Sign in to follow this  
Oz Canary

2012 Survival and 2012/2013 Season

Once we have mathematically secured premiership survival for next season I am sure that PL, McNally and Bowkett will start and get to work on the squad list for next year.

It''s my firm belief that next year will be every bit as tough as we will not have that element of "surprise" and teams will come prepared to play us and not just have pencilled in our games as an automatic 3 points.

In light of this, who would you like to see us get for next season since we have a bit more money. I am not sure if PL can find anymore "hidden gems" apart from maybe Snodgrass(who I would love to see in green & yellow). 

I think we should make a bit more of a concerted effort to get in some more experienced Premiership players. Not big time Charlie''s but just good quality, hard working professionals with the team ethos that PL seeks.

Any thoughts. 

I am sure they will strengthen but the "problem" is that the whole squad has stepped upto the mark this season when needed so it might be a case of "if it aint broke don''t mend it." We also have two window signings and Vaughan to be added when they are all fit. 

Yes, there will always be a need to improve, but that probably means actually stepping into the "big time Charlies" market which might upset the apple cart re: wages. Neither do these players, or any Premiership player for that matter, come cheap. Many a club has landed themselves in trouble in the last few years by adopting the high spending  approach and one of them, Portsmouth, could even fold, another, West Ham got relegated and Everton are skint (but paradoxically are doing well.) There are others.

PL will probably have his biggest transfer money pot to date, so the likes of Snodgrass would be feasable and there is always the liklihood that he may get a name from abroad, especially from Germany.

The current system is working well so I doubt that it will be changed. Like this season, it might be a case of looking at the situation at the winter window before dipping into the market overmuch.

I tend to have a conservative approach these days, so forgive me if I come over as being unambitious. 

[quote user="Bovril"]Kyle Naughton £3-4mill Chris Gunter £1m Quick Striker £4-5m[/quote]

Yes, of course, I forgot Naughton Bovril. He is a priority.

I don''t know much about Gunter and a quick striker of Prem. class for £4-5m is a big ask these days. 

Naughton might come back into our thinking particulary if Harry takes the England job.

The next manager may not see the value in Kyle like we do.

I think 3-4 million seems a bit high though.

There won''t be a lot of activity in the summer but there is definitely room for improvement.

Plenty of fringe players that aren''t going to get a look in that can be upgraded with first team players; Lappin, Wilbraham, Barnett for example.

I think Naughton will come back here. I think I''m right in saying that his contract runs out so we can get him on a free. Sadly, he is too young for Bosman rules, so we''d have to pay compensation (like Man City did for Angus Gunn). That''d probably work out cheaper than bidding for him..

Gunter will cost a lot more than £1M, considering we apparently enquired with a test the water bid of about £2.5 which was declined.. He''s a lad I''d like to see us go after if we don''t get Naughton.

That aside, it''s worth mentioning that Howson and Bennett have simply be brought in for building for next season. Lambert already knows we have a good chance of staying up, may as well start investing now!

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

and Everton are skint (but paradoxically are doing well.) There are others.

[/quote]

Interesting that you mention Everton, Broadstairs, but I do see a lot of parallels between them and Norwich. Both have a owner/chairman/CEO who live in something akin to the real world. Both have a passionate, loyal fanbase with superb away following. Both have a manager who seems to get the best out of average players. Both are teams that punch above their weight.

I think Moyes is a fantastic manager, as he was at Preston before. I suspect PL uses him and O''Neill as role models . And there lies the key to how we will progress next season. In addition to breeding the  Rooneys, and Rodwells of this world, Moyes has been particularly successful at luring medium size talent to Goodison. People like Fellaini , Donovan, Neville, Howard,  and Heitinga . I suspect that over the course of the next couple of years, PL will have to up the ante a little if he wants to see Norwich progress further. We clearly will never have the sort of dosh that will allow us to sign the big time charlies, nor would Lambert want to, but I do see players from medium sized clubs both here and in Europe wearing the yellow shirt soon.

I wouldn''t say £1 million is an offer Forest would reject in the summer, AJ. Depending on circumstances, if they go down they will have to get some high earners off the wage bill and I know Forest are in some trouble financially already.

I still think we will go on for Snodgrass and Naughton next summer. I''d like us to get a good defensive midfielder, we lack physical presence in the centre mid and a striker.

I would like us to buy Knaughton who has been outstanding this season. Priority #1.

I would also like us to go after Chris Eagles, especially if Bolton are relegated. Eagles is a quality young player who I believe is a much better player than Snodgrass.

Wes Morgan left to Leicester for around 1 million supposedly, and if Forest go down you can expect demands to drop even further. They did pay nearer 2 million for Gunter a few years ago though, and I think that even if they went down you''d be looking at nearer 2 million than 1 for him.