Sign in to follow this  
steakbearnaise

Some advice please

You could park in Trowse and then drive the lanes to the A47 A140 roundabout. Gets you there in about 5 mins.You thought any more about where you wanna eat?I know Riverside got knocked but Arturio''s is good if you want Mediterranean and to chat over a few beers. Some good places on Tombland too.

There have been loads of really helpful responses, so I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who took the time to reply - there are one or two things I will respond to individually, but all the advice is much appreciated.If I can stretch people''s patience a little longer, I have one further question (apologies if this is obvious to everyone) - driving down south after the game on a Sunday evening - bearing in mind match traffic around Norwich and that I''ll need to hit the M25 and go around to the M20 whatever I do - is it better to take the A140/A14/A12 or the A11/M11? Google maps says A140 etc edges it by a couple of minutes. But that doesn''t take into account traffic, and it does mean going close to Ipswich, of course...Thanks again

A11/M11 is better - faster, more lanes, less speed restrictions.  The A140 is largely 50 MPH with annoying 30 and 40 MPH patches plus if you get behind a truck, there''s no overtaking.[Y]

A11/M11 quicker in my experience. You will probably hit a bit of traffic round elvedon/Thetford but other than that should be fine and all dual carriageway/motorway.

[quote user="drurys testamonials mark 15"]You could park in Trowse and then drive the lanes to the A47 A140 roundabout. Gets you there in about 5 mins.You thought any more about where you wanna eat?I know Riverside

got knocked but Arturio''s is good if you want Mediterranean and to chat

over a few beers. Some good places on Tombland too.[/quote]Like this, you mean?So that''s about a mile''s walk from the ground and not much further than county hall. And I''m guessing if I leave the car there earlier on the Sunday finding a spot shouldn''t be too much trouble. Presume there are no parking restrictions in Trowse on a Sunday?Re dinner - consensus on here seems to be Tombland and around, so I think we''re going to try that.Cheers

[quote user="Shankslad"]

Have to take issue about the beer - you don''t have beer in Belgium and Germany.   You have lager!   A horrible continental concoction of fizzy chemicals and froth.   You need to take opportunity to drink some good ole English Ale and in nect to no time you''ll be morris dancing all over the town!!!

[/quote]Now this is just provocation! I have to defend poor Belgium which, although actually a very nice place to live, has so little going for it in terms of international reputation apart from beer (OK, there''s chocolate, Tintin, Poirot, Eddy Merckx and a little pissing boy, but that still doesn''t amount to much).  If you can get hold of it, have a few bottles of Orval and tell me that Belgium doesn''t do beer properly. If you can still stand after a few bottles of Orval, of course...

As the game is on a Sunday, there''s no need to pay for parking as parking restrictions are relaxed.

I would (and did on Sunday just gone) park on one of the streets just off Hall Road and very close to the Kings Arm''s pub which is a great place pre game.

Getting away from there is quite easy too - a bit of traffic, but nothing like the kind of thing you have to deal with getting out of County Hall.

Route-wise - A11/M11 everytime.

[quote user="steakbearnaise"][quote user="Shankslad"]

Have to take issue about the beer - you don''t have beer in Belgium and Germany.   You have lager!   A horrible continental concoction of fizzy chemicals and froth.   You need to take opportunity to drink some good ole English Ale and in nect to no time you''ll be morris dancing all over the town!!!

[/quote]

Now this is just provocation! I have to defend poor Belgium which, although actually a very nice place to live, has so little going for it in terms of international reputation apart from beer (OK, there''s chocolate, Tintin, Poirot, Eddy Merckx and a little pissing boy, but that still doesn''t amount to much).  If you can get hold of it, have a few bottles of Orval and tell me that Belgium doesn''t do beer properly. If you can still stand after a few bottles of Orval, of course...

[/quote]

I have just looked at the on line tickets and noticed Wigan have not taken Block G so thats about 300 wigan fans coming but more for our fans, but Blk G is almost sold out

[quote user="Shankslad"]

Car parking - I would use county hall, very handy for A47/A11 cost £6.

Eating - Loads of good suggestions made on here so take your pick.   Tombland would be my preference.   You could consider a visit to Yellows just to keep it in the family!

[/quote]

That is just total garbage - lager, ale, mild, wheat and stout are all types of beer. You seem to be confusing Real Ale with beer.

A140 way is always good if its late at night, but given the time you''re going I''d definitely go A11, to me it makes no odds about the Dartford Crossing because you''ve got to do it anyway and you just have to cross your fingers you get through ok!

[quote user="Canary Man of Kent"][quote user="Shankslad"]

Car parking - I would use county hall, very handy for A47/A11 cost £6.

Eating - Loads of good suggestions made on here so take your pick.   Tombland would be my preference.   You could consider a visit to Yellows just to keep it in the family!

[/quote]

That is just total garbage - lager, ale, mild, wheat and stout are all types of beer. You seem to be confusing Real Ale with beer.

[/quote]

Shankslad normally talks sense but not on this occasion.Belgian and German beers are some of the best in the world.

I find ale snobbery most irritating - I like ale, I like stout and some of the European lagers I''ve had are some of the best beers I''ve ever enjoyed, I''m not a big wheat beer fan but I know a lot of people are. To say all lager is not beer is not only factually incorrect but also incredibly narrow minded - yes, granted, there''s a lot of fizzy piss out there drunk by teenagers - but there''s some really great lager too.

[quote user="Canary Man of Kent"]I find ale snobbery most irritating - I like ale, I like stout and some of the European lagers I''ve had are some of the best beers I''ve ever enjoyed, I''m not a big wheat beer fan but I know a lot of people are. To say all lager is not beer is not only factually incorrect but also incredibly narrow minded - yes, granted, there''s a lot of fizzy piss out there drunk by teenagers - but there''s some really great lager too.[/quote]Agree with all this........I just like getting p*ssed.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Canary Man of Kent"]I find ale snobbery most irritating - I like ale, I like stout and some of the European lagers I''ve had are some of the best beers I''ve ever enjoyed, I''m not a big wheat beer fan but I know a lot of people are. To say all lager is not beer is not only factually incorrect but also incredibly narrow minded - yes, granted, there''s a lot of fizzy piss out there drunk by teenagers - but there''s some really great lager too.[/quote]

Agree with all this........I just like getting p*ssed.
[/quote]

Completely agree with all of this[:D]

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Canary Man of Kent"]I find ale snobbery most irritating - I like ale, I like stout and some of the European lagers I''ve had are some of the best beers I''ve ever enjoyed, I''m not a big wheat beer fan but I know a lot of people are. To say all lager is not beer is not only factually incorrect but also incredibly narrow minded - yes, granted, there''s a lot of fizzy piss out there drunk by teenagers - but there''s some really great lager too.[/quote]Agree with all this........I just like getting p*ssed.[/quote]

Completely agree with all of this[:D]

[/quote]

High Treason I tell you!   Where''s your patriotism eh? LAGER indeed.......... yeuk, pewk, spit, spit!!   Beer is beer and bier is Lager!

Now this is NOT real ale snobbery, No Sir!   Far from it - it can''t be.   Y''see I don''t even drink!!! I''m 100% teetotal and haven''t touched booze of any kind in over 17 years.   Why Not you ask - well I''ve seen what it does to you lot for starters!!!!!!!!!!

If I''m going to appoint myself as an unofficial tourist information officer for Norwich then I''m going to promote home grown products   Like good ole ale, kebabs and curry..

Now, lets talk about Mustard - none of that continental crap for me - it has to be good ole Colemans English and NOTHING less!!!

If you''d like to sample some excellent local brewed ale/beer then try The Plough on St Benedict''s Street. It''s run by The Grain Brewery (www.grainbrewery.co.uk), and the beer is fantastic. I''d highly recommend the India Pale Ale!

Holiday Inn is a good choice or the Premier Inn (Nelson). Nelson is right by the station and will let you park for the match. If you use the Holiday Inn move your car and park in side streets off Thorpe Road (Residents parking but ok on Sunday). The further from the ground you park  the quicker you will get away.

If you want the complete "Norwich City Experience" either Delias Restaurant or Yellows for eating. Both are superb. Delias will cost you around £40 a head  and Yellows closer to £20. Of course drinking loads will push these prices up. You can look at both menus online.

Have a great trip