Sign in to follow this  
CDMullins

Anyone admitting Wes isn't upto it....

Some people simply hate certain players. They keep quiet until they have a bad game, then they jump all over them.

I have one or two players I have doubts about, but I don''t like outing myself as a twerp, so I keep my own counsel. I''ve been wrong about Jackson (& Whitbread) so far; I have to say I''m not keen on Johnson, but any player in Lambert''s squad is there for a reason & that''s good enough for me.

I slagged Wes earlier in this thread and I make no apologies, he was terrible on Weds and he has been found out several times this year. Today he was absolutely brilliant, actually lived up to what he is capable of, which unfortunately is a bit rare.

If he could reproduce today''s performance week in, week out, then he would be a really top quality player and would not only be in the international set up, he would the cornerstone of Trappatoni''s team! No-one questions his ability, just his consistency!

[quote user="kick it off"]

If he could reproduce today''s performance week in, week out, then he would be a really top quality player and would not only be in the international set up, he would the cornerstone of Trappatoni''s team! No-one questions his ability, just his consistency![/quote]

Unfortunately if he did I don''t think we''d still have him.

I am not a big fan of hoolahan, but he was awesome today, however i think that is mostly because Bolton were absolutely awful today and anyone playing in that role would have looked amazing.

[quote user="J.Warman"]

I am not a big fan of hoolahan, but he was awesome today, however i think that is mostly because Bolton were absolutely awful today and anyone playing in that role would have looked amazing.

[/quote]

Bolton only played as well as we allowed them to play.  As you say, "Wes was awesome"...............full stop.

I still think there were times when he didn''t do what he needed to do, easy pass or clear the ball when it dropped in our area from a corner.

We have come up quickly from league 1 and the players we have been exceptional, but they are not closed to any criticism. Yes, I have said I believe in constructive criticism and I believe in always improving as individuals and as a team. Each one of our players is not the finished article, but what they are, are hungry and performing well enough to warrant our place in this division which is exceptional. So hats off to them, but there is always room for improvement and there are weaknesses that many of them have. Otherwise, they would have been snapped up by a hgiher placed teams over the last few years.

We built a team this summer that is more than competitive in this division, next season (and with the jan. acquisitions) we are building a team that can be here for years. We do have players with limitations and also Hoolahan is a player we have to accomodate, what you get for one thing you lose by playing him.

But he has great ability with his left peg (wish he had a right peg), I do think he is part of our team, but still not irreplacable. Very interesting after next summer we are building a squad of players who are more complete, but that is what you want. Hunger, total ability, youthful but experienced and ability to improve as a team.

No question stand out players today are Naughton and Bennett, with the roles they had to take after the injuries to the two centre backs. For me Naughton player of the season. He reads the game brilliantly, has pace and commanded the defence today. Could have been awful with missed chances and then no recognised centre halves. But we played a very weak team today. That clearly didn''t look at the sunderland tape to see how to disrupt us.

[quote user="kick it off"]I slagged Wes earlier in this thread and I make no apologies, he was terrible on Weds and he has been found out several times this year. Today he was absolutely brilliant, actually lived up to what he is capable of, which unfortunately is a bit rare. If he could reproduce today''s performance week in, week out, then he would be a really top quality player and would not only be in the international set up, he would the cornerstone of Trappatoni''s team! No-one questions his ability, just his consistency![/quote]

He wasn''t ''found out'' then, was he?

He had an off day instead. Y''know, like very other player in the world will have now and again.

Geezus.

I think what hacks a lot of people off is the ''repeatedly negative against Wes OP'' making out like Wes was the only disaster on the pitch, because a more balanced view would be that the whole team was carp. Wes was only one of many, so lets not be surprised when people jump to his defence.

Simply give a balanced view, not a biased one.

[quote user="Downloads"]

I think what hacks a lot of people off is the ''repeatedly negative against Wes OP'' making out like Wes was the only disaster on the pitch, because a more balanced view would be that the whole team was carp. Wes was only one of many, so lets not be surprised when people jump to his defence.

[/quote]What about the ''Repeatesdly postive towards Wes'' Posters?Are their opinions biased as well?

Virtually everyone else seemed to determine that the team played badly, somehow from that game you managed to single out Wes.

[quote user="Downloads"]

[/quote]

Unfortunately, alot of people on here don''t know what ''balanced'' is.    They would probably fall of a surf board on dry land, most of them. 

Thought Surman was excellent today aswell as Wes. Classy player and great first touches and swivels to get away from his marker. Some missplaced passes were treated like owngoals, not has a Paul Scholes pass success rate to thos behind me moaning at him

[quote user="J.Warman"]

[/quote]

Obviously players will be criticised by fans if we lose. Some of the criticisms are really unwarranted and take little into consideration. You poays your money and takes your choice. But this post should have a special place because it somehow finds a negative from a positive[;)]

I won''t comment further because I didn''t see the game. But come on Warmy buddy, at least keep your powder dry until Hoolahan has a bad game.

An excellent dominant midfield performance today, with the re-introduction of pilkington & Fox to form our best midfield 4. As a result Wessi was back at his influential best.

According to whoscored.com Wes had a 93% pass completion rate (the highest of Norwich''s by some distance) of the 53 passes he played (the second most of a Norwich player)

But he still gives the ball away far too much doesn''t he ;)

[quote user="Gareth"]According to whoscored.com Wes had a 93% pass completion rate (the highest of Norwich''s by some distance) of the 53 passes he played (the second most of a Norwich player)

But he still gives the ball away far too much doesn''t he ;)[/quote]Also according to whoscored.com Surman was one of Norwich''s best defensive players with 2 tackles (equal first) and one interception (equal third)But he''s still too ''lightweight'' as any educated football fan knows.

This is completly unrelated to Wes.If a player, lets call him Bob has 10 runs with the ball and gets tackled each time, but makes 8 out of 8 completed 5 yards passes.He would have a 100% Pass completion recordBut still gave the ball away more.

Also, This isnt Anti-Surman at all. 2 tackles and 1 interception is hardly anything to show about or prove that he isnt lightweight

When Wes plays well, City play well.The little man makes us tick and when he''s off his game as he was on Wednesday you see the result.When Wes is missing, Ricardo is always worried.

[quote user="CDMullins"]This is completly unrelated to Wes.If a player, lets call him Bob has 10 runs with the ball and gets tackled each time, but makes 8 out of 8 completed 5 yards passes.He would have a 100% Pass completion recordBut still gave the ball away more.

Also, This isnt Anti-Surman at all. 2 tackles and 1 interception is hardly anything to show about or prove that he isnt lightweight[/quote]But Wes didn''t make one pass he made 54, 54 chances to get the pass wrong yet 93% of the time he got it right. Also there are statistics for ''Bob'' getting tackled and losing the ball it''s called being dispossessed and Wes, for the entire match was dispossessed once (according to who scored.com) so not only was Wes''s passing outstanding he only lost the ball once as well as being fouled twice.  

[quote user="ricardo"]When Wes plays well, City play well.The little man makes us tick and when he''s off his game as he was on Wednesday you see the result.When Wes is missing, Ricardo is always worried.[/quote]This,  times n!

some people are either biased or dont understand football. there are reasons why wes is the midfielder than has played most games for us. his pass completion rate is the highest in the team, he works tirelessly, pops up on either wing and in the middle, and is still our main creative force. he sets the tempo when he plays (something that is clearly evident when he doesnt play) and is always looking for the ball. anyway, if he wasnt performing (or we had better options) lambert wouldn''t continue to pick him. also, cant undertand anti-wes comments and little about crofts and especially johnson.

A shame CD Mullins and BW cannot be moved to a remote island with no internet connection whatsoever, imagine this board would almost be idiot free !! I did say almost aswell ;)

It''s almost laughable that the self-proclaimed football genius CD Mullins doesn''t recognise our most creative player, who makes things tick, who links up the midfield with the attack, who creates opportunities, who runs and consistently beats opposition players, turns them inside out, creates space and ultimately creates goals.I won''t deny it, i''m a massive fan of Hoolahan. As is, i suspect, Lambert, Culverhouse and the rest of the coaching staff. That is, the REAL football experts, not me or you.Now, that isn''t to say Hoolahan has to play every game as certainly he hasn''t done this season. Lambert recognises when to play him and when not to based on the system we''re playing and the team we''re against. That''s clever management.What you can''t take away from Wessi, however, is the massive impact he''s had under Lamberts tenure from League one up to the Premiership, and he most certainly doesn''t look out of place this season.Interesting, CD Mullins, that it''s taken one poor performance for you to chirp up. Got a bit of a problem with Wes haven''t you? It''s interesting, as i personally support all our players that Lambert deems good enough. But then again, i''m a fan, not some self-induced prick.

[quote user="ricardo"]When Wes plays well, City play well.The little man makes us tick and when he''s off his game as he was on Wednesday you see the result.When Wes is missing, Ricardo is always worried.[/quote]

We all think Lambert is amazing...true? Then isnt it strange that Wes, along with Holt, are the only regulars (you cant really count Drury and KoS as regulars) that have survived since the managers before.

PL is not stupid, He knows Wes makes us tick and so does the big man upfront. Thats why he built a system to accommodate him which is something the THAT man who bought him couldn''t do and Gunny after him.

Admittedly he has off games buts thats usually down to teams doubling up on him but when Fox and Pilks are in the same team this rarely happens as they have other creators to worry about. Against Sunderland our midfield and front 2 were very static and Wes got isolated within a pack of their players. nuff said, i''m over it, he was class yesterday as were the rest of the team.

The same starting 11 (bar the c.back conundrum) for Swansea please Lord Lambert.

I was at the Sunderland game.

O''Neill just got his tactics on Wessi spot on that game. For a start, Wes was being played way to far up the pitch and wasn''t coming back enough to collect the ball and dictate play. Secondly, O''Neill knew he was a danger man. So as soon as Wes got the ball, about 2-3 players would close him down straight away, not allowing to play at all and dictate Norwich''s game.

And that''s what I liked about Wes at the Bolton game. He was dropping deep (playing a free role as such) and linking norwich''s play together and making chances (Surman''s shot against the bar was all down to his movement and play on the right wing).