Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Johnson

Johnson was again poor in my eyes, Some good passes, but his general play was poor. Poor control, slow to react, did not attempt to cut out the cross for Scholes opening goal, etc.

Did not do the watchdog job he is (likely) supposed to be doing. Did no harass, did not tackle (except for the all-too-yellow card), and I just feel he is not doing the job properly.

Cant wait for Howson, because to me, Johnson is nowhere near Premier quality at the moment. Surely Lambert must see this?

Surprised to see Wes come on for Jackson. I was expecting Johnson to be subbed at HT due to his poor game and yellow card. Jackson caused Man U trouble with his tireless running down the channels.

[quote user="grefstad"]

Johnson was again poor in my eyes, Some good passes, but his general play was poor. Poor control, slow to react, did not attempt to cut out the cross for Scholes opening goal, etc.

Did not do the watchdog job he is (likely) supposed to be doing. Did no harass, did not tackle (except for the all-too-yellow card), and I just feel he is not doing the job properly.

Cant wait for Howson, because to me, Johnson is nowhere near Premier quality at the moment. Surely Lambert must see this?

Surprised to see Wes come on for Jackson. I was expecting Johnson to be subbed at HT due to his poor game and yellow card. Jackson caused Man U trouble with his tireless running down the channels.

[/quote]

Completely agree, Wes should have come on for the ineffective BJ and we should have switched to the diamond.

Yeah did not think Johnson had a good game but he is always going to be a ''presence'' against a tough utd midfield. I think Johnson has been good for us but creating competition for places is what we want and what Lambert wants . So be it if Howson steps in and does well for us but everyone has off days.

Wes is a good player and I believe this change was tactical due to formation change, but yes I agree that Jackson was a menace and worthy of his place.

Johnson maybe looks a little off the pace sometimes, but that can be deceptive.    Wes coming on was presumably to put more in midfield. If he had taken off Johnson, it wouldn''t have had the same effect.     The fact PL played him shows he has what it takes, but he is one of those players who doesn''t always look the best.   He''s the opposite of Wes.   Wes is  always on the ball and trying to do something - and looks bad if it doesn''t quite work, Johnson doesn''t get on the ball that much - so he looks bad because he doesn''t look as if he is doing that much.   Both important to PL - otherwise he wouldn''t have played them....................

What is frustrating is that Johnson seem to think his game is more than just being a bully boy.

But I would assume that his role vs Man U was not to spray passes around, but instead intimidate Scholes and co, and let Fox do the passing.

Also, I constantly see Johnson falling way too deep, without doing any actual pressing, so in that respect his presence is almost useless, as he is not defending as a defender (not picking people up), and he is not pressing as a midfielder (not harassing/tackling), so why keep him on the field?

I suppose with Morison not in the starting 11 at the moment, the scapegoat jacket has to pass to someone. The latest of a long line of owners is, therefore, Bradley Johnson. It was interesting to hear what Craig Fleming had to say on this subject. He stressed that he loves Norwich, the Club, the City, the County, his children were born here and are being brought up as "Norfolk people". However, he has never been able to work out why a section of Norwich supporters possess an apparent need and desire to have a scapegoat. He says that this is the one big distateful thing about the Club and has always been there. Certainly, from my own point of view of supporting the Canaries since 1962, I can fully understand these comments. It is, in my view, pathetic and does nothing for the Club and players at all.

[quote user="Webbo118"]I suppose with Morison not in the starting 11 at the moment, the scapegoat jacket has to pass to someone. The latest of a long line of owners is, therefore, Bradley Johnson. It was interesting to hear what Craig Fleming had to say on this subject. He stressed that he loves Norwich, the Club, the City, the County, his children were born here and are being brought up as "Norfolk people". However, he has never been able to work out why a section of Norwich supporters possess an apparent need and desire to have a scapegoat. He says that this is the one big distateful thing about the Club and has always been there. Certainly, from my own point of view of supporting the Canaries since 1962, I can fully understand these comments. It is, in my view, pathetic and does nothing for the Club and players at all.[/quote]

Who''s made him a scapegoat? Nobody''s saying he''s to blame for our defeat, just pointing out that he didn''t play very well yesterday.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

[quote user="Webbo118"]I suppose with Morison not in the starting 11 at the moment, the scapegoat jacket has to pass to someone. The latest of a long line of owners is, therefore, Bradley Johnson. It was interesting to hear what Craig Fleming had to say on this subject. He stressed that he loves Norwich, the Club, the City, the County, his children were born here and are being brought up as "Norfolk people". However, he has never been able to work out why a section of Norwich supporters possess an apparent need and desire to have a scapegoat. He says that this is the one big distateful thing about the Club and has always been there. Certainly, from my own point of view of supporting the Canaries since 1962, I can fully understand these comments. It is, in my view, pathetic and does nothing for the Club and players at all.[/quote]

Who''s made him a scapegoat? Nobody''s saying he''s to blame for our defeat, just pointing out that he didn''t play very well yesterday.

[/quote]

Read the posts son.

I dont think there is any scapegoating here. The team put in a fantastic effort yest and should have got a point, we did not. That is not down to BJ.

However, as good a performance as it was there are still things that can be improved upon, just looking at the goals tracking from midfield (wes,surman, BJ, fox) and closing down for crosses (both fullbacks)

To me there were two players who while performing well did make some repeated basic errors - BJ was one (did not win enough tackles and poor with the ball) while the other was ward, who on several occassions was 4-5 yards deeper than the back line and played on wellbeck for shots that ruddy stopped or wellbeck fluffed.

Neither of them cost us the game, both played a part in a good team performance, neither are being scapegoated - just both could have been better.

So Webbo, you think Norwich fans are the only ones who have a ''scapegoat'', and Fleming also said as much? What is people''s obsession with thinking the kind of comments on here are exclusive to Norwich fans? Its very silly, do you really think other clubs fans don''t moan about things as much?

And Johnson isn''t a scapegoat, no one is, people are allowed to have negative opinions, based on one or multiple games. Not everyone is at the same level. Are you suggesting Johnson did look good yesterday? I don''t think he was bad, but he certainly wasn''t all that wonderful, and its why he (and Crofts) haven''t been in the team as much for the past couple of months...

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

[/quote]

Read the posts son.

[/quote]

I just see some comments about his poor performance yesterday. Hardly making him a scapegoat is it!

Using the word "useless" is hardly constructive and picking him out as being responsible for the first goal is hardly fair. If you analyse it, you could equally say that Whitbread missed the cross and Fox failed to go with his man (the scorer). But we didn''t did we?

[quote user="Gingerpele"]So Webbo, you think Norwich fans are the only ones who have a ''scapegoat'', and Fleming also said as much? What is people''s obsession with thinking the kind of comments on here are exclusive to Norwich fans? Its very silly, do you really think other clubs fans don''t moan about things as much? And Johnson isn''t a scapegoat, no one is, people are allowed to have negative opinions, based on one or multiple games. Not everyone is at the same level. Are you suggesting Johnson did look good yesterday? I don''t think he was bad, but he certainly wasn''t all that wonderful, and its why he (and Crofts) haven''t been in the team as much for the past couple of months...[/quote]

I think I have seen and played enough football to know a bit about supporters (not just the ones who follow Norwich). Just because other Clubs have fans who constantly moan doesn''t mean we whave to follow suit. Players are not perfect, they make mistakes and suffer dips in form. What I find particularly distasteful is the sheep dog mentality where one person says something and everyone else follows it as if it is gospel, i.e. the bandwagon factor. I see it at every game I attend. It is like a disease as it spreads. All I ask for is some sensible, individual thought. BJ is not "useless", in the same way as Surman is not "lightweight" or Morison "lazy".

Not every player on a team ( any team ) looks to be at his best in every match. Given the effort that is being put in by the Norwich squad this season I find it difficult to focus on the negatives.

I''m sure that many will argue the point but even the yellow card BJ picked up yesterday I can see from a positive perspective. We were showing United a little too much respect at the time ( they had scored a few minutes earlier ) and Nani decided to do some showboating. BJ showed him there would be a price for that. Whether it was coincidence or not, following that, Norwich began to play with more confidence. Every player has a contribution to make and a wise manager knows that.

''Just because other Clubs have fans who constantly moan doesn''t mean we whave to follow suit. Players are not perfect, they make mistakes and suffer dips in form. What I find particularly distasteful is the sheep dog mentality where one person says something and everyone else follows it as if it is gospel, i.e. the bandwagon factor''

Its not about being a football fan, and ''following suit'' its human nature, people moan. And their isn''t a sheep dog mentality, for the most part, its people''s own opinion. Just because those opinions match, doesn''t mean people are following a bandwagon. If their is a popular opinion, is probably for a reason...

As for the Surman ''lightweight'' issue, he was, he got shifted off the ball easily, he didn''t get stuck in, thats changed and most people are very very happy with him. I never said Surman was useless, lets get rid of him because he''s lightweight, and i''m sure most other sensible people were willing to give him more of a chance to develop. Just because you make a statement, doesn''t mean thats your view point forever, and the player in question can''t change. I thought it was fairly obvious, from watching him play, he showed lightweight characteristics.

Morison lazy, not one I agree with, but I can see why people think that. And a lot of the time, especially if you ask for it, people will explain their view point.

BJ, useless, how many people have called him useless? If its just one or two then thats just a couple of people who don''t think they need to explain why they don''t think Johnson was at the races yesterday. If you actually read the posts on Johnson, i''ll think you''ll find plenty of reasoning as to why people thought he was under par.

I''m getting fed up of this bandwagon, people jumping on other fans. A couple of lazy or lightweight comments here and there, ok even if their is a lot, but still you and others seem to have the ability to completely ignore people''s reasonings for using those terms. Fair enough if you''ve argued your own viewpoint back, as you''ve don here, but so often, on here, I just read rants about how ''all'' the Norwich fans make scapegoats, boo Wilbraham, think their better than other fans, make unfair generalised comments, don''t appreciate the team etc etc etc. Its getting boring, and often is just a front for someone not being bothered to argue their viewpoint. I remember a few years back, I argued and argued about Fozzy, so many people thought he was completely useless (he was as a captain), I didn''t just have a go at them for being negative and making a scapegoat, I argued against their point, with why I thought he wasn''t. Ok they were never going to agree with me, but in my eyes thats generally what you should be doing, rather than just making generalised statements.

Their is individual thought, I don''t understand why you think there isn''t...

Shrewd as ever Yankee. To get anything out of yesterday''s game we were always going to have to stop Man Utd before we could assert our own game. playing "after you sir" football would have resulted in certain defeat.

"Let ''em know you''re there son"[;)]

Howson is an attacking midfielder.  What on earth has he got to do with Johnson????As for this Johnson was poor rubbish, we were playing Man Utd, everyone was chasing shadows at times.

[quote user="grefstad"]

[/quote]

Having just commented on Johson on the Surman thread I shall now do so on here too.

Basically it''s a lack of pace that let''s him down. He''s a good enough player on the ball (not so great going forward) but he doesn''t have a turn of pace so the opposition get past him too easily. He can also be caught in possession because he hasn''t moved the ball quick enough.

Given that Fox, Hoolahan, and Johnson all suffer from a lack of real pace and/or mobility I''m not surprised that Howson has been signed.

Johnson had one of his better games yesterday i thought. But i am not a fan in general

[quote user="BW"]Johnson had one of his better games yesterday i thought. But i am not a fan in general[/quote]......just been watching the football first coverage and apparently johnson was replaced by leon barnett, must say i missed that substitution.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]''Just because other Clubs have fans who constantly moan doesn''t mean we whave to follow suit. Players are not perfect, they make mistakes and suffer dips in form. What I find particularly distasteful is the sheep dog mentality where one person says something and everyone else follows it as if it is gospel, i.e. the bandwagon factor'' Its not about being a football fan, and ''following suit'' its human nature, people moan. And their isn''t a sheep dog mentality, for the most part, its people''s own opinion. Just because those opinions match, doesn''t mean people are following a bandwagon. If their is a popular opinion, is probably for a reason... As for the Surman ''lightweight'' issue, he was, he got shifted off the ball easily, he didn''t get stuck in, thats changed and most people are very very happy with him. I never said Surman was useless, lets get rid of him because he''s lightweight, and i''m sure most other sensible people were willing to give him more of a chance to develop. Just because you make a statement, doesn''t mean thats your view point forever, and the player in question can''t change. I thought it was fairly obvious, from watching him play, he showed lightweight characteristics. Morison lazy, not one I agree with, but I can see why people think that. And a lot of the time, especially if you ask for it, people will explain their view point. BJ, useless, how many people have called him useless? If its just one or two then thats just a couple of people who don''t think they need to explain why they don''t think Johnson was at the races yesterday. If you actually read the posts on Johnson, i''ll think you''ll find plenty of reasoning as to why people thought he was under par. I''m getting fed up of this bandwagon, people jumping on other fans. A couple of lazy or lightweight comments here and there, ok even if their is a lot, but still you and others seem to have the ability to completely ignore people''s reasonings for using those terms. Fair enough if you''ve argued your own viewpoint back, as you''ve don here, but so often, on here, I just read rants about how ''all'' the Norwich fans make scapegoats, boo Wilbraham, think their better than other fans, make unfair generalised comments, don''t appreciate the team etc etc etc. Its getting boring, and often is just a front for someone not being bothered to argue their viewpoint. I remember a few years back, I argued and argued about Fozzy, so many people thought he was completely useless (he was as a captain), I didn''t just have a go at them for being negative and making a scapegoat, I argued against their point, with why I thought he wasn''t. Ok they were never going to agree with me, but in my eyes thats generally what you should be doing, rather than just making generalised statements. Their is individual thought, I don''t understand why you think there isn''t...[/quote]

Because I have witnessed and lived it for 50 years. If you really believe that a crowd all come to the same conclusion individually and are not influenced by what they hear, you are more deluded than I thought.

That doesn''t even deserve a response...

For a start, what has you witnessing it for 50 years got to do with anything? Wow your older, doesn''t make you an authority on the matter...

And the crowd, how many of them said Johnson was useless? How many said Surman was lightweight? Your making huge generalisations. Of course people are influenced by what others say, but the majority have the mind power to make their own decisions and thoughts, otherwise we wouldn''t have this forum would we? We wouldn''t have Canary call etc...

And why have you called me deluded? Your the one who keeps going on about everyone calling Johnson Useless, when the reality is only a couple of people have said such a thing... You''ve decided to completely ignore different people''s different analysis on Johnson''s performance, just have a go at people for having an opinion that you don''t agree with, without actually arguing against that opinion as far as I can see.

More insults Webbo?His Excellency Admiral General Aladeen admires your spunky attitude. He says that if your level of oppresive behaviour continues then you should be awarded the PU Offensive Medal Service Ribbon and your promotion up the ranks awaits. Keep up the good work, the Republic of Wadiya salutes you!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]That doesn''t even deserve a response... For a start, what has you witnessing it for 50 years got to do with anything? Wow your older, doesn''t make you an authority on the matter... And the crowd, how many of them said Johnson was useless? How many said Surman was lightweight? Your making huge generalisations. Of course people are influenced by what others say, but the majority have the mind power to make their own decisions and thoughts, otherwise we wouldn''t have this forum would we? We wouldn''t have Canary call etc... And why have you called me deluded? Your the one who keeps going on about everyone calling Johnson Useless, when the reality is only a couple of people have said such a thing... You''ve decided to completely ignore different people''s different analysis on Johnson''s performance, just have a go at people for having an opinion that you don''t agree with, without actually arguing against that opinion as far as I can see.[/quote]

Why give one then?  (Annoying I know but you''re)

[quote user="The DicTaTor"]More insults Webbo?

His Excellency Admiral General Aladeen admires your spunky attitude. He says that if your level of oppresive behaviour continues then you should be awarded the PU Offensive Medal Service Ribbon and your promotion up the ranks awaits. Keep up the good work, the Republic of Wadiya salutes you!
[/quote]

May I personally welcome you to the Forum. You''re obviously going to be a major asset.

[quote user="Webbo118"]I know you can read so why don''t you?[/quote]

Yep, just read the thread again. Your the one who uses the term useless, can''t see anyone else doing so....

[quote user="grefstad"]

What is frustrating is that Johnson seem to think his game is more than just being a bully boy.

But I would assume that his role vs Man U was not to spray passes around, but instead intimidate Scholes and co, and let Fox do the passing.

Also, I constantly see Johnson falling way too deep, without doing any actual pressing, so in that respect his presence is almost useless, as he is not defending as a defender (not picking people up), and he is not pressing as a midfielder (not harassing/tackling), so why keep him on the field?

[/quote]