Sign in to follow this  
NorCal Canary

Captaincy to Helveg?

If, as some posters seem to wish, Fleming and Holt are dropped from the team in the near future, who should play as captain?Should the armband return to Drury, or would it be a better idea to hand it to Helveg? If he''s good enough for Denmark, then surely he''s good enough for us. Making him captain would also remind him that he''s wanted here - something which may need to hear after the season he''s had with us.What does everyone else think?

I think it is a perfectly acceptable proposition, that ''Thomas the Dansk Engine'' should be sporting the ''Kapitans'' armband - with Mr Fleming (hopefully) sat on the bench on Saturday.

Helveg has had a lot of responsibility being Captain of his home country, which indicates to me, that he is experienced and respected in that role, and why he retains the armband - even after being allowed limited opportunities to play for NCFC, which just shows how much he is admired by the Danish national coach.

I, from witnessing the onfield ''spats'' between Fleming and Charlton a few games ago, think that Worthington sided with his club & team Captain, which resulted in a quality player like Simon sitting on the bench even after recovering from injury.

Drury was a poor choice of Captain, and the appointment of Fleming isn''t much better! (Shackells'' presence outweighs Flemings)! As for Emblem being given the Captaincy?????

NorCal, I am in total agreement with your comments, yes Helveg should be the Captain till the end of season, as he can ''handle it!''. 

OTBC ;~) 

An idea that has never even crossed my mind... but makes an incredible amount of sense.

Come on Worthy, give the guy a chance! Helveg + Charlton in central defence I say - with Shackell waiting in the wings.

Yep! thats a spot on from me as well. fleming should have been sat on the bench (park bench that is) after about the 2nd game this season

I would say yes but how much longer is he going to be at this club?  If he leaves in the summer it would be pretty stupid to give him the captaincy now.  I think we should wait until the summer and assess the situation then

"Thomas the Dansk Engine", that''s quite clever, Mello Yello. Did you think it up, or is it a clever little title doing the rounds?

I made it up all by myself stephen, I put the ''little Dansk ditty'' in an earlier post over a month ago. Been to Denmark (marvellous country) a few times, and it gave me a little inspiration, as I think it sums up Thomas and the quality player that he is. Seems a shame other folk/doubters  (including our Manager) don''t have the same perception.

Although, I''ve just read that Worthington has had a change of heart, and put Helveg in the squad against Man-ure..... Slams gate, after horse has bolted springs to mind!

Yes, Thomas did have an indifferent start to what I think will be a short association with NCFC, but whatever happens, I still rate and respect him, and he will be a great loss.

He will be welcome round "Arhus" anytime.....and he shouldn''t be "Herning" his salary elswhere. Please lets not "Lego" of him!   OTBC ;~)

No objections here to Helveg being made captain until the end of the season.

While I thought he was poor in his first spell at right back at the start of the season, I did think he did alright in midfield in his second spell. Nothing spectacular, but he played like he cared and seemed to try and drive the team on. We have nothing to lose now as we''re practically relegated anyway. Plus I''m sure Helveg will either retire or move on come the end of the season. So we might as well see what more he can offer while he''s here.

Strangely though, Man Utd away was one of the early games Helveg played in where he made a bad impression. So I wait and see what impact he has tomorrow.

[quote]captaincy to helveg you must be joking or drunk .i dont think he is good enough to warrant a place in the side. lets loan him out to the scum bound to fail in the play offs then.[/quote]

Or maybe you are joking or drunk. He cant do much worse

Yeah i''d love to see it but i''d say the chances of it happening are about the same as Worthy coming out and admitting the balls up he has made of this season..

Norcal, Where bouts in California are you? I stayed for a while in Chico State last summer and had the time of my life!!!

Yep agreed Templeton, there is always one isn''t there?

Can anyone have a thread on this site that DOESN''T contain a stupid post with a needless point being made.

But going back to the point about Helveg, i agree give him a go, see what he does. He is captain of his national team and obviously has bags of experience and leadership skills.

In reply to Rob Henry (apologies to everyone else):

I just checked the maps. Chico''s a little way (an hour or two) north of Davis, where I live. I don''t know if you know, but Davis is close enough to Sacramento that it''s almost a suburb.

I''ve been here since september last year, but haven''t ventured up to Chico yet.

In reply to whoever enquired about my sobriety:

No, I wasn''t drunk. And I wasn''t joking. It could well be that Helveg has something to offer us in terms of motivating the team and keeping the defence organised. And, once he''s acclimatised (and he was showing signs of this before he was injured), then I think he is worth keeping at the club.

As "steady" Eddie is looking overstretched, I (and Worthy too) think it''s time to give Helveg another run. If he performs well and proves you wrong we''ve all got something to smile about.

While I can see the class that Thomas has one this I havent seen him o in thefew games he has played is to cajole and encourage team mates - he seems to be one who leads by example and let his talented feet do the talking rather than his mouth.

At this stageof the season we need players who will lead vocally, encouraging a the team to keep its shape, cover each other, keep going when we conceed a goal etc etc.  Good teams have several of these on the pitch (Martin Johnson WC England had 4/5 leaders), unfortunately I cant think of any of our regulars who have done that, let alone several.  The one player who has shown any leadership is Shacks; shaping the back four despite the poor quality of the blocks he is building with and the alleged inexperience his age brings.  A controversial choice bu, certainy for the future, he will be our captain.  On Sat, chose anyone, Thomas has the experiene so why not, but it could be drury or ashton or Francis as its not what we really need.

OTBC  

Must admit i cant see Helveg as club captain. But its totally ludicrous to say that the captain of Denmark, having given a decade of service to AC Milan isnt good enough to get into what passes for a defence at Norwich City. He is the only player on our books with the potential to mix it at the top level. Whether or not he will use that ability is a moot point.

Blanc won the World Cup with France but that didn''t do Man U much good did it. Add to the list brolin, Guivarch, Taibi, Veron, vega, balaban, Tomasson, Jonson and more and you might get the point......the fact Helveg played for ac milan is completely irrelevant.

Do you honestly think that if Helveg had been that impressive in matches and training that Worthy would have chosen him and saved the team (and possibly himself)?

Helveg was poor vs Man U, C Pal, Everton and Chelsea but he has one good game vs Liverpool and everyone seems to be in awe.

As for captaincy, i don''t think that title really matters that much but it has to go an established and regular player and not be flavour of the month on the pink un  message board.

Blanc was in a Man Utd squad that had just one the treble to be fair. Helveg is in a squad where a gust of wind could break through its defence.

To say he''s not good enough is ludicrous. I personally don''t believe he is the answer long term, but no-one stands out. Francis has been one of the few starters this term, anyone know why he isn''t mentioned (i''m not putting his name forward, jsut wandering if he is not a captain type???)

most of the players you named didnt play 10 years in serie A, nor did they captain a leading European nation, and accrue 82 caps. Its called a cv, and his is pretty damn impressive. I havent sen much of him this season. And what ive seen has been mediocre, but the point i made was clearly that if anyone is going to live with man. u. it will be him. Ive seen a lot of edworthy and its not made for pretty viewing.

I wondered at the start of the season about future captains, and I thought of Francis.

However, as this season has progressed, it''s clear that Francis isn''t captain material. Doesn''t impose himself nearly enough on the game to be captain.

For next season, I''d give it to Shackell. Some may say he is too young, but he is a natural leader,  is vocal and seems to relish the big challenges...our version of John Terry if you like.

There is some merit to thinking about Helveg as captain. Did you see him come on against Arsenal exuding the class and confidence that said "I belong here". The problem is - could Worthy wear it. He seems rather uncomfortable with foreigners.

I agree with Campbell about Shackell and have said so elsewhere. He seems to be a born leader and organiser.

I would love somehow for Helveg and Shackell to be given prime responsibility for City''s defence next season, with Helveg mentoring Shackell with a view to the youngster taking over as captain.

A word to Delia - while Worthy gets us back up in the next couple of years, please make sure Helveg stays around. he might just be the manager to keep us in the Premiership next time! Check it out!

OTBC

[quote]Oh, there''s always one, isn''t there?[/quote]

glad thers only one and not two helvegs that is...for someone with all this experiance he has i have never seen a player give the ball away so much.do you really think this is the real helveg or do you think they sent a lookalike.my moneys on he will not be here next season. i hope.