Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Never mind...we're still in the cup!

Were still 11 points away from relegation zone. But 15 games in stead of 16 left. The FA cup game had NO EFFECT on last nights performance,(other than the players who didn''t play in it, were also rubbish) and if you think it did, then your knowledge of football is severely limited in my opinion.

It was a one off, if we lose to Botlon, then come back with your silly opinions.

Wiz I used to think you where are very sensible and clever poster, who just had a slightly provocative view/way of putting it across, but this whole FA Cup obsession you have is completely unfounded.

I get no satisfaction out of this defeat, I would happily trade the cup win for 3 points last night, failure to see or grasp that is just plain wrong.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Were still 11 points away from relegation zone. But 15 games in stead of 16 left. The FA cup game had NO EFFECT on last nights performance,(other than the players who didn''t play in it, were also rubbish) and if you think it did, then your knowledge of football is severely limited in my opinion. It was a one off, if we lose to Botlon, then come back with your silly opinions. Wiz I used to think you where are very sensible and clever poster, who just had a slightly provocative view/way of putting it across, but this whole FA Cup obsession you have is completely unfounded.[/quote]

I''m sad you think that of me GP. [IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Sad/sad-049.gif[/IMG]

Well Wiz, in general I don''t. I''m even willing to accept you have your own valid reasons in your dislike of Smith and co.

But this, whole FA Cup thing is just wrong. Lambert rested a few players on Saturday, and the ones he did rest also looked poor last night. I don''t see how winning against WBA, equals losing against Sunderland. We were just outclassed, outplayed. The players are capable to playing two games in the space of five days, in fact they probably relish it.

If you have a valid reason for thinking the FA Cup game effected last nights performance, please explain it too me, as I don''t see how it can be seen that way.

And this was 3 points lost, but were still 11 points off relegation zone. And we have a very winnable tie in the 5th round. We could very easily have a game at Wembley this season, and I would be willing to bet anything that we also stay up even if we make it to the FA Cup final.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]And how would a cup loss have equaled three points last night? There is absolutely no logic in that what so ever....[/quote]

Doh.

I''ll swap the win at WBA for a win at Sunderland.......ok?[:S]

I wouldn''t....

The game last night, wasn''t a must win.. An away game at the form team, why should we have expected a win? A win or draw would have been bonus points. The FA cup win, was also a bonus win, and gains us extra income (prize money, and a possible sell out against Leicester).

Surely you can see were all but safe? Its in our own hands, winning against Bolton, Wigan and Wolves at home, along with a a couple more points here and there, will easily see us safe.... FA Cup or not, if we don''t achieve that, well it seems impossible, unless last night wasn''t a one off.

I thought it was the oldies (no disrespect mean''t of course) who where supposed to be the ones who still believe in the magic of the cup? I can''t see how the potential to be in the quarter final in God knows how many years is worth swapping for a measly (unnecessary) three points at Sunderland (who are in great great form)

If the WBA game was a League game, would you still be blaming last night on it? I bet if we got to Wembley you''d go, so stop moaning and get behind the side. 1 defeat in 7 (5 league games) and people react like we''ve just been relegated! Some City fans can be pathetically fickle!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I wouldn''t.... The game last night, wasn''t a must win.. An away game at the form team, why should we have expected a win? A win or draw would have been bonus points. The FA cup win, was also a bonus win, and gains us extra income (prize money, and a possible sell out against Leicester). Surely you can see were all but safe? Its in our own hands, winning against Bolton, Wigan and Wolves at home, along with a a couple more points here and there, will easily see us safe.... FA Cup or not, if we don''t achieve that, well it seems impossible, unless last night wasn''t a one off. I thought it was the oldies (no disrespect mean''t of course) who where supposed to be the ones who still believe in the magic of the cup? I can''t see how the potential to be in the quarter final in God knows how many years is worth swapping for a measly (unnecessary) three points at Sunderland (who are in great great form)[/quote]

No GP, I don''t see us safe at all, if that performance last night is carried over to the Bolton game, bums round here will start to twitch. 

And its Swansea away next week followed by Manure.......no, I don''t feel we''re safe at all.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

I get no satisfaction out of this defeat, I would happily trade the cup win for 3 points last night, failure to see or grasp that is just plain wrong.

[/quote]

I wouldn''t. Trade the cup win for survival in the prem - yes. But trade the cup win for a one off 3 pointer? Nah. Not just yet. Maybe if we were struggling more, but at the moment, I think we can afford one bad performance in the league and still look forward to a bit of a cup run!

Well I personally have more confidence in the team than that...

IF and its a big IF the performance (or more importantly the result) is carried over the Bolton, then maybe a slight concern can be raised. But seriously, I don''t understand how you can have that kind of negative thinking. We are 11 points clear, Blackburn despite playing well can''t beat Newcastle without their best player, thats been the case for them a lot of this season, hows that going to change? Wolves look like all their luck has gone, they''ve never been a bad side, but unless they sack old Mick, I don''t think they will stay up. Wigan are pretty much already down, bar a miracle. And Bolton, are still very much in danger. Swansea have to rely on their home form and even QPR aren''t completely safe yet.

I really don''t understand what makes you so nervous/negative. Last night was a one off, so far, of course it could be carried on, but until that happens why not expect the team to bounce back, like we have done after nearly every average/poor performance and bad result under Lambert??

Some are not too choosy, or at this moment very desperate, to find something to attack the club with.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]And how would a cup loss have equaled three points last night? There is absolutely no logic in that what so ever....[/quote]...........i mean, it''s not as if sunderland had a cup game at the weekend as well. is it?

[quote user="Gingerpele"]And how would a cup loss have equaled three points last night? There is absolutely no logic in that what so ever....[/quote]...........i mean, it''s not as if sunderland had a cup game at the weekend as well. is it?

[quote user="Bore Bore Bor"]Why would being in the FA Cup change the level of league performances?
[/quote]

In my opinion...one eye is firmly set on Wembley.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I wouldn''t.... The game last night, wasn''t a must win.. An away game at the form team, why should we have expected a win? A win or draw would have been bonus points. The FA cup win, was also a bonus win, and gains us extra income (prize money, and a possible sell out against Leicester). Surely you can see were all but safe? Its in our own hands, winning against Bolton, Wigan and Wolves at home, along with a a couple more points here and there, will easily see us safe.... FA Cup or not, if we don''t achieve that, well it seems impossible, unless last night wasn''t a one off. I thought it was the oldies (no disrespect mean''t of course) who where supposed to be the ones who still believe in the magic of the cup? I can''t see how the potential to be in the quarter final in God knows how many years is worth swapping for a measly (unnecessary) three points at Sunderland (who are in great great form)[/quote]

No GP, I don''t see us safe at all, if that performance last night is carried over to the Bolton game, bums round here will start to twitch. 

And its Swansea away next week followed by Manure.......no, I don''t feel we''re safe at all.............ah, that magic word...if.  rudyard kipling put it much better old son. if ....we win the next match will we automatically safe then. if....we lose the next match we will automatically be in trouble. god, your''e such a miserable and negative git.

[/quote]

I feel I should establish my opinion on ''safety'' further, before I get accused of something.

Were obviously not mathematically safe, and despite an 11 point lead, we could still get caught up too with 45 points to play for. But based on what i''ve seen this season, the players, the spirt and teamwork Lambert has installed in his players since joining, and his ability to bounce back from defeat/poor performances leads me to firmly believe there is such a small chance of us now finishing in the relegation zone, i''m happy to say were all but safe.

It would require us to pretty much lose EVER game from now on in and the bottom three to step up their game a bit.Check the past few seasons and teams tend to follow the same pattern. The bottom three are targeted to finish on 29 points. The likelihood of us losing all of those games is probably as likely as us winning all the next 15 games - something that would have us in 2nd or 3rd place in May.If neither of those two possibilities seem likely to happen then that is because results tend to follow averages.  So maybe some might apply those averages over the past decade or so to this season.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Its just my nature GP, I''ve always been a glass half empty wizard.[/quote]

Correction:

Its just my nature GP, I''ve always been an ( glass half ) empty wizard.

Yeah rest everybody against WBA in the cup and go out - and still lose away to in form Sunderland. Given the choice would take the 3 points won at West Brom in the league over the cup win but we were greedy and took both against a poor side. Sunderland were a different proposition and will beat all our rivals who have still to play them

Didn''t Porstmouth win the cup and get relegated the same season?

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert"]Didn''t Porstmouth win the cup and get relegated the same season?
[/quote]

As did we after winning the Milk Cup!