Sign in to follow this  
DT

Rob Butler

Now i dont post on here a lot just tend to read other peoples news and views on norwich city, but i just wanted to say something on Rob Butler.

Now i know a lot wont agree with me but i like him and think he is a bit of a breath of fresh air to radio norfolks coverage of norwich city ! He does have a bit of a rant at times puts his point of view across like all us fans do and shows passion all of which i like. So to sum up think he is doing a great job and long may it continue !

Lol

Just wanted to put my view across mate as it seemed there was a anti rob vibe going around and surely im not the only one who likes the bloke ?

[quote user="courtyboy89"]Hi Rob, hope you''re well.[/quote]lol we may as well just pick any idiot to air their views live on our local radio stations then, as long as they show passion?If Radio Norfolk are ever looking for a replacement for Rob then there are many candidates on this very messageboard who are more than capable of taking over the reins and spouting nonsensical drivel about what has happened at Carrow Road most weekends.What do others think? Which posters on here would you most like to see to see talking drivel about the match and trading insults with fellow City fans on Radio Norfolk in the absence of discombobulated Rob?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I keep seeing his name on here.

Who is he?

[/quote]Speaking of which, here is a poster who would be well up there on my list of potential Radio Norfolk presenters.

[quote user="The Gruffalo"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Who is he?

[/quote]

Speaking of which, here is a poster who would be well up there on my list of potential Radio Norfolk presenters.
[/quote]

So that''s what he is!

Who did he used to play for?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Gruffalo"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Who is he?

[/quote]Speaking of which, here is a poster who would be well up there on my list of potential Radio Norfolk presenters.[/quote]

So that''s what he is!

[/quote]Nobody that I am aware of. I shouldn''t even think that he was good enough for his school team?

[quote user="The Gruffalo"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Gruffalo"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Who is he?

[/quote]

Speaking of which, here is a poster who would be well up there on my list of potential Radio Norfolk presenters.
[/quote]

So that''s what he is!

[/quote]

Nobody that I am aware of. I shouldn''t even think that he was good enough for his school team?
[/quote]

So he''s "the new" Neil Adams?

Neil played for Stoke, Everton, Norwich and Oldham. And was capped for England at U21 level. "Bus out" Butler was last pick at school?

Sounds like a fair swap[:S]

I have to say that Radio Norfolk''s hithertoo excellent NCFC coverage has dipped with Rob Butler''s ascent to anchoring The Scrimmage, the Friday teatime programme and Canary Call. Firstly I cringe with his all too matey on-air relationship with the ex-pro guests and secondly he gives the impression that he is the single most important person on the radio at any given point and by that I mean the continual interruption of the ex-pro guests and the Canary callers to pedal and then reinforce his own views. All three programmes used to be essential listening for City supporters. The Scrimmage with Chris Goreham at the helm was good fun but plummeted with a number of guest presenters and now Rob Butler and Canary Call was excellent with Neil Adams in the chair however with Rob Butler, in the mistaken belief that the programme is a vehicle for his views, has spoiled it for most City supporters I know. Less from Mr Butler may be more.   

[quote user="The Gruffalo"][quote user="courtyboy89"]Hi Rob, hope you''re well.
[/quote]

lol we may as well just pick any idiot to air their views live on our local radio stations then, as long as they show passion?

If Radio Norfolk are ever looking for a replacement for Rob then there are many candidates on this very messageboard who are more than capable of taking over the reins and spouting nonsensical drivel about what has happened at Carrow Road most weekends.

What do others think? Which posters on here would you most like to see to see talking drivel about the match and trading insults with fellow City fans on Radio Norfolk in the absence of discombobulated Rob?
[/quote]

Sounds like you''re applying for the job.

I guess a lot of people on here don''t share my view was kinda hoping a few would come out of the wood work and kinda agree with me but never mind im always a little strange. I just don''t see what everyone''s problem is I know the guy has no real footballing background but then neither do most of us but yet we still all have an opinion on our beloved football club. The only differences is he has a platform to share his with thousands we don''t but surly we would wanna share that view as passionately as he does if we were in his shoes ?

I agree with you DT. Unfortunately many of here seem to dislike him based purely on the fact he is a fan and not an ex player. i can only assume there is an element of jealousy there as i am sure many on here would love the opportunity to air their views on Norwich City each week.

The whole point of the presenter/fan and ex player double act is presumably to add a bit of variety. I don''t really understand why some on here only seem to respect an opinion if its uttered by some ex Norwich player. Some (Eadie, Greg Downes, Fleming etc) are very good but others don''t bring a lot to the party and Adams himself was (until Roeder p**sed him off and he became pleasingly bitter) pretty mundane a lot of the time. 

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

I agree with you DT. Unfortunately many of here seem to dislike him based purely on the fact he is a fan and not an ex player. i can only assume there is an element of jealousy there as i am sure many on here would love the opportunity to air their views on Norwich City each week.

The whole point of the presenter/fan and ex player double act is presumably to add a bit of variety. I don''t really understand why some on here only seem to respect an opinion if its uttered by some ex Norwich player. Some (Eadie, Greg Downes, Fleming etc) are very good but others don''t bring a lot to the party and Adams himself was (until Roeder p**sed him off and he became pleasingly bitter) pretty mundane a lot of the time. 

[/quote]Cheers for the reply Jim good to see im not the only one who has this view, think you maybe right about the jealousy thing and some good points there about ex players !

I don’t see the fact that Rob

Butler has no background in professional football as a negative. On the

contrary I think it makes a nice change. I think there are many journalists and

other media people out there you will often be able to deliver a more coherent

and interesting analysis of what has gone on. Rather than hearing the same old

tired clichés. But by the same token having an ex player will also give any

show a greater air of legitimacy, so a balance needs to be struck. So the

current supporter and ex player set up is a good idea for the show.

I think it is also a massive

positive that he has no real connections with the club. He can give an

uncensored opinion and encourage debate. Something which Neil Adams was always

understandably guarded about doing due to his personal and professional

relationship with the club. However what I dislike about Butler is that he has

gone too far with the idea and seems to shout down any supporter who has a

different opinion to his. He also seems to dominate the show often interrupting

the studio guest when they are trying to get their point across. The topic of

debate will also on far too many occasions become about him rather than the

game or whatever aspect of Norwich City people want to discuss.

Butler not being an ex pro is not the reason people don''t like him. It''s got more to do with him being a loud mouthed, rude, self important, controversy stirring, ill informed bell end.

To be honest I don''t think it makes any difference whether he has played the game at any level. And thinking about it they have other people on to be "experts". The main reason I asked was because I don''t know anything about him. So if he doesn''t have a football background is he a jouro perhaps?

A sports radio presenter who hosts a call in debate show, trying to stir up debate? Heavens no.Do any of you listen to TalkSport? The presenters disagree with each other constantly for the sake of debate.Seems like some on here can''t handle someone with an opinion. As another poster said, Neil Adams was lamented for constantly sitting on the fence, literally giving both sides of the argument and never making up his mind. Of course, Butler can improve, he''s new to it. But he has his opinions and he causes debate to the extent it''s even being discussed on here.So well done you bed-wetting sissy''s, you''ve made him a success.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Journo[:$]

[/quote]I have this weird temptation to buy Wine Gums for the first time in ages. Thanks alot, Nutty!

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Journo[:$]

[/quote]

I have this weird temptation to buy Wine Gums for the first time in ages. Thanks alot, Nutty!
[/quote]

You''re welcome Hoggy. Hope you enjoy them[Y]

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Butler not being an ex pro is not the reason people don''t like him. It''s got more to do with him being a loud mouthed, rude, self important, controversy stirring, ill informed bell end.[/quote]Sounds like you''re describing 1 or 2 posters on here.

[quote user="drurys testamonials mark 15"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Butler not being an ex pro is not the reason people don''t like him. It''s got more to do with him being a loud mouthed, rude, self important, controversy stirring, ill informed bell end.[/quote]

Sounds like you''re describing 1 or 2 posters on here.
[/quote]

The Gruffalo has already been there Mark. And then he tried to get a reaction from me. Probably best to have an opinion about Butler before you try to score points off other posters.

What do you make of him?

When are you 16 BTW?

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Butler not being an ex pro is not the reason people don''t like him. It''s got more to do with him being a loud mouthed, rude, self important, controversy stirring, ill informed bell end.[/quote]I agree with you, and yet I still prefer him to Rob Chandler.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Butler not being an ex pro is not the reason people don''t like him. It''s got more to do with him being a loud mouthed, rude, self important, controversy stirring, ill informed bell end.[/quote]

I agree with you, and yet I still prefer him to Rob Chandler.
[/quote]

But I''d enjoy a "phone in" with Butler and Chandler[Y]

I think Rob Butler does a decent job on his programs. I rarely listen to Canary Call these days because I have either been at the games or have been watching them in the pub, but I often catch The Scrimmage and the Friday evening program.Much rather listen to Butler than some talking head like Matt Gudgeon for example.Give the guy a break FFS!

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="The Gruffalo"][quote user="courtyboy89"]Hi Rob, hope you''re well.[/quote]lol we may as well just pick any idiot to air their views live on our local radio stations then, as long as they show passion?If Radio Norfolk are ever looking for a replacement for Rob then there are many candidates on this very messageboard who are more than capable of taking over the reins and spouting nonsensical drivel about what has happened at Carrow Road most weekends.What do others think? Which posters on here would you most like to see to see talking drivel about the match and trading insults with fellow City fans on Radio Norfolk in the absence of discombobulated Rob?[/quote]

[/quote]No opinion then? Just more views that would fit in well with a job in the media?

[quote user="The DicTaTor"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="The Gruffalo"][quote user="courtyboy89"]Hi Rob, hope you''re well.
[/quote]

lol we may as well just pick any idiot to air their views live on our local radio stations then, as long as they show passion?

If Radio Norfolk are ever looking for a replacement for Rob then there are many candidates on this very messageboard who are more than capable of taking over the reins and spouting nonsensical drivel about what has happened at Carrow Road most weekends.

What do others think? Which posters on here would you most like to see to see talking drivel about the match and trading insults with fellow City fans on Radio Norfolk in the absence of discombobulated Rob?
[/quote]

[/quote]

No opinion then? Just more views that would fit in well with a job in the media?
[/quote]

I have opinions on things that matter. Canary Call is an insignificant sideshow that allows those who "watch" the game on the radio a few moments in a rather dim spotlight.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Butler not being an ex pro is not the reason people don''t like him. It''s got more to do with him being a loud mouthed, rude, self important, controversy stirring, ill informed bell end.[/quote]Looks like we''ve got another secret admirer Rob.......[;)]

I agree with the OP and Hogstar. Whilst Butler will need time to get into the role on Canary Call, I think this change of format has been made to try and cut down on some of the numpies who used to call in and get some intelligent call-ins by introducing a topic of debate.

There is no doubt that the caller contributions have improved although there will always be the odd ball.

I will always remember Adams for his co- commentating with Goreham during League One and the Championship. His hosting of Canary Call, however, was very very bland and encouraged said numpties to call in.

If Butler gets the chance to do the job next year I am sure he will smooth out the rough edges.