Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Anyone worth having fron Rangers on a freebie?

Midfielders Gregg

Wylde and Mervan Celik are the first players to leave Rangers after

administrators rejected a proposal by the players to defer wages.

Wylde, 20, and Celik, a year older, have had their offers for voluntary redundancy with no pay-off accepted.

Looks like this is the end for Rangers, and with it, probably recognised Scottish football.

Would you except Celtic into the premier league? I''m on the fence, but swaying more to a no.

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]

Midfielders Gregg Wylde and Mervan Celik are the first players to leave Rangers after administrators rejected a proposal by the players to defer wages.

Wylde, 20, and Celik, a year older, have had their offers for voluntary redundancy with no pay-off accepted.

Looks like this is the end for Rangers, and with it, probably recognised Scottish football.

Would you except Celtic into the premier league? I''m on the fence, but swaying more to a no.

[/quote]

Great minds think a like hey?!Just started the exact same thread!

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Canaries Utd"]

Midfielders Gregg Wylde and Mervan Celik are the first players to leave Rangers after administrators rejected a proposal by the players to defer wages.

[/quote]

Great minds think a like hey?!Just started the exact same thread!

[/quote]

Threads now merged!

I just cant see players wanting to play up there, i don''t think it''ll be long before the footballing authorities have a look a scotland for european places. If say Celtic entrered the premier league then that in turn may open more european places?Lafferty is a good shout.

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]I just cant see players wanting to play up there, i don''t think it''ll be long before the footballing authorities have a look a scotland for european places. If say Celtic entrered the premier league then that in turn may open more european places?

Lafferty is a good shout.
[/quote]

European places are worked out using the UEFA coefficient scores and so it doesn''t matter which league Celtic are in to work out the number of European places. Also as England is currently at the top and with little chance of being knocked off there for a little while there are no more places possible.

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/index.html

It is a sorry time for Scottish football, but it has been for a while now. I would imagine that once the administrators have cleared a lot of the debts then someone will look to buy the club and start things over. Even with a greatly reduced budget and playing squad it wouldn''t take Rangers too long to be the second best team in Scotland again.

I''d agree, BYG. A newly formed:/financed Rangers would probably make more of an impact more quickly than the old version struggling on under a mountain of debt  . There''s huge latent support for the club, and it''s a HUGE catchment area. They''d probably do a mre strong version of AFC Wimbledon''s rise. But whether they''d be a force enough to compete in England is another matter.

To answer the OP, I too think Lafferty stands out as someone worth taking a punt on.

I''d take Lafferty, not sure about the rest though can''t say they are better than what we currently have

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="nolegs"]NO![/quote]

Care to expand on your comment?

[/quote]Which particular part of his comment don''t you understand Tangy? Perhaps I can help. [;)]

Tangible Fixed Assets anyone?

Care to expland?

Fairly self explanatory,

Anyone worth having from Rangers on a freebie?

No

The problem with the jockos is the polarisation of the fans, wherby much of the lifeblood of other clubs is sucked dry. Sticking both in the Premier League would not solve much as the fans would still turn up to those two clubs rather than be more evenly spread around the other clubs. It is a social problem relating to Scotland and something they will have to resolve alone.As to players being free, that is a myth. The players, and if not their agents, will know their worth, and so will try and most likely be able to negotiate a far higher signing on fee and most likely better wages;Players signing for City should be signed for many reasons, ability, potential, attitude, requirement for squad etc rather than simply because their club has gone tits up.

Celtic in the premier league would look a bit strange after the they vote for independence!

If we are going to have foreign clubs in English leagues, I''d go for clubs from France, Spain and southern Europe generally - some interesting away games!

But Badger, the point is Scotland isn''t really ''foreign'', if Swansea, Cardiff and is it Wrexham? are allowed in the ''English'' division, so should the top scottish sides.

Basically, Scottish and Welsh football is so poor, so little money in it, they might as well merge, but its probably too late now. It will take years to catch up with the other sides, and they will just be at the bottom of the pile for far too long, wouldn''t be worth it for them, as then they would make no more, if not less money than they do now. Celtic and Rangers, with their fan base, and premiership funding, could easily be top half teams. Occasionally one of them has had a decent season or two in europe, so they aren''t a million miles away. But they would need some time to adjust, if they just got thrown in the Prem, they would probably be relegated first season, look at some of the ''best'' players that have come from those clubs in recent years to England, Boyd being the best example I can think of at the moment, was useless in the Championship, but was the best forward by miles in the SPL...

I don''t know if any Rangers players would be worth nabbing, don''t watch them to be honest, I suppose any decent youngsters like the two mentioned in the OP, could be worth a gamble, Lambert does know how to get the best out of players. But does he want to sign Rangers players?

[quote user=" Badger"] If we are going to have foreign clubs in English leagues, I''d go for clubs from France, Spain - some interesting away games![/quote]

Liking the sound of this already, Badge.

City playing Montpellier, Toulouse, OM , Barça and Espanyol would save me a fortune in air fares.....

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

Two players have left rangers today, and it look''s like most will leave in the future. Is there anyone good enough for our squad? Steven Davis and Kyle Lafferty immediately spring to mind.

[/quote].....just think, if we had sold them holty, we could have got him back on a free, though it would not have been worth weakening our attack.

Maybe we should of sold Holt for 500k taken him back on a loan when they were announced that they were in administration then re-bought for 20k?

Celtic and Rangers both agreed to start in the Championship;

They also agreed that non of them could be promoted in their first season

and only one of they could be promoted the following season

However the teams in the Football League voted against allowing this to happen.

I honestly believe these clubs would be mid-table in the Championship.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]But Badger, the point is Scotland isn''t really ''foreign'', if Swansea, Cardiff and is it Wrexham? are allowed in the ''English'' division, so should the top scottish sides. Basically, Scottish and Welsh football is so poor, so little money in it, they might as well merge, but its probably too late now. It will take years to catch up with the other sides, and they will just be at the bottom of the pile for far too long, wouldn''t be worth it for them, as then they would make no more, if not less money than they do now. Celtic and Rangers, with their fan base, and premiership funding, could easily be top half teams. Occasionally one of them has had a decent season or two in europe, so they aren''t a million miles away. But they would need some time to adjust, if they just got thrown in the Prem, they would probably be relegated first season, look at some of the ''best'' players that have come from those clubs in recent years to England, Boyd being the best example I can think of at the moment, was useless in the Championship, but was the best forward by miles in the SPL... I don''t know if any Rangers players would be worth nabbing, don''t watch them to be honest, I suppose any decent youngsters like the two mentioned in the OP, could be worth a gamble, Lambert does know how to get the best out of players. But does he want to sign Rangers players?[/quote]

Wales isnt currenlty looking at independance from Britain and also those teams have been part of the english league for a long long time, with no comparable professional league to the scottish divisions. If Scotland stays part of britain, and those teams work their way up the football league then fair enough, no queue jumping, size of club cant be the a factor imo. I''m not sure the English FA will allow it either as it might give FIFA the ammo after a  Britain team taking in part Olympics to reduce our voting power down to one vote, or worse make us play as a British team.

Re: Rangers and Celtic being in the ''English Leagues''.

The SNP have pushed any thought of that well away now. No one will bother to contemplate it until the outcome of the 2014 referendum.

Mainly because if the Scots vote for independance they wont even be part of the UK. And then it would be akin to allowing a foreign club to join our leagues.

Distance is not the real issue. Its a long way for a lot of clubs to to travel to Plymouth or Southampton but its not the issue here.

[quote user="chicken"]Re: Rangers and Celtic being in the ''English Leagues''.

The SNP have pushed any thought of that well away now. No one will bother to contemplate it until the outcome of the 2014 referendum.

Mainly because if the Scots vote for independance they wont even be part of the UK. And then it would be akin to allowing a foreign club to join our leagues.

Distance is not the real issue. Its a long way for a lot of clubs to to travel to Plymouth or Southampton but its not the issue here.[/quote]i''m interested in where that would leave Berwick Rangers.. an English club playin in the Scottish leagues http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berwick_Rangersand would they fancy the thousand mile round trip to play Plymouth on a wednesday night?