Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

The dying art of diplomacy

I once worked on an assignement where my firm did a report for RBS who were going to loan one of Dave Richards companies some money.   Part of the assignment was spent in Richards office, at the time he was also Sheffield Wednesday manager.  One morning he did a deal over the phone to buy a goalkeeper for Wednesday over the phone.  He negotiated with the Rotherham chair at the time, Ken Booth.  Fascinating insight - there were no holds barred in the conversation, with lots of "frank" discussion of the merits of various players and even the respective managers of the two clubs at the time.  This article therefore doesn''t surprise me in the least - actually the focus on alcohol seems to be the key reason for the direction the "rant" took.  I too only fall into swimming pools when I''ve had a few. 

Anyway, generally agree with what he said!  However he''s been there too long - like in other walks of life it should be a time limited appointment - no more than 6 years.  After that it goes to your head.