Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

thats relegation put to bed

we have done enough i think now to stave off relegation.Bolton looked like a championship side today, and a pretty poor one at that...the bottom 3 will drop imo.

Today wasnt necessarily a good performance by City but it was a positive performance and thats the the kind of thing we need to take into the next game. build on it and push on from there.

Yup, spot onIt''s that positive attitude that has taken them (us) this far.

agreed Trent.. at carrow road I''d fancy us t beat anyone.. even Man City... Something tells me that utd wont fancy coming here

Why 40 points?

Going on their current form, Bolton are going to finish on 31 points....

If any of Bolton, Wigan and Blackburn finish on more than 35 I would be pretty amazed. Something drastic needs to change, perhaps it is now even too late for a new manager (unless someone gets sacked this week, and say Steve Bruce came in, is their anyone else not in the job good enough to keep one of those teams up?). Blackburn keep ''playing well'' (although obviously not today) but not getting many points, same with Bolton really. And Wigan, well I think they got lucky the past two years, they just don''t have the quality/cutting edge to stay up this year.

I would then put Fulham, Wolves and QPR all more likely to go down than us by far. Then Swansea and WBA.

I don''t see how anyone can think we''ll get relegated now, I know its still possible, but seriously, if you don''t have faith in the team now, when have/can you?

rational thought is of no use to the superstitious and none too bright, mr gingerchap

40 points has become some kind of Animal Farm bleat for the hard of thinking

their previous one of "one competition good''

has (after another cup win) now been modified into  "one competition good, two competitions better"

perhaps their  ''all 18th place clubs get 39 points'' will become

"all 18th place clubs get 39 points, thou every other year they never have"

I''m with GP here....i reckon realistically we only need another 4 points (i think we''ll end on about 48)....but until we are mathematically safe, we certainly can''t put ''relegation to bed''

I have complete faith in the team GP, but as you yourself said, we''re not safe mathmaticthngy yet, I''ve watched too much footy in my life to assume anything.

Two more wins and I reckon its done and dusted.

The relegation mongers have been at it since day one of the season, failing to take into account the successful team we have and fantastic manager.  No-one really knew how the season would pan out, but the emphasis on 17th place has been overplayed.   The expectation that we would be grovelling around near the bottom of the table all season was never a realistic assessment of our chances - except for the media - and I think we have too many fans who are taken in by the media. 

We are a successful club and were always going to compete this season, PL has shown all his career as a manager that his teams will compete. Why should this season have been different? 

As for putting relegation to bed, no, we are not safe until we are safe, but why are we talking about relegation still?  After yesterdays performance and most other weeks this season, we should be looking up, not down..................

If you look at the current form of the bottom 3 and project that into a 38 game season they fall just shy of the 30 point mark. So on current form the bottom 3 are playing so badly we could potentially be safe already! But I think that''s being very optimistic

The bottom 3 will being to pick up some form as the season wears like Norwich did in 2004/5, so a total of 35/36 points is probably more realistic. 40 points and there is absolutely no chance of us going down. I think that would be enough to have you solidly in mid table this season.

Job done for Paul Lambert.... and now we need to do everything possible to hang on to him. Should he walk, he''ll have a clear conscience and feel he has done what he was paid for.And who could argue with that?

I like to look up rather than down and as proved by yesterdays result even when we have been beat we bounce back, under Lambert Norwich are now made of sterner stuff.  I do hope that he does stay on at least another year to see what he could achieve next season with having some money to spend in the summer.  I love the way we seem to have stopped buying players just to bolister the squad, Lambert only bring in players that he feels are better than what we''ve got or have the potential to be.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert"]Job done for Paul Lambert.... and now we need to do everything possible to hang on to him. Should he walk, he''ll have a clear conscience and feel he has done what he was paid for.

And who could argue with that?
[/quote]

Job done?   Which planet are you on?   The season isn''t finished - we could go higher, we''re still in the cup. Job done?   Are we  on1y in this league until Feb 4th?     Job done?   I would think PL''s ambition for this club is for more than one season in the prem league.   What about next season?  He will want to push on and see where we can go from here.  Sure, he could be tempted away - but there are only at present 9 clubs above us, where would he be drawn to?    I hope he is here for many years and certainly would argue that he could achieve more here over the next few years than he might elsewhere.   The set up here is made for him. 

We don''t need to ''hang on to mim'' - the only reason he will go imo is if we drive him away.

Although I am certainly not counting any chickens I have to agree with Ernie, we should be looking up. Points wise we are closer to European qualification than relegation which is a testament to this team and PL. (For the record I don''t see us qualifying for Europe via the league this year!)

Going on past form we''ve always looked up the table chasing those above us and successfully hunted down, Charlton then Leeds in league 1, the playoff''s then Cardiff last year.

Our sights should now be set on 8th and if we get there then 7th...

Just looked at next weeks fixtures the bottom 6 play each other in form or another so some must drop points so to me its another game game gone. A point next week will be massive Swansea are not a bad side but not by any means unbeatable the way P.L. has got the team playing. Personally I think one more win 35 pts will be enough. Like many are saying lets push on and see how many points we can achieve 45 to 48 is a real possibility if we keep playing as we have been since the turn of the New Year !

[quote user="lake district canary"]

As for putting relegation to bed, no, we are not safe until we are safe, but why are we talking about relegation still?  After yesterdays performance and most other weeks this season, we should be looking up, not down..................

[/quote]

Agreed LDC.  Very disappointed when the team dropped to 11th after the Sunderland match.  This team should stay and deserves to be in the top half of the table.  Anything 11th and below should be seen as a negative IMO.  I loved how the commentary yesterday just kept beaming about NCFC and the Carra atmosphere.  It was 29 degrees C here yesterday and I got goosebumps.  Up the Yellows.

Like I said in the thread I started 14 games left and 12 points clear.

If you look at the bottom five they all have less than a point per game they have played. It will take a massive turn in form for those teams to turn it about. If they all continue that they will finish on or around 35 points give or take.

I dont see us slipping up now but surpassing that 35point barrier will be relax phase one. 40points will be job done and hopefully our guys playing with a little less pressure.

If we can stay in the cup we would have a real chance to give some focus to that. And why not give the cup a real go this year?

As for beating anyone at home. Lets not get carried away. Arsenal showed us what a team with attacking class can do. Man City and Man Utd are performing much better. Thats not to say we dont have a chance but a pinch of realism needed here I feel.

Howson, Vaughan, Ward and Bennet to come back from injury and loan. What a timely boost they could be.