Sign in to follow this  
Supermarket Prodigy

Andy Najar?

Must keep in mind the quality of the league in which he plays.  If the Football League is close to being tapped out for quality, it doesn''t look promising when you have to turn to the MLS.  Much prefer a more robust youth program to build the foundation of a solid Premier team.

A bit of a random rumour, perhaps there is some truth in it. i just read he had a trial with Spurs back in November but he also signed a new contract in Jan. Suppose to be one of the best young players in the MLS. I know the standard is not great there, but more quality footballers are going to come from the states as football continues to grow as a sport there, i wonder if there could be a few potential players in the MLS at the min.On another note, does anyone know what happened to Freddy Adu (i think that was his name), was supposed to be one the most promising youngsters a fair few years ago.

[quote user="priceyrice"]A bit of a random rumour, perhaps there is some truth in it. i just read he had a trial with Spurs back in November but he also signed a new contract in Jan. Suppose to be one of the best young players in the MLS. I know the standard is not great there, but more quality footballers are going to come from the states as football continues to grow as a sport there, i wonder if there could be a few potential players in the MLS at the min.On another note, does anyone know what happened to Freddy Adu (i think that was his name), was supposed to be one the most promising youngsters a fair few years ago.[/quote]Exactly what I''m saying.  I would think that a 20 year old Honduran with the said potential would be playing in Europe at this point.  Quality at that age would mean a Henri Lansbury or Dani Pacheco not an Andy Najar or Freddy Adu.  Can these lads become quality, absolutely but I''d rather the club spend the time and money closer to home.

Most of these players who are going to be the next so and so, more often than not seem to end up being average... And the next Sanchez? Isn''t he still fairly young, yeah just checked, 23.... Why would someone say this player is going to be the next Sanchez, when he''s not even a fully developed player himself...

Could be something in it, but I doubt it. As for the quality of the MLS, I think its improving, and decent players can crop up anywhere. And ELF, I don''t think there is any problem with looking at players from any league, Lansbury, one you mention, is probably going to cost a few million, if Arsenal even want to sell (not sure on that, constantly loaning him out could mean they don''t really want him, but are keeping him on the books just in case, or could mean they just don''t have the space to develop him themselves, so are getting other clubs to do it and do want him back...) Najar, would probably cost a lot less, if they are similar in quality, then what does it matter where they come from?

And the mention of a youth academy, I thought we already had a decent one, I think once you have the money and coaching experience in place its just about spotting the talent first and making sure bigger clubs don''t snatch the players...

Fair points Ginger  [Y].  I don''t have any problems looking elsewhere and I agree decent players can be found anywhere.  There''s a few striking lads here in St. Lucia but is it in the best interests of the Club to spend valuable time and quid on cheaper U21''s who have never played a lick of European football?  What''s a good success rate for these types of players, 1%, 5%, 10%?  City does have a decent youth program but it can be better.As for Lansbury and/or Pacheco, I was merely pointing out that at roughly the same age, U21''s playing in the MLS are clearly not in the same quality.  If I needed too, I''d spend a couple of million to obtain either player than to bring in a definite maybe.  In the long run is the club really saving money bringing in multiple Andy Najar''s or one Henri Lansbury?Cheers.

I play with an American who has just moved from the States and he said the quality of the MLS hasn''t progressed that much and has remained stagnant for a few years.

He said some teams like Seattle get decent crowds but it''s still a sport everybody plays when there young then as soon as they reach 12/13 and are bigger physically they switch to NFL and NBA

What i''m thinking ELF, is Lambert is pretty much only brining in players who are doing well for him, with only a couple of ''failures''. I am personally going to trust all of his signings, as even the ones I have doubted have gone on to be a part in his ever progressing project.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]What i''m thinking ELF, is Lambert is pretty much only brining in players who are doing well for him, with only a couple of ''failures''. I am personally going to trust all of his signings, as even the ones I have doubted have gone on to be a part in his ever progressing project.[/quote]As do I Ginger, that''s why PL is running a quality Premier League team and I''m kicking a ball around on the beach with a couple Lucian teens (Beer in hand of course).

For anyone who is interested in seeing him play based on this rumour (although I doubt many will be, I''m not!) DC United kick off at 7pm vs New York Red Bulls - streams in the usual places.

[quote user="E.L.F."][quote user="priceyrice"]A bit of a random rumour, perhaps there is some truth in it. i just read he had a trial with Spurs back in November but he also signed a new contract in Jan. Suppose to be one of the best young players in the MLS. I know the standard is not great there, but more quality footballers are going to come from the states as football continues to grow as a sport there, i wonder if there could be a few potential players in the MLS at the min.

On another note, does anyone know what happened to Freddy Adu (i think that was his name), was supposed to be one the most promising youngsters a fair few years ago.
[/quote]

Exactly what I''m saying.  I would think that a 20 year old Honduran with the said potential would be playing in Europe at this point.  Quality at that age would mean a Henri Lansbury or Dani Pacheco not an Andy Najar or Freddy Adu.  Can these lads become quality, absolutely but I''d rather the club spend the time and money closer to home.
[/quote]

Says the man from Saint Lucia.