Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Would you be disappointed if we finished 15th?

Obviously at the start of the year i''d have bitten someones hand off if i''d been offered that. But after scaling the dizzy heights of 7th and 8th at points this year, there''d be a tinge of concern that we''re no longer riding the crest of the wave and new momentum will have to be found next season.

Not especially. I always go back to my initial expectations, which was a relegation dogfight. I have friends at work who are QPR and Wolves Fans, and I would rather be in my shoes than theirs.In a strange way it may be a good thing, Im concerned that the fans expectations are now going to shift for next season, and we will be far less patient and far quicker to get on the players/managers backs. This may be a convenient reality check.

No, I would have been very happen if I''d known that at the start of the campaign. But you always like to finish strongly, with an eye on next season. I hope we pick up again.

Like a lot of Norwich fans in the Summer I would have taken 17th by May, no problem and thankyou very much, keep the change...

The little blip we''re having now is what most teams have at some point in the season-haven''t Stoke lost 3, 4 in a row up to now, Arsenal had a losing run as well.

Yes, it would be a shame for it all to slip away a bit between now and May & for us to finish 14th-17th. But bloody hell-as has been said, would we swap with Bolton, Wolves, Wigan. QPR? No. Would they with us? Hell yes and they''d have a party with it. People are saying how brilliantly Sunderland are doing and how they''ll be pushing on now, but they''re only a point ahead of us.

A few good results between now and the end of the season would be great-for the Summer and for next season and its planning. Wolves is vital-we won''t walk it and a scrappy 1-0 win, own goal, awful game would suit me. One game at a time.

A big fat NO. What a season were having. Any way were only 3 points of swansea in 8th. 14 POINTS off bottom 3 and a much better goal difference. Happy days................ Enjoy the rest of the season and lets see where we finish, DONT FORGET 2 seasons ago LEAGUE 1

I would definately take 15th Were not going to win many now if any at all so 15th will be superb. I''d love to get to the 40 point mark, for me that will be a very, very good season. Plus it gives a realistic becnhmark for next year. I always though if we went on to hit 50 pts we''d be seeting ourselves unacheivable targets for next season, and struggle to meet supporters unrealistic expectations.

I for one would not be disappointed with 15th. Premier league safety is all I was after at the start of the season.

One more win (hopefully Saturday), and I will be a bit happier that we have achieved that.

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Not especially. I always go back to my initial expectations, which was a relegation dogfight. I have friends at work who are QPR and Wolves Fans, and I would rather be in my shoes than theirs.

In a strange way it may be a good thing, Im concerned that the fans expectations are now going to shift for next season, and we will be far less patient and far quicker to get on the players/managers backs. This may be a convenient reality check.
[/quote]

Spot on Trent. Should we finish in the top half this season being half way in the league will, in many cases, be the minimum expectation for next season. Then any time we spend below that will mean criticism of the players/managers or board. 10th this season followed by 17th next season would probably be enough for calls to sack the manager/CE/board/owners according to the scaspegoat preference.

I still hope we finish top half though. Would be great for the fans, players, manager, staff, board and owners. With the added bonus of more money in the player budget for next season.

I see your points which mirror what happened at Charlton, Reading, Ipswich, Wigan to an extent. Try and improve a little each season until 15 years when we try and win the league :P

As soon as the fixtures came out and we saw that our run in contained Spurs,Arsenal,Man City and Liverpool we always knew that we needed to get the points we needed by the end of March as the chances are that we wouldnt get many in April/May. We have just about done that so from that point of view it has to be seen as mission (almost) accomplished, anything over and above that is purely a bonus.

Even if we somehow managed to get relegated, I couldn''t truly be too disappointed in Lambert. By McNally''s plan, we should only be in our first year in the Championship since Lambert took over. But were in the Prem, and looking very likely to stay up.

A few weeks ago, we were 8th/9th, and had been for quite some time. We''ve spent a decent amount of time in 8th/9th/10th. A few weeks ago, i''m fairly sure I said it''d be a little disappointing if we don''t finish in the top half, after establishing ourselves there. I still think we can push the top half all the way, I don''t think we''ll drift off, although we do have some hard games coming up. I''m not going to be looking at position (other than top half), rather than points, if we finish 15th but 2 points off 9th, then i''d be pretty happy, if we finish 13th but 8 points of 9th, i''d be wondering what happened... I think as long as we don''t let 10th place slip more than 3/4 points away, this season has been a massive success. If we lose to Wolves, we could end up being only 3/4 points above the relegation zone come the end of the season, still a marvellous achievement based on where we were two years ago, but based on where we were two months ago?

i''d take 15th... still a fantastic acheivement and means we are well away from the relegation mix still. We have stayed relatively injury free this season which has helped a huge amount and as long as we remain in the premiership then we can look ahead positively.

15 would sound comfortable above the relegation zone. I fear with our current form we could get sucked back towards it though. We still need a couple of wins yet.

But no, I wouldn''t be disappointed, at the start of the season I''d have taken any place above the relegation zone!

I''d take 17th place right now. As I would have done at the start anything above is a bonus.

Anyone who thinks different is a complete dreamer.

Get established for the next 2 seasons then think about the top 10

15th is probably where we will finish up. I think this is great and beyond our initial expectations.Swansea however have performed better than us albeit we have done the double over them. We have been good at beating bottom half teams but to date have never looked like beating a top 6 team . Next season will however be yet another challenge we will no loger be a surprise package and it may be harder to get points than this season

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]15th is probably where we will finish up. I think this is great and beyond our initial expectations.Swansea however have performed better than us albeit we have done the double over them. We have been good at beating bottom half teams but to date have never looked like beating a top 6 team . Next season will however be yet another challenge we will no loger be a surprise package and it may be harder to get points than this season[/quote]apart from Newcastle at home!!

I would be very happy with 15th, I would be very happy with 17th. That is the aim and anything above is a bonus.Yes we are in a great position, and this little blip is good to see how we deal with this. I would think we may finish 14th this season as these next three games, blackburn and villa are games where we should be looking to pick up points. The key is to finish the season on a little high. I know I will be celebrating like there is no tomorrow when we have guaranteed premiership football mathematically.But comments on here about our expectations expecting to finish above where we finish this season is total bull. Do people not know anything about football, we will be looking for 17th again next season. Why? Because we don''t have a wealthy benefactor, we do not have a big squad injuries to Holt and Morison would leave us currently with Wilby and Jackson, we do not have a great youth system producing each and every year. The teams that will come up will have money, West Ham on paper will be a team that many will ahve as favourites over us. Why? Because a nubmer of our players have not been playing in the top flight, like Nolan, Carlton Cole, Rob Green etc. and the £££ they can command in transfer fees etc. That is why I do not want them to come up.17th is a massive achievement, we do have an opportunity to better that and that is great. But next season the aim is 17th and the season after maybe close to mid table, but we will need some finances coming in at some stage if we want to be consistently in the top 10.

I''d be a bit disappointed with 15th place.  I really thought we were going to go all out for 17th place, hopefully nailing it on the last day of the season, and in fact we still might - but I guess I would take 15th.

No!

Staying up will still be a massive achievement beating the achievements of the last 2 seasons, although I''ll be slightly disapointed if we scrambled to safety in 17th place as well as concerned for next season!

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I''d be a bit disappointed with 15th place.  I really thought we were going to go all out for 17th place, hopefully nailing it on the last day of the season, and in fact we still might - but I guess I would take 15th.[/quote]15th or 17th place I''m afraid next season is going to be a whole new ball game.A poor start and an end to the ''winning mentality bubble'' will see us struggle.... as will Swansea.

I''m going to rise to this. 

I will be disappointed with anything less than 10th.  There I''ve said it. 

AND as Liverpool have lost again tonight, 7th seems to still be within our grasp (if we had beaten Newcastle last weekend 6th would have to). 

Yep, I''m a dreamer, but unless you aim high you will always fall low.  Since Leicester I have felt we have lowered our aim too far.  With glass half empty QPArse winning tonight shows how close we are getting to be dragged back into it if we don''t get some more points soon.  With glass half full however beat Wolves Saturday and up the league we will go.

Why don''t people ignore position in its traditional sense, but in its budgetary sense - 20th is £800K, 7th is £10,800K.  That should get us Jordan Rhodes or sign permanently Naughton!!!!

[quote user="shefcanary"]

I''m going to rise to this. 

I will be disappointed with anything less than 10th.  There I''ve said it. 

AND as Liverpool have lost again tonight, 7th seems to still be within our grasp (if we had beaten Newcastle last weekend 6th would have to). 

Yep, I''m a dreamer, but unless you aim high you will always fall low.  Since Leicester I have felt we have lowered our aim too far.  With glass half empty QPArse winning tonight shows how close we are getting to be dragged back into it if we don''t get some more points soon.  With glass half full however beat Wolves Saturday and up the league we will go.

Why don''t people ignore position in its traditional sense, but in its budgetary sense - 20th is £800K, 7th is £10,800K.  That should get us Jordan Rhodes or sign permanently Naughton!!!!

[/quote]Exactly how I feel.  Being content with 15th-17th place is very short sighted.  Been middle of the table for much of the season and the loss of big time quid for the drastic slide is no positive.  17th place hopes ended at Christmas.  Still hoping for a positive run in but quite disappointed over the last while.

Ignore the events?

The aim was to get the points by the end march. Almost done that.

17th place was the target anything higher is a dream come true. Don''t be fooled by being 8th in the league. It''s points that matter!!!

Very well said Shef. Keep aiming as high as possible.Like you indicate, finishing 4 or 5 places higher is enough to add a significant fee to next seasons transfer budget.

[quote user="alartz"]Ignore the events?

The aim was to get the points by the end march. Almost done that.

17th place was the target anything higher is a dream come true. Don''t be fooled by being 8th in the league. It''s points that matter!!![/quote]I''d say that it''s bonus money that matters more to a team like Norwich City. Especially since survival has been in the picture for quite a while now.  A loss of several million quid may come back to haunt the squad next season.