Sign in to follow this  
AJ

Who would you call up? New England pull-outs

Not strictly Norwich related, but the idea of Holt or Johnson getting a call up sounds interesting.

Walker, Rooney, Bent and Cleverly have now all pulled out, who would you call up?

Surely not Naughton, Holt, Johnson and Wilbraham? :P

Are they even going to bother replacing anyone?

Holt should be, but he won''t. Johnson? He wasn''t very good (no where near his best anyway) yesterday, Naughton can''t be a million miles behind Walker, Richards and Johnson can he?

And Wilbraham, of course he should be in the England squad, he''s like MK Dons second highest scorer of all time, doesn''t that count for anything?

If you want maturity, a down to earth approach, a player of great courage,  a fantastic finisher, a player who shows passion when he walks on to a football pitch, a player who will never let you down, a player that has proved himself at every level, thats Holt.   Who will they go for? Caroll.

How about Pilks?

Had the beating of Evra yesterday and looked like he had the beating of Phil Jones too.

Been in better form than some in the squad.

I''d quite like to see Nathan Dyer (Swansea) and Holt called up, I imagine Richards (Man City) will get a call up to replace Walker, no doubt he''ll call up Crouch or someone lame instead of giving Holt a chance

[quote user="AJ"]I''d quite like to see Nathan Dyer (Swansea) and Holt called up, I imagine Richards (Man City) will get a call up to replace Walker, no doubt he''ll call up Crouch or someone lame instead of giving Holt a chance[/quote]

Richards is already in the squad. I don''t think there will be any replacements called up to be honest.

I think people need to give up on the idea of Holt for England - he is coming up to 31 and although Norwich fans would love it, the wider perception would be like when Kevin Davis was called up. If someone new is brought into the squad it should be a player who could represent England in two years time at the next World Cup.

[quote user="lake district canary"]If you want maturity, a down to earth approach, a player of great courage,  a fantastic finisher, a player who shows passion when he walks on to a football pitch, a player who will never let you down, a player that has proved himself at every level, thats Holt.   Who will they go for? Caroll.

[/quote]You forgot to mention that he is the second highest English goal scorer in the PL after Rooney

Surman deserves to be in the England squad as much as anyone based on current form.

(Surman was born in South Africa to British parents and moved to England in 1995 and has made four appearances for England under 21''s)

It would be a dream come true for Grant Holt.... but realistically a fringe youngster for the experience.

Although not injured is it possible to remove Danny Wellbeck from the squad, watching him fluff some excellent chances yesterday hardly convinced me he was more worthy of a spot in the England team than the player up the other end getting himself on the scoresheet..again!

Surman is in great form at the moment, but is he better than the players currently occupying the england centre midfield positions? , not for me sorry. Of the current squad I think we will see Ruddy and R.Bennett in the England squad at some point, cannot see any others imo.

hahaha R.Bennett? you have barely seen him play how can you make such a judgement and he has never played at a higher level. I rate him highly based on opinions i have heard but you cant say he will play for England yet.

[quote user="BW"]hahaha R.Bennett? you have barely seen him play how can you make such a judgement and he has never played at a higher level. I rate him highly based on opinions i have heard but you cant say he will play for England yet.[/quote]

So you dont think R Bennett will ever get a full England cap then?

Actualy I know how you will answer.. you wont, you will say too early to tell/not seen him play etc. Well, laugh at me all you want but I can still have a opinion that one day he will. I had not seen much of Frazer Campbell but was pretty sure he would/will get a cap at some point because 1. he played for the under 21''s, 2. Caps are handed out like confetti at a wedding and 3. He was highly thought of by some knowledgable and respected managers in the game. Out of interest, I wonder how many england CB''s that have played for the under 21''s have not gone onto make full apperances in the last 15 years? probably a shed load now Ive said that.

It''s weird, someone on here the other day was telling me that I shouldnt disagree with the decisions and opinions of the experts, those with proper football knowledge within the game. Now im told that I have to see the player with my own eyes.. cannot catch a break this year :)

[quote user="Son Ova Gunn"]

[quote user="BW"]hahaha R.Bennett? you have barely seen him play how can you make such a judgement and he has never played at a higher level. I rate him highly based on opinions i have heard but you cant say he will play for England yet.[/quote]

Actualy I know how you will answer.. you wont, you will say too early to tell/not seen him play etc. Well, laugh at me all you want but I can still have a opinion that one day he will. I had not seen much of Frazer Campbell but was pretty sure he would/will get a cap at some point because 1. he played for the under 21''s, 2. Caps are handed out like confetti at a wedding and 3. He was highly thought of by some knowledgable and respected managers in the game. Out of interest, I wonder how many england CB''s that have played for the under 21''s have not gone onto make full apperances in the last 15 years? probably a shed load now Ive said that.

It''s weird, someone on here the other day was telling me that I shouldnt disagree with the decisions and opinions of the experts, those with proper football knowledge within the game. Now im told that I have to see the player with my own eyes.. cannot catch a break this year :)

[/quote]

Lot''s and lot''s and lot''s.

Sutch and Butterworth spring straight to mind. But also players like Liam Ridgewell, Curtis Davis and Miles Addison. Although not a defender it is also worth mentioning that Lee Croft was an England U-21 player as well.

Just go to this page and enjoy the some of the excellent footballers that have made it into the U-21 team;

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:England_under-21_international_footballers&pageuntil=Flanagan%2C+Jon%0AJon+Flanagan#mw-pages

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Son Ova Gunn"]

[/quote]

Lot''s and lot''s and lot''s.

Sutch and Butterworth spring straight to mind. But also players like Liam Ridgewell, Curtis Davis and Miles Addison. Although not a defender it is also worth mentioning that Lee Croft was an England U-21 player as well.

Just go to this page and enjoy the some of the excellent footballers that have made it into the U-21 team;

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:England_under-21_international_footballers&pageuntil=Flanagan%2C+Jon%0AJon+Flanagan#mw-pages

[/quote]

Pulling out Lee Croft was a low blow man! but well played sir. :)

Ok, looking at the 2011 under 21 squad you have got... jamie tomkins, kyle walker (capped), kieran gibbs (capped), phil jones (capped), chris smalling (capped), ryan bertrand, micheal mancienne. Thats 4 senior caps and 3 still to be capped and plenty of time to do so. In the era of Sutch and Butterworth we didnt play so many games and a cap was much harder to get. Looking at the Euro squads back to 2000 there are some notible exceptions, Davis a notible one as you point out (but still well over half have gone onto full england teams), but I stand by my point, it is not silly to say that I think he will one day get a cap, I definately dont think its more silly than saying Andrew Surman will get a England cap.