Sign in to follow this  
AJ

Howson Views?

he looks too much like Hoolahan!

Having them both on the pitch, plus Elliot and Ryan Bennett, Barnett, Russell and Chris Martin, Rudd and Ruddy.

We literally are a commentators hell aren''t we?!

Thought Howson looked decent in the second half when he came more into the game, good to see the lad get some game time and hopefully he can have an effect on our run-in. Some neat little touches and passes between Howson, Surman and Johnson at times worked really well to get past a stubborn Stoke midfield. Shame it was too little too late, as we were worth a point today.

What did everyone else think of the small glimpses we got of his ability today?

Glad he got match time, we are safe in the league so wasn''t really an issue about not being able to risk him. More games he gets under his the belt and the sooner, the better.

But... He was crap today I thought and was no Hoolahan.

However that doesn''t mean he won''t be and may be much better, it''ll just take time.

Today really needed Fox and Hoolahan on the pitch from the start so we could actually play football.

Also, that is not to say Howson was worse than a few others, I thought Pilkington and Johnson had bad days today too. We just got suckered into playing their way instead of our way.

It was a performance you would expect from someone who hasn''t played much

football in the last couple of months. I don’t think you can make a direct

comparison between Wesley and Howson because although both prefer to play

behind the striker(s), they will attempt to do it in a different way. Wes will

look to commit defenders and create opportunities through his trickery and

skill. Howson’s game is more direct, in that he will attempt to burst beyond

the strikers and get goals. This may sound overly dramatic but the signs are quite worrying for Wesley.

Howson has managed to walk straight into after just the 1 reserve fixture and

only a couple weeks of training. Even Ryan Bennett our record signing hasn’t immediately

slotted into the side.

Difficult game for him to make his debut on. He wasn''t brilliant but there were good signs, after watching on a stream I noticed that he was tracking back well, he kept with runners and seemed to try and get stuck in. I don''t think Hoolahan would have done any better personally because at least Howson can compete physically more then Wes. We look so much in better in midfield when Fox is playing I''ve noticed. Problem is when Fox isn''t playing Crofts or Johnson haven''t got creativity or passing skill to start attack, we then resort to fullbacks for them to smash it up the pitch.

Back to Howson, it''s a difficult game to judge him when the game is so direct.

We know Lambert buys Captains, Howson strikes me like PL may have him pencilled in as our future captain , why? Does he resemble a certain Paul Lambert of some years gone by?

Ring rusty.....but he will soon be punching at Premiership pace and power before the end of the season......Personally, wouldn''t make him a starter at the mo''.....but would bring him on as an ''impact sub'' till his engine is ''run in''.......

Wes puts in a shift when we don''t have the ball harrying the opposition''s defence and midfield but I can''t remember the last time he got a decent tackle in. Howson is more of a proper midfielder in this respect.

I may be wrong, but I''m thinking the OP is saying Wes and Howson look like each other, not play like each other?! He isn''t comparing them playing style wise!

I thought he was a bit hit ''n'' miss Yesterday. A few decent passes and tackles, but was a bit rash in a few challenges, and desevered his yellow card for a lunge. I''m sure he''ll get a lot better the more he plays, and when we actually play our way, not lumping it, bypassing the midfield like we did Yesterday

[quote user="ryan1992"]I may be wrong, but I''m thinking the OP is saying Wes and Howson look like each other, not play like each other?! He isn''t comparing them playing style wise! I thought he was a bit hit ''n'' miss Yesterday. A few decent passes and tackles, but was a bit rash in a few challenges, and desevered his yellow card for a lunge. I''m sure he''ll get a lot better the more he plays, and when we actually play our way, not lumping it, bypassing the midfield like we did Yesterday[/quote]

But no matter who he looks like, yesterday was not in my opinion the match for his debut, Not played since December, one reserve match, Stoke away, no sorry Wigan would have been the match I would have given him a run out on 60 min, but what do I know about Football 

In Hindsight,The Britania probably wasnt the best place to make his Premier League, coming back from an injury and with just one full 90 minutes under his belt.Lambert must think alot of him though.

I thought that Howson shows signs of fitting in with the  midfield quite well, some neat touches and passes. However, I thought the game passed the midfield alot of the times, and it was really hard for any of the CM''s to have a good game.

I wouldn''t worry about the fact he was blooded yesterday too much.  He''ll be glad he got 75 minutes against the most physical side in the division .  Given the other thread discussion on here I''ll even risk saying that the main thing Lambert wanted out of yesterday''s game was to get Howson''s head right after such a long time out of football, ready for the final run in.  With more space in future games I can see him having a big influence on things and I''m looking forward to it.  Like others I think he has definitely been bought to replace Hoolahan.  Shame but that''s football - but at least we''ll have too attacking midfield options in future and Wes can still be an impact player from the bench. 

[quote user="shefcanary"]

I wouldn''t worry about the fact he was blooded yesterday too much.  He''ll be glad he got 75 minutes against the most physical side in the division .  Given the other thread discussion on here I''ll even risk saying that the main thing Lambert wanted out of yesterday''s game was to get Howson''s head right after such a long time out of football, ready for the final run in.  With more space in future games I can see him having a big influence on things and I''m looking forward to it.  Like others I think he has definitely been bought to replace Hoolahan.  Shame but that''s football - but at least we''ll have too attacking midfield options in future and Wes can still be an impact player from the bench. 

[/quote]I could be wrong but didnt he play a holding midfield role or do you think Lambert would rather play him further forward ie: in a Hoolahan role?

[quote user="Ernie"][quote user="shefcanary"]

[/quote]I could be wrong but didnt he play a holding midfield role or do you think Lambert would rather play him further forward ie: in a Hoolahan role?[/quote]

From what I have read about his time at Leeds his best position was attacking midfielder.  Yesterday, he was playing a holding midfield role alongside Johnson.  In future would expect him to either line up alongside Fox in a 4-4-2 or at the tip of a diamond behind the strikers.  But sure Lambert knows betther than me - could even end up as that holding midfielder although that would be a surprise.

[quote user="shefcanary"][quote user="Ernie"][quote user="shefcanary"]

[/quote]I could be wrong but didnt he play a holding midfield role or do you think Lambert would rather play him further forward ie: in a Hoolahan role?[/quote]

From what I have read about his time at Leeds his best position was attacking midfielder.  Yesterday, he was playing a holding midfield role alongside Johnson.  In future would expect him to either line up alongside Fox in a 4-4-2 or at the tip of a diamond behind the strikers.  But sure Lambert knows betther than me - could even end up as that holding midfielder although that would be a surprise.

[/quote]Lets all hope he turns out to be another quality signing by Lambert, personally I havent seen him play yet and he will need serveral games at least to get upto speed but no doubt has been brought for the future.  Although I love Hoolahan as a player he can get caught out in dangerous positions and his decision making re: Bolton can be off which as many suspect is why we have brought Howson, perhaps a younger better variation on playing that role.  That said Hoolahan on his day can of course be unplayable, its that consitency he can lack, which is why of course players that do have it cost the big bucks.

I thought he did ok in the circumstances. i.e. a long ball game, first match for months, not given license to attack a lot.The central midfield was often bypassed by both both teams with long balls over the top or playing down the flanks. So not really a game to show your stuff.Be interesting to see him deployed in the Hoolahan role at the tip of the diamond.

I think he needs to get himself a bloody good haircut and do away with the 1970''s comb over type fringe and long sides. He looks like a contestant on Bullseye with Jim Bowen.

to put it simply this was not a game for him to play football, it was a game for him to get some match time and keep his fitness up. HE WILL be better than hoolahan he showed a few good touches and passes he tackled and HE TRACKED BACK AND DEFENDED something hoolahan doesnt and most certainly didnt do against man utd regarding there last goal when he let ryan giggs go

[quote user="Baracouda"]However, I thought the game passed the midfield alot of the times, and it was really hard for any of the CM''s to have a good game. [/quote]This. Howson did as well as any other of our starting midfielders yesterday, it was very hard for any of them. By far our best midfield performance was Fox for the few minutes he was on, but he had the luxury of space because Stoke didn''t press so much after their goal.