Sign in to follow this  
Gingerpele

Andrew Surman- Fast becoming our best player?

I think so, I really do.

He''s a great passer, as good as Hoolahan and Fox. Also pretty handy in the box. He''s been getting stuck in (winning the ball, on the ground and in the air) a lot more in the past couple of months (something he didn''t really do before, or last season), he''s more of a threat in the final third than Hoolahan mostly, very clever on and off the ball. Offers a different dynamic, nearly got in behind Rio to pull a ball back to Jackson at one point, and a bit before that nearly ghosted past 3/4 Man.U defenders into the box.

Fox is key in the midfield, and Hoolahan is still a great centre piece for building our attacks, and Holt will always be the talisman. But is Surman actually maybe our best player?

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I think so, I really do.

He''s a great passer, as good as Hoolahan and Fox. Also pretty handy in the box. He''s been getting stuck in (winning the ball, on the ground and in the air) a lot more in the past couple of months (something he didn''t really do before, or last season), he''s more of a threat in the final third than Hoolahan mostly, very clever on and off the ball. Offers a different dynamic, nearly got in behind Rio to pull a ball back to Jackson at one point, and a bit before that nearly ghosted past 3/4 Man.U defenders into the box.

Fox is key in the midfield, and Hoolahan is still a great centre piece for building our attacks, and Holt will always be the talisman. But is Surman actually maybe our best player?[/quote]

Hey Ginger, I totally agree. I was really concerned after the first 4 or 5 games, Surman was struggling so badly. I now think he has been close to our best also. I thinking Holty has been our best over the whole stretch but so many great performances through out the whole squad. Cannot agree about Hooly though, sorry!

So many people still on fence about him but i said as soon as he arrived how big he''d be for us. He''s a player i''ve followed for years and was delighted to see him sign.

Unfortunately i raved about him so much my dad and brother got to the point where all they see is the bad and still fail to see the good or have to counter it with "yea but he did...."

He isn''t a winger which some people don''t understand. He is your wide midfielder, crafting out the chances for the runners. He does this very effectively and in my opinion reads the game better than anyone else at the club.

He gets forward well, links up well and completely agree is becoming one of our biggest assets.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]IMO - he''s the 3rd name down on the team sheet every week.

Behind Holt & Ruddy.
[/quote]

Totally agree, these 3 are definitely the form men for me.

chuffed for him. So vital to the team for the balance, fluidity and quality on the ball. Works his socks off too. Chuffed with everything atm despite Giggsy breaking my heart. Ryan Bennett to come in Saturday and Howson waiting in the wings. Happy days!

I''ve watched more of less every game on PL TV over here and every game he is the one who runs most distance, now seems to be confident he is capable at this level

He''s really started to motor over the last few months hasn''t he?

Was it QPR at home when he got his place back-Lambert made a few changes for that game and everyone was talking about it before kick off, "Surman''s in" etc, but, really, he hasn''t looked back since.

When he first started playing for Southampton a lot was expected of him, Wolves wasn''t the right club for him, but, by God, I think we are, absolutely, the club for an Andrew Surman. Its unusual to see a player with so much passing abiliity and talent on the ball to also have the energy that he has, to be involved with everything and be such an athelete, but thats exactly what he is showing this season. He''d be my POTS at the moment and I''m sure that the top 3 will be a permuatation of him, Ruddy and Holt (though things may change) but yes, he''s become absolutely pivotal for us this season & you can see why Newcastle are supposedly looking at him.

Get him (and Martin) signed up PDQ!

Its no coincidence that PL left out Holt, Ruddy and Surman last week. Our three most important players at the moment.   Surman -wow, don''t thigs change.   I hope all the Surman bashers are now fully converted and appreciate what a fine player he is.    The c**p on here earlier this season was utterly ridiculous and  he has shown his class in the face of the moaning in best way - on the pitch.  Wilbo is  also showing it too, actually they all are, apart from one or two who seem to be having off field problems. 

He''s playing some brilliant stuff at the moment and his work rate is phenomenal.

He must be in the form of his life...but I still think there could be more to come from him.

The midfield is looking great at the mo - Surman Fox and Pilkington the core then a few options for the 4th man, with Elliott & wes currently the best of the rest (as another post points out BJ simply not up to the same standard) Will be interesting to see what Howson brings...

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]The midfield is looking great at the mo - Surman Fox and Pilkington the core then a few options for the 4th man, with Elliott & wes currently the best of the rest (as another post points out BJ simply not up to the same standard) Will be interesting to see what Howson brings...[/quote]

Another one leaps onto the scapegoat bandwagon. Just think, a few weeks ago the scapegoat jacket belonged to "Lightweight Surman".

lol - where is the scapegoating??? All I have said is that I think we have better midfielders that BJ.

We have a squad of midfielders and all i have said is that BJ is not up to the same standard, that does not mean he is a scapegoat, not good enough or has not earned his place in the squad - just that I think others are better than him in our squad - and the same comments apply to crofts - pleased to have them in the squad, I would always start with others.

Zipper, don''t you think their are more fans around these days, moaning about other fans moaning, making scapegoats, booing players etc, than there is actually doing the things these people are moaning about?

I don''t very often have a negative opinion on anything NCFC, but its allowed. BJ isn''t our best midfielder, not by a long shot, thats allowed to be said, its not making him a scapegoat, its pretty much a fact. There was a time, when Surman did appear lightweight because he wasn''t getting stuck in, and quite often got nudged off the ball easily, now he''s not. But yet, there are still fans like you, like Baldyboy, who have to keep having ago at anyone with a slightly negative opinion.

I can almost guarantee every Norwich fan (bar Banana) is delighted with our club at the moment. The only thing annoying me, is fans moaning whenever there is a slightly negative comment from someone. As I said, i''m not one for bashing players, but its allowed, and a lot of the time, its not just saying ''BJ is crap, lets get rid'' its actually an argument founded in that person''s view of a game/s. BJ wasn''t as good as he was earlier in the season yesterday, surely you can agree on that? And with that in mind, and Fox, Surman & Pilks great form, Bennett and Hoolahan as good as ever, surely its not making BJ a scapegoat by saying he''s not the best midfielder by a long shot, and he didn''t have a great game yesterday?

Everyone is allowed an opinion, your allowed to moan about other people''s opinion if you want, but maybe just try thinking about what they''ve said, and if you don''t agree at all, say why, don''t just make accusations.

ginger p - if you read my posts they mirror exactly what you said? I am not sure what accusations I have made - unless you meant to start with Webbo instead of Zipper?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]lol - where is the scapegoating??? All I have said is that I think we have better midfielders that BJ. We have a squad of midfielders and all i have said is that BJ is not up to the same standard, that does not mean he is a scapegoat, not good enough or has not earned his place in the squad - just that I think others are better than him in our squad - and the same comments apply to crofts - pleased to have them in the squad, I would always start with others.[/quote]

I agree with what you''re saying about BJ.

For a free transfer I think he''s a very good player for us to have in the squad but his lack of pace lets him down. Players and teams pass around him a little bit too easily and he can be sluggish to get the ball out of his feet when he''s in possession.

He does play some good, sensible stuff but he''s hasn''t really got much of a forward pass in his locker.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Only the first question was directed towards you, not the rest, I wasn''t making an accusation towards you...[/quote]

yup - can see that now! :-)

there does seem to be a lot of defensiveness - if you are not saying a player has played a 10/10 you suddenly become a scummer etc, so sharing an opinion becomes hard.. I do agree that people moaning about the people moaning about the people moaning are abhorrent though - Doh! [:-)]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]This is a first, everyone agrees with me :O

It took over 11,000 posts but I finally said something sensible :)[/quote]

I got 10,000 chances to beat you do you think i can do it Pele?

FFS GP now i have to agree with you again [8-)].I have constantly defended the bloke, to be fair. The lightweight moan went on for quite a bit, even though myself and others (Lambert included) pointed out it is his technical side of the game which get''s him into the team. However, i do feel after a good run of games he is at the top of his form, and has retained posession as well as won it for us countless times over the past month, especially.Fantastic player who we''re lucky to have, if Wolves had given him the proper chance he might still be playing for them.

does anyone else want the formation of 4-2-3-1 when howson gets fit?

----------------------------------Ruddy--------------------------------

naughton--------------bennett---------------whitbread-----------tierney

-------------------------------fox-----surman---------------------------

bennett--------------------------howson----------------------pilkington

-----------------------------------holt----------------------------------

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

[quote user="BW"][quote user="Gingerpele"]This is a first, everyone agrees with me :O

It took over 11,000 posts but I finally said something sensible :)[/quote]

I got 10,000 chances to beat you do you think i can do it Pele?[/quote]

I''m not sure, as long as you''ve got those rumours out of your system, maybe just maybe.

But he is the same player he was 3 or 4 months ago. What has to be realised is that every player has ups and downs in form, fitness levels can change (even a small increase/decrease can have an impact on performance) and minor, niggling injuries can affect confidence. At the start of the season he was still a technically gifted player who kept possession of the ball. However, he was labelled "lightweight". There are still people who sit not a million miles from him who shout for him to be substituted on his first mistake of the game. Perhaps they don''t read this Message Board!!

[quote user="Webbo118"]But he is the same player he was 3 or 4 months ago. What has to be realised is that every player has ups and downs in form, fitness levels can change (even a small increase/decrease can have an impact on performance) and minor, niggling injuries can affect confidence. At the start of the season he was still a technically gifted player who kept possession of the ball. However, he was labelled "lightweight". There are still people who sit not a million miles from him who shout for him to be substituted on his first mistake of the game. Perhaps they don''t read this Message Board!![/quote]

"From me"