Sign in to follow this  
Supermarket Prodigy

Grant Holt - Twitter v Swansea

[quote user="Beauseant"]Rather than wade through the semantics I''ll cut to the chase. The main issue here, which will, I suspect, have Lambert doing his nut, is that you do not write the opposing managers team talk for him, which is what Holty has done. Swansea don''t need any motivation so why gift them even more?[/quote]

The manager is Irish and we probably have as many Welshmen  as Swans do in the team. Do you seriously believe that Rogers needs to refer to something like this in a team talk, it`s not a Wales v England rugby international!

My conclusions.

1) Holty''s tweet wasn''t his cleverest.

2) Swansea fans really need to calm down, it''s banter nothing more.

3) To suppose Holt is a racist over that is pathetic, considering he plays with Andrew Crofts and Steve Morison.

4) It''s been blown out of proportion by those who stalk around looking for an opportunity to have a paddy, Holt wasn''t clever tweeting that - but Swansea fans chant far worse.

I don''t think Holt has a case to answer here. Swansea fans have to pipe down, calm down and move along. Let our teams do the talking on Saturday!

[quote user="Supermarket Prodigy"]My conclusions.

1) Holty''s tweet wasn''t his cleverest.

2) Swansea fans really need to calm down, it''s banter nothing more.

3) To suppose Holt is a racist over that is pathetic, considering he plays with Andrew Crofts and Steve Morison.

4) It''s been blown out of proportion by those who stalk around looking for an opportunity to have a paddy, Holt wasn''t clever tweeting that - but Swansea fans chant far worse.

I don''t think Holt has a case to answer here. Swansea fans have to pipe down, calm down and move along. Let our teams do the talking on Saturday![/quote]

What he said

Has he abused the Welsh? Not imo.

Is it racist? Well no, he hasn''t actually called them anything, defined them as anything, stereotyped them.

Could it be described as xenophobic? Just possibly.

Was it a joke? A bit of banter? Probably.

Should he have known better? Why? What has he done to regret?

Should we get over ourselves???????

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Never mind me though, let''s ask the United Nations what they think (thanks, Wiki):

the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin that has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.[12]

[/quote]

Sorry - this just encourages the NANNY state! I think "chill pills" all round are the order of the day.

We are not talking about national or ethnic origin - we are talking about BRITISH origin. There has always been lively banter between the Irish, Scots, Welsh and English - and we can get away with it because we are British. However, if a Russian or Chinese person had made those comments, then your point may apply. (Although, the Brits really don''t get too worked up about it). One only has to listen to Al Murray for example, does he get hauled up in front of the United Nations Courts of "making fun of non British people"?

What next - banter between Norwich and Ip5w1ch folk becoming classified as "discrimination" because we live in different counties?

There is a chasm between what GH said and, for instance, what Suarez was alleged to have said. The difference between the Welsh vs English chants, is that they are ALLOWED and not reported for "racial discrimination"  as even the most ardent Nanny State officianados know they would be ridiculed!

I suspect that GH did that on purpose as he thrives on opposition heckling. One only has to look at that famous picture of him walking away laughing after being harrangued by the Ip5w1ch crowd.[:D]

Seems to be a tongue in cheek comment. albeit badly approached. I assume Holty has no problems with his Welsh brothers Crofts and Morrison

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Jesus wept. Could everyone please put their big girl panties on and get over themselves.[/quote]

"Put their big girl panties on" .......   how very dare you!

Wow, this board has surpassed my expectations of utter ridiculusness today.There is plenty of national banter between all countries in the UK, even in the media in today''s world. The same goes for banter between the North and the South, what Holt has said is nothing more than that.Some of you have thrown this way out of proportion because of all the recent racisim debates surrounding flootball. The whole racism thing has been made into something it really didn''t need to. The terry and Suarez thing was debated for too long and should have been kept private. the media attention did nothing good for racism in football, in fact i think it has put us back a step or two because now the commentators don''t even know whether to say black or coloured.Long ago banter between the Welsh and the UK became acceptable in public, not just privately, i guarantee in 100 years the same will be true for banter between black and white people. The more people focus on the negative side of racism the longer it will go on, the quicker we move to accept banter between all races, the sooner racism will not be so prolific. I  am not sure my point is entirely clear here, what i mean is that banter is not the same as racism and the quicker we realise that what most people say, such as Holt in this situation, is banter and not racist the better off our world will be.I can put it in a chartStage 1                      Stage 2                                                   Stage 3Racism (bad) - Acceptable racism (scot, irish, welsh man joke) - banter (good)If we cannot joke about ourselves we should not be able to joke about anyone else, once the world reaches the stage (stage 3) where we can accept we are all different and can joke about it rather than hate people for it, we will be living in a much better world

From his time at Shrewsbury I reckon... They see the Welsh as a primitive tribe living across the nearby border.Holty just get''s better and better. [Y]

"Welsh brothers Crofts and Morrison"

they''re as Welsh me as both are very much from the home counties. Thames estuary.

Still, Holt has been a tad naive.

I will hear nothing bad said against our Welsh, Scottish, Irish, German, Argentinian or French friends. Footballs going to be a dull place in the future now though. Is there anyone left we can have a ''grudge match'' with? How about San Marino, they haven''t much of a population to upset.

I agree with Beauseant''s comments and Yellow Shirt describes social media very well: people treat it like a private chat forgetting the whole world can read it.

Wow some people on here are pathetic, ppl like mister chops are everything thats wrong with this world. Its bloody banter. Every body is so PC these days, thats why we dont have proper christmas anymore, we have the rubbish human rights law, you cant say or do anything more its pathetic, i actually hate ppl like this get a sense of humor and a life

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I agree with Beauseant''s comments and Yellow Shirt describes social media very well: people treat it like a private chat forgetting the whole world can read it.[/quote]

Is it like this message board?

I don''t want to sound like an old fart (am I being ageist for saying that btw?) but what happened to the days when we called the Welsh a bunch of sheep-shagging leek munchers, and they called us a load of toffee-nosed ponces....and we all just laughed about it?

As a Swansea fan and a Welshman can I say im embarrased by the reaction of the Swans fans on planetswans about this, looks like all the pc lot have jumped on Grant Holts comments, ( which are no way racist ). Anyway good luck for the rest of the season after Saturday.

It sums up the PC brigade on this forum perfectly I''m afraid.....Anally retentive and wooden.

Mr Brownstone said....

"Jesus wept. Could everyone please put their big girl panties on and get over themselves. "

Ahh no! Now we''re going to have people on here talking about sexism too.

Just for the record, if you want to put big boys panties on instead, then you have that choice. Some of my best friends are big girls panties, etc. etc.

The defence of "he plays with Crofts and Morison" doesn''t stand up as they''re about as Welsh as your or me!

That said... REALLY???? What Holt said was pure jest and anyone getting upset over it needs to take a long hard look in the mirror, remove that stick from their arse and chill out.

Honestly... however many taunts did we get from Cardiff and Swansea fans last season for being English?!?

The phrase "don''t dish it out if you can''t take it back" springs to mind.

Oh! I do like to be beside the seaside
I do like to be beside the sea!
I do like to stroll upon the Prom, Prom, Prom!
Where the brass bands play:
"Tiddely-om-pom-pom!"......................................

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Oh! I do like to be beside the seaside
I do like to be beside the sea!
I do like to stroll upon the Prom, Prom, Prom!
Where the brass bands play:
"Tiddely-om-pom-pom!"......................................
[/quote]

Oh! I do like to be a fan of  Norwich!

I do like to be a Norwich fan! 

I do like to jump upon a taff taff taff

They speak all weird

and make us laugh laugh laugh!