Sign in to follow this  
S10 Canary

Odd quote from Lambert re: Ranger's Holt offer

Just read this on Sky Sports website from Lambert about Holt;

"So while it was a flattering offer, I never expected him to want to leave. Mind you, if it had been Celtic, I would have driven him up there myself!"

I understand Lambert''s love for Celtic and that it was a bit of a tounge in cheek comment, but it''s not really what we want to hear about our talisman who continues to have a massive influence on the side. Coupled with that, Lambert knows how much the fans value him so it just struck me as a weird thing to say. Obviously he may have misquoted.

Rumour is we wanted 4m and the Rangers chairman wouldn''t sanction 4m. (This was from a Rangers friend I''m not claiming it to be groundbreaking fact)

However, if it were 4m, I''d have been tempted. 5m and they''d have had a deal in my opinion.

Or he may have assumed that Norwich City fans have a sense of humour, understand how he would want Celtic to do better than Rangers, and therefore know a joke when they hear one.

5m would still be very short in my eyes. If it was our second season in the premier league and we had a squad that knew what it was about then maybe we''d look at it. As it stands, although Holt has no previous prem experience, his prescence and leadership are worth more to us than 5m.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Or he may have assumed that Norwich City fans have a sense of humour, understand how he would want Celtic to do better than Rangers, and therefore know a joke when they hear one.[/quote]Exactly.....

Tongue in cheek.  He probably made the last comment with a wink and a smile, but news reports seldom add stuff like that."So while it was a flattering offer, I never expected him to want to leave. Mind you, if it had been Celtic, I would have driven him up there myself!" said Lambert with a cheeky grin

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Or he may have assumed that Norwich City fans have a sense of humour, understand how he would want Celtic to do better than Rangers, and therefore know a joke when they hear one.[/quote]

One of the few misjudgements by Lambert then. Sense of humour failure rampant round here.

Is Mr. Cohen still alive BTW? Assuming he ever was ...

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Or he may have assumed that Norwich City fans have a sense of humour, understand how he would want Celtic to do better than Rangers, and therefore know a joke when they hear one.[/quote]

I did note that it was clearly tounge in cheek, for the reason you''ve mentioned. I just felt it was an odd thing to drop into an interview.

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Or he may have assumed that Norwich City fans have a sense of humour, understand how he would want Celtic to do better than Rangers, and therefore know a joke when they hear one.[/quote]

One of the few misjudgements by Lambert then. Sense of humour failure rampant round here.

Is Mr. Cohen still alive BTW? Assuming he ever was ...[/quote]He''s just released a new album - after his accountant embezzled most of his wealth, forcing him out of retirement, he''s toured & released new material (it''s rumoured to be pretty good, I haven''t got a copy yet).

I watched his press conference on Canaries Player where that was mentioned, he didn''t just come out with it someone asked him what he''d have done if it was Celtic and then he made the joke.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]I watched his press conference on Canaries Player where that was mentioned, he didn''t just come out with it someone asked him what he''d have done if it was Celtic and then he made the joke.[/quote]

I see, makes more sense with it being prompted! The Sky Sports News website made it sound like he''d rounded it off with the comment off his own back.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]I watched his press conference on Canaries Player where that was mentioned, he didn''t just come out with it someone asked him what he''d have done if it was Celtic and then he made the joke.[/quote]

I see, makes more sense with it being prompted! The Sky Sports News website made it sound like he''d rounded it off with the comment off his own back.

Norwich fans mustn''t have a sense of humour especially when it concerns our love ones.