Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Tony Pulis Summed up the Premier League for anyone not in top 6/7!

He (Stoke) like the managers from Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn, QPR, Wolves, Villa, Swansea, Fulham, Sunderland, Everton, Norwich & West Brom are all aiming for the 40 points mark each season. Only 7 (YES SEVEN) team are aiming for Euro places or higher. Just shows what a poor league this acutally is. We will never win the league when Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool can spend over £100m in a single transfer window. Stoke City spent £20m in the summer on Crouch and Palacios and YET are still only aiming to Avoid Releation. Its a real Pointless league for anyone not in the top 6/7. This is also where the money goes at the end of the season so they get better and pinch the best players from the rest on the cheap as the players want the bigger wage!

Stoke got into Europe this season, by going for it in the cup - don''t get me started on going for the cup!! They lost to Man City but becasue Man City finished in the top 4 Stoke got in. Will they ever get in by finishing in the top 6...almost certainly not.

Has it really taken this long for you to realise this? The PL has been this way for 15 years now, Hence why only 4 teams have ever won it.

You have this slightly wrong as you imply that Stoke were so keen to be in Europe: if that is so, why did they rest players a la Lambo all through the tourney? Fact is, even sides as established as Stoke know that nothing must come in the way of staying up.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Its a real Pointless league for anyone not in the top 6/7. [/quote]Maybe so, but I''m glad we''re in it & I''m happy for us to stay in it

Banana, as others have said it been that way for about 20 years! If we are being honest Norwich back in the 1992/3 were probably the last club without any real financial muscle to challenge for the Premiership title. But there are plenty of incentives to stay in this league. Its exciting, were playing against quality opposition and if we play our cards right the longer we stay in this league the healthier our balance sheet will become.

I''m just so pleased to be in this league. Every game is competitive whether we play top or struggling teams.

I suppose it''s sour grapes but I am equally pleased that we don''t play the Stoke way.

They remind me of Wimbledon and for the first few years they seemed to get all the 50/50 decisions. Then it seemed as if the refs ''wised up'', they didn''t get those decisions and they disappeared without trace. Here''s to the time when Stoke travel that road.

Being in the Prem is all about the money, nothing else for anyone outside the top 6. We shouldn''t want to be in the prem just for a healthy bank balance thats business not football.

The 2 are totally interlinked whether you like it or not Banana. If the legacy of our stay in the Premiership (however long it is) is a sustainable football club, with a 30,000 seater stadium and financial stability meaning fans can be safe in the knowledge we can continue to enjoy this fantastic club for years and years to come unlike a lot of clubs which are going to wall I will be very happy.

If teams start to live within their means. Income is more than Outcome then it will be ok, but when Man Utd have £500m debt and dont get wound up. Look at pompey on the brink and rightly so! Any teams in debt should have to get out of debt before they can be in the league again. This will encourage youth systems and probably help your national team.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]If teams start to live within their means. Income is more than Outcome then it will be ok, but when Man Utd have £500m debt and dont get wound up. Look at pompey on the brink and rightly so! Any teams in debt should have to get out of debt before they can be in the league again. This will encourage youth systems and probably help your national team.[/quote]That would make pretty much all football non-league, wouldn''t it?  Try googling "football clubs in debt" and you might be surprised how many run at a regular operational loss and are bailed out by loans, bankers or wealthy owners.  At some point, the house of cards needs to come down.

[quote user="Mr. Magnolia"][quote user="I am a Banana"]If teams start to live within their means. Income is more than Outcome then it will be ok, but when Man Utd have £500m debt and dont get wound up. Look at pompey on the brink and rightly so! Any teams in debt should have to get out of debt before they can be in the league again. This will encourage youth systems and probably help your national team.[/quote]

That would make pretty much all football non-league, wouldn''t it?  Try googling "football clubs in debt" and you might be surprised how many run at a regular operational loss and are bailed out by loans, bankers or wealthy owners.  At some point, the house of cards needs to come down.
[/quote]

Where did it all start,? you have to go back further than 20 years, its just when Sky took a strangle hold on live sport, not just Football, people chose to watch their team on Tele rather than pay to get in and perhaps get soaking, this came with bonuses for the clubs, then came the Imports, making it hard for home grown players to play high level football, and its the top 7 clubs that have saturated their clubs with the likes of  megga bucks players from around the world and buying thier position in the league, Rather like F1, you know who the top finishers are going to be befor the season starts, making it all very boring, I think the top 7 should leave the premier league, and join the euro super league,   

"are all aiming for the 40 points mark each season"Absurd nonsense.  If there were the case then you would see teams simply stop playing after reaching that idiotic number. Idiotic in the sense that almost every other season 17th place has been achieved at a much lower number of points. What is really focussing managers and clubs minds is the prize money. Were today to have been the last game of the season the defeat would have cost us over one and a half million pounds - far in excess of what Stoke will have earned in Europe this season and probbly as much as they did losing in the FA Cup final." Any teams in debt should have to get out of debt before they can be in the league again"How on earth would we have built the new South Stand ? It is not the level of debt a club is carrying, it is whether it can meet the payments on it''s debts.Virtually everyone else on this thread has stated that we have all known this about the Premier League for years  - but while we all wish it was not so, I doubt any City fan would want us to be anywhere else. I doubt any of the City fans at Carrow Road last Sunday would wanted to be anywhere else either. Gigg''s goal was a killer, in a game that we showed how money is not all - and how in the real sense football is still alive. We gave them as good as we got, and some would argue better than we got. We got caught out at the end, but had not the same thing happened for us against Burnley, Millwall, Reading and, oh somemorably, Derby then we would probably not have been watching Man utd at Carrow Road. Swings and roundabouts.This season will have us see some of the finest players in the world and some of the biggest clubs in the world at Carrow Road and not as us being makeweights. So relax and enjoy whats on offer and recognise that if things do change then we are in the right place to take advantage of it, just as we were 20 years ago.

......... and ban the stupid loan system which allows clubs to have 40,50,60 players on their books even though they have to name a squad of 25. The top clubs can buy all the promising youngsters and can buy all the top players giving other clubs little hope.

As messed up as it sounds, the premier league of 5 years ago was a better league for the masses because of the quality gap of the top 4. This mean''t there was a real chance for anyone else to get into the UEFA Cup places (as it was then).

The current premier league of the top 7 does of course have it''s advantages, a more competitive top of the league and more inter top team games, now to the point there is a good top 7 team game every week.

Personally I agree with the OP that cup places for Europe are ridiculous. Winning the cup is what getting far in the cup is about, not Europe. It should return that the top 7 teams get places in Europe, it would definitely make it more competitive, with teams like Stoke and hopefully us next season battling for that last 1 or 2 places.

That said Newcastle have shown us how to go about sustainable living in the premier league, they turned a profit last year and now are pushing for a Champions League place.

I agree wholeheartedly with you about the cups Zak. As a supporter the days you dream about are the big days out where you had a chance to make your mark and win something. Unfortunately I think particularly with the League Cup, there was no choice but to offer a European spot by the end as it was about the only incentive that would persuade some clubs to take the competition at least vaguely seriously.

The last thing any of us would want is the big six splitting off from the rest. The neutral likes to watch good football and for the most part that is what they give them, I can''t imagine a lot of non-aligned overseas viewers tuning in for a Stoke vs Wigan game.