Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Anyone else think we played a Spurs side...

at the top of their game? I''m watching now, but have watched them a few times over the last month, they look very average in recent form.

They absolutely battered Everton in the 2nd half, and on another night could of easily won.

They had far more possession, restricted Everton to zero corners and had over 20 shots. They are clearly having a bad run, whether that is a run of poor luck, or poor form, is up for debate.

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]Amazing how fickle football fans are. Rednapp is perfect for England imo. Let''s hope our mini poor run turns into a big problem then Lambert won''t go anywhere then hey?[/quote]I would like to see Harry as England manager, think he''s a bit of a sleaze bag, but as the England manager i would embrace him with open arms.

[quote user="whoareyou"]Redknapp is not the answer to England''s problems. I think the last few weeks may have shown that.[/quote]agreedi also think the spurs players have "Given up" for want of a better term.Redknapp has been linked with England and their form has dipped... it cant be a coincidence.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="whoareyou"]Redknapp is not the answer to England''s problems. I think the last few weeks may have shown that.
[/quote]

agreed

i also think the spurs players have "Given up" for want of a better term.

Redknapp has been linked with England and their form has dipped... it cant be a coincidence.
[/quote]

Absolutely - it''s a perfect example of what happens when your manager is seriously linked with another job.

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]Amazing how fickle football fans are. Rednapp is perfect for England imo. Let''s hope our mini poor run turns into a big problem then Lambert won''t go anywhere then hey?[/quote]

1 or  2 noteworthy trophies in 30 years of management, rarely beats the big teams and heavily reliant on being able to buy and sell players to shape his team....

...yup, couldn''t think of anyone better for the England job.

I didn''t think spurs were that great against us. Apart from Bale they looked good in spells, but not fantastic.    I don''t particularly rate Redknapp either and don''t think he is suited to the England job.   If things were to go badly I don''t think he would handle it well.          He has good communication skills - up to a point - certainly better than capello or erikson, but he is no Venables.  TV is a walking encyclopedia of football coaching and tactics and is a superb man manager too.     I suspect Roy Hodgson is the man who will ultimately get the job, but  don''t think he will be that good either.      

Spurs?   As with alot of the top six teams - lack cohesion over the long term.  To me they are a glorified Villa, but punching above their weight.   (Villa are doing their best to punch below their weight, but that''s another story).    Thats why there is a chance for proper teams like Norwich and Swansea and others if they take a positive approach in future seasons.     It would be just fantastic if  the top six were to be infiltrated by one or more of the less rich sides who can prove that teamwork is better than the occasional burst of great play that you see from the ''big'' sides followed by periods of poor teamwork.     I don''t enjoy watching Man City or Chelsea for that reason. Don''t enjoy watching Arsenal because they are just a foreign team in the english prem.  Spurs have seemingly shot their bolt and Manure are relying too much on past players (although Young is a class act).  

The future belongs imo to the likes of us, Swansea, Everton, Newcastle and other clubs who have the vision and the ambition - if they keep going as they are and don''t lose their players to become squaddies sitting on the bench at the super rich clubs!    Long live the revolution! 

What about Sir Alex as England manager? I think he would do a job, but now, before he gets to old.

But would he want it? Probably not!

The problem with Redknapp as I see it is that he''s a pretty good manager when he has a settled and in form side but when injuries, suspensions or lack of form hit his side he lacks the tactical nous to work around it. When Spurs had a fairly settled front six of Bale, Parker, Modric, Lennon, VDV, Adebayor earlier in the season they were dispatching teams easily (us included) and rarely looked troubled be what you might consider lesser teams. They were still struggling to beat the big boys (which again points to Redknapp being unable to come up with the tactical innovation to give his players that extra push) but they weren''t dropping points against the likes of Everton and Arsenal.

I disagree with LDC''s evaluation of Spurs as I believe they are a lot better run than the likes of Chelsea, United and Man City. I''m pretty sure that their wage bill is significantly smaller which would go some way to explaining why they cannot mount a sustained challenge for the title or compete in both the Premier League and Champions League. I don''t see them as ''punching above their weight'' or ''lacking cohesion over the long term'' at all. I''d be interested to hear why you think they do.

The only way Redknapp is comparable to Terry Venables is in his off field demeanour. I don''t think you''ll see ''Arry managing Barcelona any time soon or making innovative tactical decisions as England manager like Venables did in Euro ''96. He has won virtually nothing in around thirty years of management but he is being treated as if he were one of the finest managers of his generation. In some ways he is lucky that the last England manager was foreign as this often leads to the media and some fans demanding and English manager next time around and there is little competition in that particular field. I''d be pretty disappointed if we binned Capello (I know he resigned but I don''t think the FA were too disappointed with that) for Redknapp. I know it was only a friendly but I certainly don''t think he could have set the team up in the way that Capello did to beat Spain and I have a horrible feeling that his appointment will mean that a lot of the young players who I would like to see at Euro 2012 won''t get that chance. I can see him bringing Lampard back into the team and playing him in the same midfield as Gerrard.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

I didn''t think spurs were that great against us. Apart from Bale they looked good in spells, but not fantastic.    I don''t particularly rate Redknapp either and don''t think he is suited to the England job.   If things were to go badly I don''t think he would handle it well.          He has good communication skills - up to a point - certainly better than capello or erikson, but he is no Venables.  TV is a walking encyclopedia of football coaching and tactics and is a superb man manager too.     I suspect Roy Hodgson is the man who will ultimately get the job, but  don''t think he will be that good either.      

Spurs?   As with alot of the top six teams - lack cohesion over the long term.  To me they are a glorified Villa, but punching above their weight.   (Villa are doing their best to punch below their weight, but that''s another story).    Thats why there is a chance for proper teams like Norwich and Swansea and others if they take a positive approach in future seasons.     It would be just fantastic if  the top six were to be infiltrated by one or more of the less rich sides who can prove that teamwork is better than the occasional burst of great play that you see from the ''big'' sides followed by periods of poor teamwork.     I don''t enjoy watching Man City or Chelsea for that reason. Don''t enjoy watching Arsenal because they are just a foreign team in the english prem.  Spurs have seemingly shot their bolt and Manure are relying too much on past players (although Young is a class act).  

The future belongs imo to the likes of us, Swansea, Everton, Newcastle and other clubs who have the vision and the ambition - if they keep going as they are and don''t lose their players to become squaddies sitting on the bench at the super rich clubs!    Long live the revolution! 

[/quote]

I think that is a pretty misguided statement. Spurs have probably the 2nd best ''first'' 11 players in the Premier League this season - only bettered by Man City. What they lack is a squad capable of covering injuries and with the likes of VDV and Lennon out they have struggled lately. Which Man U players, apart from Rooney and Giggs, would make it regualary into the starting 11 at Tottenham?

Although considering some of your other statements it seems you are fairly out of touch with what is actually happening in the Premier League right now.

Redknapp is very good at building a team and getting them to play well - he gets in players who are good in their position and keeps the team playing simple football - whether or not this would make him good at international level is another question.

What frustrates me about watching any of the top six is that they can''t sustain a challenge over a whole season, let alone a whole game.   The sum of the parts doesn''t equal what you see.    Spurs fantastic first eleven as some of you seem to think they are,  can only put it together when things are going well.  They, and the other top teams (MU excepted) struggle if things aren''t going their way. Only MU seem to be able to sustain a challenge overcoming all sorts of difficulties with injuries etc.   

You may think I am out of touch, but I can only draw my opinions over what I see and I stand by my statement that Spurs are punching above their weight - because they don''t have the depth of squad and ability to sustain their challenge.  Even Man S*itty with all their millions can''t do it. Chelsea can''t do it.    Where is that being out of touch?      Spurs may well be better than they have been for  a few seasons.   Fantastic team and fantastic manager?  Not in my book.   

Spurs may well be better than they have been for  a few seasons.   Fantastic team and fantastic manager?  Not in my book.   

[/quote]

Has anyone suggested they have a fantastic team or manager? They are capable of playing fantastic football at times just not consistently. I would say that there are no outstanding teams in the Premier League at the moment which is why they have struggled so badly in Europe this year. People tale about how the duopoly in Spain shows what a poor league La Liga is but if anything it shows just how good Real Madrid and Barcelona are. Athletic Bilbao showed last week that there is plenty of life beneath those two against the best team in England.

I don''t know what you''re trying to prove really although it seems that you are suggesting we have better team spirit and long term planning than the top six (Manchester United excepted). I don''t really know what you are basing this on though. Perhaps you could explain.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="lake district canary"]

Spurs may well be better than they have been for  a few seasons.   Fantastic team and fantastic manager?  Not in my book.   

[/quote]

Has anyone suggested they have a fantastic team or manager? They are capable of playing fantastic football at times just not consistently. I would say that there are no outstanding teams in the Premier League at the moment which is why they have struggled so badly in Europe this year. People tale about how the duopoly in Spain shows what a poor league La Liga is but if anything it shows just how good Real Madrid and Barcelona are. Athletic Bilbao showed last week that there is plenty of life beneath those two against the best team in England.

I don''t know what you''re trying to prove really although it seems that you are suggesting we have better team spirit and long term planning than the top six (Manchester United excepted). I don''t really know what you are basing this on though. Perhaps you could explain.

[/quote]

I agree with what you say.   I''m not trying to prove anything.     I am just disillusioned with the way stupid money is wrecking football.  I don''t see good teamwork when I watch a whole match involving  the top six.  I see occasional great pieces of skill, interspersed with players wandering around looking disinterested.      I would prefer to watch a skilful team that works for each other 100% of the time, like a Norwich or Swansea.    That''s kind of what has been happening this season in  Europe, some of the clubs which are not at the top are showing up our so called big clubs.  That''s why us and Swansea have done well in England.   We have good players, good team ethic and are not afraid of the top clubs reputations.   This season the top six  have been found out in Europe and at home.     Good.    It''s about time the bottomless pocket clubs were shown up for what they are - mercenaries with no substance.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree with what you say.   I''m not trying to prove anything.     I am just disillusioned with the way stupid money is wrecking football.  I don''t see good teamwork when I watch a whole match involving  the top six.  I see occasional great pieces of skill, interspersed with players wandering around looking disinterested.      I would prefer to watch a skilful team that works for each other 100% of the time, like a Norwich or Swansea.    That''s kind of what has been happening this season in  Europe, some of the clubs which are not at the top are showing up our so called big clubs.  That''s why us and Swansea have done well in England.   We have good players, good team ethic and are not afraid of the top clubs reputations.   This season the top six  have been found out in Europe and at home.     Good.    It''s about time the bottomless pocket clubs were shown up for what they are - mercenaries with no substance.

[/quote]

That''s not really true though is it? Yes in Europe performances having been worse than normal -  but in the League the top 6 have more points now than this time last year or the year before that or the year before that or the year before that etc. The top 6 teams are increasingly pulling away from the smaller teams in the League. Also the only two teams with spending that has been supported by the deeps pockets of an owner, within the top 6, are Man City and Chelsea - the rest are run on fairly sensible (for football) foundations and even Chelsea are becoming more sensible and shouldn''t fall foul of the FFP rules (which Roman was key in lobbying for and setting up). Man U have a net transfer spend over the last few seasons of £6m and Arsenal are in profit from transfers.

I think you see what you want to see, rather than the true reality. I would also strongly question your ''they don''t play like teams'' statement - but not really sure how anyone could prove that either way. 

Ok, there is alittle bit of wishful thinking in my argument.    But, I don''t like to think that people build up the top six over and above what is real.   Often this season we have seen that these clubs can be challenged and the more people believe this, the better.  The impression has been, since we were promoted, that the top six are somehow in a league of their own - and I have been vehemently disputing this all season.    While they are there on merit and because they have better players, it should still be the attitude of every club in the league that they should be able to beat these teams.  

I am not an expert but what I see in the top six is some great players who can turn it on at times and other times when teamwork is, well, just - poor. There is no other word for it.   Poor.    The kind of play that would drive fans at Norwich mad if it was done by their players.   MU were poor at Old Trafford.   Man City didn''t turn up at Swansea - why not - because they don''t have a team ethic.  

My biggest hope for premiership football is that the up and coming teams with younger managers  will break this self protected (by money) monopoly, and that the top six can be infiltrated and  that  likely it will be that a smaller, well run  club who will be able to make a sustained challenge.  The premiership would be a better place imo.

I am not an expert but what I see in the top six is some great players who can turn it on at times and other times when teamwork is, well, just - poor. There is no other word for it.   Poor.    The kind of play that would drive fans at Norwich mad if it was done by their players.   MU were poor at Old Trafford.   Man City didn''t turn up at Swansea - why not - because they don''t have a team ethic.  

[/quote]

Or they are a team full of human beings rather than robots who can be relied upon to play in exactly the same manner week after week. Norwich have underperformed in games this season so does that mean we don''t have a team ethic either? Newcastle look like they may take the place of Liverpool this season but is it down to them having a better team ethic than Liverpool? Or is it down to Kenny Dalglish signing a few duds? I like what Pardew has done at Newcastle but if Liverpool had spent the Torres money more wisely they would most likely be above Newcastle now. I''d love for your prophecy to come through and for a team like Norwich (preferably Norwich [;)]) to break in to the top six. But as things stand we would need to spend an awful lot of money to do so. Our team spirit simply would not be enough to bridge the gap.

[/quote]

Or they are a team full of human beings rather than robots who can be relied upon to play in exactly the same manner week after week. Norwich have underperformed in games this season so does that mean we don''t have a team ethic either? Newcastle look like they may take the place of Liverpool this season but is it down to them having a better team ethic than Liverpool? Or is it down to Kenny Dalglish signing a few duds? I like what Pardew has done at Newcastle but if Liverpool had spent the Torres money more wisely they would most likely be above Newcastle now. I''d love for your prophecy to come through and for a team like Norwich (preferably Norwich [;)]) to break in to the top six. But as things stand we would need to spend an awful lot of money to do so. Our team spirit simply would not be enough to bridge the gap.

[/quote]

I''ve got to say that the amount of wages the top six team players will be getting, I would expect 100% effort from them, as well as bringing their  ''best'' game to the table.       The fact is, they don''t.   They may not be robots, but I would expect that they at least appear to be trying.   They are supposed to be top players being paid top money.   But they don''t appear to be giving value for money.   They appear pampered, spoilt, arrogant, out of touch with  the fans,  out for themselves, show disrespect to the fans - ie. Chelsea recently - oh until last night when the players have got their way and seen off the manager - and ManC (v Swansea ) - they simply didn''t have the competetiveness.   This is what too much money has done to our national game.   

What we have done this season - and last two seasons - is show that money isn''t everything.   The top clubs are not without their problems - Liverpool are nothing like the club they used to be - time for the Norwichs'' and Swanseas''  to carry on next season where they leave off this one and really challenge the top six.    I don''t think its pie in the sky.   I think it will happen.    The foreign teams in the champions league have shown the way.  Play without fear and don''t over respect the opposition.  

Next season should be very interesting!   

What we have done this season - and last two seasons - is show that money isn''t everything.   The top clubs are not without their problems - Liverpool are nothing like the club they used to be - time for the Norwichs'' and Swanseas''  to carry on next season where they leave off this one and really challenge the top six.    I don''t think its pie in the sky.   I think it will happen.    The foreign teams in the champions league have shown the way.  Play without fear and don''t over respect the opposition.  

[/quote]

This I agree with. I was thinking the other night that there is something that links Norwich, Swansea, Napoli and Athletic Bilbao (or rather the managers of those clubs) and that is that none of them are reactive sides. The old guard have changed over the years (particularly in Europe) to become more negative when they come up against sides they perceive to be their equal or better. This attitude has filtered its way down to the smaller clubs so that hardly anyone goes to Old Trafford and has a go at attacking. The managers of the four clubs above simply refuse to buy into that idea (Lambert against Man City apart) and it is very refreshing to see. I''ve got quite a lengthy post in my head which attempts to try and explain this a bit better but am struggling to find the time to produce it at the moment.

[/quote]

This I agree with. I was thinking the other night that there is something that links Norwich, Swansea, Napoli and Athletic Bilbao (or rather the managers of those clubs) and that is that none of them are reactive sides. The old guard have changed over the years (particularly in Europe) to become more negative when they come up against sides they perceive to be their equal or better. This attitude has filtered its way down to the smaller clubs so that hardly anyone goes to Old Trafford and has a go at attacking. The managers of the four clubs above simply refuse to buy into that idea (Lambert against Man City apart) and it is very refreshing to see. I''ve got quite a lengthy post in my head which attempts to try and explain this a bit better but am struggling to find the time to produce it at the moment.

[/quote]

I only saw the game on a stream, but wasn''t that the problem against Spurs, that Lambert was too optimistic in his team selection? He should have been more respectful, for want of a better word? Against the team with one of the best midfields/attacks in the PL (Modric, Parker, VdV, Bale etc) and which was in top form he played Hoolahan, Holt and Morison and so ceded control of the game. If that kind of line up (Hoolahan, Holt and Jackson) didn''t work against Wigan, it was never going to work against Spurs.

I like the idea of not being overly respectful to the big-name clubs, but sometimes it needs to be tempered with pragmatism.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I only saw the game on a stream, but wasn''t that the problem against Spurs, that Lambert was too optimistic in his team selection? He should have been more respectful, for want of a better word? Against the team with one of the best midfields/attacks in the PL (Modric, Parker, VdV, Bale etc) and which was in top form he played Hoolahan, Holt and Morison and so ceded control of the game. If that kind of line up (Hoolahan, Holt and Jackson) didn''t work against Wigan, it was never going to work against Spurs.

I like the idea of not being overly respectful to the big-name clubs, but sometimes it needs to be tempered with pragmatism.

[/quote]

I just think that you should go in to a game with a totally positive approach.   As soon as you give the opposition any credence, you are starting to undermine your own approach.  I''m not talking kami-kazi tactics (like Blackpool) - I''m simply saying you don''t let the opposition get under your skin.    The way  to beat the top sides is to play - like we did at MU - have a go -  and if the opposition haven''t got the stomach for it (like MCity at Swansea) then say thank you very much, we''ll have this match.    PL says he always go out to try and win  - sometimes I think he tempers this with caution.  You can''t really knock what he has done, but in an ideal scenario - with a strong squad and the confidence gained from this season - maybe we will see a more adventurous approach, more often, next season. We have done it on several occasions this season and it does work.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I just think that you should go in to a game with a totally positive approach.   As soon as you give the opposition any credence, you are starting to undermine your own approach.  I''m not talking kami-kazi tactics (like Blackpool) - I''m simply saying you don''t let the opposition get under your skin.    The way  to beat the top sides is to play - like we did at MU - have a go -  and if the opposition haven''t got the stomach for it (like MCity at Swansea) then say thank you very much, we''ll have this match.    PL says he always go out to try and win  - sometimes I think he tempers this with caution.  You can''t really knock what he has done, but in an ideal scenario - with a strong squad and the confidence gained from this season - maybe we will see a more adventurous approach, more often, next season. We have done it on several occasions this season and it does work.