Sign in to follow this  
spencer 1970

Wigan team/match thread

(its so nice to have it in all in one place)

So...Team? Does Wilbrahamovich deserve a start? I''d say not yet, lets do that when we are mathematically safe. I wasnt at the Stoke game so cant comment on Howson yet. R.Bennett? mmm? the current 2 have been pretty decent so I''d say...

Ruddy

Naughton Ward Whitbread Drury (switch Naughts and put martin in if Adam is injured)

Fox, Pilks, Hoolahan, Surman,

Holt, Jackson.

It''s the best passing team we have, and I reckon that is key against Wigan.

Can''t really argue with that team.

If Morison is over his injury I may start him instead of Jackson.

I dear say Lambert will surprise us though!

Naughton to stay LB to counteract Moses,Wiga\n''s only class act.

Where does Moses play as he gave Russ a torrid time on the opening day when he played left wing. Is he like Pilks and can play either side?

How about a 4-3-3 set up like Swansea to really attack Wigan?

Ruddy

Naughton Whitbread Ward(ayala if fit, read he was fit im sure) Drury

Fox

Hoolahan, Surman

Benno                           Pilks

Holt

Agree Moses is their most dangerous player, can be a real handful. Stick Naughton on whatever side the former is playing.

Rodallega blows hot and cold and other then a few great long-range efforts that''s their goal threat dealt with.

The other end relies on Al Habsi making wonder saves although he''s not great on crosses. I''d start with Holt and Morison and once more bombard the box.

[quote user="pete"]Naughton to stay LB to counteract Moses,Wiga\n''s only class act.[/quote]

Drury will be able to deal with Moses. Plus Moses could be playing either side, or in the middle. I think Drury is still the best defensive full back we have at the club, the other three are only ''better'' because of there all round game, Drury was never that good at attacking, but now he''s just not got it in him at all really.

No idea what team Lambert will play, I think he''ll go back to the diamond today though. Maybe with Howson at the top.

As long as we don''t play the diamond formation (now waits for Lambert to do that and we win convincingly) then I''m sure we should pick up all three points. Fox and Hoolahan to both start would be nice.

The key point for me is whether Fox will start, I thought we were miles better at Stoke once he came on.

Ruddy

Naughton, Whitbread, Ward, Drury

Fox

Pilkington, Surman,

Hoolahan

Holt, Jackson

Subs: Steer, R Martin, R Bennett, Johnson, E Bennett, Morison, Wilbraham

That''s my squad for today!

-----------------Ruddy-----------------Naughton---Ward---Whitbread---DruryBennett-----Fox---Surman----Pilkington-------------Holt---Morison------------Possibly Johnson in the centre with Pilks on the right and Surman on the left but this is the team id like to see. Bennett to help out Naughton with the threat of Moses (or swap him with Pilks if Moses is playing on the right) and two target men up front to start with to get at them.

Most of these teams don''t include Howson,I would be very surprised if Sir Paul doesn''t start him.

Hopefully he will play Fox,as he seems to be the key to if we pass/play very well or not.I think

Ruddy

Naughton-Ward-Whitbread-Drury

Pilks-Fox-Howson-Surman

Holt-Wilbraham

I would start with

Ruddy

Naughton  Whitbread Bennett Drury

Fox

Pilkington     Surman

Hoolahan

Holt     Morison 

Subs

Steer;  Martin, Barnett, Bennett, Howson, Jackson, Wilbraham (Vaughan if fit)

ps - def dont want to see Holt start as the lone striker - his performances in the role are amongst his poorest,  he has yet to score in that role and our record is not great with him at the tip.  

IF we are go play a 5 man midfield I feel it should be Morison - but diamond 442 with our two top scorers starting for me 

Not sure about the precise personnel, but either a 4-4-2 or (my vague preference) some variation on 4-4-1-1. Not the (over-) attacking 4-3-1-2 that I am sure Lambert will choose...[;)]

I think attitude today is as important as the player''s named on team sheet.

We should be totally at it and in their face from first minute, when we score, just keep at it and try to send them down.

We have to dominate from start to finish and kill their spirit.

Wad do I know anyway....

So actual team is

:#ncfc starting 11 v Wigan - Ruddy, Drury, Whitbread, Crofts, Holt (C), Jackson, Surman, Hoolahan, Fox, Ward, Naughton.

That would be the diamond I should think. See what Crofts is like now, hasn''t played for a while (or at least seems like he hasn''t played for a while).

#ncfc subs - Steer, Martin, Johnson, Morison, Pilkington, Bennett, Wilbraham.

No Howson...

Not really a fan of the diamond in the prem, but if the midfield clicks it can work well. It''s quite interesting to see that we are 2/3 of the season in and our starting line-up is almost identical to what it was in the champ.

must admit, have some concerns and does look very cahmpionship like.

i like the threat of both pilkington and bennet and woukd rather see them at the expense of crofts and dare i say it hoolahan

having said that, put a lot more faith in lamberts judgement over mine!!

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]As long as we don''t play the diamond formation (now waits for Lambert to do that and we win convincingly) then I''m sure we should pick up all three points. Fox and Hoolahan to both start would be nice.[/quote]

Hopefully the latter will come true now.

The diamond (and hence Wes) is extremely effective against the smaller sides.

Bottom of the table: 4-1-2-1-2

Mid-table: 4-4-2

Top of the table: 4-5-1

Can''t believe people don''t have faith in the diamond, its been Lambert''s go to formation, and has worked in the premiership...

just feel the diamond is totally reliant on hoolahan

great if he is on from but if its one of those days when things dont work for him we struggle

GP, cast your mind back to the away game at Wigna right at the start of the season. Remember how effective the diamond was then?

Yes, we have grown as a club, team bonding etc. However, I am quite apprehensive about its use against Wigan.

But like I said, I would much rather Lambert proved me wrong and we win convincingly.

We were better than Wigan that day, drew because of a 50/50 penalty decision, after a silly mistake from De Laet. It was most of the players, and the managers first premiership game.

Anyway, the formation barley matters, we still operate in a similar fashion. When we play with two wingers, they don''t spend the whole game pushing past the full backs and whipping in crosses do they?

I am ok with the diamond - depending on who is in the line up.

I dont think we peform well with Crofts starting in the middle of the park where we now lack pace.

Beyond that its a solid enough team and should take care of wigan but would much prefer to have pilkington starting instead.