Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

When we beat Man Utd 6 times out of 8. Yes , we did!!

I wonder how many fans remember (or youngsters know) that there was a time when we beat Manchester United 6 times in 8 successive league games. Yes - Won 6, Drew 1, Lost 1.

It was Alex Ferguson''s first 4 seasons in charge (starting in 1985, I think).

That lends a little perspective to our current situation, I think.

Wow.

OTBC

I remember & i think that was the season when they had just bought Gary Palister & he scored a own goal in the last 10 minutes to give us a win at Old Trafford.

..i particularly going to Old Trafford one wet August evening...got there five mins late....Gary Pallister was making his Utd debut and their team included( if i remember right) Bryan Robson, Pallister, Bruce?,Mark Hughes, Norman Whiteside...and we won 2-0 thanks to a Dale Gordon first half goal and a Flecky penalty after Robert Rosario had gone round Pallister ( Yes really )in the box and was tripped from behind... Those were the days ehh!!!

wow your right didn''t know that. that''s some stat where did you find that out. 

I remember the first game I ever saw as a norwich fan was when we beat man united in the mid80s, they must hate playing us

Situations are slightly diferent these days though BBB; Back then they were in a transitional period and were nowhere near to being THE dominant force in English football (did we have a similar record against Liverpool over the same period of time? i don''t know, but i doubt it).

Norwich on the other hand were in the middle of the most succesful period in the club''s history, a period that came to an end as United began to enjoy succcess like they''d never known.

Nowadays we are a large minnow, while they are the biggest of the big (discounting Chelsea''s expendable income) so saturday was a massive win, especially in the context that it COULD help us to stay in this league.

Many people who are fans now do not remember the times you speak of, and your attempt to belittle what to many (rightly so) is a party week, I find frankly pathetic.

i didnt know that

and god old fergie must be old

I''ll never forget a great night at Old Trafford when we won 2-0, especially as I was just in front of some very irate individuals in a corporate box.

"Fergie out" muttered the moaning reds fans as I walked back to the car!

Almost the same some 18 or so years later!!!

I cant really remember to much of the earliest games i went to in the mid 70''s with my dad but i do remember when i was bought my 1st season ticket. I missed most of that season because we moved away from norfolk within 2 weeks of the season starting but moved back again within 6 months. The games i seem to remember were 5-0 home win against Blackburn,4-0 home against Wrexham.Infact i think every game i went to during the last couple of months of that season we thumped anyone who played us ending up as Div 2 Champions. I may be wrong i have slept alot since then!

At the time Ferguson regarded City as United''s bogy team. There can''t be too many other sides (if any) who achieved the double over United in three consecutive seasons as City did.

me fondest memory of city/united matches was the classic in the 80s when norwich came back from 3-0 down with 20 minutes to go to tie 3-3 with united at carrow road.i believe whiteside had scored a couple before on about 70 minutes, keith bertschin pulled back what was thought to be a consolation. then, mick channon pulled another one back and in the final minute, during a goalmouth scramble, louie donowa, on his professional debut for us, scored the equaliser that everyone greeted like a victory.magic.

I remember beating United in the FA Cup 5th round. Gordon and Fleck got the goals I think. It was the season we got to the Semis against Sunderland at Hillsborough.

And yes, we always used to beat ManUre during that ''era''.

Take a look at the stats in Saturday''s programme however and you will read that Norwich have beaten Man Utd just 10 times in history and Man Utd have beaten Norwich over 50.

Great game indeed NYC - unfortunately marred for me by some unpleasant scuffles by Man Utd "supporters" on Riverside after the game: a similar theme to an earlier thread about this Saturday too.

Some bad habits never die.

BBB, I''m as much a manu fan as you''re a dope smoking rasta, i just find that particular quote amusing.

If you found my original post harsh i''m sorry, pathetic was probably the wrong word.

But the fact remains that beating man utd today is a much bigger thing for this club than it was 15-20 years ago.