Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Will there be extra pressure on tomorrow's game?

If the worst happens that will be 3 defeats in a row, and if the really worst happens we could plummet 5 places to 13th.

I think that this must be the most pressure we have had on us for a while. It will be great to see the lads put in a positive performance to ensure that we keep in the top half of the table.

The pressure will be on to maintain the drive to ''keep'' the prize money we look likely to win come May. If we win we could be a couple points off 7th place.Given how close it is in the middle pack a few points slipped over the remaining games could see us down a few places and down £5/4m.That will make an awful difference to the transfer budget this summer.

I agree with you, i think there is an extra bit of pressure because we are playing for a potentially 4-5M larger transfer kitty, as City1st mentions, i am sure the aim is to finish 8th now, and why shouldn''t it be. A loss tomorrow against one of our mid table rivals would not be ideal and could set us back a few positions. However, the team can take heart in the fact their last performance was so strong and hopefully if they carry that into the Stoke match they will get something. i think the games against Wigan and Wolves are more important still, keep those teams struggling for points.

No I dont think so.  Stoke away is always going to be a tough game regardless of the last game or two, Norwich will want to win just the same as every Premier game they go into.  If we were down the bottom struggling for points then maybe, but were not and if anything we might be able to play with a bit more freedom?

i don''t expect it to be an easy game, but for the last two seasons we have played and beaten many teams who played the stoke way, maybe with less skill admitedly, but most of our players are familiar with opponents playing in this manner and i honestly don''t think we will lose.[ip]

"i think the games against Wigan and Wolves are more important still"For what reason ?There is now NO way we are going to be involved in any relegation battle. At the halfway stage you can see where a team will roughly finish. The bottom five are actually slipping further back from there estimated finish point, whereas we have been increasing the gap between us and the relegation places. Currently the bottom five are targeted to finish at around 30/31 points.It should be remembered when the 40 point mark is trotted out that -The bottom 5 are curently on 22 ,21 ,21, 20, 20, this time last season the bottom 5 were on 29, 27, 27, 25 ,24More important to us is that were we to have lost one extra game ie 3 points less, we would be looking at a £4m loss of prize money (were things to end up that way). And nearly £5m if the game had been against Swansea. It is that tight. However if the bonuses from last season are anything to go by then the players will have every (financial) incentive to keep up the momentum rather than concern themselves with quirky statistics.  7th spot has to be our target.

I know we football fans are eternal pessimists, and are always looking for something new to worry about, but what this thread highlights is that we are moving into a new phase of this season.

Particularly after having exitted the FA Cup, we are  left with just the league to focus on. I guess the feeling is pretty widespread that we are to all intents and purposes safe now, and I''m sure that, even subliminally, that view may be held by the players. There is a danger that as March/April wears on there could be a temptation to get the deckchairs out, and the season will fizzle out as something of a damp squib. I''m pretty sure that, in PL we have boss who will recognise any signs of that and act accordingly. Stoke, therefiore, is a good starting point to this phase of the season, because its firstly a game that we are more than capable of getting something from, and if there is any slipping of standards, they will embarass us.

I hope it does not come to that.  I think we have a very good chance of finishing well in the top half, and that should be our next aim.