Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Latest from Paul Lambert's press conference

From our Paddy...Ayala and Tierney poised to return to training next week.Howson back in the mix for Sunday.

Shame Ayala not ready to replace Wardy yet.  Should Lambert try out Bennett at St James'' Park - sorry Sports Direct Arena?

Good news all round.

Wonder if Howson will play? Might be just the game for him-suspect Wes might miss out.

Two wingers and Holt/Moro in tandem perhaps?

[quote user="shefcanary"]Shame Ayala not ready to replace Wardy yet.   [/quote]

Not much of a difference is there?

Both good on the ball but both shakey defensively.

[quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Ayala is far quicker though.

Amazed at how quickly people seem to have forgotten how good Ayala looked when he came into the side. Ok he gave a few stupid fouls away but he looked like a potential £10m player in the making. Ward is decent enough but Ayala looked much better and we as a unit looked much more solid. In recent weeks we have gone back to looking much scarily open at the back. Thats not all down to Ward (formations/tactics to blame as well) but for me the Whitbread/Ayala combination was the best we''ve had this season by a long shot.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Ayala is far quicker though.

[/quote]

Perhaps. Though that suggests Ayala is very pacey, which he''s not. But he is probably bit more mobile than Ward who can be a bit cumbersome.

I''d probably back Ward over Ayala to win a header though.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Amazed at how quickly people seem to have forgotten how good Ayala looked when he came into the side. Ok he gave a few stupid fouls away but he looked like a potential £10m player in the making. Ward is decent enough but Ayala looked much better and we as a unit looked much more solid. In recent weeks we have gone back to looking much scarily open at the back. Thats not all down to Ward (formations/tactics to blame as well) but for me the Whitbread/Ayala combination was the best we''ve had this season by a long shot.[/quote]

Amazed at how very little it takes for seem to get carried away by a player.

I mean, yes, Ayala looks great on the ball but in his 9 (just 9) appearances for Norwich he''s looked dodgy defensively. Not just giving away silly fouls and a penalty but also making a mess of defending basic situations.

Whitbread has been on outstanding form and I can''t help but think that the quality of his performances have made Ayala''s look more favourable than they perhaps have been in reality.

I think there is potential for Ayala if he sorts himself out defensively because obviously he is very impressive with the ball at his feet but I think we are a very, very long way off talking about a £10m player.

[quote user="GJP"]

Amazed at how very little it takes for seem* [/quote]

*some

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"][quote user="Canaries Utd"]Nothing on Vaughan???[/quote]Still on road to recovery...[/quote]

Very sad that Vaughan is so injury prone but what a ridiculous decision it was to buy him. Everton must have laughed all the way to the bank.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"][quote user="Canaries Utd"]Nothing on Vaughan???[/quote]Still on road to recovery...[/quote]Do we know what he is recovering from Pete?

[quote user="Al Catraz"][quote user="Sports Desk Pete"][quote user="Canaries Utd"]Nothing on Vaughan???[/quote]Still on road to recovery...[/quote]

Very sad that Vaughan is so injury prone but what a ridiculous decision it was to buy him. Everton must have laughed all the way to the bank.[/quote]A calculated risk, but these sick note players seldom reach their initial potential once crocked.

[quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="Sports Desk Pete"][quote user="Canaries Utd"]Nothing on Vaughan???[/quote]Still on road to recovery...[/quote]Do we know what he is recovering from Pete?[/quote]Hamstring.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]So Ayala is rubbish, Ward is rubbish, Vaughan is useless, anyone else we can write off in this thread?[/quote]

Jeez, don''t get your knickers in a twist.

Nobody said anything about any of them being rubbish or useless.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Amazed at how quickly people seem to have forgotten how good Ayala looked when he came into the side. Ok he gave a few stupid fouls away but he looked like a potential £10m player in the making. Ward is decent enough but Ayala looked much better and we as a unit looked much more solid. In recent weeks we have gone back to looking much scarily open at the back. Thats not all down to Ward (formations/tactics to blame as well) but for me the Whitbread/Ayala combination was the best we''ve had this season by a long shot.[/quote]

I mean, yes, Ayala looks great on the ball but in his 9 (just 9) appearances for Norwich he''s looked dodgy defensively. Not just giving away silly fouls and a penalty but also making a mess of defending basic situations.

Whitbread has been on outstanding form and I can''t help but think that the quality of his performances have made Ayala''s look more favourable than they perhaps have been in reality.

I think there is potential for Ayala if he sorts himself out defensively because obviously he is very impressive with the ball at his feet but I think we are a very, very long way off talking about a £10m player.

[/quote]

You will have to point me in the direction of all these basic situations he made a mess of then because aside from the penalty at West Brom and a couple of free kicks given away at QPR and at home to Fulham i can''t really remember him making any other mistakes and I thought his reading of the game and composure was generally excellent. His performance at QPR in particular was terrific.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]So Ayala is rubbish, Ward is rubbish, Vaughan is useless, anyone else we can write off in this thread?[/quote]

Jeez, don''t get your knickers in a twist.

Nobody said anything about any of them being rubbish or useless.

[/quote]

I wasn''t getting my knickers in a twist?

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

You will have to point me in the direction of all these basic situations he made a mess of then because aside from the penalty at West Brom and a couple of free kicks given away at QPR and at home to Fulham i can''t really remember him making any other mistakes and I thought his reading of the game and composure was generally excellent. His performance at QPR in particular was terrific.

[/quote]

Tricky thing to do really when we''re not sitting there watching the game together and his last appearance was a few weeks ago anyway.

Before he went off injured in the Bolton game there was a couple of mistakes. For example, I think he missed a routine header because he got caught under the ball and then struggled to recover form it. Pretty sure in the Sunderland game didn''t do a great job of defending the 3rd goal.

It''s all a bit like Michael Spillane to me. He was touted by many Norwich fans as being a great defender, probably because they saw him win unchallenged headers and jump into a few tackles and little things like that can impress. Where''s he now? Firmly rooted to the bottom of League 2 with D&R.

Now, Ayala is obviously a vastly superior player. He has got some ability, he has got some potential and he could well go on to be a good player for Norwich. But, much with Spillane, it seems that a little has gone a long way.

Ayala is really good on the ball but if he doesn''t improve the defensive side of the game then, long term, he will not make it as a regular first choice defender in the Premier League. If his defending does come on a long way then he could be a real good player.

[quote user="Lambert is god"]

"So Ayala is rubbish, Ward is rubbish, Vaughan is useless, anyone else we can write off in this thread?"

Lambert. Not won in three. Relegation form in anyone''s book.

[/quote]

??? Why did you post this ?

[quote user="Al Catraz"][quote user="Lambert is god"]

"So Ayala is rubbish, Ward is rubbish, Vaughan is useless, anyone else we can write off in this thread?"

Lambert. Not won in three. Relegation form in anyone''s book.

[/quote] ??? Why did you post this ?[/quote]

??? Why did you post this^?

[quote user="Lambert is god"]

It''s called irony, Al Catraz. Especially given my user name.

Suggests that maybe I think the players quoted are actually pretty good, which happens to be my view.

[/quote]

And there was me thinking it was just plain old irrelevancy.

What has relevance got to do with anything? This is an internet forum, not a UN conference to sort out a world wide recession. There is absolutely nothing wrong with people posting irrelevant/sarcastic/less than serious stuff on here, its not important.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]What has relevance got to do with anything? This is an internet forum, not a UN conference to sort out a world wide recession. There is absolutely nothing wrong with people posting irrelevant/sarcastic/less than serious stuff on here, its not important.[/quote]