Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

So if russell martin is worth £4m...

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

The sell high, buy low attitude is not consistently acheivable nor conducive to maintaining a viable squad or settled manager.

Source: Robert Chase.

[/quote]

Sell off the ones that don''t cut it,  keep the ones that can.   It''s got nothing to do with finances - expcept if the player wants to leave.  The advantage we have is that we have Paul Lambert.   That is a key feature of the transfer conundrum.   Players will want to stay because he is here.  Players will want to come here because of him.   As long as he is manager we should be able to keep most of our best players.    I don''t go along with the sell high buy low that is so common place.    If the good ship Lambert ever falters or he leaves for anotther club - then we may have problems, but until then, I believe, it is onwards and upwards.    Money isn''t everything - I think we have a brilliant set up for further progress up the league - building on what we''ve got, not selling our best players.     

[/quote]Agent: "Hi player, Aston Villa want to talk to you."Player: "No thanks, I really like playing for Paul Lambert."Agent: "Aston Villa will pay you £25k a week."Player: "I''m listening."

Whilst I agree that a player has a right to chase the highest earnings, I can''t see that he has to necessarily retire when his playing days  are over.

There are lots of openings still left in the game and their profile would surely be of help to them seeking employment outside the game.

I feel that this concept is out-dated and harks back to the time when footballers earned so litle that they had to think ahead. Many bought pubs, of course.

My old chap''s next door neighbour was Jim Oliver. Jim ( nice chap,) I believe had a Norwich sports shop. Sounds pretty good, but the house on Aysham Road was a fairly average semi and far from the properties even the lesser pros own today. 

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

The sell high, buy low attitude is not consistently acheivable nor conducive to maintaining a viable squad or settled manager.

[/quote]

Sell off the ones that don''t cut it,  keep the ones that can.   It''s got nothing to do with finances - expcept if the player wants to leave.  The advantage we have is that we have Paul Lambert.   That is a key feature of the transfer conundrum.   Players will want to stay because he is here.  Players will want to come here because of him.   As long as he is manager we should be able to keep most of our best players.    I don''t go along with the sell high buy low that is so common place.    If the good ship Lambert ever falters or he leaves for anotther club - then we may have problems, but until then, I believe, it is onwards and upwards.    Money isn''t everything - I think we have a brilliant set up for further progress up the league - building on what we''ve got, not selling our best players.     

[/quote]

Agent: "Hi player, Aston Villa want to talk to you."

Player: "No thanks, I really like playing for Paul Lambert."

Agent: "Aston Villa will pay you £25k a week."

Player: "I''m listening."

[/quote]

I repeat - money isn''t everything but if a player wants to chase money - let him.    My argument is based on footballers who recognise why they are at this football club.    They are here because they have a certain attitude.  Brian Clough took certain players where ever he went, so up to a point has Martin O''Neill.   Paul Lambert does the same. He inspires loyalty - I fully expect most of the players to stay at Carrow Rd despite the temptations of playing for so called bigger clubs.   

That model all sounds very logical LDC, the Lambert factor is huge and will have a big influence on our ability to retain and attract players I agree. But you cant take the economics totally out of the equation. With a club like ours who have limited funds there is bound to be pressure if a big bid comes in for a player, particularly where we have good competition for places which IMO we do for our keeper. If there are other areas of the squad that need to be strengthened and money from player sales goes into the managers player budget, then we will sell to strengthen elsewhere. Also as has been said previously, the Lambert factor will not always be sufficient to prevent top players wanting to secure more lucrative contracts elsewhere. Why would it?  

[quote user="Smokebomb"]That model all sounds very logical LDC, the Lambert factor is huge and will have a big influence on our ability to retain and attract players I agree. But you cant take the economics totally out of the equation. With a club like ours who have limited funds there is bound to be pressure if a big bid comes in for a player, particularly where we have good competition for places which IMO we do for our keeper. If there are other areas of the squad that need to be strengthened and money from player sales goes into the managers player budget, then we will sell to strengthen elsewhere. Also as has been said previously, the Lambert factor will not always be sufficient to prevent top players wanting to secure more lucrative contracts elsewhere. Why would it?  
[/quote]

I know its an ideal scenario - we keep our best players, sell the ones that can''t make the grade, then we carry on going up.  I do believe it can happen up to a point, but I think the general strength of the squad will stay strong, even if the odd player does leave to develop his career.   I was thinking about 95 when our star players left and basically that was it, end of the good times for a long time.    I just don''t see that happening this time, especially as we have PL.      The squad is going to carry on improving and I do believe that the majority of players will stay for the long term - as long as we have PL here.     

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agent: "Hi player, Aston Villa want to talk to you."

Player: "No thanks, I really like playing for Paul Lambert."

Agent: "Aston Villa will pay you £25k a week."

Player: "I''m listening."

[/quote]

I repeat - money isn''t everything but if a player wants to chase money - let him.    My argument is based on footballers who recognise why they are at this football club.    They are here because they have a certain attitude.  Brian Clough took certain players where ever he went, so up to a point has Martin O''Neill.   Paul Lambert does the same. He inspires loyalty - I fully expect most of the players to stay at Carrow Rd despite the temptations of playing for so called bigger clubs.   

[/quote]

So if Lambert went off to someone like Liverpool or Arsenal, he''d take the likes of Tierney, Fox and R Martin with him?

[quote user="star_manic"].....totally agree and i can sympathise with players over this as a career is all too short and they will feel the need to make the most cash they can to support them and their families in a very long retirement[/quote]Sorry but this is just total bs.I''m totally fed up of this ''short career'' nonsense that gets spouted, because when a player retires from professional football, it doesn''t make them any less able to take a ''normal'' job like the rest of us ''normal'' people.They may have developed less workplace related skills than many, but all joking aside, why can''t a footballer take a job in the ''unskilled'' sector of the workplace? Are they suddenly too good to collect bins, work on a checkout or flip burgers? Hell, some of them would probably be great as ''greeters'' in places like B&Q, imagine going to look at a new bathroom and having the likes of Hucks or Dion saying hello at the door and guiding you to the right section!What''s more is that at the age of usual retirement from football, players have the time (and usually money) to be able to retrain in something they might like to do going forwards.I''m just sick of this bizarre assumption that once you leave football, you''re on the scrapheap and good for nothing else than sitting on your arse counting the cash you''ve accumulated over a ''short career''.Never mind sneering at 10k a week, try getting just over 10k a year and then you might be able to bitch...

If someone is willing to double/quadruple your salary you''re at least going to hear them out. A player like Van Persie at the age of 28 potentially has one big move in him and with it a very lucrative signing on-fee (along with his agent who will be pushing all the way).

However this is where the size of our club for once plays into our favour. Realistically we''re a medium sized club ala Wolves/West Brom/Southampton etc.

Only other mid-sized teams who are either massively wealthy or above us in the league will want to big for our players. The top-tier clubs will only spend on smaller clubs in English Football if they see exceptional young talent (Bale / Walcott / Oxlade-Chamberlain / Rooney) generally speaking.

As the media are always quick to point out, we have no ''stars'' in the squad.

All resulting in the only two realistic clubs that both a) a player might want to move to b) the club has enough money for us to accept a potential bid..being the two clubs in the North-East.

Newcastle and Sunderland for me are the only two current teams that would want to /be able to attract one of our players (or manager).

And the assumption that everything in life has a price.

You show what is wrong in society today and why we are in the mess we are at the moment.

One day the real values of life will be found again.

Would I move across the country away from the place I have lived and enjoyed and made friends and have family for double my salary? Would I hell!

Money is only a means to an end.

Let''s move away from Norfolk and go to somewhere else in the country just as good? There isn''t anywhere!

GK.RUDDY=£3.5M

RB.R.MARTIN=£3M

CB.WARD=£1.5M

CB.WHITBREAD=£2.5M

LB.TIERNEY=£3M

MF.JOHNSON=£3M

MF.FOX=£3M

MF.SURMAN=£3M

MF.PILKINGTON=£4M

ST.HOLT=3.5M

ST.JACKSON=£2M

SUBS.WILBRAHAMOVIC=£400.00

SUBS.MORISON=£3.5M

SUBS.CROFT=£1M

SUBS.STEER=£1.5M

SUBS.DRURY=N/A

SUBS.BENNET=£2.5M

SUBS.AYALA=£3M

SUBS.HOWSON=£3M

SUBS.BENNETT=£3.5M

SUBS.HOOLAHAN=£2M

I think thats a pretty fair estimate, except Ayala, not sure why he has tripled in value since we bought him, unless you thinking is that we got him for a steal. Think he was a good price, but not sure we underpaid by that much. Think maybe a little more for Ruddy as well.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

[/quote]

Weird how we managed to finish 3rd, 4th and 5th in the top tier of football and reached 2 FA Cup Semi Finals while doing that.

Weird how we managed to finish 3rd, 4th and 5th in the top tier of football and reached 2 FA Cup Semi Finals while doing that.

Why let statistical reality get in the way of things though Tangy?

GP - I agree but what a player is worth objectively and what we would sell them for are two different things. Leeds fans will tell you that Snodgrass shouldnt be sold for any less than £7m but is he worth more than £4m?. Put it another way, the same player at two different clubs can be worth two very different prices depending on the clubs finances and squad position and happyness to name three so I think the values that Zemas used are more based on market valuation rather than what they are worth to us

But it can''t be done in perpetuity can it Tangy?   Chase tried and ended up dropping out of the EPL just as the BIG money was coming in.

Had he taken a different approach the increased TV revenues could have made us a permanent fixture. Who gets relegated from the EPL? It''s newly promoted sides and established sides who go out of their way to cock things up because ''statistically it shouldn''t happen.''