Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

No 'Friend' of ours!

I think he''s been pretty reasonable so far. Letting the game flow as much as possible and compared to some of the ''referees'' we''ve had he''s been good.

I wouldn''t have been happy if those ''penalties'' had gone against us so can''t really complain.8 yellows in a game that wasn''t that fiery  but most of them we def yellows.

No matter what the referee did, we still didn''t play well enough to win that game.

not sure ref got much wrong at all - balanced and consistent - we were just not up for it..

I think he was booking our players for sweet FA for half the game. Whitbread''s yellow for touching the guys shirt springs to mind - he was hardly dragging him back, more just holding his shirt. Yet apparently that''s a bookable offence.

Aside from bull**** bookings for us, I thought he was ok. Gave them a lot of free kicks which we didnt get in similar situations and gave us the benefit of nothing at all.

I''m more pi$$ed at Wigan''s pathetic, cynical hacking of our players every time they broke free to be honest. Happened 3 or 4 times. I know they''re in dire straits, and desperate for points, but there''s no integrity in playing that way.

I thought he was okay, maybe a bit card happy but wouldn''t argue with too many decisions.  That said, the wall for Pilks''s free kick was about 3.5 yards away from the ball - not that it mattered as he still managed to get it up and over and over and over.

Am i missing something here, listening to canary call seems to be a lot of abuse towards the ref. Watching it on tv, he seemed to have a mostly solid game. Most of the cards were deserved, drury''s could have been a red in this day and age. The handball would have been a harsh one to give, player couldn''t get his arm out of the way. It was also not a red by Caldwell (or whoever it was) towards the end, there was another player covering

The ref wasn''t anything sparkling, but he didn''t do a lot wrong either.And in regards to shirt pulling - it''s a foul, simple as.

Indy, I agree, foul yes, booking no - if it shows it on Motd, have a look, he was holding the shirt but he wasn''t pulling it, he didnt haul the player down, and the player wasn''t getting near the ball whether he had hold of his shirt or not.

The point with the shirt pulling is that in this case it was a deliberate attempt to prevent the opposing player from getting to the ball, whether or not he would have done is somewhat academic as it''s hardly sporting behaviour from Zak, which I''m sure is what the card will have been for.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]not sure ref got much wrong at all - balanced and consistent - we were just not up for it..[/quote]Yep. Whitbread blatantly tugs the strikers shirt, free kick all day long, crowd start shouting ''Lino your a ****''Drury goes in on their player and is deservedly given a yellow, crowd chant ''You dont know what you doing''I really dont know how referees put up with it.

Ref was fine?.??

I must have been at a different game. It was the cynical and blatant cheating from Wigan that went unpunished that frustrated me such as:

- two free kicks where their wall was walked back 8 & 7 paces and then allowed to move forward so far it was laughable

- purposely blocking a quickly taken free kick and no booking or retake

- Arms around wes in front of dug out to stop him getting away which should be a booking

- cynical foul on Jackson going through - apparently their was a covering player but even though there was no attempt to play the ball and an advantage was gained which n all honesty was not adequately punished

- three players gouging fouling wes not given from which they break and Drur ends up (rightly) being booked

Overall he was weak and every decision appeared to go their way.

All that said we were poor and lucky to get a point

To be honest Jem if you think every decision appeared to go their way then I would say that you have an extreme case of the yellow and green tinted glasses. I am sure if you tried hard enough there were several things that went in our favour.To me the only baffling decision was the quick free kick that got blocked. It should have been retaken. Other than that there is little to complain about in my book. But agree to disagree and all that..

Trent, the foul count was 12 against us, 8 against them....

It was about 12-5 in about the 85th minute if i recall correctly - the first booking for them came in the 79th minute, following which they had 3 more, mainly for their cynical hacks as we were about to go through on goal.

Were we really dirty today in the first 85minutes compared to Wigan? I didn''t think so. 12-5 on the foul count would indicate we were according to Mr Friend, giving them more than double the number of free kicks....

I''m looking forward to seeing some of these "Fouls" we conceded again on MOTD2.

[quote user="Trent Canary"]To be honest Jem if you think every decision appeared to go their way then I would say that you have an extreme case of the yellow and green tinted glasses. I am sure if you tried hard enough there were several things that went in our favour.

To me the only baffling decision was the quick free kick that got blocked. It should have been retaken. Other than that there is little to complain about in my book.

But agree to disagree and all that..
[/quote]

Trip to Specsavers recommended for you. When a free kick is awarded in the "D", two yards outside the penalty area, there is absolutely no need for a referee to take 10 steps of two feet each to decide where the wall is to be placed. From his training, presumably he can recall that the wall has to be ten yards from the ball and that the penalty spot is six yards from the edge of the year. Given a basic knowledge of arithmetic, I would imagine that he can work out that 10-2-6 = 2, i.e. the wall should be two yards behind the penalty spot, i.e 10 yards from the goalline. We were actually faced with a wall than was in advance of the penalty spot and edging forward, in effect about 7 yards.

In the first half, Holt cushioned a header for Crofts to volley. The shot took a big deflection, taking it over the bar. Result? Goal kick. In the second half, with Wigan on the attack, Moloney, in perfect isolation, miscontrolled a cross behind. The referee was in a state of confusion, apparently unaware of what this meant and how to restart the game. Moloney saw this, picked the ball up and ran to the corner post. O.k. then, let''s have a corner.

And don''t start me on the free kick that got blocked from two yards with Gomez deliberately raising his leg to do so. Automatic yellow card not "play on, everything is all right". Worst of the season.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

Trip to Specsavers recommended for you. When a free kick is awarded in the "D", two yards outside the penalty area, there is absolutely no need for a referee to take 10 steps of two feet each to decide where the wall is to be placed. From his training, presumably he can recall that the wall has to be ten yards from the ball and that the penalty spot is six yards from the edge of the year. Given a basic knowledge of arithmetic, I would imagine that he can work out that 10-2-6 = 2, i.e. the wall should be two yards behind the penalty spot, i.e 10 yards from the goalline. We were actually faced with a wall than was in advance of the penalty spot and edging forward, in effect about 7 yards.

In the first half, Holt cushioned a header for Crofts to volley. The shot took a big deflection, taking it over the bar. Result? Goal kick. In the second half, with Wigan on the attack, Moloney, in perfect isolation, miscontrolled a cross behind. The referee was in a state of confusion, apparently unaware of what this meant and how to restart the game. Moloney saw this, picked the ball up and ran to the corner post. O.k. then, let''s have a corner.

And don''t start me on the free kick that got blocked from two yards with Gomez deliberately raising his leg to do so. Automatic yellow card not "play on, everything is all right". Worst of the season.

[/quote]Yep. Pretty spot on there.While I''m not too bothered about the minor decisions in the game ( they probably even themselves out eventually), these are some big decisions to get wrong.Not only was the 10 yards measured far too short, but the whole wall continued to edge forward. It''s blatant cheating, and ignoring the ref''s instructions, yet he completely ignores it. One warning, then book the lot of ''em IMO. Of course this will never happen, but players would get the picture pretty soon if ref''s suddenly grew some balls.As for the blocked free kick...not only should that have been a booking for Gomez, but it then led on to Hoolahan being booked as he attempted to win the ball back.

I would say the ref was ok, yes he made a couple of obvious mistakes but none of them were particularly important. if he made a mistake that was hugely costly to one of the sides i could understand the frustration towards him, as it was, he made a couple of mistakes but seemed to be even out both sides.I think there will be differing opinions based on who watched ont v and who watched at the game. It''s a lot easier to get frustrated with a ref when you are at the game and you don''t have the option of a replay.

the only issue i got is how he didnt give a penalty for Handball from Holt''s shot!even Stevie Wonder would have seen that

[quote user="priceyrice"]Am i missing something here, listening to canary call seems to be a lot of abuse towards the ref. Watching it on tv, he seemed to have a mostly solid game. Most of the cards were deserved, drury''s could have been a red in this day and age. The handball would have been a harsh one to give, player couldn''t get his arm out of the way. It was also not a red by Caldwell (or whoever it was) towards the end, there was another player covering[/quote]Agreed: Drury''s tackle could have easily got him sent off.  He gave yellow for short pulling for both sides. Generally, he did not like the so called "tactical" faults.

Lest not forget we had Friend referee the Villa v Norwich game he booked Pilkington for questioning a linesmans decision but when Villas Warnock done exactly the same told him to calm down not a booking. Friend also booked Hoolahan after taking a quick free kick that was intercepted only a couple of yards from where it was taken from allowed play to continue then booked Hoolahan for arguing.

Yesterday he booked Holt after his altercation with the Wigan player but completely missed the elbow in the back of Holts head that led to his frustration.

Cannot understand how the Wigan player stayed on the pitch after cynically stopping Jacksons run that had absolutely nothing to do with football. The tackle on Hoolahan where he was lifted off the ball shows just how little respect the players have for Friend knowing they can get away with anything.

Friend like many other referees has double standards and until the FA bring in consistency and ensure the same rules are applied every week to the same standards then not much will change.

[quote user="priceyrice"]I would say the ref was ok, yes he made a couple of obvious mistakes but none of them were particularly important. if he made a mistake that was hugely costly to one of the sides i could understand the frustration towards him, as it was, he made a couple of mistakes but seemed to be even out both sides.

I think there will be differing opinions based on who watched ont v and who watched at the game. It''s a lot easier to get frustrated with a ref when you are at the game and you don''t have the option of a replay.
[/quote]

I assume you watched it on tv. Please tell me you didn''t "watch" it on the radio.

Sorry all, but nothing to convince me he had a terrible game. If we were Wigan fans, or if the decisions were reversed, would you all be saying the same things?Few bits - The block on Hoolahan. Definite booking, never a sending off in a million years - If it was the other way round you would agree.The handball from Holts shot - Again one team would say its deliberate and therefore a penalty, the other fans would say it was a natural reaction and was blocking the face. I actually thought it could have been given, but I know full well if it was the other way round and a penalty was given everyone would be moaning about it on here.Again, nothing to convince me he had a bad game.  I am sure if I nit-picked through the whole game I could pick out several decisions that went in our favour. But as I mentioned earlier on the thread, football fans are incredibly biased towards their team and any decision that goes against them is met with the usual boos and chanting, even if it is correct. They cant win either way.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="priceyrice"]I would say the ref was ok, yes he made a couple of obvious mistakes but none of them were particularly important. if he made a mistake that was hugely costly to one of the sides i could understand the frustration towards him, as it was, he made a couple of mistakes but seemed to be even out both sides.I think there will be differing opinions based on who watched ont v and who watched at the game. It''s a lot easier to get frustrated with a ref when you are at the game and you don''t have the option of a replay.[/quote]

I assume you watched it on tv. Please tell me you didn''t "watch" it on the radio.

[/quote]yeah, sorry i meant tv, space got put in the wrong place. It does annoy me when people comment on a game based on radio norfolk commentary. What did radio norfolk make of the ref?

Trent, I may be thinking of the wrong handball shout (none of them which were stonewall) but "Blocking his face" may be legitimate when the ball is actually around a player''s face but when it hits an arm at waist height a clear foot in distance away from the body, I think "protecting his face" is a questionable excuse!!

FWIW I don''t think it was deliberate but you have certainly seen them given. He didn''t deliberately move his arm into the path, but he had enough time to get it out of the way and his arm blocked a goalbound shot.