Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Jackson - a breath of fresh air - and pace

Needs to be far more clinical with finishing, though to be fair that doesn''t just apply to him - Surman should have had a hat-trick today.  Still, it could easily have been 5-0 today and against better teams we need to take half chances as that might be all we get.

I don''t think we have a ''best'' front pairing. You only have to see Holt and Morison together, when Moro came on, Holt almost putting a cross onto Moro''s head like he did against WBA. Maybe that works best when one of the two come on later in the game?

Jackson offers something Holt and Morison don''t, thats obvious, and now were getting firm confirmation he can perform well at this level.

Its a great time to have three strikers in form/playing well, also knowing Vaughan is coming back. We then also have goals in Surman and Pilks. Attack wise, things are looking very good for us.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I don''t think we have a ''best'' front pairing. You only have to see Holt and Morison together, when Moro came on, Holt almost putting a cross onto Moro''s head like he did against WBA. Maybe that works best when one of the two come on later in the game? Jackson offers something Holt and Morison don''t, thats obvious, and now were getting firm confirmation he can perform well at this level. Its a great time to have three strikers in form/playing well, also knowing Vaughan is coming back. We then also have goals in Surman and Pilks. Attack wise, things are looking very good for us.[/quote]

What Jackson has that Morison doesn''t is the pace and ball control to turn and split a defence.   That is what creates space and chances for other players.   Morison can score but he is more limited in his general play imo.

Attack wise we look good, I agree.   But to support that we 10 ball players out there - good passers.  It''s the overall package that is good. Even losing both cental defenders didn''t bother us.  Bolton were not that poor either. We simply did to them what Sunderland did to us.

Lesson learnt I think!

Jackson is staking a claim for a place. He''s been a great asset and deserves the plaudits...! But how we missed Pilks against Sunderland! Both important players on the attacking side. I feel we can''t just name our front two, we''ve got three good forwards playing and I hope Vaughan will be back to stake a claim too! OTBC

Yep. Think he deserves starting place now. Difficult on Holt or Morison but he adds a dimension.

Thought it was an overall good team performance today and got the Sunderland game out of our system. Got to love Lambert''s Germany experience here. Simply move on from defeat.

Football''s a funny old game! I was following the game on tv updates and the match thread. On the match thread I read that Jackson was woeful. My son in law, who had my ticket, came home and said he''d have given MOTM to Jackson. I was really pleased to hear that and pleased to read this. Jackson is yet another one who has breezed up through the leagues to perform at this level.[Y]

I thought Jackson was on top form today, played well and made up for Holt not being his usual self.

He fully deserves the starts Lambert is giving him at the moment.

For me Jackson and Morison with Holt on the bench.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

He gave the defence no peace - unsettled them and softened them up. What more do you want Mr Chops? We know he can score goals.  Surman was excellent too. You can''t score every chance you get!

[/quote]

In the Prem you need to take half chances.  Surman should have scored 1st half, Jackson should have scored in each half.

[quote user="Skittles16"]I thought Jackson was on top form today, played well and made up for Holt not being his usual self. He fully deserves the starts Lambert is giving him at the moment. For me Jackson and Morison with Holt on the bench.[/quote]

Holt not his usual self??     Thought he was as good as anybody in the team - it is a team game you know - it was a good team performance wasn''t it?     Also Holt put in a great cross for Morison and worked as hard as ever.     

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"]

He gave the defence no peace - unsettled them and softened them up. What more do you want Mr Chops? We know he can score goals.  Surman was excellent too. You can''t score every chance you get!

[/quote]

In the Prem you need to take half chances.  Surman should have scored 1st half, Jackson should have scored in each half.

[/quote]

In football,  regardless of league that you''re in, chances will be missed.  ''Should have scored'' is an easy thing to say - but in the real world it''s not always that easy!   The fact remains that the team were creating chances.  In Jackson''s case he was making his own chances - like I say - a breath of fresh air.  Morison relies on service so to a lesser extent does Holt.    Jackson will score goals, he just needs games.

In terms of mentality he looked a frustrated figure and missed some clear chances which you would usually bank on him to tuck away.

I''m not saying he has lost form completely, he just didn''t seem the clinical battering ram that we''ve come to expect of him.

I never said it wasn''t a good team performance, it was a good showing from us today!

The only criticism is that some of the players need to be more selfish and cross/shoot instead of over passing it. But given the midweek result it is understandable that some players might be under confident when shooting.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I don''t think we have a ''best'' front pairing. You only have to see Holt and Morison together, when Moro came on, Holt almost putting a cross onto Moro''s head like he did against WBA. Maybe that works best when one of the two come on later in the game? Jackson offers something Holt and Morison don''t, thats obvious, and now were getting firm confirmation he can perform well at this level. Its a great time to have three strikers in form/playing well, also knowing Vaughan is coming back. We then also have goals in Surman and Pilks. Attack wise, things are looking very good for us.[/quote]

What Jackson has that Morison doesn''t is the pace and ball control to turn and split a defence.   That is what creates space and chances for other players.   Morison can score but he is more limited in his general play imo.

Attack wise we look good, I agree.   But to support that we 10 ball players out there - good passers.  It''s the overall package that is good. Even losing both cental defenders didn''t bother us.  Bolton were not that poor either. We simply did to them what Sunderland did to us.

Lesson learnt I think!

[/quote]

I think that is the most important thing. Defenders know they can''t afford to let Jackson get in behind them and that does create a helluva lot of space. If you play against Holt and Morrison then you might be able to afford a yard if you have reasonable speed and that can squeeze the attacking midfielders for space. Its great we have 3 in form strikers.

I think Jackson actually allows the mid to play more, especially with fox in the team. Jacko''s pace means teams can''t afford to defend high up the pitch and press as much, because he is capable of nipping in behind. This in turn, creates space for us in midfield as the opposition defence are forced to sit deeper, and the midfield follow suit, leaving Fox and Hooly a bit more time on the ball to pick their passes. He also runs the channels well and his movement means their defence are constantly being mixed around.

In my book he is in the starting 11 at the moment.

Also, those who are saying Holt looked out of sorts, I thought he was a little quiet but put in a decent shift, and was unlucky not to score a couple of times.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"] The biggest impact Jackson has is something most can''t see or notice, his pace forced Bolton to defend a bit deeper & thus allowed our midfield more room in which to control the game. [/quote]

This

Have Jackson and Morison played up front together much. I certainly can''t recall them starting together. I only ask because Holty must have gone a good seven or eight league games without a goal now. Maybe a new front two is worth a look [:^)]

[quote user="First Wizard"]I  must say he did look hot and up for it today.[/quote]There''s a separate thread about homosexuality in football Wiz.

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="First Wizard"]I  must say he did look hot and up for it today.[/quote]There''s a separate thread about homosexuality in football Wiz.[/quote][:D]

If we''re playing 2 up top I think Holt & Jackson/Vaughan are the ideal pairing with Holt intelligently able to come short whilst the other sits on the shoulder.

Morison is a bit of a battering ram in the channels & more suited to playing the lone role for me. His link-up player is frustrating to say the least, he has the worst pass-completion rate in the whole league.

[quote user="kick it off"]I think Jackson actually allows the mid to play more, especially with fox in the team. Jacko''s pace means teams can''t afford to defend high up the pitch and press as much, because he is capable of nipping in behind. This in turn, creates space for us in midfield as the opposition defence are forced to sit deeper, and the midfield follow suit, leaving Fox and Hooly a bit more time on the ball to pick their passes. He also runs the channels well and his movement means their defence are constantly being mixed around.

In my book he is in the starting 11 at the moment.

Also, those who are saying Holt looked out of sorts, I thought he was a little quiet but put in a decent shift, and was unlucky not to score a couple of times
.[/quote]Would have been a brilliant goal if he just got something on that volley in the first half.

Jackson played very well, offers us a different dimension with his pace and as said before forces teams to defend deeper giving our midfield more time and space to play/pick out a killer pass. Enough said.