Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

Newcastle match thread

Holt has paid the price for his performance last week - Morison in starting line up.

Ruddy, Drury, Morison, Whitbread, Surman, Pilkington, Fox, E. Bennett, Ward (C), Howson, Naughton

Surprised Ward has skipper''s arm band - hope it means shift in his work rate.

Thinking about it I''m sure Holt will be well revved up on the bench, as a Carlisle lad the one place he wants to score at more than any other will be St James'' Park.  Expect him to come on with about an hour gone to really rip the Geordies to shreds.

WARD AS CAPTAIN!! [:O] He isn''t good enough! Mistake lead to Stoke goal, and was beaten too easy vs Wigan when taken on down the wing!

Glad Holt has been dropped. Was awful vs Wigan and didn''t deserve a place.

Good idea to go with wingers help keep Jonas & Ben Arfa quiet.

C''mon City 3-2!!

Apparently playing in Green shirts again?  Think they are unlucky or not?  Really shouldn''t be an influence.  But tying this to a Sunday game on Sky and the omens seem to be agaisnt us.

You''d think it was the worst performance anyone has ever given in a Norwich shirt....

Signs aren''t good, I don''t normally take notice of things like this, but green shirts, sunday, on Sky. Newcastle have a good home record, a great striker. Still not given up hope, come on Norwich!!!

Hang on! What was wrong with Holt''s performance last week. He had no support and no service. Unfortunately he wasn''t on when we got some width. Fair do''s to Morison he played really well last week and deserves a place today.

FFS this immediate jumping on the back of Holt has been going ever since he''s been at the club.

I hope we don''t find ourselves in the usual position when Holt is not playing in that he has to come off the bench to save us!!

BTW I hate those green shirts I hope they do not re-appear in that form for next years second strip!!

Norwich 4-1 outsiders to win- deserves £20 i would say.I quite like the look of the team, interested to see Howson in his favoured position. Expect Surman and Fox in the middle of the park, Bennet and Pilky out wide with howson in behind Morro.I hope Morro picks up where he left off last week. I am guessing Holt to come off the bench to win it 2 1 City

Anyone else think Naughten looked particulary upset during the applause for Muamba- I think they would have played together for the U21

Not closing down. Giving them too much time on the ball. They''ve got all day to pick the right pass. Poor start.

Come on Norwich, time to get started, we could get thrashed if we don''t... Newcastle could have easily scored two before they got their first.

This ref gives a free-kick if you so much as touch the other player...

He could have given Newcastle a Pen though, ball clearly hit Bennett (or Noughton?) on the arm, commentators going on about intent, I thought if the army was outstretched its a free-kick/penalty, obviously not, or the ref just didn''t see it...

Anyway, looking a bit better now, but Newcastle dangerous on the counter...

Great chance for Surman...

Think we''ve been the better team overall since about 15 mins, but still Ruddy has had to make two fantastic saves, Krul, well not so much...

We really need to make these set pieces count considering they''ve conceded the most from headers and we''ve scored the most.

Also that was an amazing chance for Surman there. Maybe could''ve squared it.

Half-time.......Jackson or Holt on for Surman and let''s really make their back-line put in a shift......

Morison isn''t looking good. Haven''t seen him perform well for months. Too laid back for my liking. Scored some important goals this season, but he''s a very frustrating player. Just wish he''d try a bit harder.

He looks lazy. If he is carrying an ankle injury, like people seem to be saying, then don''t play him.

Strange game so far. We look to be gambling a lot, trying tricky little moves to dazzle the toon. I felt reasonably confident though (still do) & I couldn''t figure out why; then I realized, "they''re going to make mistakes" . Sure enough, a catalogue of errors & fannying about by them led to Moro being handed the ball just outside the area, which resulted in a decent effort by Howson. If we can hang on for another 20 mins. or so, I reckon we''ll get at least a draw.

Howson looks knackered BTW.

When we raise the tempo we look a threat. When it''s slow and pedestrian we may as well have not bothered turning up.There''s something in this game for us if all the players commit fully in the second half.

Passing and possession was very good.

When the ball is worked into wide areas neither of the wide men (Pilks/Bennett) have got in the penalty area, needs to change.

The midfield trio of Howson, Surman and Fox looks incredible at times they just need to make more runs past the Morrison so he has options.

Pilkington has looked quiet.

Substitution: Pilkington off for Holt going 4-4-2 with Surman playing wide left and Howson and Fox in the center.