Sign in to follow this  
H4H

Steve Morrison from a Millwall prospective….

I think people are entitled to point out that at the moment Morison is going through a very poor run of form. That is self evident because Lambert at the moment he is effectively 4th choice striker behind Holt, Jackson and Wilbraham. This is a marked contrast from him being our top striker at Christmas. But like you have said it is extremely unfair to make him a scapegoat and it is also very unfair to effectively criticism his professionalism by saying that he isn''t trying.

Hang on a mo! Where is this vitriol against Morison?

Apart from some poor comments on another thread, most contributors to this one have been reasonable. In fact more reasonable than the rubbish slung at Holt when the great man was playing through injury for the cause!

What we ''Pinkuners'' should remember is we are a micro minority of supporters opinions and perhaps get too wound up in our self importance.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Hang on a mo! Where is this vitriol against Morison? Apart from some poor comments on another thread, most contributors to this one have been reasonable. In fact more reasonable than the rubbish slung at Holt when the great man was playing through injury for the cause! What we ''Pinkuners'' should remember is we are a micro minority of supporters opinions and perhaps get too wound up in our self importance.[/quote]

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2682970/ShowPost.aspx

Hardly constructive criticism, is it? I appreciate that this thread has been less vitriolic than that one, but much of what has been written about Morison on here goes way beyond poor form and gets pretty deeply into personal issues, and not in a supportive way, as CC points out above.

Wilbraham is another who has attracted more than his fair share of sniping and I don''t think it''s any coincidence that these two happen to play in Holt''s position.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Hang on a mo! Where is this vitriol against Morison? Apart from some poor comments on another thread, most contributors to this one have been reasonable. In fact more reasonable than the rubbish slung at Holt when the great man was playing through injury for the cause! What we ''Pinkuners'' should remember is we are a micro minority of supporters opinions and perhaps get too wound up in our self importance.[/quote]

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2682970/ShowPost.aspx

Hardly constructive criticism, is it? I appreciate that this thread has been less vitriolic than that one, but much of what has been written about Morison on here goes way beyond poor form and gets pretty deeply into personal issues, and not in a supportive way, as CC points out above.

Wilbraham is another who has attracted more than his fair share of sniping and I don''t think it''s any coincidence that these two happen to play in Holt''s position.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]The argument that he kept Holt out of the team is one that I was not comfortable with. During that short period of time, it was Holt who had to come on as sub to rescue a point or points. [/quote]

This sort of post sums up the real problem people have with Steve Morison quite nicely I feel. Off the top of my head Morison was keeping Holt out of the team (or Paul Lambert preferred a different formation. Take your pick) from Bolton away to Blackburn at home. The week after this Holt had forced himself back into the team away at Villa after scoring in the previous two games after coming on as substitute and we were back to 4-4-2. In the six game run where Morison started up front on his own we won three, drew two and lost one (at Manchester United where our performance desereved much more). Grant Holt ''rescued'' two points in that period (if one player can ever truely rescue a game on his own) by scoring against Liverpool in a match where his introduction as substitute certainly turned the game and against Blackburn where he scored a last minute penalty (Steve Morison also scored in this game which sort of disproves the argument that Grant Holt saved us a point). In the games against Bolton away and Sunderland and Swansea at home Grant Holt came on when we were in the lead. I''m sure he helped keep that lead (although in the Sunderland game at home he was awful) but suggestions that he rescued a point or points are wide of the mark.

And therein lies the problem. A proportion of fans had it in for Steve Morison when he was playing well and the team were winning eleven points out of a possible eighteen. There were plenty of posts on here during this period (and I appreciate that this place is maybe not reflective of the overall NCFC support) demanding that Grant Holt be restored to the starting line up and criticising Morison for his perceived laziness. If he could not win over the fans when he was playing well then what chance does he have when his performances have maybe tailed off a little (although even this is subjective and open to some debate)?

Morison''s only crime (aside from a poor performance against Leicester which he shared with pretty much the whole of the rest of the team) is to have taken the place of Grant Holt for six weeks. Ever since this period he has been a target for some fans who require a ''talisman'' in their team despite the evidence of the last three years showing that Paul Lambert''s side are all about teamwork and collective responsibility. Grant Holt has responded magnificently to his difficult start to the season and with the backing of the fans I''m sure Steve Morison can get through this tricky patch regardless of what is causing it. Yet we don''t want to offer him the same chance do we? As Baltimore''s finest stick up man once said "You come at The King you best not miss".

This "either or" idea about Holt and Morison is a load of old bollox! Interestingly the only people who seem to sense it are the posters who have had issues with Holt.  Both players have made huge contributions this season in their own right and also together. I don''t see any reason why posters who adore Holt (like me[:$] ) should have it in for Morison.

Grant Holt Steve Morison of Norwich celebrates with Grant Holt after scoring their second goal during the Barclays Premier League Match between West Bromwich Albion and Norwich City at The Hawthorns on January 14, 2012 in West Bromwich, England.

Criticism of any player is justified.  Abuse is not justified.   I''ve read through this thread and alot of the posts are quite supportive as well as critical.  Fans like to know why one of their star players is not performing at his best.    I have been critical in the past of  threads that are just abusive.   This one, largely is not and I think that those who are getting on their high horses about it should just appreciate that most of us care about the players and want them to do well.    If - I say if - Steve Morison is having problems on and/or off the field then it affects the players/team performance and our view of him.    

Good luck to Morison - we would all like to see him - and the rest of the players - doing well.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/euro-2012/england/1589/71/exclusive-morison-holt-deserves-england-chance

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

This "either or" idea about Holt and Morison is a load of old bollox! Interestingly the only people who seem to sense it are the posters who have had issues with Holt.  [/quote]

Almost as interesting as the phrase ''issues with Holt''. I make no secret of the fact that I was critical of his performances earlier in the season but why should this mean I have an issue with him? I have been delighted with his form for the majority of the season and have produced posts praising his performance probably as many times as I have been critical. What I did have an issue with is the posters who were critical of Morison when he was playing well as part of a winning side and were using of Holt and his supposed talismanic influence as a stick to beat him with . For me that showed that the whole idea of Grant Holt as talisman had started to tip into the realms of unhealthy obsession. To me it goes against the whole ethos of a Lambert team.

I''ve never suggested that you were one of those posters though. So I wouldn''t get too upset about it [;)]

Spot on posts from Broadstairs, Robin and Cambridge. People must live in a cave if they don''t think Lambert, Morison etc read this board. ''Constructive criticism'' is all well and good - but please don''t hide behind the constructive criticism card when spewing vitriol towards our own. It does nothing to help the players whatsoever.

Best of luck for the rest of the season, Steve - 99% of us are behind you me old mucker.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

This "either or" idea about Holt and Morison is a load of old bollox! Interestingly the only people who seem to sense it are the posters who have had issues with Holt.  [/quote]

Almost as interesting as the phrase ''issues with Holt''. I make no secret of the fact that I was critical of his performances earlier in the season but why should this mean I have an issue with him? I have been delighted with his form for the majority of the season and have produced posts praising his performance probably as many times as I have been critical. What I did have an issue with is the posters who were critical of Morison when he was playing well as part of a winning side and were using of Holt and his supposed talismanic influence as a stick to beat him with .For me that showed  that the whole idea of Grant Holt as talisman had started to tip into the realms of unhealthy obsession. To me it goes against the whole ethos of a Lambert team.

I''ve never suggested that you were one of those posters though. So I wouldn''t get too upset about it [;)]

[/quote]

That''s really the crux of it. Some people seem to think that giving Morison the credit due to him in some way shows a lack of loyalty to Holt. Like you, I''ve been critical of Holt on several occasions but he''s been brilliant over the last few months, but Morison has also had some fantastic spells of form this season. They are both tremendous players who have key roles to play for the club and I''ll back them both to the hilt and would like to think that everyone else will do the same.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Almost as interesting as the phrase ''issues with Holt''. I make no secret of the fact that I was critical of his performances earlier in the season but why should this mean I have an issue with him? I have been delighted with his form for the majority of the season and have produced posts praising his performance probably as many times as I have been critical. What I did have an issue with is the posters who were critical of Morison when he was playing well as part of a winning side and were using of Holt and his supposed talismanic influence as a stick to beat him with . For me that showed that the whole idea of Grant Holt as talisman had started to tip into the realms of unhealthy obsession. To me it goes against the whole ethos of a Lambert team.

[/quote]

Ok Shack and I know you didn''t mean me. But did you know I meant you?  But there is a pattern forming here. I don''t think many people have used Holt as a stick to beat Morison. There may be some but that being the case they wouldn''t be as many as who wrote off Ward before he kicked a ball for us in the Prem and used Whitbread and Ayala as a stick to beat him with. Or those who wanted the on loan Naughton to make way for Russell Martin. Or those who want unknown quantity Jonny Howson to replace Wes. Or Holty to be replaced last season, this season, probably next season too! This board is full of such stuff. Most of it has about as much basis as cluc''n''wiz''s attacks on the cook.

Criticisms of Morison have been related to his performances. His natural body language unfortunately doesn''t help his cause. As with the doc looking awkward Morison can look like he''s lazy. I''ve seen him put in a real shift and then read he was lazy on here. But many criticisms after the Leicester game were spot on. I just wish posters would concentrate on what they see on the pitch rather than what they hear rumoured off it.

But as others have brought it up let me say I''m in full agreement that Morison can never be Grant Holt. Just like the great Ian Crook could never be Martin Peters. Only a few times in a lifetime does the club have a true legend. And Grant Holt is one. When he''s gone we will have many more centre forwards and many may be better players. But I''m betting I never see another one like Holty in my lifetime.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

His reward for all this? Constant villification and innuendo from people who haven''t got a clue as to what''s actually going on behind the scenes, but have read something somewhere or heard something from a friend of a friend and decided it''s true. Players have dips in form. Even the untouchasble Holt looked sluggish and off the pace in the early games, but no-one felt the need to suggest that someone was shagging his wife or that he was having a strop, yet the minute Morison has a bad patch it''s like freaking gossip page on her. Give the bloke a break for Christ''s sake!

[/quote]

Maybe you should best sort out your independent back yard first before villifiying posters on here

[quote user="Alex "]Spot on posts from Broadstairs, Robin and Cambridge. People must live in a cave if they don''t think Lambert, Morison etc read this board. ''Constructive criticism'' is all well and good - but please don''t hide behind the constructive criticism card when spewing vitriol towards our own. It does nothing to help the players whatsoever. Best of luck for the rest of the season, Steve - 99% of us are behind you me old mucker.[/quote]

Quite agree, well said [:)]

[quote user="missing warden"][quote user="Beauseant"]

His reward for all this? Constant villification and innuendo from people who haven''t got a clue as to what''s actually going on behind the scenes, but have read something somewhere or heard something from a friend of a friend and decided it''s true. Players have dips in form. Even the untouchasble Holt looked sluggish and off the pace in the early games, but no-one felt the need to suggest that someone was shagging his wife or that he was having a strop, yet the minute Morison has a bad patch it''s like freaking gossip page on her. Give the bloke a break for Christ''s sake!

[/quote]

Maybe you should best sort out your independent back yard first before villifiying posters on here

[/quote]

Hello missing warden. This  seems a strange post for a "new poster" to make. It''s amazing how many of these "new posters" seem to be able to join in old arguments even on a thread like this about Norwich City footballers. Maybe you could tell me how thst works?

Nutty, this takes me back to something I posted a while ago. It would be very useful and save a lot of argument and trolling if previous ids were shown below the current one. We would all know who everyone else had been.

Indeed Cambridge. However, there are quite a few posters who are forced into new incarnations of themselves because of previous misdemeanours. I think the worst offenders are those that reinvent themselves to attempt to distance themselves from previous stands or statements that they might have made that would now make them look silly and probably more to the point, would be downright embarrassing for them to be associated with.

I''ve far more time for those who adopt the "hide of a rhino" approach...

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"][quote user="missing warden"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="missing warden"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hello missing warden. This  seems a strange post for a "new poster" to make. It''s amazing how many of these "new posters" seem to be able to join in old arguments even on a thread like this about Norwich City footballers. Maybe you could tell me how thst works?

[/quote]Why is it a strange post? I''m not talking about an old argument. It''s going on now and someone will get hurt. The truth will out.[/quote]

Someone will get hurt? Who are you? Either Ronnie Kray or Oprah Winfrey.......maybe a cross between the two....some sort of gangster with big hair!!!

[/quote]

Its probably best if you dont know Duncan, walk on yeah and if anyone asks you''ve not seen or heard anything right, all you need to know is that Daddy Warden knows where you live. *walks away shifty like*

To be fair, not really seen any post claiming these widely known rumors to be fact but mearly acknowledging their existance. Think punk-un posters have generally been quite reserved given just how much in the open domain these rumors are. Im not for one second saying we should all be discussing it here either btw but its funny how people are happy enough to ''gossip'' about how a certain player will lose their job and get replaced but appear so horrified at people acknowledging a rumor already out there. If players read this site and are effected by what 0.0001% of canary fans are saying is it time we stop posting anything about transfer rumours as well because I know I would be upset to hear my boss was trying to get a replacement for me.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Blimey, Morison really does get peoples'' backs up, doesn''t he? I thought Chris Martin got victimised, but he''s a canary hero compared to this bloke. Whereas Chris often failed to deliver on his undoubted promise Moro is second leading scorer, has scored vital late winners at QPR and West Brom in recent weeks, and forged a lone furrow when asked to play as the lone striker.

His reward for all this? Constant villification and innuendo from people who haven''t got a clue as to what''s actually going on behind the scenes, but have read something somewhere or heard something from a friend of a friend and decided it''s true. Players have dips in form. Even the untouchasble Holt looked sluggish and off the pace in the early games, but no-one felt the need to suggest that someone was shagging his wife or that he was having a strop, yet the minute Morison has a bad patch it''s like freaking gossip page on her. Give the bloke a break for Christ''s sake!

[/quote]

Also.. anyone hear the latest rumor about Morison, apparently he is actually a woman!  This has come from a source with connections to the club but its unclear if she just tapes down the female upper body parts or has had the full op.

[quote user="Son Ova Gunn"][quote user="Duncan Edwards"][quote user="missing warden"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="missing warden"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Why is it a strange post? I''m not talking about an old argument. It''s going on now and someone will get hurt. The truth will out.
[/quote]

Someone will get hurt? Who are you? Either Ronnie Kray or Oprah Winfrey.......maybe a cross between the two....some sort of gangster with big hair!!!

[/quote]

Its probably best if you dont know Duncan, walk on yeah and if anyone asks you''ve not seen or heard anything right, all you need to know is that Daddy Warden knows where you live. *walks away shifty like*

[/quote]

I reckon Missing Warden is actually Warden Hodges. I''m sure I''ll be ok because I''ve got my broom and they don''t like it up ''em! But I think, to be on the safe side, I''d better stop the wifes mother using it as a taxi ''til all this blows over.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="missing warden"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]What is so strange, when so many of you lead yourselves wide open to attack? Maybe an idea to focus on the football?You could always join the Wadiyan Army if you want a war. If you are for trouble looking, we have a plenty of da'' trouble to find.Please stand!

[quote user="The DicTaTor"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="missing warden"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What is so strange, when so many of you lead yourselves wide open to attack? Maybe an idea to focus on the football?

You could always join the Wadiyan Army if you want a war. If you are for trouble looking, we have a plenty of da'' trouble to find.

Please stand!
[/quote]

Another fake!

You want to focus on football? There''s plenty of threads doing just that but I don''t see you on any. It doesn''t look much like you want to talk to me about football. Sooooo...

What if I am looking for trouble....

Let''s see what you''ve got....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Hello missing warden. This  seems a strange post for a "new poster" to make. It''s amazing how many of these "new posters" seem to be able to join in old arguments even on a thread like this about Norwich City footballers. Maybe you could tell me how thst works?[/quote]

Missing Warden isn''t a new poster, isn''t that WITS plus I notice you''ve been calling Drury''s Testamonial 15 by the name Mark so assumed that was Smudger ??

Quote (Pricktator):

"What is so strange, when so many of you lead yourselves wide open to attack? Maybe an idea to focus on the football?

You could always join the Wadiyan Army if you want a war. If you are for trouble looking, we have a plenty of da'' trouble to find."

"Attack." What a peculiar perspective from which to view a football forum that is meant for serious debate between fellow supporters.

Incidentally, what''s all this boring Wadiyan army shite? It''s not even remotely funny. Da.

That''s my attack over with for the day  Da Da.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Quote (Pricktator):

"What is so strange, when so many of you lead yourselves wide open to attack? Maybe an idea to focus on the football?

You could always join the Wadiyan Army if you want a war. If you are for trouble looking, we have a plenty of da'' trouble to find."

"Attack." What a peculiar perspective from which to view a football forum that is meant for serious debate between fellow supporters.

Incidentally, what''s all this boring Wadiyan army shite? It''s not even remotely funny. Da.

That''s my attack over with for the day  Da Da.

[/quote][Y]

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Hello missing warden. This  seems a strange post for a "new poster" to make. It''s amazing how many of these "new posters" seem to be able to join in old arguments even on a thread like this about Norwich City footballers. Maybe you could tell me how thst works?[/quote]

Missing Warden isn''t a new poster, isn''t that WITS plus I notice you''ve been calling Drury''s Testamonial 15 by the name Mark so assumed that was Smudger ??

[/quote]

I don''t know who any of these "new" posters are Angel. I''m not clever enough to work all that out and it doesn''t really interest me. I think Duncan nailed the reasons in an earlier post. But for whatever reason they have re-invented themselves, it would only work if they didn''t keep trying to pick fights with existing posters they used to have issues with.

The reason I call DT Mark is because he''s been 15 rather a long time and I wonder when he''ll become 16. I know Smudger and WITs personally. I saw WITs at the football a couple of weeks ago and we said spoke. Why would she want to post to me in disguise on here?

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

The reason I call DT Mark is because he''s been 15 rather a long time and I wonder when he''ll become 16. I know Smudger and WITs personally. I saw WITs at the football a couple of weeks ago and we said spoke. Why would she want to post to me in disguise on here?

[/quote]

I dont know Nutty, I dont have a problem with with either WITS or Smudger myself either, but weren''t they both banned a while ago so presumeably they''ve re-registered under different names, maybe ??

[/quote]

Maybe that is the case Angel. I wonder who is really who?

I wonder if Bluemike and Spainboy are back here loitering somewhere, not heard much from them for a while either..

[/quote]

I should think there''s a lot of posters who have reinvented themselves over the years. I don''t really have a problem with it if they don''t carry on with old grudges in new guises. But wouldn''t it be great if everyone posted honestly.

bluemike and spainboy will be back when their debt-ridden car crash clubs aren''t so far behind us. That may be sometime.......

[quote user="Alex "][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I dont know Nutty, I dont have a problem with with either WITS or Smudger myself either, but weren''t they both banned a while ago so presumeably they''ve re-registered under different names, maybe ??

[/quote] Yep CA, nowt against Smudger - just it''s unbelievably obvious that he has come back on here as ''The Gruffalo'' - and he knows he''s been rumbled too ;)[/quote]

Agree with that Alex[Y]