Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Canary

Confirmation

Last night was confirmation of what I have been saying for months, Hoolahan is not good enough for Norwich as he keeps giving the ball away in silly positions.  It will be interesting to see how many goals he has cost us this season.Same goes for Russell Martin. As good as he has been over the last couple of years and as a good effort was put in at CB, he is another who keeps making silly mistakes that cost goals.As for Crofts, he is not a Premiership player and the jury is still out on Surman.  I would rather see pace in the side than Surman to be honest.So, my solution over the next 12 months or so, sell Hoolahan, Crofts and Surman with Howson, Snodgrass and A.N.Other.Russsell Martin needs to be replaced ASAP by Naughton and bring back Tierney.Apart from that all is fine!What do you think?OTBC

"So, my solution over the next 12 months or so, sell Hoolahan, Crofts and Surman"So they are still ok for the next 12 months ... or so ?

"and the jury is still out"a jury of one man ...... on the mainland it tends to be twelve

Do you just really like Leeds? Howson, Sodgrass, presumably you like Bradley Johnson?

Surman has been playing very well since the wolves game (last night is the exception). So that''s a bit harsh.

Hoolahan has also put in some important performances for us.

People need to stop constantly looking for a scapegoat after a poor performance.

Nobody played particularly well last night, to single out Hoolahan is ridiculous.

[quote user="Jersey Canary"].

So, my solution over the next 12 months or so, sell Hoolahan, Crofts and Surman with Howson, Snodgrass and A.N.Other.

[/quote]

You want to sell four of our players (one of which has not even played for us yet), a Leeds player and a mysterious other? Sounds great. Leeds and Mystery FC might be a little pissed off though.

I agree I don''t think you can single out players, most played poorly last night, but everyone has a bad day at the office!!!

Martin was out of sorts, but I also thought he was at West Brom on Saturday. Johnson played badly, Crofts I didnt  even realise  he was on the pitch. the own goal came from 3 defenders all going for the same ball, lack on comunication. My 12 year old daughter(who is also a season ticket holder) said to me just as the game was kicking off last night,"wouldnt you have thought teams would have worked out by now that Hoolahan, will run round in a little circle as soon as he gets the ball" although she has a footballing brain if she can see it surely most teams would have done their homework. I feel thats exaclty what Sunderland did Wes was given no time on the ball what so ever, hence why it appeard to everyone he was giving the ball away but most times there were two players sometime 3 players on him straight away....It was a poor performance all round, but we must take nothing away from Sunderland they had clearly done their homework & sussed us out....bit like Southampton in league one.....S88t happens park it & move on!!!!

The reason I said phase them out over 12 months is becasue you buy replacements for the first team and use Hoolahan, Martin and Surman as squad players.

[quote user="Jersey Canary"]Last night was confirmation of what I have been saying for months, Hoolahan is not good enough for Norwich as he keeps giving the ball away in silly positions.  It will be interesting to see how many goals he has cost us this season.

Same goes for Russell Martin. As good as he has been over the last couple of years and as a good effort was put in at CB, he is another who keeps making silly mistakes that cost goals.

As for Crofts, he is not a Premiership player and the jury is still out on Surman.  I would rather see pace in the side than Surman to be honest.

So, my solution over the next 12 months or so, sell Hoolahan, Crofts and Surman with Howson, Snodgrass and A.N.Other.

Russsell Martin needs to be replaced ASAP by Naughton and bring back Tierney.

Apart from that all is fine!

What do you think?

OTBC
[/quote]

I think you should apply to join the management team as they are clearly crying out for someone with your insight, knowledge and experience.

Look I can be the most pessimistic of people at times, but even I am willing to admit that last night was just a bad day at the office. Even Man Utd have had them (losing 1-6 to Man City for a start).

We will assess who is good enough to stay at the end of the season, not after one bad game.

Don''t see what Surman has done to warrant such a battering Jersey Canary. As I said on another thread I think he has been one of the better players since Christmas. Hence why Bennett has been kept out of the side.

Totally random as well. But we had two lads from Jersey on our table during the Huckerby dinner, the night before we played Swindon in League 1. Was that you by any chance?

[quote user="Jacko"]Don''t see what Surman has done to warrant such a battering Jersey Canary. As I said on another thread I think he has been one of the better players since Christmas. Hence why Bennett has been kept out of the side.

Totally random as well. But we had two lads from Jersey on our table during the Huckerby dinner, the night before we played Swindon in League 1. Was that you by any chance?[/quote]

Sorry Jacko, not guilty I''m afriaid!

Going back to your point, I am not bandwaggon hopping after 1 bad performance. Hoolahan has given the ball away trying silly things in our third of the pitch several times this season. Bearing in mind he hasn''t scored that many and he hasn''t assisted too many (he did the other day granted) so the net result is he costs us as much as he gives us. Therefore he needs to go and give Howson or someone a go. I would actually consider giving Surman a go at the peak of the diamond to see if he can play there and this will free up some pace on the wings.

Russell Martin has been left wanting at RB several times this season, Wigan being one Sunderland another and he has a habit of taking the Cafu thing to heart and try a cheeky one two but fails with the initial pass and puts our defence at risk. I like Martin''s character but he is only good enough to be Naughton''s substitute.

Crofts best position IMO is defensive midfield. His performances tailed off IMO when Fox was brought in last season and he was pushed to the right of midfield and he hasn''t been the same since. Therefore he is the natural substitute for Johnson.

As for replacements, Snodgrass - He can play on the left or at the tip of the diamond. He seems to have more of an end product than Hoolahan.

I like Bennet, he is beginning to be more productive on the wing. Pilks has been a revalation, so it''s not alll doom and gloom.

Overall I think Norwich have been brilliant and I am not being negative. I am just stating what I think should be next on King PL''s to do list.

OTBC!

Funny how people see things differently isn''t it!

Hoolahan didn''t touch the ball for the first 20 minutes.  That really isn''t his fault.  When he got it, he was often closed down by two or more players but STILL managed to hold them off and deliver a pass to keep possession.  It was certainly not a brilliant performance but it is hard to do so when not being helped by your teammates.

The people who were - and have been recentlly - below par for me were Russel Martin - needs a break from the first XI to get his edge back, Andrew Crofts - Been below par for a while, not really a winger, not really an enforcer, not really a ball-winner.  Needs a break from action for a while. Bradley Johnson has had a little bit of a dip in form recently and I think will lose his place to Howson when he is fit.

Bennett and Pilkington have been a revelation for us, despite both having bad games as all players do.  It''s not a surprise though, how long have we been waiting to have two decent wingers in a Norwich team???

I''d like to start 4-4-2 next game and change to the diamond if its not working rather than the other way around next game.  Two wingers, two tall, good in the air strikers, two passers and tacklers in the middle (Fox + Johnson) and maybe Tierney left, Naughton right - same two centre halves obviously. That should look interesting against a resurgent Bolton...