Sign in to follow this  
Excited Canary

Norwich a long ball team

Just listening to the interviews of Ward and Holty and reading Fox''s twitter they all seemed to think people had the perception of us as a long ball team. Fox: ''Great result today.. Never easy going to the nou camp but for a long ball team we did ok!!''

Ward said something a long the lines of "We like to play good football like Swansea, despite what people say" and Holt also said something about people calling us a long ball team as well as "We talked a lot this week about what they were like when they won last year, and for a lot of us it was stuck in the back of our mind - we had a point to prove".

Anyone else get the feeling the lads don''t like Swansea too much, or more to the point the media loving of Swansea?!

While we all realise Swansea are a very good team and will probably stay up many people have become sick of the Swansea "love in" by the media yet we''ve been been almost completely overlooked at times despite being above them for most of the season!

Norwich are neither a long ball ball team or anything else because we''re bits of everything and we adjust our style to the game we''re playing in!

Look at the stats yesterday and Norwich indeed outplayed and outpassed Swansea but only just!

I think the result at the Liberty last season may also have had an impact, I reckon that probably hurt the players and Lambert.

My friend who''s a West Brom fan reckons we are a long ball team ....  our wins against them wern''t very pretty so I can see why he has that opinion.In general I feel we mix it up allot & sometimes with Holt & Moro upfront long ball is a wise choice.

There is no way we are a long ball side - we just dont have te physicality needed for that style of play. There is a huge difference between lumping it aimlessly and playing long passes, a la Fox et al. What we do is we mix it up and are probably much the same as most other sides in that respect.

I think what this highlights is that we are not afraid to vary the way we play to match up against the opposition.

At West Brom we did hit a lot of long passes into the channels for our strikers to run on to. The difference between that tactic and a long ball team is the word ''passes''.

On other occasions, particularly at home with Foxy at the base of the diamond formation, we play a short passing style.

The fact that we have scored a lot of headed goals this season has also added to the long ball team perception of some opposition fans. What this fails to recognise is that far from hit and hope crosses many of these goals have come from well-worked moves that have stretched opposition defences creating space for a cross and headed goal (e.g. Surman at Wolves)

We can play long ball when we need to but then we can play pretty football too. Stoke Fc have managed to stay in the prem doing this and are now changing their game with a few flair players. It''s the way to do it in your early days in the premiership. Now we are safe we will start to play nicer and we will be the new swansea.

They definitely had a point to prove, and it was pure ecstacy to see that smug look on Graham''s face wiped off when they went 3-1 down!!!!

I think we play direct (normally) but that does not mean we are a long ball side; we move it from back to front very quickly and we seek to exploit the break a lot but we do not (normally) hit long balls into a target man looking for the knock down. Confusing direct football with long ball is a common mistake but it just demonstrates the speakers ignorance rather than our ''lack of quality''.With regard to the players comments - it think there may have been some sarcasm there, the nou camp comment shows that the players are getting sick of the ridiculous comparison between Swansea and Barca...I mean really, Swansea aren''t even close to Arsenal or Spurs ( the best English footballing sides) let alone the world''s best footballing side!

[quote user="BW"]We can play long ball when we need to but then we can play pretty football too. Stoke Fc have managed to stay in the prem doing this and are now changing their game with a few flair players. It''s the way to do it in your early days in the premiership. Now we are safe we will start to play nicer and we will be the new swansea.[/quote]

Who the hell wants to be anything to do with Swansea? I can''t believe the rubbish that people pick up and regurgitate from a few idiots who appear on the television. I watched Swansea play 30 passes in their own half earlier in the season at Carrow Road on more than one occasion before ending up with their keeper. Keeping possession is all very well but it has to have an end product. 28 goals scored in 25 games is not my idea of heaven or so called "total football".

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="BW"]We can play long ball when we need to but then we can play pretty football too. Stoke Fc have managed to stay in the prem doing this and are now changing their game with a few flair players. It''s the way to do it in your early days in the premiership. Now we are safe we will start to play nicer and we will be the new swansea.[/quote]

Who the hell wants to be anything to do with Swansea? I can''t believe the rubbish that people pick up and regurgitate from a few idiots who appear on the television. I watched Swansea play 30 passes in their own half earlier in the season at Carrow Road on more than one occasion before ending up with their keeper. Keeping possession is all very well but it has to have an end product. 28 goals scored in 25 games is not my idea of heaven or so called "total football".

[/quote]

I have to leap to defend BW here, I think he means we will start to become who the media talk about, rather than the way Swansea play etc

West Brom are a better side away than at home because they excel at hitting sides on the break.

Norwich went there, sat deep to nullify the West Brom method and hit back by long forward balls into space, and it worked.

Is this where the ''long ball'' thing came from? I will admit, our midfielders seldom run any distance with the ball but we are certainly a passing and entertaining side.

Up until a couple of weeks ago the stats on whoscored.com were showing that we played more long balls per match than any other team in the Premier League. Second in that table? Tottenham. I haven''t checked agin since then but it shows that you can play it long regularly and still be an entertaining side which plays good football.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]

I have to leap to defend BW here, I think he means we will start to become who the media talk about, rather than the way Swansea play etc

[/quote]

I am not so sure. He also says "we will start to play nicer". What on earth does that mean?