Sign in to follow this  
Supermarket Prodigy

Grant Holt - Twitter v Swansea

[quote user="Alan BowCLUCK"]God help Britain when this soppy generation are in postions of power.....The school system it seems are doing a great job of turning out gutless lefty pansies scared of their own shadow... and scared of the world around us.It really is a scandal.

[/quote]

I don''t think they will ever get into power. We will be a state in the United Nations of China by then.

[quote user="First Wizard"]I''ve always thought that twitting was for tw*ts, stupid passtime for the brain dead imo........and we''re sure it was Holt who said it are we?[/quote]...... is that why people like our very own Stephen fry and sir Alan sugar tweet ? Hardly brain dead are they? Some people would say similar for someone that has made nearly 17000 comments on a message board.......

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"][quote user="First Wizard"]I''ve always thought that twitting was for tw*ts, stupid passtime for the brain dead imo........and we''re sure it was Holt who said it are we?[/quote]...... is that why people like our very own Stephen fry and sir Alan sugar tweet ? Hardly brain dead are they? Some people would say similar for someone that has made nearly 17000 comments on a message board.......[/quote]Imagine it Wiz only had 140 characters!  The world would be a better place. [;)]

Being Welsh isn''t a race. There is no such race as Welsh, English, Scottish etc.It was a bit of banter that''s no worse than most Norfolk folk get when they venture beyond the bounds of Norfolk (I get it at work, being called a Turkey sh**er but then, that''s from a socuse "thieving ba**ard")

This is a strange thread - I totally agree that some of things that were shouted, sung or yelled at matches in the 60''s and 70''s are well beyond the pale nowadays (and quite rightly so).  However, surely there has been (and hopefully) will always be football banter involving Cockneys, Scousers, Geordies, Brummies, Welsh, Scottish etc etc etc.  After all, if Manure fans can get away with their YSB (You Scouse B*stards) banners at Anfield what''s the harm with a bit of harmless twittering?????

I stupidly read the first page and then skipped to the last page.

It reminded me of one of those fiendishly difficult word ladders where you think there''s no way it can go from XXXX to XXXX changing one letter at a time.

I must have a read to fill in the gaps later on.

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]I stupidly read the first page and then skipped to the last page. It reminded me of one of those fiendishly difficult word ladders where you think there''s no way it can go from XXXX to XXXX changing one letter at a time. I must have a read to fill in the gaps later on.[/quote]

Not sure what you''re getting at here Wings, that''s the general idea of a message board.

Much like a book, you wouldn''t read the first page then the last would you?

[quote user="Smokebomb"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="Wesbian"]Has Holty defended himself with "I''m not racist, one of my best strike-partners is Welsh!" yet?
[/quote]

Steve Morison Welsh?

Ho ho ho!

He has a granny who was born in Ebbw Vale, and that''s about it..........[:S]

Ah, the old Ebbw Vale granny trick eh, lovely place EbbwVale, all RTB and Arthur Lewis!

OTBC

[/quote][/quote]

The first topless dress I saw was in a shop window in Ebbw Vale in 1964.

Black it was. [;)]

As I recall, someone tried to trump the miniskirt which had been introduced by designer Mary Quant earlier that year.[:)]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Smokebomb"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="Wesbian"]Has Holty defended himself with "I''m not racist, one of my best strike-partners is Welsh!" yet?
[/quote]

Steve Morison Welsh?

Ho ho ho!

Ah, the old Ebbw Vale granny trick eh, lovely place EbbwVale, all RTB and Arthur Lewis!

OTBC

[/quote][/quote]

Black it was. [;)]

As I recall, someone tried to trump the miniskirt which had been introduced by designer Mary Quant earlier that year.[:)]

OTBC

[/quote]

Blimey, I remember those as well - pity they never caught on!!!!  That''s one retro fashion I''d be happy to see back (unlike flares or loons!!!).

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Bryangunnshairline"][quote user="First Wizard"]I''ve always thought that twitting was for tw*ts, stupid passtime for the brain dead imo........and we''re sure it was Holt who said it are we?[/quote]...... is that why people like our very own Stephen fry and sir Alan sugar tweet ? Hardly brain dead are they? Some people would say similar for someone that has made nearly 17000 comments on a message board.......[/quote]

Imagine it Wiz only had 140 characters!  The world would be a better place. [;)]
[/quote]

Unlike on t.watter, I''d never share my breakfast details with you.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Smokebomb"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="Wesbian"]Has Holty defended himself with "I''m not racist, one of my best strike-partners is Welsh!" yet?[/quote]

Steve Morison Welsh?

Ho ho ho!

OTBC

[/quote][/quote]

Black it was. [;)]

OTBC

[/quote]

I had my first hump not far from from there BBB, valley girls eh, lovely, she had crabs though unfortunately, well thats what my mate told me, not sure how he knew cos I never got them!!

[quote user="Smokebomb"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Smokebomb"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

Steve Morison Welsh?

Ho ho ho!

OTBC

[/quote][/quote]

Black it was. [;)]

OTBC

[/quote]

I had my first hump not far from from there BBB, valley girls eh, lovely, she had crabs though unfortunately, well thats what my mate told me, not sure how he knew cos I never got them!!
[/quote]

As I recall my attention was drawn Mertyr Tydfil and Abergavenny way in those days. Very nice too.

I also remember getting supplied with  ludicrously cheap ciggies for the time I was in Ebbw Vale - dropped off the back of a truck they had!!! Players Weights I think they were; packs of 10. [:)]

OTBC

Wow some people on here are pathetic, ppl like mister chops are everything thats wrong with this world. Its bloody banter. Every body is so PC these days, thats why we dont have proper christmas anymore, we have the rubbish human rights law, you cant say or do anything more its pathetic, i actually hate ppl like this get a sense of humor and a life
Agreed [:D]

[quote user="Divs crew"]

Wow some people on here are pathetic, ppl like mister chops are everything thats wrong with this world. Its bloody banter. Every body is so PC these days, thats why we dont have proper christmas anymore, we have the rubbish human rights law, you cant say or do anything more its pathetic, i actually hate ppl like this get a sense of humor and a life
Agreed [:D]

Mr Chops is one of the least PC members of this message board you could find.....

[/quote]

Since when haven''t we had a proper Christmas???

Strange rant,although i agree this is the most ott reaction to an ill-thought out quip.

The Welsh have a chip on their shoulder about the English. Some people will make fun of the welsh without realising why.   I have met plenty of welsh people throughout my work, made friends with some of them.   But I have lost count of the times welsh people will put each other first.  In work, if a welsh person has managed to gain a position of power for long enough - lo and behold, most of his/her employees will be welsh.  

It''s not common just for welsh people to do this, you may say, and this is true, but it doesn''t happen so much with the scots who I also meet alot of where I live.   Wales is so close to the main part of England and this is the problem for them.   It is prescribed in the genes of their nationality  to get one over the English at any and every opportunity.   I''m sorry if this sounds racist or xenophobic and there are bound to be some nice welsh people out there, but its just what I have found through experience.   

So a little harmless banter about he welsh is not too bad in my book!

[quote user="lake district canary"]

The Welsh have a chip on their shoulder about the English. Some people will make fun of the welsh without realising why.   I have met plenty of welsh people throughout my work, made friends with some of them.   But I have lost count of the times welsh people will put each other first.  In work, if a welsh person has managed to gain a position of power for long enough - lo and behold, most of his/her employees will be welsh.  

It''s not common just for welsh people to do this, you may say, and this is true, but it doesn''t happen so much with the scots who I also meet alot of where I live.   Wales is so close to the main part of England and this is the problem for them.   It is prescribed in the genes of their nationality  to get one over the English at any and every opportunity.   I''m sorry if this sounds racist or xenophobic

[/quote]]Err Yes, sorry LDC, it does!!!!OK, here''s a little bit of history for you: when the Romans invaded Britain, they basically took over London and the south and moved north. They couldn''t be arsed with extremes, and just pushed north all the way to Scotland basically scattering the locals to the extremes of our island. These locals (Celts) were pushed into remote areas such as Cornwall, Norfolk the aforementioned Scotland, and Wales. The celts lived and flourished and rebelled for a while before some regions became intergrated with the norm, and some didn''t. If you are truly a Norfolk person, (and this is not a challenge to see who is the pink un''s most Norfolk person) the Cornish, Scottish and Welsh (and people from Brittany, France) are your brethren, not people from London, the midlands, yorkshire and the south east.I live in Wales. I moved there for work about 13 years ago and my other half and my 3 boys are bilingual welsh/english. I find no offence in Holty''s remark, but I can understand those people who do. As racism is so high profile at the moment, I though his comments were a little tactless rather than racial. Given the chance and taking advice, I guess he wouldn''t make them again. Yes it is banter, but some people ain''t half touchy when it comes to nationality. But plenty of my mates have loved the remark and are getting really pumped up for the game - even though they all support Wrexham or Liverpool!!I guess there are always going to be people more sensitive than most, and people who wave the PC banner just to get someone else in trouble, which is a shame.As for those who do not think Wales is a country but England is, that just smarts of small town attitude.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Bryangunnshairline"][quote user="First Wizard"]I''ve always thought that twitting was for tw*ts, stupid passtime for the brain dead imo........and we''re sure it was Holt who said it are we?[/quote]...... is that why people like our very own Stephen fry and sir Alan sugar tweet ? Hardly brain dead are they? Some people would say similar for someone that has made nearly 17000 comments on a message board.......[/quote]Imagine it Wiz only had 140 characters!  The world would be a better place. [;)][/quote]

[/quote]No.  You would simply copy someone else''s tweet about their breakfast and post it here with a "look at me" threadline along the lines of "Delia facing ruin! [H]", then when you got some justifiable stick you''d start bleating on about shooting the messenger.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Bryangunnshairline"][quote user="First Wizard"]I''ve always thought that twitting was for tw*ts, stupid passtime for the brain dead imo........and we''re sure it was Holt who said it are we?[/quote]...... is that why people like our very own Stephen fry and sir Alan sugar tweet ? Hardly brain dead are they? Some people would say similar for someone that has made nearly 17000 comments on a message board.......[/quote]

Imagine it Wiz only had 140 characters!  The world would be a better place. [;)]
[/quote]

[/quote]

No.  You would simply copy someone else''s tweet about their breakfast and post it here with a "look at me" threadline along the lines of "Delia facing ruin! [H]", then when you got some justifiable stick you''d start bleating on about shooting the messenger.

[/quote]

[Y]

I saw this and thought it rather funny, juxtaposed with this thread and the fact we''re playing them this weekend!...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-16983788

[quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]

Is anyone watching sky sports news right now?

Dwight york is looking really black tonight, do black people use fake tan? maybe its cos he''s wearing a black suit?

[/quote][:O] [H] [8-|] [um]

[quote user="lake district canary"]

It''s not common just for welsh people to do this, you may say, and this is true, but it doesn''t happen so much with the scots who I also meet alot of where I live.   Wales is so close to the main part of England and this is the problem for them.   It is prescribed in the genes of their nationality  to get one over the English at any and every opportunity.   I''m sorry if this sounds racist or xenophobic and there are bound to be some nice welsh people out there, but its just what I have found through experience.   

So a little harmless banter about he welsh is not too bad in my book!

Sounds like the "chip on the shoulder" is your domain! [:P]

[/quote]

Lets just turn the issue around a little bit.  If it had been Joey Barton and he''d used the word "Africans" rather "Welsh" how many people would have been quite so supportive?I do agree that the comment wasnt racist - but it sailed very close to.  I reckon our number 9 will receive a bit of a b0ll0cking from Lambert...

[quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]

Is anyone watching sky sports news right now?

Dwight york is looking really black tonight, do black people use fake tan? maybe its cos he''s wearing a black suit?

[/quote]

Dwight Yorke is probably one the blackest footballer ever to play in the Premiership, George Ndah maybe?? Peter Ndlovu??

The blackest player to play for Norwich? Efan Ekoku or Dickson Etuhu?

Norfolk people are not Celts and Celts were not the original Britons.

There is still a significant gene pool of Britons within modern Britain and it sits within a wide range of people.

Norfolk, like most of the east coast has Scandinavian and Anglo-Saxon origins as can be seen in most of the place names. The county was then ruled by Danes and was part of the Danelaw while south of the Thames clung onto it''s Anglo-Saxon heritage to become England under Alfred The Great who acheived this with a little bit of education using the written word to form laws and underline Christian beliefs to which the Danes were progressively converted as England extended into it''s recognised boundaries.

The Romans tended to use indiginous tribal leaders as clients to rule. This was the role of Boudiccas old man but, when he shuffled off his mortal coil and she and her daughters were mistreated so she rebelled. Elsewhere, the arrangement worked pretty well until the Romans found they had more problems at home and withdrew (how history continues to repeat itself).

The Romans did have it in for the Druids though and these people were forced into the areas of broken ground such as Wales and Cornwall to escape persecution and to continue their culture which was passed on by memory. Wars always falter on broken ground. Cities are easy to take but rugged rural areas are not hence Afghanistan is not a winnable country.

Quoting the ''Oxford Names Companion ''Wales'' (Cymru). ''(Land of the) foreigners.'' OE walh (plural walas). The name was used by the Anglo-Saxons of the ''alien'' Celts. The Welsh name has a Celtic meaning ''compatriot.''

These ''aliens'' who fled the invading Saxons also went to ''Little Britain'' or Brittany where Breton is a sister language to Welsh and Cornish.

Some believe the Danelaw/Wessex divide was the origin of the North-South divide.

Personally, as far as I can tell I have a long Norfolk background although my mother''s side probably had Hanseatic origins and my family name could be Anglo-Norman. Other characteristics point to Scandinavia. We are pretty much all a mix but we tend to pick up local characteristics.

One final thing; we Anglo-Saxons were doing very well and had a thriving country until William The Bastard turned up. The Anglo-Saxons, the English (and the Scots) were asset stripped in favour of William''s loyal mates and with it came the British class system in which the English found themselves shoved right down the pecking order. This survives to today, particularly in the nobility.

Personally, I admire the Welsh culture and their language along with other minority languages like Gaelic and Cornish. It is something to celebrate as it identifies our history. I like to think Norfolk identity is strong to and manifests itself in the love of our premier football team.