Sign in to follow this  
the pigman

Stop tinkering now.

No complaints at all over the way Lambert has chosen to pick his teams in the past but I now feel for the run in until we are def safe a settled side would help.Which side that would be,everyone will have a different one but I have to say we look so much better with Fox,Wes,Holt and yes a fully alert Morrow but that would be down to him to sort out his problem,if he does not Jacko will have to be given starts and full games.

It''s easy to say pigman but just because a player is playing well doesn''t mean they should always be in the starting line up, take Wes for example, he plays well in a free role just behind the front two or behind a lone striker but doesn''t fit well in a flat four or on the wing so we would have to play the diamond or a 4.3.1.2 formation. That was OK in League 1 and the Championship but we need to alter things around now we are in the top flight.

Disagree entirely. Most of Lambert''s success has come through springing tactical surprises, keeping things fresh, keeping the players on their toes.

I fully expect that he will continue to chop and change things depending on what he thinks will be the best formation/lineup to win us the game.

As Aggy said.I don''t think PL has named the same team 3 games in a row.His team selection often catches people off guard - especially us supporters. I''m not sure if I always agree with the formation and team selection, but for the majority of the games he has got it bob on!

What would he do about injuries and suspensions, when those outside the squad, already disillusioned, are not match fit? What does he do about those in the squad, who feel a lack of compeition for their place?

These are extreme, but he manages to keep the whole first team squad feeling that they have a contribution and are part of the team, and the best players aware of competition. How does PL maintain this ethos if there is an elite group within?

I personally like his approach of horses for courses. We came close to nicking a point at Stoke, something not many do, and completely nullified their "football in the sky". This meant a team selected to acheive a purpose.  I also like the way he keeps other managers guessing, with very vague comments at the Friday press conference. Other teams would find it much easier to prepare to play us if they knew the team, style and tactics we were going to use.

He doesn''t necessarily change the team to keep the squad happy. At the end of the day (barring injuries and suspensions) you normally pick your best 11 players in order to win.

What Lambert is so good at is changing the team with respect to the opposition.

At home vs. Newcastle being the prime example. Until the team is steady and one of the better teams in the league (top 6/7) you have to play the opposition as well as your own team.

Next year I think we''ll see a more settled team as better players arrive and others depart.

Let''s not forget the coaching team is getting more out of the current players natural ability then they should and on a consistent basis.

Perfect time for tinkering, job done this season -

Will be a challenge to do it again next season

Now we have 2 new players in Howson and Bennett, time to find out how they will fit in and in what systems they play best in.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]I agree. Look at Fox, Hoolahan & Surman for example. When them three play together they are brilliant and all sing of the same hym sheet. Take one or more out of the equation and whats left is no where near as effective. The three of them should start every game. [/quote]

Apart from at Swansea, a CM of Fox and Surman played very very well, Hoolahan was good when he came on, but Fox and Surman did just as well without him. I think its a case of Hoolahan needing them more than they need him, I think now Surman is playing so well, he''s kind of replaced Hoolahan. Now the three of them is a great combo, but I think Hoolahan can be left out, without the two of them suffering too much.

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="lincoln canary"]I agree. Look at Fox, Hoolahan & Surman for example. When them three play together they are brilliant and all sing of the same hym sheet. Take one or more out of the equation and whats left is no where near as effective. The three of them should start every game. [/quote]

Apart from at Swansea, a CM of Fox and Surman played very very well, Hoolahan was good when he came on, but Fox and Surman did just as well without him. I think its a case of Hoolahan needing them more than they need him, I think now Surman is playing so well, he''s kind of replaced Hoolahan. Now the three of them is a great combo, but I think Hoolahan can be left out, without the two of them suffering too much.[/quote]good post GPI was actually discussing with a friend regarding Hooligan yesterday... would he be missed form the midfield if we sold him?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="lincoln canary"]I agree. Look at Fox, Hoolahan & Surman for example. When them three play together they are brilliant and all sing of the same hym sheet. Take one or more out of the equation and whats left is no where near as effective. The three of them should start every game. [/quote] Apart from at Swansea, a CM of Fox and Surman played very very well, Hoolahan was good when he came on, but Fox and Surman did just as well without him. I think its a case of Hoolahan needing them more than they need him, I think now Surman is playing so well, he''s kind of replaced Hoolahan. Now the three of them is a great combo, but I think Hoolahan can be left out, without the two of them suffering too much.[/quote]

good post GP

I was actually discussing with a friend regarding Hooligan yesterday... would he be missed form the midfield if we sold him?
[/quote]

Jeez..... What a crazy question. Have you been asleep for the past 2.5 years? Of cause a player of Hoolahans abillity would be missed, If you honestly think he wouldn''t be missed then your showing serious incompetence in regard to judging a players abillity. Wake up, smell the coffee and stop talking drivel!! 

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="lincoln canary"]I agree. Look at Fox, Hoolahan & Surman for example. When them three play together they are brilliant and all sing of the same hym sheet. Take one or more out of the equation and whats left is no where near as effective. The three of them should start every game. [/quote]

Apart from at Swansea, a CM of Fox and Surman played very very well, Hoolahan was good when he came on, but Fox and Surman did just as well without him. I think its a case of Hoolahan needing them more than they need him, I think now Surman is playing so well, he''s kind of replaced Hoolahan. Now the three of them is a great combo, but I think Hoolahan can be left out, without the two of them suffering too much.[/quote]good post GPI was actually discussing with a friend regarding Hooligan yesterday... would he be missed form the midfield if we sold him?[/quote]

Hoolahan''s a fine footballer, but he''s tricky to accommodate in most line-ups  - ask previous Ireland managers.

I think he''ll come to play more of a bit part/impact sub role over the next couple of seasons, but I''d certainly not get rid. He is often difficult to accommodate in the premiership over someone with more work rate/defensive attributes mixed into their game. Unfortunately for him, he''s not THAT good that he can be picked week in week out without thinking about those other attributes, but in certain circumstances/formations/selections he is still one of the more important players.