Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

A catalogue of tactical mistakes

A catalogue of tactical mistakes were made tonight:

1. If we''re playing Holt and Morison up front against a team  who have conceded a higher percentage of headed goals than any other Premier League side (33%), we must be getting crosses in from the wide areas, so why did Lambert not start Bennett and Pilkington who are natural wingers and could have delievered the crosses we badly needed.

2. Russell Martin is not good enough at Right Back for the premier league, he has struggled against Wigan, West Brom and now Sunderland who all have pacy wingers and counter attack well. He actually peformed far better at Centre Back where he looked formidable and his lack of pace wasn''t capitalised on.

3. The substitutions were made too late in the game to have an impact, they should have been made at half-time when we were only 2-0 behind.

4. Bradley Johnson or Crofts should have been a holding midfield, preventing the quick breakaways which created chances for Sunderland.

Rant Over

I thought R.Martin was best defender first half (although i''m sure i''m wrong like every other opinion i''ve ever had).

Crofts and Johnson, didn''t win the ball in the first half anyway, Johnson was already holding midfielder. Don''t think them both being there would have been that different.

We just got it wrong tonight, and while reflection and criticism is fair, I don''t think we should take too much from this. Unless of course we go and lose to Bolton....

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I thought R.Martin was best defender first half (although i''m sure i''m wrong like every other opinion i''ve ever had).

Crofts and Johnson, didn''t win the ball in the first half anyway, Johnson was already holding midfielder. Don''t think them both being there would have been that different.

We just got it wrong tonight, and while reflection and criticism is fair, I don''t think we should take too much from this. Unless of course we go and lose to Bolton....[/quote]

Just post your opinion and stop feeling sorry for yourself or just stop posting. Please stop trying to be funny/clever/ironic and the perfect supporter all the time!

all the midfield were really poor tonight, possibly all playing their worst games in a canary shirt, but especially wes and crofty. i doubt if they won any 50/50 ball in the entire match and first touch was poor. no constructive passing out of defence didn''t help them, but dwellng on the ball through indecision and getting robbed, just like the start of the season. thought they had learned better.

Out foughtOut thoughtOut playedImpossible to quibble about that result. Sometimes you have to rake it on the chin and move on. Roll on Saturday and 3 points.

[quote user="Ncfc123"]

1. If we''re playing Holt and Morison up front against a team  who have conceded a higher percentage of headed goals than any other Premier League side (33%), we must be getting crosses in from the wide areas, so why did Lambert not start Bennett and Pilkington who are natural wingers and could have delievered the crosses we badly needed.

2. Russell Martin is not good enough at Right Back for the premier league, he has struggled against Wigan, West Brom and now Sunderland who all have pacy wingers and counter attack well. He actually peformed far better at Centre Back where he looked formidable and his lack of pace wasn''t capitalised on.

3. The substitutions were made too late in the game to have an impact, they should have been made at half-time when we were only 2-0 behind.

4. Bradley Johnson or Crofts should have been a holding midfield, preventing the quick breakaways which created chances for Sunderland.

Rant Over

[/quote]

I didn''t see the game, so can''t comment on those specifics. And I missed my time as England manager. Which is a way of saying Lambert knows rather more about football than I do. But, but, but. I continue to believe (based on how it has gone in other games, such as Spurs) that you cannot start with Hoolahan and Holt and Morison in the same team. It gives up midfield and puts too much pressure on the defence.

This is not relegation doom-mongering. I believe we will get over this. But Lambert does have a weakness for this over-attacking line-up, and it has cost us points.

Thing is Ricardo I can take that for the odd game but to me there was very little effort shown tonight.

All teams can have an off day but, remarkably and for the first time under Lambo, the lethargy started from the bench.

Remarkable team selection and tactics. I felt sorry for my mates who went up there. If I was fit I would have been there too. First time I''m glad my ankle''s in plaster!!

I thought Martin looked poor. There was one bit just before their goal, where he went rushing towards a ball, then halfway there seemed to change his mind, and started sprinting back towards the gap he''d left for one of their players to run into, by which point the ball went over his head and Ayala had to come over to cover for him.

Johnson seemed to be 3 seconds behind the play, looked slow on and off the ball.

On a more positive note, I become more and more impressed with Whitbread every time I see him this season. Not sure you can praise any of the defence too much when we''ve conceded 3, but he looked very commanding certainly before their goals.

Lambert is human & got it very wrong today, he doesn''t very often so no reason to worry.

The problem was the players selected in the system. The diamond requires: guile on the ball & movement off of it.

With Johnson & Crofts in the same side & especially in the diamond, we''re not comfortable on the ball and lose it far too easily.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I thought R.Martin was best defender first half (although i''m sure i''m wrong like every other opinion i''ve ever had). Crofts and Johnson, didn''t win the ball in the first half anyway, Johnson was already holding midfielder. Don''t think them both being there would have been that different. We just got it wrong tonight, and while reflection and criticism is fair, I don''t think we should take too much from this. Unless of course we go and lose to Bolton....[/quote]

Yes GP, you are wrong : )     (but only on that point)

FWIW I thought Zak was easily our best defender and one of the two or three in the team who actually performed last night.

The rest were utter rubbish and I''m sure PL will tell them today to get it out of their heads and look forward to Bolton on Saturday.

We are having a great season and this was just one of those games where collectively we got it all wrong - it happens to every club at least once during a season.

Mark .Y.

It was a poor effort all round; both strikers were poor and wilbraham impressed most, wes looked lightweight and isolated, and Crofts & Johnson ouit of their depth.

MArtin struggles against pace and the centre backs were poor too.

Just one of those games.

Personally I would not start with crofts (we miss fox) or with two up front against a team like sunderland. 4231 was the best option for me .

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Ncfc123"]

[/quote]

you cannot start with Hoolahan and Holt and Morison in the same team.

[/quote]

In one!

[quote user="First Wizard"]We need a ''leftie'' at left back........Marc T is one.[/quote]

[quote user="Ncfc123"]

Rant Over

[/quote]

1.   I agree with this but it''s easy to be wise after the event.  Lambert got this one wrong tactically, he''s still on a learning curve.

2.   Personally I thought RM did well and stopped a top winger from producing much at all.  I wouldn''t fault him for the second goal which was a header by a striker in the middle of the 6 yard box so not something you can blame on the right back.

3.   Disagree - I think it made sense to have the team talk and let the team have a go after the break.  Lambert always makes a couple of changes at about 60 minutes when we''re losing, you can almost set your watch by it, and it''s been hugely successful over his time with us.

4.   They were !

Lambert will have learnt alot from last night''s game.   He is still juggling his pack and this time found a combination that struggled.   I would be surprised if we ever see that line up again - and I think one or two players are in for a tough time over the rest of the season.

Players win matches, not formations and tactics.   Johnson and Crofts looked short individually/collectively.    Hoolahan was crowded out every time he got the ball - isn''t that something we used to be good at?       Morison has been found out with his first touch.       Defensively ok I thought, let down by the midfield really and an inability to hold on to the ball or pass quickly enough to get out of trouble.  

Jackson and Vaughn I think are going to have more of a role in the next few weeks, still think Holt is our main man up front.   Pilks and Bennet I hoope are going to be busy too,  with Howson when fit and Fox having the central midfield more.       

Can''t wait for the next installment to see what Lambert does next!

We just did''t play last night, basically. We were crying out for some power and pace to drive past Sunderland and get balls into the box, but almost every time we got to the final third the ball ended up with Ayala or Whitbread. Retaining possession is important but sometimes we''re going to need to try something different and take a few risks. Pilkington should be a starter for us.