Sign in to follow this  
Ernie

The myth of Norwich being a short team?

Out of interest I thought I would check out our players heights. Ruddy, Martin, Ayala, Whitbread, Tierney, Ward, Barnet, Bennet, Pilkington, Johnson, Morison, Holt, Wilbraham are all 6 foot plus.  Hoolahan is our shortest player at 5''7, followed by Jackson 5''8, Fox & Crofts 5''9, Surman & Bennett 5''10, Naughton, Vaughan & Dury 5''11 and I''m not sure about Howson. So more often than not we will have 7 or 8 6 footers playing, now I know it probably doesnt compare to say Stoke but I wouldnt say we were a particually short side.

I haven''t heard anyone say were a short team.....

The fact we''ve scored the most headers in the league, kind of suggests otherwise, thats something i''ve seen mentioned a number of times, never heard anyone say were a short team....

[quote user="Ernie"]Out of interest I thought I would check out our players heights. Ruddy, Martin, Ayala, Whitbread, Tierney, Ward, Barnet, Bennet, Pilkington, Johnson, Morison, Holt, Wilbraham are all 6 foot plus.  Hoolahan is our shortest player at 5''7, followed by Jackson 5''8, Fox & Crofts 5''9, Surman & Bennett 5''10, Naughton, Vaughan & Dury 5''11 and I''m not sure about Howson. So more often than not we will have 7 or 8 6 footers playing, now I know it probably doesnt compare to say Stoke but I wouldnt say we were a particually short side.[/quote]

Depends what you mean by short. In my book, short is 5''6" and below. We''re not the tallest but by no means are we the shortest.

As Ginge says, we hold the stat for the most headed goals, and are a major threat from set pieces.

Not sure where you got this "myth" from!

[quote user="AJ"]As Ginge says, we hold the stat for the most headed goals, and are a major threat from set pieces. Not sure where you got this "myth" from![/quote]

Lambert has said on occasion that we are not the biggest of teams.

[quote user="Ernie"]Out of interest I thought I would check out our players heights. Ruddy, Martin, Ayala, Whitbread, Tierney, Ward, Barnet, Bennet, Pilkington, Johnson, Morison, Holt, Wilbraham are all 6 foot plus.  Hoolahan is our shortest player at 5''7, followed by Jackson 5''8, Fox & Crofts 5''9, Surman & Bennett 5''10, Naughton, Vaughan & Dury 5''11 and I''m not sure about Howson. So more often than not we will have 7 or 8 6 footers playing, now I know it probably doesnt compare to say Stoke but I wouldnt say we were a particually short side.[/quote]

Is Tierney really 6 foot or 6 foot plus? Doesn''t look it. Not sure about Johnson either.

Pilks might be around 6 foot but he''s not that tall. Same with R Martin. Infact Grant Holt probably isn''t much more than 6 foot.

Since we were relegated to League One we have been signing bigger players. We were a short team back then. I don''t think we are now. We matched Stoke in last weeks set plays. Conceding corners is no longer so scarey. In fact defending and attacking set plays have become two of our strengths.

[quote user="Ernie"]

[quote user="AJ"]As Ginge says, we hold the stat for the most headed goals, and are a major threat from set pieces. Not sure where you got this "myth" from![/quote]

[/quote]That still doesn''t make us Short does it?

[quote user="GJP"]

Is Tierney really 6 foot or 6 foot plus? Doesn''t look it. Not sure about Johnson either.

Pilks might be around 6 foot but he''s not that tall. Same with R Martin. Infact Grant Holt probably isn''t much more than 6 foot.

[/quote]

All of those players are quoted at 6ft according to our player profiles.

[quote user="The Pink''un Role Model"][quote user="Ernie"]

[/quote]

That still doesn''t make us Short does it?

[/quoteThats true, however as one poster has said we do seem to have signed "bigger" player more recently.  In the premier league its not just about technical ability but players really do have to be athletes as the game is player much faster and to be really effect you need to able to get up down the pitch, unless your a Scholes of course or you can afford to have others doing your running for you.

[quote user="Ernie"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So is Korey Smith apparently.

Maybe those measurements are taken with their boots on and the studs add a bit extra. Or maybe they''re just taking a guess.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Ernie"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So is Korey Smith apparently.

Maybe those measurements are taken with their boots on and the studs add a bit extra. Or maybe they''re just taking a guess.

[/quote]He''s quoted at 5''9 I think, maybe its like when I say I''m 6''5 oh no sorry its the other way round!