Sign in to follow this  
Mahogany

Time to start thinking about next season?

By general consensus we are now pretty much safe. Is it time to start thinking about next season? Where do we need to strengthen, who can can be sold, who should we be targeting?

For me our goalkeepers are good enough. Ruddy has really progressed this season, while Rudd and Steer have looked comfortable at this level when required. Hopefully we''ll be able to send one of them out on loan to get some game time at Championship level.

In defence with Bennett coming in we have a lot of CB''s. For me we probably need to get rid of at least one. At full back we are looking a little thin, Martin looks better at CB at this level and it seems unlikely that we''ll be able to keep Naughton so a new first choice RB must be a priority. At LB Tierney has generally been very good, especially at the start of the season, but has Drury got another season in him at this level? I think we''ve all been surprised how good he still is, but real completion for Tierney would be useful.

In the midfield we have an awful lot of players. Not only do we have those fighting for a place now, we also have Korey and Adeyemi coming back. It must be getting to maker or break time for them with their Norwich careers, we need to give them some first team experience or think about cashing in. Also from what I hear Martin has been playing more of an attacking midfield role for Palace, do we have space for him too? I think maybe it''s time for Crofts to move on, he''s been a great servant to the club, and was awesome last season, but I think his passing and vision are too limited for us if we want to progress. He''s a good age and I''d imagine we''d be able to get quite a lot for him, £2m? I''d imagine Brighton would love to have him back. I''d also probably look to sell Chris Martin, £1-2m at a guess?

Up front I think it depends a lot of how Vaughan comes back from injury, for the brief moments we saw him fit he looked exactly what we need, strong and quick with a good shot on him too. If we get a big bid for him I''d be tempted to sell Morison, he''s been very good but if we can double our money or more I think we should, there are a lot of very good players we could bring in for the amounts that were rumoured last month. If we keep the bunch we have I''d like to see one more striker bought in, if Morison or someone else goes then 2 would be good.

Firstly - Until mathematically safe, it''s not time to think about next season.

Secondly - Generally agree with what you posted.

Sell = Lappin, Crofts, Martin, Wilbraham

Buy = Right-back and Striker

Loan = Left Back

We have a decent squad now and rather then bring in 5 or 6 players that were previously needed to bulk up the squad we could ideally bring in a right-back (Gunter - £1-2m?) and then spend big on a striker. The next step up from our current position is players with genuine pace and skill and this costs money.

What a completely idiotic postThis season is now beginning to take shape and we are looking to grab some ''success''There is a small matter of being three games from a cup final and (as master nutty has earlier stated) potentially a European placeWe are two games from a Wembley appearanceThere is a possible £10m plus prize to be won by finishing 7thand you are whinging on about next season !

We have a minimum of 15 more games to play. We have seen how the likes of both Rudd and Steer have shone. Yesterdays superb performances by Bennett and Naughton, and the returning Drury demonstrate how much unknown potential awaits. We have not see Ward or Vaughan, or yet seen Wilbraham given a decent run, or even a returning Korey Smith.We have two new signings yet to show their worth, we have potentially the kind of finish that could rival the previous two seasons and you are bleating about some nonsensical relegation twaddle, as that is all our season comprised of.We''ll here''s a suggestion if you are a  season ticket holder - hand your ticket over to somebody who will welcome the chance to see another cracking last third of a season.

You have misread the OP, it is not "whinging", it is simply someone saying he''s confident about this season and thinking positively about the future. I''m sure Lambert is doing the same - is he a "whinger" too?

Let''s all just keep our feet firmly planted in the here and now, stop looking forward and see where that gets us. Hmmmm .....

[quote user="City1st"]What a completely idiotic postThis season is now beginning to take shape and we are looking to grab some ''success''There is a small matter of being three games from a cup final and (as master nutty has earlier stated) potentially a European placeWe are two games from a Wembley appearanceThere is a possible £10m plus prize to be won by finishing 7thand you are whinging on about next season !

We have a minimum of 15 more games to play. We have seen how the likes of both Rudd and Steer have shone. Yesterdays superb performances by Bennett and Naughton, and the returning Drury demonstrate how much unknown potential awaits. We have not see Ward or Vaughan, or yet seen Wilbraham given a decent run, or even a returning Korey Smith.We have two new signings yet to show their worth, we have potentially the kind of finish that could rival the previous two seasons and you are bleating about some nonsensical relegation twaddle, as that is all our season comprised of.We''ll here''s a suggestion if you are a  season ticket holder - hand your ticket over to somebody who will welcome the chance to see another cracking last third of a season.

[/quote]I''d rather discuss planning for next season in the EPL, than the constant bleating from the pant wetters about 40+ points and mathematically certain BS.

[quote user="City1st"]What a completely idiotic postThis season is now beginning to take shape and we are looking to grab some ''success''There is a small matter of being three games from a cup final and (as master nutty has earlier stated) potentially a European placeWe are two games from a Wembley appearanceThere is a possible £10m plus prize to be won by finishing 7thand you are whinging on about next season !

[/quote]Trolling by any chance? The tone has all the hallmarks of Shyster or Gaymond Retard but I am not sure which is your alter ego.Anyway, good OP. I would keep Lappin, Korey and Adeyemi. I would probably look to cash in on Chrissy, as much as I really hope he makes it big I think he may not improve beyond where he is and a spell in the Championship would help him develop. I would buy a right back, a left back, a holding midfielder and another striker but I would like to see Lambert continue with his plan and keep plundering the lower leagues for their best players.

Sorry if I sounded like whining, I didn''t mean it like that it was more now we pretty much know where we are going to be next season what can we do to improve the squad.

[quote user="Mahogany"]Sorry if I sounded like whining, I didn''t mean it like that it was more now we pretty much know where we are going to be next season what can we do to improve the squad.[/quote]

Dont apologise there was nothing wrong with your post but I am sure Lambert has been thinking about the squad for next season for a long time, and that was reflected in the window.

I reckon PL, being the manager he is will be thinking about next season - hence Howson and Bennett.  

The squad to my mind is good and has room to improve without too much extra help.   Not sure about how in the long term Morison may stay - he doesn''t tick all the boxes for me. Holt will perhaps be less of a force as time goes on - although if he stays fit, who knows, another two years at the top level, maybe?  

Its looking good and as long as we have PL I am sure we will always be progressing.

[quote user="Mahogany"]By general consensus we are now pretty much safe. Is it time to start thinking about next season? Where do we need to strengthen, who can can be sold, who should we be targeting? For me our goalkeepers are good enough. Ruddy has really progressed this season, while Rudd and Steer have looked comfortable at this level when required. Hopefully we''ll be able to send one of them out on loan to get some game time at Championship level. In defence with Bennett coming in we have a lot of CB''s. For me we probably need to get rid of at least one. At full back we are looking a little thin, Martin looks better at CB at this level and it seems unlikely that we''ll be able to keep Naughton so a new first choice RB must be a priority. At LB Tierney has generally been very good, especially at the start of the season, but has Drury got another season in him at this level? I think we''ve all been surprised how good he still is, but real completion for Tierney would be useful. In the midfield we have an awful lot of players. Not only do we have those fighting for a place now, we also have Korey and Adeyemi coming back. It must be getting to maker or break time for them with their Norwich careers, we need to give them some first team experience or think about cashing in. Also from what I hear Martin has been playing more of an attacking midfield role for Palace, do we have space for him too? I think maybe it''s time for Crofts to move on, he''s been a great servant to the club, and was awesome last season, but I think his passing and vision are too limited for us if we want to progress. He''s a good age and I''d imagine we''d be able to get quite a lot for him, £2m? I''d imagine Brighton would love to have him back. I''d also probably look to sell Chris Martin, £1-2m at a guess? Up front I think it depends a lot of how Vaughan comes back from injury, for the brief moments we saw him fit he looked exactly what we need, strong and quick with a good shot on him too. If we get a big bid for him I''d be tempted to sell Morison, he''s been very good but if we can double our money or more I think we should, there are a lot of very good players we could bring in for the amounts that were rumoured last month. If we keep the bunch we have I''d like to see one more striker bought in, if Morison or someone else goes then 2 would be good.[/quote]

Great post OP.

Think you have literally captured all my views in there.

GK: Perfic

LB: Maybe a new LB - Just don''t want to chance Drury making the whole season. Loan suggestion maybe a good one.

RB: Definitely a new RB (Preferrably to capture Naughton)

CB: Let Ward go in my opinion - Everyone is entitled to theirs! Keep the other 4.

All MF: No change, if we have to bring someone in then Snodgrass please!

ST: A new striker if we persist with 2 up front, stay with 4 if we go five in the middle

Keep and loan out Kory and Adeyemi

Sell/Release Ward, Martin, Wilbrahim

For next season:Sign Naughton permanently.We need a decent strong holding midfield player, hopefully with a bit of height.Sign Matty Phillips from Blackpool. - Has genuine pace and an eye for a goal.Sign Snodgrass.Sign another striker but one with a bit of pace.We need to let go one centre half and a couple of midfield players.

[quote user="whoareyou"]For next season:

Sign Naughton permanently.

We need a decent strong holding midfield player, hopefully with a bit of height.

Sign Matty Phillips from Blackpool. - Has genuine pace and an eye for a goal.

Sign Snodgrass.

Sign another striker but one with a bit of pace.

We need to let go one centre half and a couple of midfield players.

[/quote]

Agree with all of these.Phillips'' name was mentioned last month and ever since then he has looked exciting.

Naughton would be fantastic but i can''t see it happening sadly.

Players to go?? Barnett,Lappin and Crofts maybe.

Good post.

GK - think we are fine here

RB - will need a new one or sign Naughton on perm

LB - will need another, unless we get Naughton who can also cover this position.

CB - seems fine now, maybe let one go.

MF - would like to see a good holding MF come in and maybe Phillips.

ST - get another in, let Wilbraham go and if we could get decent money for jackson id let him go also and maybe bring a youngsta in, depends on how it looks and how well someone does in reserves though.

who id like to see.

In''s: Naughton, Rhodes and a Holding MF (not sure who yet), Phillips and maybe promote Loza if he keeps doing well for reserves.

Out''s: Lappin, Crofts, Martin, Wilbraham and Barnett or Ward.

Dont shoot me for saying Jackson, he is a decent play but I think we need to take the next step and get someone who is a more clinical finisher.

Forgot to say it would also depend if vaughan stays fit the rest of the season to how I would change it up front. but I''m sure what every Lambert does will work!

In Lambert we trust!

[quote user="The Jewish Cowboy"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Buy a hungry striker from abroad for £5-7M[/quote]Plenty in Africa to choose from.[/quote]Give the Tories 12 months and we won''t need to leave the County.

[quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"][quote user="The Jewish Cowboy"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Buy a hungry striker from abroad for £5-7M[/quote]

Plenty in Africa to choose from.
[/quote]

Give the Tories 12 months and we won''t need to leave the County.
[/quote]

Haha it feels like it''s going that way[:S]

Cantiaci,why from abroad in particular?If we have that sort of money someone like Rhodes would be well worth a punt surely.

"Let''s all just keep our feet firmly planted in the here and now, stop looking forward and see where that gets us."whereas talking about NEXT season is not looking forward ?Of course the OP is a load of old bolloxAs stated the squad is evolving at a very fast rate, so making predictions with 15 games (minimal) to go, when no one can be sure who will develop and push for a place is absurd. How many of the whingers and whiners were squeaking about a ''proven'' back up keeper when Rudd was injured ? The same cretins who were certain Holt would not make it in the Premiere League and that we would be fighting a relegation battle and Ruddy was a liability. Still, now the relegation countdown league table has now been quietly dropped the dimwitted need somthing to distract them.  Rather like  being invited to wine and dine at the finest restaurant in the country, all for free but prefering to sit outside and speculate what day the dustcart will turn up to collect the empties.7th place (minimum) and the Cup Final are our current targets. As neither has been decided then in ridiculous to claim we know where we are. We still have over a season left. When the season is over and we have seen what players have broken through then we can speculate on the squad. We will also know what money we have.

Of course we should look forward, that''s exactly what I meant and what the OP meant. However, we don''t have to stop making the very best of this season - it is possible to do both!

I simply don''t think it''s very fair when a perfectly reasonable poster (like the opening poster) is shot down in flames for no reason. It was a thoughtful and interesting post, as others on this thread have agreed.

"We still have over a season left."  and you talk about bollox!Stop trying to be a smartarse, which you clearly are not, and get back in your hole!

Well as a fan of any club you are looking for progression and the development of your choosen club and that means looking at the weaknesses and looking at options to strengthen. Lambert has done very well, as a few post have said in bringing in players some who have fallen by the way side because our achievements and hence have become a victim of our success. However all ahve had the impact we needed either offering competition for places, or giving that spark we have missed ala mcnamee, oli johnson etc.

Lambert made it clear that all his summer signings for 2011 were earmarked by this stage with his then chief scout. So of course the planning is in place and certainly bringing in two quality young international players in this january who have played a large number of games was a brilliant idea.

So no doubt we will have a few players, but I agree not masses coming in. I feel we have a balance and the age of the squad is continueing to go down. Hence we will hopefully have them for there best years and when a club comes in their value may have increased. We will have a new youth system/ academy set up and all looks rosey.

Lambert will know his budget will be significantly different if we stay up or if we go down. Yes it is looking very positive and I beleive we will stay up. Just look forward to seeing the scrap at the bottom with us well away from it, Anything above 17th is amazing. However next season we will have to try and still ride the crest of this wave, it will be tough and no doubt we will still be considered a relegation candidate. Of course we will every manager says the same get to 35-40 points and if certain teams come up who can pay 5-6 million on numerous players then we will have competition. West Ham for one and there are a few others in that division who will pay, not in the same ridiculous way as QPR  but will have funds to really go for it. That is why I think we are lucky. Bolton, Wigan, Balckburn, WBA, Wolves are not really great teams hence 2 of those five will stay up. If we can think like that then there will be two teams that I would say are weaker than us for next season. Hence if a QPR team went down even better as three of those aforementioned teams would stay up.

But anyway back to the question.

The keepers have been superb, I do think there may be some scope in bringing in a keeper. This season we could gamble, but next maybe not so much. If Ruddy was out long term, then I think I would at least have wanted us to have had a look, if no-one is there then fine. Because Is it a priority, no. But I do think a keeper keeps you in games and is as valuable as a 15 goal a season striker. As a 1-0 win is massive if your keeper can hold out the opposition so you get 3 points instead of 1.

Defensively, centre backs look good. I would say keep them unless a bid comes in. Whitbread has yet to sign a new deal that is quite critical in the long term. I was worried that we needed that leader that strong head but I believe there are other positions where we can acquire that ability. I also agree that R. Martin suits the centre back role more than the full back role and hence we may have a fair few for a number ofpositions, but with injuries a bit prominent amongst the group then cover is needed. We have no youngster coming through so these boys can be here for a few years, unless a bid were to come.

Full backs, I think is an area we need pace and strength. I firmly believe that Naughton has been superb, who knows if that will come off but I believe he is getting settled in here and if it came off a good acquisition, we however would also need cover and I think an experienced head for right back would be ideal in case of injury just to voice our defence around. This season has been interesting as most flair players have played up against Naughton or Martin the left side of our defence not so tested. Could Drury do another year, maybe but I think get Tierney back and then look at another addition there again if available, if not Drury for one more season is fine.

Midfield, as many said a good number of players jostling for starting places. I think Pilky and EB will be a force in their second seasons, in fact Pilky this season is a great creative player with ability with both feet. Howson will come in and certainly add a great deal, but I do (as many have said) feel that we do need improvement in our midfield. The players are good, but don''t have the full package. There may be some scope to look at those who could fill the role, we need a dominating, strong midfielder who can play it around a little. But also has that voice. For me this could be the key player for us next season. In regard to those leaving again, I think it is case of I don''t think any should be allowed to leave unless an offer comes in or contract runs out. Adeyemi I would want to stay and maybe see if a champ team want him on loan or get him on the bench a little, Korey the same. But I feel Adeyemi is more set for football with NCFC, Korey may have suitors this summer.

Upfront, Holt is getting on but next season he will still cause defences trouble all season. No defensive group have been able to really hold him up. Morison has had a scoring season and the key is to have a second season scoring as regularly as he has again. Odemwingie and Rodallega are now looking two players who aren''t up to it. Vaughan and Jackson still will have a role, and the Vaughan will get the ground running this season. But I do agree that another striker may well be needed, either one who is making an impression now or one that can unlock teams with individual brilliance to beat a centre half one on one and then have the poise, ability and execution to score a goal of class.

So for me the less players we lose the better.

No question priority is Whitbreads new contract and that stand out midfielder.

Then look at a right back and a striker.

Goalkeeper, I believe have a look. But if nothing is there stick. Yes injury could happen and I believe it is a huge risk, but the boys are ready in Lamberts mind and I believe our defence agree that if Rudd came in they would have a capable premiership keeper. The same with Left back, of course look and nothing there move on and have Drury for one more season.

I agree I am pretty much agreeing with the conses here, but you have to improve in each department really each season in this division (I know that is obvious, no-one rest on there laurels) but we do.

I also like the names of Snodgrass and Matty Phillips. Who wouldn''t but wonder if other suitors may come in. No question we are an attractive proposition and certainly our midfield area would improve greatly but are they key players for us to acquire. I said that Snodgrass would be a marquee signing if we got him in January, yes he would be on my wish list as would another player that many of you know I like but I wonder if he will be priced out. Others may show an interest but if we have been long admirers and he is showing an interest in continued association with him we could get him. A great player to have out wide and make our 4-4-2 and diamond formations better.

The other player I would like is Pacheco. He fits one of the two options I mentioned above, again in my opinion. The other type of striker who has Strength, pace and height are almost the full package and they are hard to get hold of.  In fact more clubs are looking to Europe for those players and it is never easy to say whether it will happen. Demba Ba has been amazing, will he be next season. I also have a great belief that Mexican forwards have a great drive, hunger, pace and ability. They adapt pretty well to the premiership, but again could be a little further away.

Pacheco is a known quantity here at NCFC, he would fit in (I presume with many of the boys again and have that sense of belonging he clearly expressed), if he is admired by Lambert then he would be a good player to bring in. We have Holt, Morison for the strength and height, we have jacko and Vaughan for the pace. But an aguero like forward (it is the best comparison I can come up with but a bit far fetched I will grant you) who can twist, create, score and unlock defences at will with movement and that little bit of  grit.

Yes I know a few on here don''t think he did enough and even this season he has been hardly played at his loaned club, from his other loaned club, from Liverpool. Think the ''sense of belonging'' is a key to the young mans development. But I believe in a league where the forward can drop a little deeper, orchestrate to the other forwards strengths mentioned could be key next season. As this year we have either played one big man, or really two big men. I like it, it has worked with us being a threat in the air (if we get crosses in) but that little bit of ability to get past the one centre half and unleash a shot is something one on one this guy could do. But of course I didn''t see him in training and Lambert may have seen otherwise which would say he could not fit into our system.

Exciting isn''t it, but I beleive after a long winded post, I have agreed with the positions needed that many have highlighted.

Right full back, Central Midfielder and Striker are priorities, Left full back, goalkeeper and pacey creative wide midfielder are options if they are avaialble.

If Blackburn go down/go bust, whichever comes first, I would quite like to see Steven Nzonzi here.

He seems to play as a holding/central midfielder yet pops up with the odd goal here and there as well. He has strength, pace and does not shy away from a tackle. A big ball winner like this would just beef up the middle of the park.

[quote user="Road to Nowhere"]

If Blackburn go down/go bust, whichever comes first, I would quite like to see Steven Nzonzi here.

He seems to play as a holding/central midfielder yet pops up with the odd goal here and there as well. He has strength, pace and does not shy away from a tackle. A big ball winner like this would just beef up the middle of the park.

[/quote]

Why? if he was any good Would Blackburn be on the bottom right now 

Those who are saying get rid of one of the centrebacks... I wonder what would happen if two of our centrebacks got injured in the first 40 minutes of the same game...no, that''d never happen!