Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

Anyone think we played better in the Championship?

Tin hat well and truly on...... this season has surpassed my expectations and I guess any team is at the end of 38 games as good as where they are....so we must be at least as good than 10 or so teams on this logic. But apart from one really sweet move that ended with Hoolahan''s sublime cross and Surman''s finish against Wolves (our best movement and play for me in the last 2 years), some great passing play against Swansea and the fantastic headed finishes, I can''t help feeling that perhaps we played more fluid football last year. Yes of course we have better teams that stop us doing our stuff and we are on an upward learning curve...but ..at times I''ve wanted us to really be confident and play the kind of quick triangles we did last year. Any thoughts? Or am I being too tough on us? Is the best yet to come?

If we tried to out play sides in this League we would get demolished. We could try 20 plus pass moves against sides like Barnsley and Scunthorpe, but trying it against Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd etc would be suicidal! We have been mid table (mainly top half) most of the season, and people still moan!!

In the Championship we were one of the best teams which meant we were able to play in a more fluid style simply because our players were better than the rest.  In this league though we are not one of the best teams and are players are not better than the rest and we are playing against teams who are very good at stopping this style of play.

The reason for not playing like we did last year is purely because of the step up in class but we''re still winning games and we''re 11th so it is still working.

Yeah I think we did play more attractive football in the championship. BUT..... Lambert is no mug, he knows we can''t play attractive football all the time in the prem. This league is all about taking your chances and we have evolved well this season to make the most of our chances.

In the prem season under Worthy we played some really nice football but couldn''t finish teams off and drew too many games.

In summary I don''t think our football is as ''pretty'' as last season but that is a good thing.

OTBC

Of course we did, but it is so much easier playing at the lower level. The Premiership may or may not be the best league in the world, but there are certainly some top class footballers playing in it - some of them potential World Cup winners! It''s a tough league.

6-0 at home to Scunthorpe

or

1-1 at Anfield

by the way, what was the purpose behind that  ''more fluid football''  and '' quick triangles we did last year'' ?

That awful Sunderland game seems to have made everybody very nervous, including me.

Taking into account the superior opposition,  we have played some decent passing games this season and, by definition we must be playing better overall.

I know exactly what you mean and the thought even went through my head during that game and the commentator even mentioned it shortly after.

We have played some very, very decent stuff so far this season. Let''s hope it continues. Even if we do sink a bit I feel we have enough character, in the team and manager and even us lot, to survive.

I, personally, think that a win tomorrow will seal survival and am not bothered about how we perform in the process. Fingers crossed.

We''re playing against better teams in this Division!

We have a squad that in all honesty didn''t have that much experience in the Championship let alone the Premiership. End of the day we''ve got where we are so far this term by harswork and doggedness. We aren''t technically as good as at least half the sides in this Division. If we tryed to outpass most teams in this League we''d probably lose. We have to play to our strengths which are determination, teamspirit and two stikers who are excellent in the air.

I said to someone the other week after the Chelsea game - We aren''t playing Stockport or Wycombe like we were only 2 years ago!

It was always going to happen this season that we''d lose more games than the last seasons. So far we''ve lost less than most expected us to. A few results like Wdnesdays were always likely. I think we''re capable of getting at least 12 more points this season then we''re safe! 

Well that kills the conversation stone dead then Shankslad!

I agree with most replies here....if posters read my post then I''ve part answered it myself.....but people read the headline / title and respond to that, maybe that''s far enough.

However, my main interest is the last line....is the best to come?.......in the last third of the season.

[quote user="Canariesworld"]Yeah I think we did play more attractive football in the championship. BUT..... Lambert is no mug, he knows we can''t play attractive football all the time in the prem. This league is all about taking your chances and we have evolved well this season to make the most of our chances. In the prem season under Worthy we played some really nice football but couldn''t finish teams off and drew too many games. In summary I don''t think our football is as ''pretty'' as last season but that is a good thing. OTBC[/quote]

Absolutely CW. The failure to evolve was essentially what did for Blackpool last season. They tried to play the same easy on the eye football against Man U, Arsenal etc as they had v Doncaster and Barnsley the previous season.

So, I guess it depends on what you want. Slick  passing football and getting beat, or grinding out 1-0s using ugly stuff from time to time. At the start of the season I was worried we''d be going down the pretty road, but Lambert and the squad have learnt quickly, and , Sunderland asise, it''s been pretty successful on the whole.

Today will be a massive test of character though.

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"]

....... or grinding out 1-0s using ugly stuff from time to time ...........

[/quote]

Or, in our case, 2-1''s!!

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"]

....... or grinding out 1-0s using ugly stuff from time to time ...........

[/quote] Or, in our case, 2-1''s!![/quote]

Fair point Ronald.

We don''t do clean sheets.

I think one of the big differences is that last season teams had to adapt to our system whereas this season we are adapting for each opposition. As others have said i is because we were one of, if not the best team in that league whereas we are a mid level team in the Premier. We could always play the diamond in the Championship and it would force teams to change how they line up to cope with our shape.

I think generally we played ''prettier'' football last year but we are definitely better this year. Against certain teams we can play a better version of our game from last year e.g. against Swansea, but we can mix it up now and drag out a result playing ugly when necessary.

You are only as good as the opposition will allow you to be. The higher you rise the more difficult it gets. I''ve really enjoyed watching us give it a right go (Sunderland game excepted) against top notch teams. Perhaps people think we were playing better  in the Chumpionship but we are now playing at a higher level, so I would say no, based on the fact we are now playing better teams

I think the Sunderland performance has worried alot of people, myself included. It was the worst display I have seen under Lambert, With hopeless hoofball football that wasn''t even effective. But on the whole this season I would say we have recipe spot on, knowing when to play and when to mix it up a bit. Today is a massive game now we can''t have another performance like Wednesday.

[quote user="Shankslad"]

Question: Anyone think we played better in the Championship?

Answer:  NO!!

[/quote]I don''t think we played better.  We looked better because we had more time on the ball and players/teams of lower ability up against us.  As others have noted, the Burnley match in January was as comprehensive as anything in the last season.

[quote user="ryan1992"]If we tried to out play sides in this League we would get demolished. We could try 20 plus pass moves against sides like Barnsley and Scunthorpe, but trying it against Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd etc would be suicidal! We have been mid table (mainly top half) most of the season, and people still moan!![/quote]

On the basis that whilst we have the ball the opposition can''t score (retaining possession) we need to put together as many passes as possible - the only welcome interuption being when we put the ball in the opposition''s net! Just because we''re playing a top six side doesn''t automatically mean we''d get demolished.

One of the latest FA coaching phrases is ''interception is the new tackling'' - meaning players are best advised to become skilled at regaining possession of the ball without the risk of fouling someone - and interception is a fine art. That skill is not purely dependent upon the individual either; team positioning enables it to occur - and when it does, our players like Croft, Johnson & Fox look great. When the opposition do it better (Sunderland? - I only listed on the radio so can''t really say) - we can easily get over-run.

PL normally has the tactical balance right to at least match the opposition, so I''m not too concerned.

Last year we were afforded much more time and space, so of course we looked better. Just take a look at the Football League Show; it''s likely (compared to the Premiership) you''ll see acres of space, distant and loose ''marking'', miscontrolled ball skills from defenders and even basic poaching can make a Championship player look like a superstar.

However, those players who appear bright young things on TV clips don''t automatically transfer their skills should they be selected to go up a league - and that''s what makes PL''s player recruitment and points achievement at Norwich all the more remarkable.

Any of the teams promoted to the Prem this season will find the same scenario - and when they arrive I remain confident we''ll be around to welcome them!...