Sign in to follow this  
H4H

Steve Morrison from a Millwall prospective….

When I asked one of my Millwall supporting clients if Steve Morrison has always been a lazy ****?

He replied ‘Re Morison, he gets lazy when he gets big headed…..believes all the hype!’

Then I asked one of Millwall supporting colleagues what he thought of Morrison?

He replied – ‘I hate the ******* **** hes a ****** lazy ****** **** ****’.

Anyway, I have always been the kind of fan that likes to give a player a chance and whilst they wear the yellow and green then I will support them…. However after Morrison’s performance against Leicester I struggled to see how he can fit into the Lambert regime with the attitude he showed.

This topic has probably been chewed over and spat out, but just wanted to pass on my thoughts!

I think I said on another thread that Morrison became well known at millwall for being a confidence player. While there maybe some sour grapes about losing their striker it does seem that Morrison can blow hot and cold, whether it be confidence issues or beliving in hype its seems a decent bet that if his head isnt right it effects his game. Lambert will have to use those man management skills we all hear about if we are to get our 2011 player back and i hope he can because to keep Holt out of the first 11 you have to be pretty decent!

I remember when Morrison joined there was a lot of talk of Milwill fans being quite relieved to have got rid of him because they saw him as a bit lazy and perhaps a bit cocky, however i remember Morrison replying to the fans when he left the club, saying he played for 2 months or so with a broken toe or part of his foot and the fans were never aware because obviously they didn''t want other teams to know. Now i know i may my feelings about Morrison known after the FA cup defeat, but perhaps there is an injury there, however IMHO i think he thinks a lot about himself, as seen with his comments a month or two ago about our team creating very few oppertunities for our forwards to score. I don''t know if that comment he made came out a bit wrong, but to me it didn''t sound likie a team player. The whole thing about him playing injured for two months at Milwill really impressed me before he came and while we got to see that passion at the start of the season it has gradually been dwindeling (sorry about spelling?) and for me raises question over the legitmacy of his comments and also the guys will and desire to play for the team and not himself.A Morrison on his day is a very good player, but for some reason we are not seeing it from him at the moment, i just hope we do from now til lthe end of the season when Lambert thinks he deserves another chance in the team. I think Wilbers may get another couple of chances before Morro does again.

He told me that he will start putting in 100%,every game,once people start spelling his name right.It''s a bugbear of his that does affect his performance[;)]

[quote user="Herman "]

He told me that he will start putting in 100%,every game,once people start spelling his name right.It''s a bugbear of his that does affect his performance[;)]

[/quote]Haha, how should his name be spealt?

[quote user="Herman "]

[/quote]

Not three "r''s," not two "r''s," but one "r."

Signed Broadstairs one "R."

[quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="Herman "]

[/quote]

Haha, how should his name be spealt?
[/quote]

[:D]Just one R. Morison.

Anyway,enough of my pedantry.Do you think he heard the criticism that he was getting when he was playing well.Even against Chelsea people were moaning about him,calling for him to replaced after only 20 minutes.Maybe he can''t be bothered because of some of us fans!?

Also we''re kidding ourselves if we don''t think that the players don''t read this Board, it''s hardly difficult. Some pretty terrible things have been said about him recently, based mostly upon one bad game.

Personal attacks on our players should be outlawed on here in my opinion. Some anonymous little ignoramous spouting his ill-informed mouth off is thoroughly detrimental to the cause.

Reasoned criticism, OK. Downright slagging off eg. "Let''s talk about that pile of etc."  Is horrible and hardly necessary on an otherwise fairly sensible outlet for debate.  

yeah they bloody hate that morison fella in millwall. how dare he score all the goals that he did nearly getting them into the play-offs.

I have said before that my Millwall mate didn''t rate him and predicted this would happen.

Frustrating because he has great potential, is strong and a good header of the ball. First touch is woeful.

The argument that he kept Holt out of the team is one that I was not comfortable with. During that short period of time, it was Holt who had to come on as sub to rescue a point or points.

I hope Lambo and Culverhouse can sort him out if he does have problems.

Footballers are not robots.     If  he has problems off the pitch  and then has to go out in front of 26,000 fans and thousands more watching on TV, it is not surprising if he shows signs of the pressure!     Players will react differently, depending on their make up.   Some will play well despite their difficulties, others will show signs of the emotion that is bubbling away underneath.   

As a footballer, Morison is good - and I believe he has been working hard at improving his touch etc - so he has potential to improve - but if the off field stuff is getting to him and showing on the pitch,  a break from the first team or even a  move away could be the answer.   

The lazy tag is a hard one to judge.    When I watch football I  am often amazed at how some so called top players seem to stroll around the pitch - even when they are quite close to the action.    Its as if they are saying to their fellow players "go on, do your stuff - I''ll just stand here until you can''t do anymore on your own".       I prefer to watch players that are constantly on their toes,  moving around, working out angles, looking for openings, offering support.   Morison doesn''t seem to do this and I think this contrasts greatly with the rest of our players who do seem to do what I described above.      But he is a good goal scorer and surely has a role - if he can recapture some of his early season form.

Oh bless, jealous little Millwall fans. I heard the same things when he first moved here and how he was a decent Championship player but would never be any good in the Premier League. That was until a few of them started to admit the truth, that we had got a very good player at a very good price and they were gutted.

Moro did ok for boro in the Conference and gave his all, never criticised for being lazy.  You can''t blame anyone for not wanting to be at Millwall, can you.  PL to do his man management stuff and get Moro back to his early season promise.  If not its back to the Chamionship.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Footballers are not robots.     If  he has problems off the pitch  and then has to go out in front of 26,000 fans and thousands more watching on TV, it is not surprising if he shows signs of the pressure!     Players will react differently, depending on their make up.   Some will play well despite their difficulties, others will show signs of the emotion that is bubbling away underneath.  

As a footballer, Morison is good - and I believe he has been working hard at improving his touch etc - so he has potential to improve - but if the off field stuff is getting to him and showing on the pitch,  a break from the first team or even a  move away could be the answer.   

The lazy tag is a hard one to judge.    When I watch football I  am often amazed at how some so called top players seem to stroll around the pitch - even when they are quite close to the action.    Its as if they are saying to their fellow players "go on, do your stuff - I''ll just stand here until you can''t do anymore on your own".       I prefer to watch players that are constantly on their toes,  moving around, working out angles, looking for openings, offering support.   Morison doesn''t seem to do this and I think this contrasts greatly with the rest of our players who do seem to do what I described above.      But he is a good goal scorer and surely has a role - if he can recapture some of his early season form.

[/quote]

Agreed, mostly

I don''t think Morison is generally a lazy footballer, but even when he was doing brilliantly for us and scoring a lot people were calling him lazy. Despite the fact that he''s scored at least a few goals as a direct result of his harrying of defenders. He kind of has that lazy style - like Dimitar Berbatov who also gets acused of the same.

I disagree with your last statement - his best games for us have always been as a loan striker, during which he has spent a lot of his time working the channels (gaining more criticism from fans who want to see him in the box all the time), which takes a lot of constant running and offering support.

He has appeared lazy in his last few appearances. It''s like that little bit of his style that people didn''t like has crept its way up to actually dominate, and in the last few games he hasn''t been creating chances with his running as he had previously. I think it can only be something personal, whether it''s unrelated or something to do with Norwich, I don''t know.

Not everyone lets their off-pitch issues affect them as much as this (if indeed it is something off the pitch which is mere uninformed speculation from me) but for others it''s impossible not to be affected. If this is the case, I''d say it''s a difficult test of Lambert''s man management, which has overcome every challenge so far.

I agree Jud, that his ''lazy'' look has started to predominate.   On field problems or off field problems?  We don''t really know, but possibe off field problems combined with on field problems is probably a toxic mix.  

He may simply be ''off form'' for whatever reason.    He has been forced to take a secondary role behind Holt - whereas earlier in the season he might have thought of himself as the number one choice.   This might have knocked his confidence in itself.    He has needed to improve his touch - I think opposition players have sussed he''s not that brilliant at dribbling so get tight to him straight away. That could have knocked him back a bit too.   He is a good striker/header of a ball and this doesn''t go away - he''ll always have that.    He has  also obviously had a heck of a season so far, coming up from the championship to a new club, scoring well, then struggling, possible off field issues.   He maybe just needs time to readjust and then go again.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Morison will definitely be sold in the summer.  Remember you heard it here first.......[/quote]

You''ve used up your quota of "firsts" for this month already. 

Craig Fleming said on Canary call certain Norwich fans aren''t happy unless they''re moaning about someone or something...

This thread has done little to prove otherwise...

When we signed One R I asked a colleague who is a Millwall S/T holder for his opinion and was surprised when he said:"You''ve got a good player, he''ll be great for you for half a season and then his head will drop and he''ll be a waste of space." At the time I put it down to sour grapes at them losing their top scorer, however unfortunately he appears to have been spot on with his summary.At Millwall, SM''s form dipped when he decided he wanted a move to a bigger club and his heart clearly wasn''t with Millwall any more. However, I would be surprised if its the same reason with us as I doubt if there are many other Prem clubs who are bigger/better than us who would buy him in the Summer. So what has caused his form to drop? Perhaps he''s carrying an injury? Its certainly a challenge for Sir Paul & Cully to resolve.

Blimey, Morison really does get peoples'' backs up, doesn''t he? I thought Chris Martin got victimised, but he''s a canary hero compared to this bloke. Whereas Chris often failed to deliver on his undoubted promise Moro is second leading scorer, has scored vital late winners at QPR and West Brom in recent weeks, and forged a lone furrow when asked to play as the lone striker.

His reward for all this? Constant villification and innuendo from people who haven''t got a clue as to what''s actually going on behind the scenes, but have read something somewhere or heard something from a friend of a friend and decided it''s true. Players have dips in form. Even the untouchasble Holt looked sluggish and off the pace in the early games, but no-one felt the need to suggest that someone was shagging his wife or that he was having a strop, yet the minute Morison has a bad patch it''s like freaking gossip page on her. Give the bloke a break for Christ''s sake!

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Blimey, Morison really does get peoples'' backs up, doesn''t he? I thought Chris Martin got victimised, but he''s a canary hero compared to this bloke. Whereas Chris often failed to deliver on his undoubted promise Moro is second leading scorer, has scored vital late winners at QPR and West Brom in recent weeks, and forged a lone furrow when asked to play as the lone striker.

His reward for all this? Constant villification and innuendo from people who haven''t got a clue as to what''s actually going on behind the scenes, but have read something somewhere or heard something from a friend of a friend and decided it''s true. Players have dips in form. Even the untouchasble Holt looked sluggish and off the pace in the early games, but no-one felt the need to suggest that someone was shagging his wife or that he was having a strop, yet the minute Morison has a bad patch it''s like freaking gossip page on her. Give the bloke a break for Christ''s sake!

[/quote]

Binner

he''s got the face of a convict but the attitude of a prima donna.

don''t expect him to be around too long

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Thanks God for some common sense [:)]Goodness knows what Morrison must think when he reads some of the posts on here?

Hear hear to Beausant.

The moaning gits should get a life. Morison has contributed enormously to this season''s success.

I feel sorry for Morison. The reality of the situation is that footballers can gain or lose form. Anyone who has played organised football at any level will know that you will go through peaks and troughs in form. Its inevitable. To use examples from other sports Nasser Hussain and Alisitair Cook both went through phases where they literally couldn''t buy a run for quite a long period. It doesn''t mean that they weren''t good enough or weren''t trying. I bet you anything that Morison is in there working his backside off everyday. Lambert, the coaching stuff and the other players would not tolerate anything else. Back in December I think virtually everyone here would have said he was by some distance our most complete forward when he was leading the line by himself and chipping in with some vital goals. Of course Morison has his limitations like any footballer and he is not the most technically gifted player you will ever see. But behind Holty he is still the striker I would be most disappointed to see leave the club, if for some reason it were to happen.  

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]Thank you, I thought I''d have to come up with the defence of Morison.It''s ridiculous the stick he is getting on here, for what, one bad game against Leicester.  A game, incidentally, where half of the team couldn''t be bothered either.  Morison was hardly the only one to blame in that game.  He has scored some incredibly vital goals for us this season, and so what he''s had a dip in form.  Why is Morison vilified so much?  He is A DIFFERENT PLAYER TO GRANT HOLT.  He wont run after lost causes.  Don''t forget guys he has scored only scored one less goal than Holt in the league, give the guy a break.

There are repeated rumours of offfield problems which I am not going to repeat because if they are false they are libellous and if they are true then they should not be in the public domain. I''m one of the last with the gossip and it is clear from various comments that knowledge is widespread on here.

My point though is this. What if the rumours have some truth?  What if Steve is going through some personal crisis? Isn''t that just when we as fans should be giving our player the support and respect and help that he deserves? If something is wrong then Steve needs understanding and support to get through it and over it. he does not need criticism and pressure.

So, the only people who have a right to crticise Steve Morison on this board ot anywhere else are  those who know for a fact that the rumours are false and that he really can''t be bothered and those whose humanity is so absent or deformed that they genuinely don''t care and want to have a pop at one of our own irrespective of the circumstances.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Thanks God for some common sense [:)]Goodness knows what Morrison must think when he reads some of the posts on here?

[/quote]

Same as Holty must have thought when it was his turn. [:|]

Morison will score a couple more soon and then the baton will be passed to someone else.

Elliott Bennett hasn''t scored yet....