Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

Team I would select v Newcastle

I''d start with 4-4-1-1 formation:                  Holt           WesPilks Fox Johnson BennettDrury Whitbread Ward Naughton                  RuddyI think that it is important to keep Pilks & Bennett on the pitch as they can score goals and get crosses into the box. The team looks a lot more solid when Bennett plays on the right, and he links up very well with Naughton.

I can easily see us playing 4-5-1, but Morison is better at playing the lone role. So for me, I would have Morison in place of Holt and injury permitting, Ayala in place of Ward.

Lets go with what i think may be our strongest 11 (with the exception of missing Tierney)    RuddyNaughten  Whitbred   Bennett   DruryBennett   Fox   Howson   Pilky    Holt      MorroLets get the ball into the area from wide positions as quickly as possible, this formation is the best way to do that and leaves two big forwards to put them in the back of the net. The Toon are still missing their best defender so i think Holt and Morro will cause a lot of problems.I know the midfield does not have any exceptional tacklers, but i am not going to include johnson or crofts for that reason because i really don''t think they are better at tackling and tracking than any of our other midfielders. As long as the midfield works hard, it does not need to be particularly strong for this game

[quote user="priceyrice"]Lets go with what i think may be our strongest 11 (with the exception of missing Tierney)    RuddyNaughten  Whitbred   Bennett   DruryBennett   Fox   Howson   Pilky    Holt      MorroLets get the ball into the area from wide positions as quickly as possible, this formation is the best way to do that and leaves two big forwards to put them in the back of the net. The Toon are still missing their best defender so i think Holt and Morro will cause a lot of problems.I know the midfield does not have any exceptional tacklers, but i am not going to include johnson or crofts for that reason because i really don''t think they are better at tackling and tracking than any of our other midfielders. As long as the midfield works hard, it does not need to be particularly strong for this game[/quote]

That would do fo me Pricey, I fear the Arsenal factor will be a big one in this game,at least for the first 20,but still think we should go with 2 up front and try to outscore them.

[quote user="priceyrice"]Lets go with what i think may be our strongest 11 (with the exception of missing Tierney)    RuddyNaughten  Whitbred   Bennett   DruryBennett   Fox   Howson   Pilky    Holt      MorroLets get the ball into the area from wide positions as quickly as possible, this formation is the best way to do that and leaves two big forwards to put them in the back of the net. The Toon are still missing their best defender so i think Holt and Morro will cause a lot of problems.I know the midfield does not have any exceptional tacklers, but i am not going to include johnson or crofts for that reason because i really don''t think they are better at tackling and tracking than any of our other midfielders. As long as the midfield works hard, it does not need to be particularly strong for this game[/quote]

A poor game against Wigan yes, but surman not in our strongest 11?

That said I like the look of this team, holt and Morison together sounds good and though not an obvious big man in midfield, I think howson could do a good job in breaking up play alongside fox.

Only change I would make is put pilks on the right and surman in for Bennett on the left. though I really like Bennett and feel he will come good soon I think surman has earned his place and can whip better balls into the box for holt and Morison to get on to.

Holt         Morrison

Pilkington             Hoolahan           Bennet

Fox

Drury           Bennet/ Ayala     Whitbread     Naughton

Ruddy

Subs:- Steer, Johnson, Jackson, Ward, Howson, Crofts

Against a big team like newcastle we need people who can deliver a ball for holt and morrison so bennet and pilkington down the wing.

quote user="Persnickety²"][quote user="priceyrice"]Lets go with what i think may be our strongest 11 (with the exception of missing Tierney)    RuddyNaughten  Whitbred   Bennett   DruryBennett   Fox   Howson   Pilky    Holt      MorroLets get the ball into the area from wide positions as quickly as possible, this formation is the best way to do that and leaves two big forwards to put them in the back of the net. The Toon are still missing their best defender so i think Holt and Morro will cause a lot of problems.I know the midfield does not have any exceptional tacklers, but i am not going to include johnson or crofts for that reason because i really don''t think they are better at tackling and tracking than any of our other midfielders. As long as the midfield works hard, it does not need to be particularly strong for this game[/quote]

A poor game against Wigan yes, but surman not in our strongest 11?

That said I like the look of this team, holt and Morison together sounds good and though not an obvious big man in midfield, I think howson could do a good job in breaking up play alongside fox.

Only change I would make is put pilks on the right and surman in for Bennett on the left. though I really like Bennett and feel he will come good soon I think surman has earned his place and can whip better balls into the box for holt and Morison to get on to.[/quoteI agree, Surman has been one of our best players this season, but he just lacks the natural width and pace that Pilky brings to the team, if Tierney was fit then I would prob be inclined to bring Surman in for Bennet (switched flanks obviously). I like it when we played the straight 4 in midfield against Swansea, and that  included Surman in the middle alongside Fox i think? Which i think may actually be a better position for him, if he had the right guy alongside him, i just think Howson will break the play up and put a foot in a bit more

How can Bennett (Cb) and Howson be in our best team? Seriously....

I think Lambert will go with the team from Swansea, with Moro (or super Wilbrahamovic) in for Jackson.

Because i trust Lambert''s judgement GP. He has not bought these players in to be squad players, he has bought them in for the starting 11. I expect we will see Howson and bennet starting more games than not- are you arguing that point or are you just asking how i can choose them in the best team without seeing them play many games- if the latter it''s because i trust Lambert, if the former then i really think you will be proved wrong

Ruddy

Naughton    Ayala/Bennett  Whitbread  Drury

Bennett                    Fox               Pilkington

Surman           Hoolahan

Holt

[quote user="tom cavendish"]I''d start with 4-4-1-1 formation:                  Holt           WesPilks Fox Johnson BennettDrury Whitbread Ward Naughton                  RuddyI think that it is important to keep Pilks & Bennett on the pitch as they can score goals and get crosses into the box. The team looks a lot more solid when Bennett plays on the right, and he links up very well with Naughton.

[/quote]Ruddy upfront and Holty in goal? Different, but I say let''s give it a go.

Priceyrice totally agree.4-4-2 and I would include Bennett, Ward has not been solid at the back and we do need to blood the new guy in. Although Ayala''s injury has clearly had us continue the centre back merry-go-round.That second central midfield position is an interesting one with either Surman or Howson. To be honest I think Lambert would start with Surman if he were to choose a similar team selection to I. But I think Howson has a better engine and can do all that Surman can.For me no question Morison and Holt start, we need there physicality upfront, both can run into the channels, however we want Pilky and EB to push on and get these crosses in (which the last few games has been lacking)RuddyNaughton, Bennett, Whitbread, DruryEB, Fox, Surman/ Howson, PilkyMorison, Holt

[quote user="Gingerpele"]How can Bennett (Cb) and Howson be in our best team? Seriously.... I think Lambert will go with the team from Swansea, with Moro (or super Wilbrahamovic) in for Jackson.[/quote] I would like Jacko to play actually next to Holty, with the wide men Pilky and Bennett from the start

So would I normally Fleck, but Jackson never seems to do anything productive, and if Wes can get slated for that, so should Jackson, he''s a striker, with only what 3 goals, and a couple of assists. I''m not trying to knock him, but his ''pace'' doesn''t automatically get him a place in the team, I don''t think he''s using that often enough, and not producing enough to warrant a place at the moment.

Jackson get''s so little for what he deserved. He works so,so,so hard,but never gets anything out of it.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]So would I normally Fleck, but Jackson never seems to do anything productive, and if Wes can get slated for that, so should Jackson, he''s a striker, with only what 3 goals, and a couple of assists. I''m not trying to knock him, but his ''pace'' doesn''t automatically get him a place in the team, I don''t think he''s using that often enough, and not producing enough to warrant a place at the moment.[/quote]Jackson has been very good at pulling the defence around and opening up space for others, we just seem to lack someone making those forward runs- Damien Francis and Etuhu style- i hope Howson can do that job