Sign in to follow this  
Horse Manure

Fellow Fathers/Mothers

Not being local, it was always a challenge getting my son to stick with Norwich and not losing him to one of the glamour clubs. Took him to CR from an early age and would not take him anywhere else so if he wanted to watch live football, that was his only choice. By about 10 he was hooked anyway so not to worry. Barring the odd memorable occasion (Play off final and brief stay in Prem) he has not had much to shout about.

After the relegation to League 1, I felt a touch of guilt that I had burdened him with a team that was in decline and that he would never get to see his team enjoy the good times again. To his credit, he embraced the chance to visit some new grounds and we had some memorable away days that season. He was proud to be a part of the yellow army and the fact that we had such a big following.

What has happened over the last few seasons has been amazing for an old hand like me but I am more pleased for the lad who is absolutely loving it at the moment.

To all the other teenagers out there with similar experiences, i would like to say thank you and well done for sticking with us. There will no doubt be plenty more ups and downs for Norwich in your lifetime but bloody enjoy the present. You can tell your own children ''I was there during the Lambert era'' . Make sure they continue the good work and don''t forget to thank your own parents for giving you the gift of Norwich City

I reckon this deserves a reply....My two lads were brought up in the south of England due to family reasons and spent all of their childhood surrounded by local kids in Man U... Arsenal... Liverpool... Leeds... (whoever was doing well) kits. They took plenty of flak... but both were good little players themselves (one now in an academy) and they let that do the talking for them. Neither waivered throughout it all and remain big City followers.It''s brilliant for them that City are no longer a media joke outfit and are having the last laugh among their mates these days.That''s the strange thing about NCFC.... once you''re bitten it never seems to leave you.

I remember sitting in the home end when we got demolished 6-0 at Craven Cottage when I was about 8. It was embarrassing going back to school to get taunted by all the glory supporting mates, and it only went and got worse and by the time we were in League One it was devastating. However...League One was awesome as it was the first real time I had experienced Norwich consistently winning games and the away days were quality. What has happened since then is unbelievable and I no longer have to wear my Norwich scarf to school in the winter awaiting stick...I can wear it with pride!I have my dad to thank for getting me into this amazing club - Through the ups and down Norwich City til I die!

Thanks to CrabbyCanary I took my oldest to his first game last week aainst Bolton. It is a 600 mile round trip, but luckly we had rellies to stay at. Having been forcing NCFC on them all since birth - including singing them to sleep with "On the ball, City!" - it was good for him to finally see the boys in action. Obviously he had a great day and saw a great win and performance, which has just re-inforced the fact that although we are 300 miles away - we are all Norwich Fans!! He had to do the whole show and tell thing at school (in Welsh!), now some of his mates are following Norwich too!

Yellow and green bedrooms?Club shop curtains, duvet covers and lampshade?

i have sons who are yellow through and through . one of them queued all night for wolves away play off game . i knew then he was devoted . the younger one came home from school on day and said he was going to be a Man U fan to which the answer was fine BUT i wont be taking you to any football if you want to watch live football you''re welcome to join me at Carrow road.they have both turned out to be proper fans.

also half of these boys and girls who support the so called glamour clubs have never been or only the once or twice to the grounds of there so called teams. i''m sure most of them think old trafford is 40" big (tv size dependent ) and Mr Rooney is inches high .

bring them up to support your local team and they feel part of it OTBC

[quote user="Alan BowCLUCK"]Yellow and green bedrooms?Club shop curtains, duvet covers and lampshade?[/quote]

Yes been there and done all that. Not the most popular colours when you come to sell your house though!

I took my daughter to her 1st match in 1997 when she was 8 years old on a cold wed night against Barnet, ever since then she has been hooked on NCFC. she too has had to put up with a lot of stick over the years from the glory hunters (and there are many of them in these parts).We dont get to to many matches but go whenever we can (only Man City away this year, so far.)But i am really proud of her for sticking with us through the bad and the good times. (cold at Yeovil,soaked at Swindon) and I for one hope she gets a taste of Wembley with us as i did all them years ago (1985) 

Interesting post. I never liked football until my dad made me go to a game against forest in 88 (I think) and from that moment on was hooked. There''s nothing like carrow road on match days, truly magical. Even led to me playing amateur footy enjoying the highs of that along with the lows. For all of this I thank my Norwich supporting dad. OTBC

[quote user="Horse Manure"][quote user="Alan BowCLUCK"]Yellow and green bedrooms?Club shop curtains, duvet covers and lampshade?[/quote]

Yes been there and done all that. Not the most popular colours when you come to sell your house though![/quote]Yes I had the same issue too when I sold mine..... [:D]Not too many teams who wear magnolia though.

Great post! I wen to my first game at the age of nine and then signed up for season ticket the following season and have not looked back! We got promoted on my 13th year of going to games so 13... yea unlucky for some but not for me and where ncfc are cocnerned!

I managed to "brainwash" my two eldest sons, who are both still 100% Canary. I did fail miserably with the youngest, who has no interest in football - but in all honesty, I prefer this to him being a "glory supporter" of Man U/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea, etc.

[quote user="Alan BowCLUCK"]Not too many teams who wear magnolia though. [/quote]There was the infamous Liverpool ''ecru'' coloured kit...that was fairly close to magnolia!Back OT however, and I know exactly where a lot of people are coming from. At times I feel like the only Norwich supporter anywhere near Rotherham (met 1 other fan in all my time here), so that makes it even more difficult for my son when he''s surrounded by the usual ''big club'' suspects, as well as the locals like Sheff Utd/Wed, Rotherham, Leeds etc.But there isn''t another club like Norwich in the league, there''s some undefinable quality there that draws you in and keeps you held, regardless of results or league position, which combined with the great community around the club makes it unbeatable IMHO.Forget 75,000 seater stadiums, Oligarchs and glory-hunting - THIS IS NORWICH!