Sign in to follow this  
dpit

Warm weather breaks...the stats?

With the lads currently on a ''warm weather training break'', has anyone ever done any research on how teams have done immediately after a return from such a jolly? It seems to be an increasingly common phenomenon and if there isn''t already data, it would make for an interesting project for someone on a sports science/psychology course.

Could go one of 2 ways in the first match afterwards - either the boys come roaring back, buoyed by the bonding and boost of a little bit of sun etc or they turn up sluggish and slightly off due to a post break ''downer'' and desire to be back in the land of sea and sun rather than gloomy Norwich.

We shall see on Sunday.

Wouldn''t profess to know any full stats on this but very famously of course a few seasons back after Glenn Roeder pulled the team away from the relegation zone with a 13 match unbeaten run, took the squad away to Spain on a training camp only to return with a 4-1 defeat at Leicester which then turned into a disastrous run of results which put us firmly back in the relegation zone, which we only survived on the penultimate match.

To me it seems that If a team picks up in form after the break then the trip is the reason why.However, If a team drops in form after the break, again the trip seems to be the reason why..Personally I don''t think it makes a huge difference either way.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Wouldn''t profess to know any full stats on this but very famously of course a few seasons back after Glenn Roeder pulled the team away from the relegation zone with a 13 match unbeaten run, took the squad away to Spain on a training camp only to return with a 4-1 defeat at Leicester which then turned into a disastrous run of results which put us firmly back in the relegation zone, which we only survived on the penultimate match.[/quote]

Unrelated to the trip I''m sure - and that is a bit of an exaggeration, we never went back into the relegation zone!

To be honest I think that slump had more to do with Roeder terrible man management skills which only get short term results. We were awful under from the Leicester game through until January when he eventually got fired. You cant blame it all on the winter break! I also think the decision to depart from playing his away system featuring one winger which had actually yielded good results and instead include James Henry didnt help either.

I came back from Spain after a holiday there in 2003 and we didn''t win another game for 5 weeksmind you it was the close season, but it just goes to show doesn''t it ?

Data data data. We can all go with our intuition but informed decisions need to be informed by research. I hope Paul and the team got access to some juicy research before donning the sombreros and saving up the pennies for the straw donkeys. I am sure someone has looked into the effect on business productivity of team building jollies.

I went to Portugal for 4 days last weekend and we lost away at Stoke...I''ll go out of a whim and say the 2 are completely unrelated.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]I went to Portugal for 4 days last weekend and we lost away at Stoke...I''ll go out of a whim and say the 2 are completely unrelated.[/quote]

Wish I could get 4 days out of a weekend - that would be worth some research.

Anyway from my experience of work-related jollies, awaydays etc they''re a complete waste of time.  But I really hope the players won''t be spending their time in brainstorming sessions trying to "think the unthinkable" about new ways to market the business....

Isn''t the idea that they''ll be training, like at home, but with less rain and away from the usual distractions.  Which, given our recent defeats - and loss of form of one or two players - strikes me as very well timed.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]isn''t the weekend from Thursday to Sunday any more then?[/quote]Only if you work for the Council! [;)]

Do people still work for councils? I thought the Tories put paid to that?

I mean, do people still work? I thought the Tories put paid to that.

Either that or they privatised the weekends. I''m sure its one or the other.

More to the point, does anyone even know if it was ''warm weather''? Ive spent quite a bit of time in Nerja its self and costa del sol in general at this time of year. Quite a lot of rain comes down this time of year!