ... but we need to learn the songs!!!

i think it''s good to have as many supporters as is possible, all support is good. (i''m not a glory hunter btw) i started watching norwich the 1st yr they played in the 1st division so i aint seen them in the premier league yet live.

just like to say that I didn''t read the last 5 posts, sorry too long and I have to leave work, but I would like to say that the last game I went to was at Cardiff and the one before that was when we were last in the Premiership. What class of fan does that make me?

From that statement I bet most of you would say "Glory hunter". Well you are wrong. I have supported NCFC since birth. When I moved from Norwich to Stevenage I was bullied relentlessly by the Arsenal, Man U, Spurs fans for years and I still get grief today from players in my Sunday league team when I turn up to training in the latest Yellow and green strip (even bought a yellow strip as the reserve kit for the team). I get the goals of every single game text to my mobile and have done for 4 years. I am Yellow and Green and nothing else. Just because I have only been to 2 matches in the last 10 years doesn''t mean I am not a fan. I generate cash for the club buying all the latest kit whilst leaving a seat in the stand for a local fan, quite generous really.
Now my parents are moving back to Norwich and my Dad is trying to get a season ticket, if I share in that ticket and come to the ground every now and then, I am going to be accused of being a glory hunter?

StevenageFan,

Let me say right now that I do not class fans like you as glory hunters in anyway. People like you and SwindonNCFC aren''t glory hunters. You have supported the club for years and just because you can''t make it every week that doesn''t make you any less of a fan. Like I''ve said before it''s the people that only take an interest when the club starts to do well that annoys me

Well said wiz,money is the most important thing to City however they get it! However this is a reply to all of you on here,just hapened to click on wizards post! Now iv''e been a city fan since the very early 70''s and have seen some cr@p and some good times over these years,unfortunatley most of those years have been cra@p with the exception of the odd few seasons. I along with all you so called die hard fans hate seeing norfolk born kids wearing the shirts of Manu and the likes,but theres naff all any of us can do about it! My missis is expecting in late febuary and im afraid boy or girl my kids gonna be wearing city baby suits and bibbs wether it likes it or not!

Now to the serious bit,i can hold my hands up,i havent been to watch a city game all season(doesnt mean to say i dont go through the thrills and agony of those at carrow road though)Radio Norfolk,text alerts,ceefax,you name it.Im there with you lot in mind just not body!

The sad bit is that i havent seen city win a game at home for a couple of seasons or more,every time i have gone they have lost (ask Roy Waller and Adams) they know,so its not just Huckerby and the lads who have brought good fortune to city this season,i must be included aswell for keeping away from carrow road so they dont lose! But do not worry,i will be steering clear from carrow road next season to help them all i can in thr Prem!!!!

Hiya Stevenage Fan (James).. Fully agree with you. As you know I have just left Navy after being away for basically 22 years but did get to attend the odd game when home for weekends. Thought I could then get to more games when I left but have landed a job in Police Force and now work shifts so even now have to miss many games but go to those I can (Including West Ham tomorrow) and Gillingham in Mar. Having also been a member since the membership scheme started along with my dad although cant attend many games consider myself a die hard Canary Fan who although being a member may still not be able to get tickets next season due to 95% of the ground being for season ticket holders.

my first post here - i hope this doesn''t label me a glory hunter just cos i havn''t posted before. I am a season ticket holder of some years - way back when the regular crowds were around 11 or 12 thousand. In fact I am in the River End which I think makes me even more die hard that the barclay gory hunters (j/k). I had to sit there cos at that time I didnt want to subject my kids to the kinda language at the other end. Unfortunately I am stuck there now.

i know it''s frustrating when new people turn up who clearly never been to a football game in their life but I thought casual tickets and the new south stand tickets were only available to members. It''s simply not possible to turn up and get a ticket even if you''re local. If you can only get to a game sometimes then you need to become a member and get in quick when the tickets come on sale. I''ve not seen a genuine non-football fan at a game since they stopped giving free tickets away at the local schools. Even the old codgers in the River End are starting to get more animated even though the moaning still continues unabated.

As I say I started going when the crowds were a bit over 11 thousand on a cold Tuesday night in the winter. When we were in the premiership the annual season ticket sales were about 8000 i think. Now we''re talking 18,000+. So are we saying there are over 10 thousand glory hunters?

I think the notion of glory hunters is over estimated. Over time people will drift in and out. Casual tickets have been available only to members for the last two seasons.

You make a good point fishbulbman, I agree that the thing about glory hunters is being over estimated.

The fact is that Delia has raised the profile of this club of the field. NW is raisning it back again on the field. When things go well we all feel more motivated to go along more frequently.

18,500 is a huge amount of season tickets and until the last few weeks its never ever been an issue before. There has been plenty of time to get a season ticket so just because others got in the queue before is tough.

I don''t have a season ticket but then I work almost every Saturday afternoon. And its a long way from home too. When I do get the time off I can''t go because the games sell out before I can get a ticket and before I know when I will be off. So at the moment I find it very difficult to get to a game. I am now heavily reliant on commentary, sky, internet, teletext, whatever. Am I sore? No.

Every truly "big" match over the thirty years I have supported City there has been a rush. Was it deathly silent at cardiff because we had 18,000 "glory hunters" who were not going to Carrow Road? What about those nights of Euro football, the FA Cup semis, The Milk Cup final and the semi against Ipswich in ''85? Great nights, great passion and could have been sold many times over. I didn''t notice vast swathes of people who didn''t know any songs.

Face it, demand exceeds supply at the moment. Lets just rejoice in the fact that we all want to be part of it, its great that the team is creating such excitement and I would much rather know that the great potential support of our club is at long last being tapped. May these times last long- the day I can stroll up at 2.55 and pick my seat anywhere I like means something will have gone very wrong.

I''m off to work soon ,so enjoy the game you lucky people. I''ll have to get the result way after the whistles gone.